U Iowa 2010 App Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
robin600

Gold

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Post by robin600 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:22 pm

thepcv wrote:Woah!

Just learned that I've been given a full ride! A combination of tuition grants, RA grants and an RA position. That definitely puts Iowa at the top of my list so far!
stats??? applied/complete??? CONGRATS!!!!

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:46 pm

robin600 wrote:

Just learned that I've been given a full ride! A combination of tuition grants, RA grants and an RA position. That definitely puts Iowa at the top of my list so far!
GPA: 3.08
LSAT: 163
Sent: 10/23 Complete: ~11/03 Decision: 12/11

I also had a bunch of softs: Peace Corps, misc. volunteer exp., an MA, and a few years of work exp., too.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:05 pm

thepcv wrote:
robin600 wrote:

I also had a bunch of softs: Peace Corps, misc. volunteer exp., an MA, and a few years of work exp., too.
OMG this gives me hope for a nice scholly!!!!!! I had a decision on 12/15 163/3.65, I would def. take Iowa with a full ride. I hope I have a chance, you think? Congrats again, so jealous right now...

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:31 pm

robin600 wrote:
thepcv wrote:
robin600 wrote:

OMG this gives me hope for a nice scholly!!!!!! I had a decision on 12/15 163/3.65, I would def. take Iowa with a full ride. I hope I have a chance, you think? Congrats again, so jealous right now...
You've totally got a shot! Best of luck!!! and Thanks for the congrats!!

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:15 am

Nice. Congrats.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:42 am

Congrats! Law Opportunity Fellowship here too. 159, 3.74, interesting softs.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:36 pm

I have pretty interesting background too (blindness, surgeries then 4.0 semesters) so I'm hoping that helps. Do you think I'll probably find out next week? I'm considering calling them and telling them I'd attend if they gave me the full ride position, is this a good idea (I would)?

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:59 pm

robin600 wrote:I have pretty interesting background too (blindness, surgeries then 4.0 semesters) so I'm hoping that helps. Do you think I'll probably find out next week? I'm considering calling them and telling them I'd attend if they gave me the full ride position, is this a good idea (I would)?
I wouldnt call them. They will give out offers as they see fit. Calling them just seems like a bad bad route to go.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:01 pm

robin600 wrote:I have pretty interesting background too (blindness, surgeries then 4.0 semesters) so I'm hoping that helps. Do you think I'll probably find out next week? I'm considering calling them and telling them I'd attend if they gave me the full ride position, is this a good idea (I would)?
If you are going to do this, do it through a letter or an email followed up with a letter. Also, if would help if you have a comparable offer from a similar school, to bargain with. If they wanted to give you the full ride, they would have. But, you never know if you don't try!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:05 pm

Veritas wrote:
If you are going to do this, do it through a letter or an email followed up with a letter. Also, if would help if you have a comparable offer from a similar school, to bargain with. If they wanted to give you the full ride, they would have. But, you never know if you don't try!
TITCR. Bargain when you have the offer. Dont do it before.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:53 pm

sckon wrote:
Veritas wrote:
TITCR. Bargain when you have the offer. Dont do it before.
Even if it's like you give me the money I will attend kind of thing? If I don't get money from Iowa, I'm not attending hands down. I was accepted on 12/15 and they have only got up to 12/11 decisions so far so I don't think they are there to me yet, but if I don't hear back from them this week, I think I might contact them. I feel like a phone call is more personable than a letter though, why do you say a letter?

realworldescapee

New

Post by realworldescapee » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:14 pm

Last edited by realworldescapee on Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Padimud

Bronze

Post by Padimud » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:18 pm

I have had correspondence with a Professor who sent an "inquiry to the scholarship committee" regarding my file. A piece of an e-mail I received from them is as follows:

"I want to let you know that scholarship award consideration and the actual sending of scholarship awards for the group of admitted applicants that you are placed with will commence during the week of January 15.

You have been nominated for scholarship consideration. Our goal is to have an answer about the actual scholarship award for you during the week of January 15.

I hope this information helps."

So for those of you who were accepted via e-mail on 12/01 like I was . . . Don't lose hope in seeing scholarships. . . atleast not yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:25 pm

thepcv wrote:
robin600 wrote:

oh yea, and the URM soft. Congrats. Full ride is huge

tamlyric

Silver

Post by tamlyric » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Padimud wrote:I have had correspondence with a Professor who sent an "inquiry to the scholarship committee" regarding my file. A piece of an e-mail I received from them is as follows:

"I want to let you know that scholarship award consideration and the actual sending of scholarship awards for the group of admitted applicants that you are placed with will commence during the week of January 15.

You have been nominated for scholarship consideration. Our goal is to have an answer about the actual scholarship award for you during the week of January 15.

So for those of you who were accepted via e-mail on 12/01 like I was . . . Don't lose hope in seeing scholarships. . . atleast not yet.
Nice, padimud! At least that makes more sense, eh. :D

Padimud

Bronze

Post by Padimud » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:57 pm

tamlyric wrote:
Padimud wrote:I have had correspondence with a Professor who sent an "inquiry to the scholarship committee" regarding my file. A piece of an e-mail I received from them is as follows:

Yes yes it does.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:28 pm

Padimud wrote:
tamlyric wrote:

Yes yes it does.
Padimud, did you email them first or did they just send this to you?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

catharsis

Bronze

Post by catharsis » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:44 pm

does Iowa issue out fee waivers?

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:56 pm

catharsis wrote:does Iowa issue out fee waivers?
Yes.
Application Fee
A non-refundable $60 fee ($100 for international students) is required of all applicants and must accompany the application in order for a request for admission to be considered. If you apply online, the $60 fee ($100 for international students) is payable by MasterCard or Visa. If you cannot pay by credit card, you may download and print an application and pay the fee by check or money order in U.S. currency made payable to "The University of Iowa." Please do not send cash. The University generally does not waive the application fee. If you seek a waiver, you must submit a written request and a recent FAFSA or income tax statement along with your application.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:41 pm

I don't think they really do CRS waivers.

In other news, still no scholly info yet, I'm starting to get worried....

Vincent Vega

Silver

Post by Vincent Vega » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:18 am

I had a fee waiver from Iowa. I emailed for a merit-based waiver and received one. 165/3.92

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sckon

Silver

Post by sckon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:08 am

Halibut6 wrote:I had a fee waiver from Iowa. I emailed for a merit-based waiver and received one. 165/3.92

I believe there is a form online where all you have to do is print off your LSAT score and mail it to them. I got it this way and also one unsolicited through email.

BiddyPocket

New

Post by BiddyPocket » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:43 pm

Accepted :D.

LSAT: 155
GPA: 3.90

Definitely in my top few, but who knows at this point. Good luck all!

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:50 pm

C'mon Iowa, let me in!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:30 pm

Slimpee wrote:C'mon Iowa, let me in!
Slimpee, I def. think next week will bode well for you!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”