U Iowa 2010 App Cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Jerome

Bronze

Re: U Iowa 2010 App Cycle

Post by Jerome » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:07 pm

jaskat wrote:Congrats to the recent admits.
+1.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:08 pm

Congrats to today's admits. I'm jealous, I really am. Wonder when they're gonna start second review...

taw856

Bronze

Post by taw856 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:14 pm

Thanks for the congrats.
sebastian0622 wrote:How long has it been taking for you all to hear back?
FWIW, I applied 1/9, went complete 1/22 and heard today.

EDIT: To correct dates.
Last edited by taw856 on Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texasforever

New

Post by texasforever » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:02 pm

went complete on 11/30; heard back today.. reverse splitters are always on the silet waitlist: we boost the GPA signifcantly but don't really hurt the LSAT medians if they let 10 or so 3.9+'s in; scholarships are all LSAT though unfortunately

extempore88

New

Post by extempore88 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:06 pm

Last edited by extempore88 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:16 pm

for the new admits, here's slimpee's thread on the admitted students' day. join us.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:04 pm

Congrats to new admits!

Nobody for partial schollys? anyone? Bueller? When I talked to Mr. Byrd in Feb. he said I was nominated but I have yet to hear, but from what I've seen on LSN and here, nobody has...right?

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:08 pm

dt22 wrote:for the new admits, here's slimpee's thread on the admitted students' day. join us.
Post fail :D . Here's the thread...

dt22

Bronze

Post by dt22 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:36 pm

Slimpee wrote:
dt22 wrote:for the new admits, here's slimpee's thread on the admitted students' day. join us.
Post fail :D . Here's the thread...

hahahaha it's 3am where I am!!!
(whispers "not really")

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:36 am

How does one find out if one is nominated for a scholarship? (I don't think I am because of my low stats, but one can hope)

Slimpee

Silver

Post by Slimpee » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:47 am

jaskat wrote:How does one find out if one is nominated for a scholarship? (I don't think I am because of my low stats, but one can hope)
Call and ask

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:13 pm

I was told that it's unlikely they will be giving out many new scholarships as they have handed out about all they have. They said I'd very likely have gotten a full ride two months ago, but now it is "probably not going to happen". They didn't close the door, but made it sound like I'd have to deposit and ride that out until late May to have a better chance.

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:12 pm

Slimpee wrote:
jaskat wrote:How does one find out if one is nominated for a scholarship? (I don't think I am because of my low stats, but one can hope)
Call and ask
While I was not told that I would likely have been given a full-ride (I wish), I did call and was told that they are unlikely to give out more scholarships prior to late April/early May, once they have a better idea of how many students to whom they have awarded money will actually attend. Now, the lady I spoke to was very nice and may have just told me that to soften the blow, but I doubt it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thepcv

Bronze

Post by thepcv » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:31 pm

Jerome wrote:
Slimpee wrote:
Call and ask
While I was not told that I would likely have been given a full-ride (I wish), I did call and was told that they are unlikely to give out more scholarships prior to late April/early May, once they have a better idea of how many students to whom they have awarded money will actually attend. Now, the lady I spoke to was very nice and may have just told me that to soften the blow, but I doubt it.
That actually makes sense, since we have to contact them and let them know if we're accepting the scholarship before April 1st. For those of you still waiting for $$, good luck!!!!

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:28 pm

Iowa at full ride vs Illinois at 50%..any advice?

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:03 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:Iowa at full ride vs Illinois at 50%..any advice?

Preference and finance should obviously be the determining factors. Both schools are very closely ranked, and their difference in ability to get jobs in the Chicago market is negligible (so I hear). Both campuses are absolutely beautiful, both campuses have world class facilities, both colleges have excellent clinics and other opportunities.

If you attend one or the other university for undergraduate study and have friends or family around that college, obviously this should be a big factor in attending that particular university. Also, as you mentioned, you've received sizable scholarships from both colleges, Iowa being more generous in their offer. Not knowing your personal financial situation (including your parents willingness to finance your study) or what field of law you plan on going into, it is hard to make a suggest one way or another. One thing you should consider is Illinois' LRAP as well as federal LRAP's if you choose to go to U of I.

Personally, as an Illinois undergraduate, I loved it, but the decision is yours...good luck!

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:16 pm

brickman wrote:
Both schools are very closely ranked, and their difference in ability to get jobs in the Chicago market is negligible (so I hear).
Woaah, where exactly did you hear that? My impression has always been UIUC places pretty damn well in Chicago compared to Iowa, IUB, Wisconsin, even Notre Dame.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:41 pm

traehekat wrote:
brickman wrote:
Both schools are very closely ranked, and their difference in ability to get jobs in the Chicago market is negligible (so I hear).
Woaah, where exactly did you hear that? My impression has always been UIUC places pretty damn well in Chicago compared to Iowa, IUB, Wisconsin, even Notre Dame.
Obviously my sources are less good then yours! What I had heard was the UIUC was 3rd in placing graduates in BIGLAW jobs, but in other categories, I had read that they were similarly reputable. My eyes are now open to new sources, present them.

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:07 pm

brickman wrote:
traehekat wrote:
brickman wrote:
Obviously my sources are less good then yours! What I had heard was the UIUC was 3rd in placing graduates in BIGLAW jobs, but in other categories, I had read that they were similarly reputable. My eyes are now open to new sources, present them.
Haha well like I said, it was just the impression I have gotten from other posts around here. I think most people have seemed to believe UIUC places considerably better than Iowa, but perhaps most people have specifically referred to biglaw placement, which wouldn't surprise me since most people on this board are interested in biglaw.

brickman

Bronze

Post by brickman » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:14 pm

traehekat wrote:
Haha well like I said, it was just the impression I have gotten from other posts around here. I think most people have seemed to believe UIUC places considerably better than Iowa, but perhaps most people have specifically referred to biglaw placement, which wouldn't surprise me since most people on this board are interested in biglaw.
I think we are in an informational vacuum regarding any other type of law on TLS...or so it seems. In any case, I think I would be perfectly thrilled to go to either school, who doesn't have Midwest love?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:01 am

brickman wrote:In any case, I think I would be perfectly thrilled to go to either school, who doesn't have Midwest love?
The freaks out there who don't like corn, that's who! :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:02 am

I am hoping to get into biglaw in Chicago. Iowa's offer means i will graduate with less than 10k in debt. Illinois however seems to be superior in placing grads in the Chicago firms.....

Jerome

Bronze

Post by Jerome » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:35 am

itsmytime10 wrote:I am hoping to get into biglaw in Chicago. Iowa's offer means i will graduate with less than 10k in debt. Illinois however seems to be superior in placing grads in the Chicago firms.....
Illinois is better at placing in biglaw firms than Iowa. Presumably, grads from each are competing at the same Chicago firms.

See: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:40 am

itsmytime10 wrote:I am hoping to get into biglaw in Chicago. Iowa's offer means i will graduate with less than 10k in debt. Illinois however seems to be superior in placing grads in the Chicago firms.....
Did you receive any scholarship for UIUC? The difference in BigLaw placement isn't too much, and certainly not enough to make up for a difference in 50-60k in debt. Go to Iowa!

Undergradut

New

Post by Undergradut » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:25 pm

Jerome wrote:
Illinois is better at placing in biglaw firms than Iowa. Presumably, grads from each are competing at the same Chicago firms.

See: http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Illinois placed a higher percentage of grads than Iowa into BigLaw, generally speaking. I am sure it placed an even higher percentage of grads than Iowa into BigLaw in Chicago.

I wonder what percentage of Iowa grads who get BigLaw jobs are getting those in Chicago. I imagine it is a higher percentage than grads going to any other city. When I looked over the 2009 summer associates list, though, I was surprised by how many were working for BigLaw firms outside of Chicago, especially noticeable was Minneapolis, but also cities like Kansas City, Omaha, and Milwaukee were represented.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”