Chapman Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Re: Chapman

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:32 pm

MixedGirl2009 wrote:Can anyone clarify the ranking system for me - if Chapman is third tier, how are people saying that it may move up to top 100 soon? Do the rankings basically go from top 100 to tier 3 (300s) and tier 4 (400s) with nothing in between?

What I am about to say is all according to the statistics that were shown by former Dean Eastman at one of the school's luncheons not too long ago. He said that they hired some statistician to break down the US News Rankings into the categories that would give them the most boost. That same guy developed an equation that, if they followed, would put them in the top 100. Based on the statistics that they generated, they should crack the top 100 this year. He said they would have cracked the top 100 last year, but US News decided to change their target for tier 2 to a little higher, which put them a little bit outside of the tier 2 (or top 100) ranking.

MixedGirl2009

New

Post by MixedGirl2009 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:48 pm

GoodToBeTheKing wrote:
MixedGirl2009 wrote:Can anyone clarify the ranking system for me - if Chapman is third tier, how are people saying that it may move up to top 100 soon? Do the rankings basically go from top 100 to tier 3 (300s) and tier 4 (400s) with nothing in between?

What I am about to say is all according to the statistics that were shown by former Dean Eastman at one of the school's luncheons not too long ago. He said that they hired some statistician to break down the US News Rankings into the categories that would give them the most boost. That same guy developed an equation that, if they followed, would put them in the top 100. Based on the statistics that they generated, they should crack the top 100 this year. He said they would have cracked the top 100 last year, but US News decided to change their target for tier 2 to a little higher, which put them a little bit outside of the tier 2 (or top 100) ranking.
HMmmm interesting. Yet the question is whether US news will stick to their system or that of this new guy, so is Dean Eastman basically saying that Chapman is now a tier 2? I did recognize that their entering numbers are almost a tier 2 i.e. only a few points away from Loyola's.

GoodToBeTheKing

Bronze

Post by GoodToBeTheKing » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:56 pm

MixedGirl2009 wrote:
GoodToBeTheKing wrote:

HMmmm interesting. Yet the question is whether US news will stick to their system or that of this new guy, so is Dean Eastman basically saying that Chapman is now a tier 2? I did recognize that their entering numbers are almost a tier 2 i.e. only a few points away from Loyola's.

Yeah the assumption that Eastman made is that US News will not change their standard target for what a Tier 2 must be. That is, the equation to determine a school's ranking will not change for this year. I assume from this that the statistician can only look at previous data to determine what the equation might be, and he/she can't be forward looking.

mjs92983

New

Post by mjs92983 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:29 am

I'd be interested to know those numbers are seeing that 40% of the rankings are based on reputation. (which is crazy) Below is a link to an interesting article about Chapman and rankings in general.

http://agoraphilia.blogspot.com/2006/06 ... chool.html

MixedGirl2009

New

Post by MixedGirl2009 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:27 pm

mjs92983 wrote:I'd be interested to know those numbers are seeing that 40% of the rankings are based on reputation. (which is crazy) Below is a link to an interesting article about Chapman and rankings in general.

Interesting article! So how are most presidential scholars feeling about your likelihood of attending chapman this fall? I think i've narrowed it down to 2 choices and chapman is one of them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mjs92983

New

Post by mjs92983 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:41 pm

I'm pretty sure I'm going but there are a few things that would stop me. I had a few concerns about UCI's effect on the OC job market, if i get a great offer from Loyola, or if I notice any red flags go off when I visit for the scholars weekend thing.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:52 pm

MixedGirl2009 wrote:
mjs92983 wrote:I'd be interested to know those numbers are seeing that 40% of the rankings are based on reputation. (which is crazy) Below is a link to an interesting article about Chapman and rankings in general.

Interesting article! So how are most presidential scholars feeling about your likelihood of attending chapman this fall? I think i've narrowed it down to 2 choices and chapman is one of them.
its between chapman and loyola for me. scholars weekend and then a visit to loyola over spring break and i hopefully will be able to make a decision. right now, i'm leaning toward loyola

socalren

New

Post by socalren » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:53 pm

twert wrote:
MixedGirl2009 wrote:

its between chapman and loyola for me. scholars weekend and then a visit to loyola over spring break and i hopefully will be able to make a decision. right now, i'm leaning toward loyola
I hear you. I'm stuck between Chapman and USD. What scholarship offer did you get from Loyola? I'm looking forward to the Scholar's Weekend at Chapman-- hopefully that'll give us some solid measures to use in decision making.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:01 pm

I'm wondering about Chapman's employment stats. They have an inordinate and completely unusual number of people employed in academia according to their LSAC data. I'm definitely going to ask about that during the Scholar's Retreat.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mjs92983

New

Post by mjs92983 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:24 pm

Yeah, that is weird. Thanks for pointing that out.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:49 pm

socalren wrote:
I hear you. I'm stuck between Chapman and USD. What scholarship offer did you get from Loyola? I'm looking forward to the Scholar's Weekend at Chapman-- hopefully that'll give us some solid measures to use in decision making.
i got 17k renewable with top 30% from Loyola. its basically 42% scholarship at a t2 with a good alumni network but third it its market, or 100% scholarship at a t3 that is soon to be the second best school in its much smaller market.

I'm from SD and going into the cycle USD was my first choice but they are sitting on my application and i don't think they will give me enough money anyway.

84Sunbird2000

Silver

Post by 84Sunbird2000 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:08 pm

twert wrote:
socalren wrote:
i got 17k renewable with top 30% from Loyola. its basically 42% scholarship at a t2 with a good alumni network but third it its market, or 100% scholarship at a t3 that is soon to be the second best school in its much smaller market.

I'm from SD and going into the cycle USD was my first choice but they are sitting on my application and i don't think they will give me enough money anyway.
I withdrew from San Diego (with 25k per), so hopefully it opened up another spot and scholly for ya :).

MixedGirl2009

New

Post by MixedGirl2009 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:16 pm

twert wrote:
MixedGirl2009 wrote:

Loyola was also my top choice because of its connections to law firms in the los angeles area yet they didn't offer me money so they're out of the picture

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pauldoeslaw

New

Post by pauldoeslaw » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:55 am

MixedGirl2009 wrote:

I'm pretty high on Chapman right now, Pepperdine offered 25k a year, haven't heard back from LMU, USC, or UCLA yet, but I doubt the last two will give me much money at all. Considering my low interest in big firm work or corporate law, Chapman seems to be the good choice.

It doesn't seem like attending UCLA or USC at full cost would be prudent for me -- I'm almost certainly going to go into either government or the non-profit sector after graduation. What do you guys think?

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:44 am

pauldoeslaw wrote:
MixedGirl2009 wrote:

I'm pretty high on Chapman right now, Pepperdine offered 25k a year, haven't heard back from LMU, USC, or UCLA yet, but I doubt the last two will give me much money at all. Considering my low interest in big firm work or corporate law, Chapman seems to be the good choice.

It doesn't seem like attending UCLA or USC at full cost would be prudent for me -- I'm almost certainly going to go into either government or the non-profit sector after graduation. What do you guys think?
personally, i think ucla or usc are worth it at sticker no matter what you want to do afterward. if you really want little debt, go with Chapman but know that the gov/non-profit work you will have available will be in orange and very local. if that's fine with you chapman might be a good choice. i think however that with a better student body, probably better professors and definitely more opportunities you will be a better lawyer coming out of a ucla or usc than you would coming out of chapman.

i could be very wrong though.

pauldoeslaw

New

Post by pauldoeslaw » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:30 am

twert wrote:
pauldoeslaw wrote:
MixedGirl2009 wrote:

personally, i think ucla or usc are worth it at sticker no matter what you want to do afterward. if you really want little debt, go with Chapman but know that the gov/non-profit work you will have available will be in orange and very local. if that's fine with you chapman might be a good choice. i think however that with a better student body, probably better professors and definitely more opportunities you will be a better lawyer coming out of a ucla or usc than you would coming out of chapman.

i could be very wrong though.
UCLA and USC definitely would offer far more opportunities than Chapman ever could (though I am adamant about staying in LA long term). My concern is more on being able to pay off 175,000 in loans while making 50,000 a year. I don't want to be hamstrung financially for that long, especially since I still owe about 15,000 from undergrad.

mjs92983

New

Post by mjs92983 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:46 am

What about Loyola? I would think they would have offered you some money and allowed you to stay in the LA area.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pauldoeslaw

New

Post by pauldoeslaw » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:21 pm

mjs92983 wrote:What about Loyola? I would think they would have offered you some money and allowed you to stay in the LA area.
I guess my hopes aren't too high -- I haven't heard back from them yet, and I read that they average out LSAT scores. Unfortunately, there is a 10 point difference between my highest and lowest scores, so while I do believe that I'm competitive for acceptance, I do not believe that I am competitive for good money =[.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:16 pm

So it's official. Chapman's now #93.

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:47 am

So I sent in an application to Chapman 3 days ago. Any idea what kind of turnaround I can expect?

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:05 am

i've been complete since 3/1...still nothing

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

seriously

New

Post by seriously » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:48 pm

joonhp wrote:i've been complete since 3/1...still nothing

definitely email them!

vacations

Bronze

Post by vacations » Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:53 pm

I've been complete since 1/11 and no news either

So I should email the school? or will a phone call do ?

The word around TLS seems to be that contacting a school about your app is a big no-no.... =/

MixedGirl2009

New

Post by MixedGirl2009 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:11 pm

they might just be waiting until the first deposit deadline which i think is..today?

PogueMahone

New

Post by PogueMahone » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:22 pm

vacations wrote:I've been complete since 1/11 and no news either

So I should email the school? or will a phone call do ?

The word around TLS seems to be that contacting a school about your app is a big no-no.... =/
I went complete 1/7 and called Chapman last week asking what was up. I spoke to a couple of people and was eventually referred to the dean of admissions who told me that if I didn't have a decision by 4/19 I should call her directly. I got in on Monday with a 70% scholly so maybe give them a call to make sure everything's cool.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”