U of San Diego Fall 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby Veritas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:52 pm

erico wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:Just received my financial aid packet via email.

Damn, LS is expensive.

Is this the packet that tells everything - scholarship?

Yes, I was expecting it in the mail. It has the breakdown of costs and then aid. Total cost for USD next year is 63k :shock:

Dear BYU, please accept me.

Regards,
erico

you got a picture!

42 needs to get on that. Maybe a picture of a nice Jewish boy.

+1 on BYU, that price tag is looking extra sweet right now. Did you get this from USD, yet?

lawgirl99

Postby lawgirl99 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:53 pm

I also just got my financial aid info. No scholarship money and no aid. Just a lot of loans.

I'll be withdrawing. I ain't paying $63k a year for USD

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:54 pm

Inygma wrote:I've always wondered this also. Every school seems to have positive write-ups, but when it comes to USD it is looked down upon. It seems USD is set up in a less competitive market compared to Loyola, yet Loyola sounds like a better school according to the reviews of the school.

Exactly, the employment at 9 months is in the mid 90's, which isn't bad for the end of T1/top of T2. The cost is like $40k for tuition...but guess what, that's what most of the schools cost. High COL? All of CA is essentially in the same boat.

Given the prominence in the San Diego market, you think USD would be reviewed in that light...positively.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:59 pm

Veritas wrote:you got a picture!

Ummmmm, or not.
Last edited by forty-two on Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

choochoo

Postby choochoo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:59 pm

lawgirl99 wrote:I also just got my financial aid info. No scholarship money and no aid. Just a lot of loans.

If you don't mind sharing, when did you submit your FAFSA? I got a scholarship offer a couple weeks ago and submitted my FAFSA/USD Financial Aid supplement shortly after that to get other aid. Just curious if I should be expecting my aid packet e-mail soon since some of y'all have just now gotten them or if it takes a while to process.

Do people think it would be advantageous to send in a scholarship negotiation letter before or after I receive my aid packet??

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:59 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
Inygma wrote:I've always wondered this also. Every school seems to have positive write-ups, but when it comes to USD it is looked down upon. It seems USD is set up in a less competitive market compared to Loyola, yet Loyola sounds like a better school according to the reviews of the school.

Exactly, the employment at 9 months is in the mid 90's, which isn't bad for the end of T1/top of T2. The cost is like $40k for tuition...but guess what, that's what most of the schools cost. High COL? All of CA is essentially in the same boat.

Given the prominence in the San Diego market, you think USD would be reviewed in that light...positively.

I think some of the reviews are a little outdated.

The year that USD dropped in the rankings (into the 80s) they were have some issues with career services, the numbers either reported or actual were pretty poor. It shed a negative light on the school. I think some of it was over dramatized because that's what happens on the internet. Based on my visit, I would feel comfortable and confident in a USD education and employment opps (with the caveat that I would be working my ass off)

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:00 pm

forty-two wrote:

+1 on BYU, that price tag is looking extra sweet right now. Did you get this from USD, yet?

Ummmmm, or not.

awww come on!

holidayfromreal

Postby holidayfromreal » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:02 pm

can anyone who went to a info session (not ASD) tell me how helpful it was. I'm planing to go visit to get a feel for the area and it's more convenient to go on a day that they don't have something scheduled. I figure itf I just went I'd tour the school myself and see if I could sit in on a class. But if the info session that's planned was really good I'll try to rework my schedule

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Veritas wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:

I think some of the reviews are a little outdated.

The year that USD dropped in the rankings (into the 80s) they were have some issues with career services, the numbers either reported or actual were pretty poor. It shed a negative light on the school. I think some of it was over dramatized because that's what happens on the internet. Based on my visit, I would feel comfortable and confident in a USD education and employment opps (with the caveat that I would be working my ass off)

Ahh, gotcha. I know USD made a rankings jump recently, but I never investigated where it stood before or exactly what year it was.

Anyhow, having you say you have confidence in the school actually makes me feel a lot better, especially considering that you are in at some significantly higher ranked schools. Haha, maybe it's a misguided confidence, but it's inspired confidence non-the-less.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:04 pm

Veritas wrote:
forty-two wrote:

Ummmmm, or not.

awww come on!

I like not having a picture! Sheesh...

lawgirl99

Postby lawgirl99 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:05 pm

choochoo wrote:
lawgirl99 wrote:I also just got my financial aid info. No scholarship money and no aid. Just a lot of loans.

If you don't mind sharing, when did you submit your FAFSA? I got a scholarship offer a couple weeks ago and submitted my FAFSA/USD Financial Aid supplement shortly after that to get other aid. Just curious if I should be expecting my aid packet e-mail soon since some of y'all have just now gotten them or if it takes a while to process.

Do people think it would be advantageous to send in a scholarship negotiation letter before or after I receive my aid packet??

I sent in my FAFSA in early January. I had emailed USD awhile ago about Financial Award Letters and they said they would be sending them out early March. I don't know what order they are sent out in so I doubt this info is much help. I hope you hear something soon though!

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:10 pm

sent in my fafsa last week

link to USD supplement?

erico

Postby erico » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:10 pm

[/quote]
you got a picture!

+1 on BYU, that price tag is looking extra sweet right now. Did you get this from USD, yet?[/quote]

Not yet but I only submitted my FAFSA two weeks ago.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:12 pm

I just submitted my FAFSA a week or two ago.

Did USD mail a form out for supplemental information? I have a pile of stuff in my desk from schools, so I may need to go back and see. If not, is there somewhere we need to go to fill out another form, or is FAFSA it?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:I just submitted my FAFSA a week or two ago.

Did USD mail a form out for supplemental information? I have a pile of stuff in my desk from schools, so I may need to go back and see. If not, is there somewhere we need to go to fill out another form, or is FAFSA it?

There is a USD institutional aid for, you should have received it in the mail. I just emailed in the PDF form from the USD law website.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:22 pm

Veritas wrote:

There is a USD institutional aid for, you should have received it in the mail. I just emailed in the PDF form from the USD law website.

I do recall receiving something from USD in this area, but it's in the pile at home I'm sure (at work now). I went to USD's site and I think I found the form I need...but of course, it's a PDF, and editing a PDF is a PITA. Gonna have to go print it and scan/fax it. Blah.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:31 pm

Great Satchmo wrote:
Veritas wrote:

I do recall receiving something from USD in this area, but it's in the pile at home I'm sure (at work now). I went to USD's site and I think I found the form I need...but of course, it's a PDF, and editing a PDF is a PITA. Gonna have to go print it and scan/fax it. Blah.

Ya, now that you say it, I think that's what I did: print then scan. But they get it so fast, it's worth just getting it over with.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:20 pm

therumormill wrote:so when you called to check on your application and you ask if anything more is needed and your file is complete, what answer were you looking for? any additional information would be greatly appreciated...

I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but at the same time I don't like to be dealt with like I'm a nuisance. I've dealt with admissions people who've seemed incompetent or just generally "out of it," but at least those people are friendly. For many people, they are not going to have a lot of contact or time spent at the law school before the decide to attend, so every interaction counts for something. And when you speak with the admissions office and they are short with you and act like you are bothersome, then that doesn't bode well for the school having a good atmosphere or being a place that you can feel at home in.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:26 pm

I still haven't received my FinAid Package :?:

Nat1018

Postby Nat1018 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:34 pm

I got the same crap financial aid info which doesnt make much sense to me. My numbers are at their 75th percentiles :x

erico

Postby erico » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:38 pm

superflush wrote:
therumormill wrote:so when you called to check on your application and you ask if anything more is needed and your file is complete, what answer were you looking for? any additional information would be greatly appreciated...

I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but at the same time I don't like to be dealt with like I'm a nuisance. I've dealt with admissions people who've seemed incompetent or just generally "out of it," but at least those people are friendly. For many people, they are not going to have a lot of contact or time spent at the law school before the decide to attend, so every interaction counts for something. And when you speak with the admissions office and they are short with you and act like you are bothersome, then that doesn't bode well for the school having a good atmosphere or being a place that you can feel at home in.

Just fyi, everyone I dealt with on ASD seemed very nice and helpful. Hopefully you get a chance to have some positive interactions with people other than admissions.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:40 pm

erico wrote:Just fyi, everyone I dealt with on ASD seemed very nice and helpful. Hopefully you get a chance to have some positive interactions with people other than admissions.

I'm planning to visit at some point, so we'll see what happens then.

therumormill

Postby therumormill » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:44 pm

superflush wrote:

Yea i agree and feel you on that one because the first impression is the first impression, hopefully they can turn it around for you in future interactions.... maybe they were just busy... oh well best of luck to you.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:01 pm

Good luck to all. I withdrew my application today so they could make room for someone else.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:04 pm

erico wrote:
superflush wrote:

Just fyi, everyone I dealt with on ASD seemed very nice and helpful. Hopefully you get a chance to have some positive interactions with people other than admissions.

+1, I felt very welcome at USD. And, though I am sure all schools do this, everyone had major USD Pride. Everyone seemed happy and to enjoy the life.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”