U of San Diego Fall 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
superflush

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby superflush » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:48 pm

I called the admissions office recently and they couldn't have been more cold and rude. :|

twert

Postby twert » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:51 pm

superflush wrote:I called the admissions office recently and they couldn't have been more cold and rude. :|

i keep hearing that. not good.
are you admitted or still waiting?

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:04 pm

twert wrote:
superflush wrote:I called the admissions office recently and they couldn't have been more cold and rude. :|

I'm still waiting and its been a while, so I just wanted to check in and see if there was anything holding up my application. (I've been complete for about 2 months). The guy was very short and basically just said "no" and didn't say anything else. I've never had someone be so short with me in San Diego.

erico

Postby erico » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:11 pm

superflush wrote:
twert wrote:

I'm still waiting and its been a while, so I just wanted to check in and see if there was anything holding up my application. (I've been complete for about 2 months). The guy was very short and basically just said "no" and didn't say anything else. I've never had someone be so short with me in San Diego.

hahaha.

notme

Postby notme » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:21 pm

It's great that you think that, particularly if you want to go to Loyola or Santa Clara. If you have the opportunity to attend San Diego as opposed to the other schools, however, you may want to do a little more research before making a final decision. If you are already going to Santa Clara or Loyola, then nothing I say will mean shit to you. I'm from CA and looked into all three of the schools before my cycle got rolling last year, and that's the only reason I have any opinion on this. I'm not going to any of the schools so I really don't want to waste much energy on this, but in looking into other schools, I found that Leiter makes frequent reference to the quality of San Diego. The guy who runs TLS (Ken), or whoever wrote his review of San Diego for him, obviously doesn't like the school though, it has the worst write up of any school I have seen. It essentially says, don't waste the money. Why he doesn't say the same thing for schools 62 through 180 is a mystery to me. I will give one reference, and I'm done with this because it isn't my issue. http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... op-50.html. Check other articles by Leiter ranking other aspects and check other ranking systems.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:57 pm

notme wrote:It's great that you think that, particularly if you want to go to Loyola or Santa Clara. If you have the opportunity to attend San Diego as opposed to the other schools, however, you may want to do a little more research before making a final decision. If you are already going to Santa Clara or Loyola, then nothing I say will mean shit to you. I'm from CA and looked into all three of the schools before my cycle got rolling last year, and that's the only reason I have any opinion on this. I'm not going to any of the schools so I really don't want to waste much energy on this, but in looking into other schools, I found that Leiter makes frequent reference to the quality of San Diego. The guy who runs TLS (Ken), or whoever wrote his review of San Diego for him, obviously doesn't like the school though, it has the worst write up of any school I have seen. It essentially says, don't waste the money. Why he doesn't say the same thing for schools 62 through 180 is a mystery to me. I will give one reference, and I'm done with this because it isn't my issue. http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... op-50.html. Check other articles by Leiter ranking other aspects and check other ranking systems.

I always wondered about the review on TLS for USD - it seems to be really biased.

Many other schools cost as much, are in crowded markets, and have worse employment numbers and their write-ups are much more neutral.

viapaz

Postby viapaz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:16 am

lawgirl99 wrote:
viapaz wrote:
Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:went to the ASD today at USD (met some v. cool people)

employment stats are coming in at 92% employed at graduation for 2009 (no breakdown on the type of work except 4% in grad programs)

umm, the talked about the weather a lot, and I mean it was like their #1 selling point it seemed.

Professors seem really awesome, tbh. Good community feel from the students and the profs, everyone was pretty engaging.

Career services seems really gung-ho. The lady in charge of Career services is really impressive. NU grad, Jones Day associate and recruiter - very cool lady.

If there was something that really impressed me, it would have to be the sense of community. It also felt like students are really well supported. I heard more than once about academic support being really excellent and career services has adjusted to the current market (trying to reach USD grads into other markets, like a LA hiring program)

Scholarships are kind of in a hold pattern right now, waiting for deposits. They do plan on sending out more. Also, if you do well your first year you can get full tuition for second and third year (like if you end up in the top 10% or so and keep it up). If you end up falling out of the top 10% your scholarship goes back to whatever scholarship bracket you fall in to.

While at the end of the day I was able to decide that USD prolly isn't going to be my school of choice, I think it's a terrific institution and one that will serve you well in San Diego and So Cal, in general.

+1

Beautiful school, seems to do quite alright in San Diego. Though during the last panel of students, the two 3L's scared me with not having jobs lined up.

Yeah, I asked that question hoping they would cut me off and explain their glorious plans. They will be graduating in 2 months and they seemed to stare at me like deer in the headlights.. You would think the school would want to place 3L's who are completely set and ready to impress prospective students with their career paths. I love San Diego, as I am a native.. but I really don't want my job search to be as miserable as it has been these past two years out of college when I'll have much more debt looming over my head by 2013..

On another note, they are VERY generous with the money they give out..

I have yet to receive any of this so called generosity :(

Did you send in the USD financial application form yet? I sent it in as soon as it was available and they responded the next day. They need that in addition to your FAFSA to have a complete financial aid file before sending out money offers.

Mattisgo

Postby Mattisgo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:35 am

Withdrew today.

Hope one of you gets my spot!

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:40 am

Hey guys,

I'm aware that the deadline to submit the initial deposit is April 15. However, I'm still waiting for replies from Davis and Hastings. Unless I get into either school, USD is the school for me.

What I would like to know is whether it would be wise for me to submit my deposit soon. I'm told that seats fill up quickly and waiting too long could leave me out in the cold with no seats to take at Chapman.

Is this true? Would really like to know so I don't end up dropping a few hundred for a school that I may not end up attending!!! :shock:
Last edited by zeth006 on Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

roguey

Postby roguey » Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:50 am

I figured if you were accepted to a school, they had a spot saved for you until the deposit date. If that's not the case... I'm about to shake the couch for some change!

StoneontaState

Postby StoneontaState » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:13 am

Great Satchmo wrote:
notme wrote:It's great that you think that, particularly if you want to go to Loyola or Santa Clara. If you have the opportunity to attend San Diego as opposed to the other schools, however, you may want to do a little more research before making a final decision. If you are already going to Santa Clara or Loyola, then nothing I say will mean shit to you. I'm from CA and looked into all three of the schools before my cycle got rolling last year, and that's the only reason I have any opinion on this. I'm not going to any of the schools so I really don't want to waste much energy on this, but in looking into other schools, I found that Leiter makes frequent reference to the quality of San Diego. The guy who runs TLS (Ken), or whoever wrote his review of San Diego for him, obviously doesn't like the school though, it has the worst write up of any school I have seen. It essentially says, don't waste the money. Why he doesn't say the same thing for schools 62 through 180 is a mystery to me. I will give one reference, and I'm done with this because it isn't my issue. http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... op-50.html. Check other articles by Leiter ranking other aspects and check other ranking systems.

I always wondered about the review on TLS for USD - it seems to be really biased.

Many other schools cost as much, are in crowded markets, and have worse employment numbers and their write-ups are much more neutral.

I agree with you guys. Miami is one of my top choices and it has pretty much an identical writeup to San Diego on TLS. In my honest opinion, I would say don't take the review of one guy too seriously. I don't know what the hell his problem is but somebody at USD must've pissed him off.

erico

Postby erico » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:43 pm

roguey wrote:I figured if you were accepted to a school, they had a spot saved for you until the deposit date. If that's not the case... I'm about to shake the couch for some change!

Have people been denied a spot after being accepted and getting their deposit in on time? That just seems absurd to me.

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:54 pm

I attended at class at USD earlier this week and there was a good amount of talk about sufficient vs. necessary. AH LSAT!!

It was a contracts class and they were talking about what's sufficient vs. what's necessary in determining if it's a contract. (I think, ha)

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:03 pm

StoneontaState wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:

I agree with you guys. Miami is one of my top choices and it has pretty much an identical writeup to San Diego on TLS. In my honest opinion, I would say don't take the review of one guy too seriously. I don't know what the hell his problem is but somebody at USD must've pissed him off.

I've always wondered this also. Every school seems to have positive write-ups, but when it comes to USD it is looked down upon. It seems USD is set up in a less competitive market compared to Loyola, yet Loyola sounds like a better school according to the reviews of the school.

therumormill

Postby therumormill » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:26 pm

superflush wrote:
twert wrote:

so when you called to check on your application and you ask if anything more is needed and your file is complete, what answer were you looking for? any additional information would be greatly appreciated...

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:27 pm

Just received my financial aid packet via email.

Damn, LS is expensive.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Veritas wrote:Just received my financial aid packet via email.

Damn, LS is expensive.

Is this the packet that tells everything - scholarship?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:35 pm

Inygma wrote:

Damn, LS is expensive.

Yes, I was expecting it in the mail. It has the breakdown of costs and then aid. Total cost for USD next year is 63k :shock:

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Damn, LS is expensive.

Amen

Veritas wrote:Yes, I was expecting it in the mail. It has the breakdown of costs and then aid. Total cost for USD next year is 63k :shock:

Holy crap! Is that for living expenses and everything?! I sure as hell hope so.

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:40 pm

Veritas wrote:
Inygma wrote:

Damn, LS is expensive.

Yes, I was expecting it in the mail. It has the breakdown of costs and then aid. Total cost for USD next year is 63k :shock:

:shock: bad times. Must be nice having UCI under your belt :P

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:42 pm

BruinsFan wrote:

Damn, LS is expensive.

Amen

Veritas wrote:Yes, I was expecting it in the mail. It has the breakdown of costs and then aid. Total cost for USD next year is 63k :shock:

More than likely. But remember, those costs are estimated and not necessarily actual costs.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:44 pm

zeth006 wrote:
BruinsFan wrote:

Damn, LS is expensive.

Amen

More than likely. But remember, those costs are estimated and not necessarily actual costs.

TITCR. I'm sure you could live more frugally than they suggest.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:45 pm

Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:
Inygma wrote:

Damn, LS is expensive.

:shock: bad times. Must be nice having UCI under your belt :P

:mrgreen:

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:49 pm

zeth006 wrote:Hey guys,

I'm aware that the deadline to submit the initial deposit is April 15. However, I'm still waiting for replies from Davis and Hastings. Unless I get into either school, USD is the school for me.

What I would like to know is whether it would be wise for me to submit my deposit soon. I'm told that seats fill up quickly and waiting too long could leave me out in the cold with no seats to take at Chapman.

Is this true? Would really like to know so I don't end up dropping a few hundred for a school that I may not end up attending!!! :shock:

If you put a deposit down by the deadline and you are accepted, I don't think they can not give you a spot.

erico

Postby erico » Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:51 pm

Veritas wrote:
Inygma wrote:

Damn, LS is expensive.

Dear BYU, please accept me.

Regards,
erico

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”