U of San Diego Fall 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
adonai

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby adonai » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:31 am

Only one reported rejection and no waitlists yet according to LSN. What is going on here?

KIM_SAYS:

Postby KIM_SAYS: » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:40 am

Been complete since 1/19. Blah.

adonai

Postby adonai » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:43 am

KIM_SAYS: wrote:Been complete since 1/19. Blah.

Complete since november. You're funny!

World B. Free

Postby World B. Free » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:51 am

me too, complete since Nov !

sundaynightdelite

Postby sundaynightdelite » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:10 am

Last edited by sundaynightdelite on Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

yo!

Postby yo! » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:31 am

Just withdrew with $$$, good luck to those still waiting!

KIM_SAYS:

Postby KIM_SAYS: » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:04 am

adonai wrote:
KIM_SAYS: wrote:Been complete since 1/19. Blah.

Complete since november. You're funny!

:D

I know. Jus' sayin'.

Nat1018

Postby Nat1018 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:21 am

I emailed the Financial Aid office about when I should be expecting to hear about $$ and they gave me the most generic answer ever..basically didn't answer my question. Has anyone that was accepted in mid-January heard about scholarships yet?

Inygma

Postby Inygma » Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:41 am

sundaynightdelite wrote:
Inygma wrote:
sundaynightdelite wrote:
Veritas wrote:Hey, if anyone else is interested in meeting up, send me a PM!

I'll be doing the panel, try and guess which one I am!

Do many people hold your views expressed in your religion/gay marriage thread at USD?

You seemed like quite a nice person on the panel, but now...................................

I tend to use a lot of hyperbole/exaggeration/satire on the web to express my views, but that's because of the big shroud that these message boards create, for better or for worse. I do a lot of that on my radio show, but it's purely shock value.

IRL, I am a conservative Catholic who attends a Catholic university. I am tolerant of others, but realize that not everyone may share my views.

When it comes to my school I am proud of it, and I want to help the adcom's get a great class of 2013 in the door.

To answer your question, I believe that this school attracts a large percentage of those with liberal views. This school (and the undergrad) is NOT as much a bastion of conservative thought as you might think with the religious affiliation. Pepperdine, Notre Dame, etc.. it is not.

Good to know.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:34 am

Still waiting.

bananaslug

Postby bananaslug » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:41 am

Nat1018 wrote:I emailed the Financial Aid office about when I should be expecting to hear about $$ and they gave me the most generic answer ever..basically didn't answer my question. Has anyone that was accepted in mid-January heard about scholarships yet?

i sent in my app 1/3, received acceptance letter 1/24 (ish), and two weeks later the money came

Nat1018

Postby Nat1018 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:45 am

bananaslug wrote:
Nat1018 wrote:I emailed the Financial Aid office about when I should be expecting to hear about $$ and they gave me the most generic answer ever..basically didn't answer my question. Has anyone that was accepted in mid-January heard about scholarships yet?

i sent in my app 1/3, received acceptance letter 1/24 (ish), and two weeks later the money came

Hmm...would you mind sharing your numbers? You can PM me

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:08 am

mango26 wrote:
J Burrito wrote:
mango26 wrote:i've been complete since 01/20. (3.3, 163, non-URM). does this seem normal? i'm sure it is and i'm just being overly anxious...
also, does usd prefer california residents?

I have about the same numbers as you and I've been complete since 1/13... I hope it's normal! I think, at this point, it's okay to be overly anxious. I know I am!

my gpa is probably too low, but do you think we have any chance at $?
good luck!!

I definitely think there's a possibility of us being awarded at least something. I think, and this is just speculation, that they're waiting to get a feel for the first batch of $$ they sent out before they offer anything to people with slightly lower numbers (compared to those w/ $$ already). I've received $$ from Santa Clara and Loyola and I think they're definitely comparable with USD. Time will tell! Best of luck to you too.

StoneontaState

Postby StoneontaState » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:04 pm

God I don't know which school is slower with notifying you of your decision- USD or Loyola Marymount.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:06 pm

StoneontaState wrote:God I don't know which school is slower with notifying you of your decision- USD or Loyola Marymount.

UC Davis still rules supreme

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:07 pm

StoneontaState wrote:God I don't know which school is slower with notifying you of your decision- USD or Loyola Marymount.

kind of funny, i applied (165/3.3) in the first week of November and got my acceptance packet mid February. My roommate took the December LSAT, applied ~Mid-February (163/3.4) and got accepted in 2 weeks.

So i dunno what the deal is, as we were really similar candidates.

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:16 pm

S de Garmeaux wrote:

kind of funny, i applied (165/3.3) in the first week of November and got my acceptance packet mid February. My roommate took the December LSAT, applied ~Mid-February (163/3.4) and got accepted in 2 weeks.

So i dunno what the deal is, as we were really similar candidates.

Seriously! My friend and I applied around the same time. His LSAT is a point higher than mine but his GPA is about .15 lower than mine and he was accepted in 2 weeks. I think they're reviewing applications randomly.

gobears09

Postby gobears09 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:20 pm

bananaslug wrote:

I was accepted quickly at the end of January, but have not heard anything about money since, I have been waiting for it in order to decide whether to withdraw or not.

notme

Postby notme » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:04 pm

I can't believe someone said that Santa Clara and Loyola were comparable to USD and went unchallenged. Not true, there's a significant difference. If the rankings aren't enough, check out Brian Leiter's comments. It will be interesting to see the new rankings in March/April. I suspect the difference will become even more apparent.

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:09 pm

notme wrote:I can't believe someone said that Santa Clara and Loyola were comparable to USD and went unchallenged. Not true, there's a significant difference. If the rankings aren't enough, check out Brian Leiter's comments. It will be interesting to see the new rankings in March/April. I suspect the difference will become even more apparent.

Do you have links? I would be interested in reading this. Thanks!

viapaz

Postby viapaz » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:35 pm

Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:went to the ASD today at USD (met some v. cool people)

employment stats are coming in at 92% employed at graduation for 2009 (no breakdown on the type of work except 4% in grad programs)

umm, the talked about the weather a lot, and I mean it was like their #1 selling point it seemed.

Professors seem really awesome, tbh. Good community feel from the students and the profs, everyone was pretty engaging.

Career services seems really gung-ho. The lady in charge of Career services is really impressive. NU grad, Jones Day associate and recruiter - very cool lady.

If there was something that really impressed me, it would have to be the sense of community. It also felt like students are really well supported. I heard more than once about academic support being really excellent and career services has adjusted to the current market (trying to reach USD grads into other markets, like a LA hiring program)

Scholarships are kind of in a hold pattern right now, waiting for deposits. They do plan on sending out more. Also, if you do well your first year you can get full tuition for second and third year (like if you end up in the top 10% or so and keep it up). If you end up falling out of the top 10% your scholarship goes back to whatever scholarship bracket you fall in to.

While at the end of the day I was able to decide that USD prolly isn't going to be my school of choice, I think it's a terrific institution and one that will serve you well in San Diego and So Cal, in general.

+1

Beautiful school, seems to do quite alright in San Diego. Though during the last panel of students, the two 3L's scared me with not having jobs lined up.

Yeah, I asked that question hoping they would cut me off and explain their glorious plans. They will be graduating in 2 months and they seemed to stare at me like deer in the headlights.. You would think the school would want to place 3L's who are completely set and ready to impress prospective students with their career paths. I love San Diego, as I am a native.. but I really don't want my job search to be as miserable as it has been these past two years out of college when I'll have much more debt looming over my head by 2013..

On another note, they are VERY generous with the money they give out..

swiard

Postby swiard » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:48 pm

Posted this before, but no one responded

USD application Question. I apologize in advance for the length.

So I applied to USD on January 4th. My LSDAS report date was January 7th. On January 16th, USD emailed me saying there was an error with my report and that I didn't have enough semester hours to apply.

Because I am graduating a year early from undergrad and didn't submit my fall grades when applying, I thought I just came up short because I am taking a heavier course load this quarter and was not technically a senior by units when applying. USD is the only school that told me I didn't have enough units to apply, but I sent my Fall grades to LSAC and upon their review they realized they forgot to include an entire quarter of grades in my initial report. They made a new report to include my fall grades and the absent quarter and the new report was sent to all the schools to which I applied. The report date for this report was January 28th.

As of today, I still have yet to go complete. Should I be concerned? I called USD and they said it would take some time for them to process all of their pending LSDAS reports, but after they responded so quickly to tell me I was short on units the first time (9 days), I am starting to feel like I should have gone complete by now (almost 1 month later).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And again, sorry for the long post.

bissey

Postby bissey » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:55 pm

swiard wrote:Posted this before, but no one responded

USD application Question. I apologize in advance for the length.

So I applied to USD on January 4th. My LSDAS report date was January 7th. On January 16th, USD emailed me saying there was an error with my report and that I didn't have enough semester hours to apply.

Because I am graduating a year early from undergrad and didn't submit my fall grades when applying, I thought I just came up short because I am taking a heavier course load this quarter and was not technically a senior by units when applying. USD is the only school that told me I didn't have enough units to apply, but I sent my Fall grades to LSAC and upon their review they realized they forgot to include an entire quarter of grades in my initial report. They made a new report to include my fall grades and the absent quarter and the new report was sent to all the schools to which I applied. The report date for this report was January 28th.

As of today, I still have yet to go complete. Should I be concerned? I called USD and they said it would take some time for them to process all of their pending LSDAS reports, but after they responded so quickly to tell me I was short on units the first time (9 days), I am starting to feel like I should have gone complete by now (almost 1 month later).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. And again, sorry for the long post.

Well, you spoke to the school. What can anyone say other than what you were already told? You can call again, but USD knows better than I do.

lawgirl99

Postby lawgirl99 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:16 pm

viapaz wrote:
Inygma wrote:
Veritas wrote:went to the ASD today at USD (met some v. cool people)

employment stats are coming in at 92% employed at graduation for 2009 (no breakdown on the type of work except 4% in grad programs)

umm, the talked about the weather a lot, and I mean it was like their #1 selling point it seemed.

Professors seem really awesome, tbh. Good community feel from the students and the profs, everyone was pretty engaging.

Career services seems really gung-ho. The lady in charge of Career services is really impressive. NU grad, Jones Day associate and recruiter - very cool lady.

If there was something that really impressed me, it would have to be the sense of community. It also felt like students are really well supported. I heard more than once about academic support being really excellent and career services has adjusted to the current market (trying to reach USD grads into other markets, like a LA hiring program)

Scholarships are kind of in a hold pattern right now, waiting for deposits. They do plan on sending out more. Also, if you do well your first year you can get full tuition for second and third year (like if you end up in the top 10% or so and keep it up). If you end up falling out of the top 10% your scholarship goes back to whatever scholarship bracket you fall in to.

While at the end of the day I was able to decide that USD prolly isn't going to be my school of choice, I think it's a terrific institution and one that will serve you well in San Diego and So Cal, in general.

+1

Beautiful school, seems to do quite alright in San Diego. Though during the last panel of students, the two 3L's scared me with not having jobs lined up.

Yeah, I asked that question hoping they would cut me off and explain their glorious plans. They will be graduating in 2 months and they seemed to stare at me like deer in the headlights.. You would think the school would want to place 3L's who are completely set and ready to impress prospective students with their career paths. I love San Diego, as I am a native.. but I really don't want my job search to be as miserable as it has been these past two years out of college when I'll have much more debt looming over my head by 2013..

On another note, they are VERY generous with the money they give out..

I have yet to receive any of this so called generosity :(

twert

Postby twert » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:38 pm

notme wrote:I can't believe someone said that Santa Clara and Loyola were comparable to USD and went unchallenged. Not true, there's a significant difference. If the rankings aren't enough, check out Brian Leiter's comments. It will be interesting to see the new rankings in March/April. I suspect the difference will become even more apparent.

i do not think the differences between these schools is significant. i do not think the rankings mean much in this case. i do not think leiter says anything that justifies saying SCU and Loyola aren't "comparable" to USD.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”