U of San Diego Fall 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
socalren

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby socalren » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:56 pm

I see money offered on LSN. Show me the money!

hopefulincal

Postby hopefulincal » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:45 pm

socalren wrote:I see money offered on LSN. Show me the money!

I'm guessing both Slansky and KeithGoodwin are located in San Diego. I'm really surprised that even KeithGoodwin didn't receive Dean's Scholarship though... He has one of the best numbers on LSN for USD right now.

alannak

Postby alannak » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:57 pm

algren wrote:
eberl032 wrote:Im sure this has been asked before but I want to clarify. Do I need to fill out any forms or do anything else other than having already been accepted and having already done FAFSA, in order to get an award? Thanks.

In regards to financial aid stuff, Veritas posted this on page 13 of this thread. Seems like what your asking is answered here:

http://www.sandiego.edu/law/documents/a ... 1final.pdf

Sorry if this should be obvious--- does that mean FAFSA is required to be considered for merit aid? Thanks. :-) Just received my acceptance today... after spending 4 years in upstate NY and the other part of my entire life in the nearly equally dreary NYC, San Diego is extremely appealing. :-)

manu4ever882001

Postby manu4ever882001 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:22 pm

Decision Letter Sent 01/08/2010
File Complete 01/05/2010

Admitted, but that was REALLY fast.

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:02 pm

algren wrote:
eberl032 wrote:Im sure this has been asked before but I want to clarify. Do I need to fill out any forms or do anything else other than having already been accepted and having already done FAFSA, in order to get an award? Thanks.

In regards to financial aid stuff, Veritas posted this on page 13 of this thread. Seems like what your asking is answered here:

Do I submit this online somehow or do I have to mail it?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:47 pm

manu4ever882001 wrote:Decision Letter Sent 01/08/2010
File Complete 01/05/2010

Admitted, but that was REALLY fast.

Yeah, had a decision rendered 8 days after complete, so we'll see! Hoping for an admit!!!!!!! :x
Last edited by zeth006 on Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

choochoo

Postby choochoo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:09 pm

Accepted today :) 161/3.5x

I noticed that a couple people have now gotten scholarship information, but for everyone else... Did it reference scholarship information anywhere in your acceptance letter or did you just know from other sources that it starts being sent out mid-Jan?

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Woot, I'm in. No word on $$$ tho...

J Burrito

Postby J Burrito » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:12 pm

choochoo wrote:Accepted today :) 161/3.5x

I noticed that a couple people have now gotten scholarship information, but for everyone else... Did it reference scholarship information anywhere in your acceptance letter or did you just know from other sources that it starts being sent out mid-Jan?

When did you go complete? Congrats!!

choochoo

Postby choochoo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:33 pm

jbaritot wrote:
choochoo wrote:Accepted today :) 161/3.5x

When did you go complete? Congrats!!

Thanks! I applied mid-November but didn't go complete until January 14th because I retook the December LSAT.

algren

Postby algren » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:43 pm

alannak wrote:
algren wrote:

Sorry if this should be obvious--- does that mean FAFSA is required to be considered for merit aid? Thanks. :-) Just received my acceptance today... after spending 4 years in upstate NY and the other part of my entire life in the nearly equally dreary NYC, San Diego is extremely appealing. :-)

I've been in Chicago for 5.5 years so I hear you on the weather issue :-)

As for the FASFA, I haven't run into a law school yet in which it is needed for Merit-based aid, but I think you'd be wise to submit a FASFA no matter where you go, and the sooner the better.

eberl032 wrote: Do I submit this online somehow or do I have to mail it?

I have no idea. I printed mine off. I am filling it out this evening and will likely scan it in and try and email it. They might tell me to submit it snail mail though. I've only scanned the form and don't see a direction to submit it in any certain way yet. I think Veritas and some others have done this so perhaps they can chime in.

erico

Postby erico » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:49 pm

algren wrote:
alannak wrote:
algren wrote:

As for the FASFA, I haven't run into a law school yet in which it is needed for Merit-based aid, but I think you'd be wise to submit a FASFA no matter where you go, and the sooner the better.

I have no idea. I printed mine off. I am filling it out this evening and will likely scan it in and try and email it. They might tell me to submit it snail mail though. I've only scanned the form and don't see a direction to submit it in any certain way yet. I think Veritas and some others have done this so perhaps they can chime in.

Still waiting on my stupid w-2 form so I can submit the FAFSA. It never seems to end with the application process.

jrb211

Postby jrb211 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:21 pm

algren wrote:
alannak wrote:
algren wrote:

FLY: I emailed mine at the beginning of last week, and they have not told me that it's not acceptable to email it in.

eberl032

Postby eberl032 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:51 pm

Still waiting on my stupid w-2 form so I can submit the FAFSA. It never seems to end with the application process.[/quote]

I just printed mine, filled it out, and faxed it to financial aid today. Also it is ok that I filled out my FAFSA on the 2nd of January using last years numbers. I just got my W-2's and will be updating it after work tonight. Will this slow down the process? or hinder my aid in any way? Thanks.

Oh, and congrats to all else who got admitted

gswfan

Postby gswfan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:31 pm

Would it be safe to say at this point, the longer you are complete, the more bleak the outlook will be? Or am I just being paranoid? I've been complete for nearly 3 months.

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:53 pm

gswfan wrote:Would it be safe to say at this point, the longer you are complete, the more bleak the outlook will be? Or am I just being paranoid? I've been complete for nearly 3 months.

What are your numbers? How have other applications gone? I think those are better indicators.

Everyone tries to figure out some system by which the committees review applications. Surely there are systems and sometimes it is representative of the outcome depending when things happen, but I don't think you can be doom and gloom, nor all sunshine and daisies, until you get that letter in the mail (and check that it's actually supposed to be sent to you).

yo!

Postby yo! » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:07 pm

Got my acceptance packet today. Now I just need to get my w-2 and fill out the fafsa!

Great Satchmo

Postby Great Satchmo » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:52 am

In via snail mail today (1/25). No mention of scholarship in the packet (I'm median LSAT, over 75% on GPA...so I don't feel necessarily entitled, but I kinda expected at least a little bit of scholy money).

Went complete on 1/20, DR on 1/22.

Oh well, in for now, maybe money later, maybe not. I grew up in San Diego, my dad practiced law there, and my uncle currently practices law there...Maybe I've been gone long enough to give it another go-at?

I do miss having the love/hate relationship with the beautiful, and obnoxious women in SD (as per my experience)...

gswfan

Postby gswfan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:30 am

Great Satchmo wrote:
What are your numbers? How have other applications gone? I think those are better indicators.

I applied PT with an LSAT above their 75th but a gpa below their 25th. I cant find anyone with an application similar to mine.

twert

Postby twert » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:09 pm

gswfan wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:

I applied PT with an LSAT above their 75th but a gpa below their 25th. I cant find anyone with an application similar to mine.

i'm above the 75th lsat and below the 25th gpa, but applied full time. i've been complete for three months. it doesn't look like very many people with low gpas have been accepted yet.

algren

Postby algren » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:26 pm

jrb211 wrote:FLY: I emailed mine at the beginning of last week, and they have not told me that it's not acceptable to email it in.

Dammit. Thanks for the info!

gswfan wrote:
Great Satchmo wrote:

I am also in this boat. 164/3.0. Applied full time.

BruinsFan

Postby BruinsFan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:49 pm

I applied part-time with a 161 (75th) and 3.1 (25th) and have been complete since mid Nov. I figure all of us semi-splitters will be game-time decisions in march and april.

algren

Postby algren » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:31 pm

BruinsFan wrote:I applied part-time with a 161 (75th) and 3.1 (25th) and have been complete since mid Nov. I figure all of us semi-splitters will be game-time decisions in march and april.

I'm inclined to agree with this reasoning. In looking through USD on LSN.com, it appears people with numbers just barely above mine are the ones hearing back with acceptances. I think if I had a 3.3 I would have heard by now.

Or, this is ridiculous and there's just a big box of applications out of which an adcomm pulls a handful of applications to look through each day.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:34 pm

algren wrote:
BruinsFan wrote:I applied part-time with a 161 (75th) and 3.1 (25th) and have been complete since mid Nov. I figure all of us semi-splitters will be game-time decisions in march and april.

I'm inclined to agree with this reasoning. In looking through USD on LSN.com, it appears people with numbers just barely above mine are the ones hearing back with acceptances. I think if I had a 3.3 I would have heard by now.

Or, this is ridiculous and there's just a big box of applications out of which an adcomm pulls a handful of applications to look through each day.

not necessarily. my 165/3.3 has gotten me nothing but silence since i went complete on 11/13

L&C, Loyola-LA & Wake have all offered me generous scholarships already. i dont know what the fuck is up with USD

algren

Postby algren » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:53 pm

sdegarmo wrote:
algren wrote:

not necessarily. my 165/3.3 has gotten me nothing but silence since i went complete on 11/13

L&C, Loyola-LA & Wake have all offered me generous scholarships already. i dont know what the fuck is up with USD

In that case, I'm going with the "big box of applications" theory :-)

I'd love to hear back from L&C as well.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”