U of San Diego Fall 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
star10
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:17 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby star10 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:30 pm

Weird I thought I withdrew but still got that e-mail.

Okay, time to withdraw again?!

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby zeth006 » Wed May 12, 2010 8:34 pm

Ok, I'm in a minor panic at the moment.



I got a $23k grant for 1L at USD. I heard from an online chat session with USD's financial aid people that because the grant is well, non-renewable, I won't be eligible for a need-based grant during 2L or 3L. At best, unless I'm top 5-9%, I can only hope for an "endowed scholarship" which could mean anything. Unless I become somehow eligible for an "endowed scholarship" the financial aid mentioned, I'll have to compete for merit-based grants. Basically every man for himself style.


So my question now. Is it typical for people who rank even as low as bottom 40-70% of their class to receive some kind of merit-based aid or endowed scholly to help pay for law school?

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby quickquestionthanks » Thu May 13, 2010 6:51 pm

Zeth, I don't have an answer to your question, but I would suggest you request a renewable stipulation, like top 33%, so you at least have a shot. They seem to be drawing from their waitlist pretty heavily, and they're known to be pretty generous financially. That combination might mean they'll flex to stop the bleeding.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby zeth006 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:36 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:Zeth, I don't have an answer to your question, but I would suggest you request a renewable stipulation, like top 33%, so you at least have a shot. They seem to be drawing from their waitlist pretty heavily, and they're known to be pretty generous financially. That combination might mean they'll flex to stop the bleeding.


I'll probably get that through the end of the week.

So last question. I understand that the maximum I can borrow is total cost of attendance minus any aid. If I decide not to use the offered $4,000 work-study, can I subtract that from my total aid and borrow more Grad Plus? Also, if I borrow up to the max, is there a bank/organization I should go to secure a second loan?

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby CmonSD » Fri May 14, 2010 2:18 pm

For those currently on the waitlist:

Are you waiting for FT only or are you willing to attend PT?

vijemi
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby vijemi » Fri May 14, 2010 3:08 pm

CmonSD wrote:For those currently on the waitlist:

Are you waiting for FT only or are you willing to attend PT?


I'm only waiting FT.

Foosters Galore
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby Foosters Galore » Fri May 14, 2010 5:50 pm

CmonSD wrote:For those currently on the waitlist:

Are you waiting for FT only or are you willing to attend PT?


FT with that flex option, whatever the hell that is...

WWAD
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby WWAD » Fri May 14, 2010 10:04 pm

FT, PT, Flex, what ever else they come up with

dalancas
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby dalancas » Sat May 15, 2010 1:09 pm

Accepted off the waitlist... I guess I'll evaluate Loyola against USD.

WWAD
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby WWAD » Sat May 15, 2010 1:22 pm

dalancas wrote:Accepted off the waitlist... I guess I'll evaluate Loyola against USD.


That's great, congrats. Did you write a LOCI? I noticed at one point you were disappointed with USD.

Foosters Galore
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby Foosters Galore » Sat May 15, 2010 3:15 pm

dalancas wrote:Accepted off the waitlist... I guess I'll evaluate Loyola against USD.



Congrats man! Mind sharin your numbers? PM if you like. Just trying to get a feel for who they're taking.


EDIT: nevermind, should have looked in profile first...

dalancas
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby dalancas » Sun May 16, 2010 1:51 am

WWAD wrote:
dalancas wrote:Accepted off the waitlist... I guess I'll evaluate Loyola against USD.


That's great, congrats. Did you write a LOCI? I noticed at one point you were disappointed with USD.


I definitely did not write them a LOCI... I am kind of a doubter that LOCI's do very much with numbers-driven T2 schools. I could be wrong.

I definitely still kind of am annoyed with USD. I will check out their program, but the odds are definitely stacked against them. I mean it was pretty obvious that they had under-yielded (predictably) from the beginning. I mean, just look at LSN and tell me the first 2 pages of applicants are going to choose there! lol I would love to remain in SD forever (all my friends are here), but I sort of think career prospects are better in LA with the larger market. Loyola and USD's overall numbers are pretty much the same and in a lot of ways, applying to law schools is a lot like dating... I want to be with the "girl" who wanted me from the very beginning -and not the one who only chose me after not being able to find someone better! ;-)

I know there will definitely be the USD apologists chiming in here but just keep in mind that these are my own personal sentiments! Let's leave it at that!

WWAD
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby WWAD » Sun May 16, 2010 6:20 pm

dalancas wrote:
WWAD wrote:
dalancas wrote:Accepted off the waitlist... I guess I'll evaluate Loyola against USD.


That's great, congrats. Did you write a LOCI? I noticed at one point you were disappointed with USD.


I definitely did not write them a LOCI... I am kind of a doubter that LOCI's do very much with numbers-driven T2 schools. I could be wrong.

I definitely still kind of am annoyed with USD. I will check out their program, but the odds are definitely stacked against them. I mean it was pretty obvious that they had under-yielded (predictably) from the beginning. I mean, just look at LSN and tell me the first 2 pages of applicants are going to choose there! lol I would love to remain in SD forever (all my friends are here), but I sort of think career prospects are better in LA with the larger market. Loyola and USD's overall numbers are pretty much the same and in a lot of ways, applying to law schools is a lot like dating... I want to be with the "girl" who wanted me from the very beginning -and not the one who only chose me after not being able to find someone better! ;-)

I know there will definitely be the USD apologists chiming in here but just keep in mind that these are my own personal sentiments! Let's leave it at that!


I am with you. I did not write a LOCI for the same reason, but then I saw they were getting closer to my numbers and felt like I had made a mistake. It is obvious they are just doing numbers though. All of you who got in off the waitlist in the last few days all had the same numbers. I am retaking the LSAT so I will write one if my test goes up. Good luck with your decision.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby zeth006 » Sun May 16, 2010 11:34 pm

dalancas wrote:
WWAD wrote:
dalancas wrote:Accepted off the waitlist... I guess I'll evaluate Loyola against USD.


That's great, congrats. Did you write a LOCI? I noticed at one point you were disappointed with USD.


I definitely did not write them a LOCI... I am kind of a doubter that LOCI's do very much with numbers-driven T2 schools. I could be wrong.

I definitely still kind of am annoyed with USD. I will check out their program, but the odds are definitely stacked against them. I mean it was pretty obvious that they had under-yielded (predictably) from the beginning. I mean, just look at LSN and tell me the first 2 pages of applicants are going to choose there! lol I would love to remain in SD forever (all my friends are here), but I sort of think career prospects are better in LA with the larger market. Loyola and USD's overall numbers are pretty much the same and in a lot of ways, applying to law schools is a lot like dating... I want to be with the "girl" who wanted me from the very beginning -and not the one who only chose me after not being able to find someone better! ;-)

I know there will definitely be the USD apologists chiming in here but just keep in mind that these are my own personal sentiments! Let's leave it at that!


I won't be apologizing for USD. They like just many other schools are really trying to milk the numbers though I would argue that USD's among the guiltiest as charged in this regard.

Most schools are done or just wrapping up admitting the last 10-15 applicants. If there are many others like you who're still waiting, then it explains how their matriculating (not just admitted) GPA/LSAT scores suddenly jumped a bunch. There's no other reason why a certain school (I won't name which one, it's a hotly debated one) should be suddenly raising their median LSAT score from a 160-161 to 163-164 unless they're just trying to stat-pad.

sigmachiev
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jun 24, 2007 7:04 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby sigmachiev » Mon May 17, 2010 2:51 am

RE: The picture with the chandeliers: No, that's not a classroom. I have no idea where that is on campus. Actually for all the raves that the campus gets for being beautiful (and it is), the interior of the law school needs to be upgraded in my opinion. It's definitely functional (wireless works fine, plenty of power adapters, etc) but it's not what I'd call aesthetically pleasing.

EDIT: Still around too so feel free to keep the questions coming.

Foosters Galore
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby Foosters Galore » Mon May 17, 2010 5:49 pm

So based on the WL admits from LSN the past few weeks it appears that they are going after GPAs and not LSATs, no? Only one regular splitter out of the group there. Not good news for me.

WWAD
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby WWAD » Mon May 17, 2010 6:02 pm

I don't seen any splitters, their numbers are almost identical. No luck for me either. I am a couple of points lower on LSAT and.2 lower on GPA. If only I had studied.

Oakley84
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue May 04, 2010 1:31 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby Oakley84 » Mon May 17, 2010 6:24 pm

Yeah I had a friend taken off the wait list at 157 3.4 GPA. So definitely looks like they are going for the splitters first.

jpla
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:44 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby jpla » Mon May 17, 2010 6:56 pm

just got in off waitlist, that was fast, waitlisted on 4/29 (3.3/161). really happy about this admission, definite possibility although no scholarship offered. if loyola does not admit me off their waitlist, it will most likely be usd over scu, especially if scu doesnt up their initial scholarship of $3,000. how is usd's ip reputation? im going to check out the school before the first.

JohnnyBeagle
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:34 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby JohnnyBeagle » Mon May 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Still on the waitlist, 3.01/160

for fulltime, parttime, flex whatever

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby uwb09 » Mon May 17, 2010 10:59 pm

unless san diego offers me some kind of scholarship in the next week, i'll prob be withdrawing and attending santa clara (assuming UC Davis doesn't pull an acceptance out their backside)

san diego seems like a slightly better "school", but norcal is more my area, def a hard decision

jrose
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:48 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby jrose » Tue May 18, 2010 1:34 am

where are you guys looking to live this fall? i've set a cap (including utilities) at 1k (already have a roommate), and i'm having trouble finding a quiet, safe place to live. has anyone looked at village at morena vista at the bottom of the hill? seems nice/quiet enough, but i read bad reviews...

and PB is OUT of the question.

User avatar
zeth006
Posts: 1167
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 2:54 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby zeth006 » Tue May 18, 2010 4:40 am

jrose wrote:where are you guys looking to live this fall? i've set a cap (including utilities) at 1k (already have a roommate), and i'm having trouble finding a quiet, safe place to live. has anyone looked at village at morena vista at the bottom of the hill? seems nice/quiet enough, but i read bad reviews...

and PB is OUT of the question.



Join the group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=114693985216573


I'm going to start searching probably around June. I'm also avoiding any areas that're known for having undergrads and parties.

EDIT: BTW, how do you look up reviews?

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby Slimpee » Tue May 18, 2010 10:03 am



There are some attractive women going to USD...kinda wish I hadn't withdrawn!

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby CmonSD » Tue May 18, 2010 11:35 am

zeth006 wrote:
jrose wrote:where are you guys looking to live this fall? i've set a cap (including utilities) at 1k (already have a roommate), and i'm having trouble finding a quiet, safe place to live. has anyone looked at village at morena vista at the bottom of the hill? seems nice/quiet enough, but i read bad reviews...

and PB is OUT of the question.



Join the group:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=114693985216573


I'm going to start searching probably around June. I'm also avoiding any areas that're known for having undergrads and parties.

EDIT: BTW, how do you look up reviews?


yelp.com




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”