U of San Diego Fall 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pegleg

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby pegleg » Sat May 01, 2010 1:54 pm

missinglink wrote:I'm looking through the info USD sent me, and maybe I've lost the form. But, are deposits paid online or via snail mail?

You can only pay online if you already have a student ID number, and you will only have a student ID number if financial aid sent you one along with your finaid info. Otherwise it's snail mail.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Mon May 03, 2010 10:30 am

does anyone think it's weird besides me that my decision was rendered on 4/22 and i still have yet to receive a rejection letter in the mail? uhhhhhhhh. did it get lost? wtf

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Mon May 03, 2010 12:21 pm

dhg5004 wrote:does anyone think it's weird besides me that my decision was rendered on 4/22 and i still have yet to receive a rejection letter in the mail? uhhhhhhhh. did it get lost? wtf

Same here, DR and sent 4/22! Put me out of my misery already!

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Mon May 03, 2010 12:58 pm

quadsixm wrote:
dhg5004 wrote:does anyone think it's weird besides me that my decision was rendered on 4/22 and i still have yet to receive a rejection letter in the mail? uhhhhhhhh. did it get lost? wtf

where are you from? I'm outside of Philadelphia...i realize it's far from San Diego...but it's going on 2 weeks?

twert

Postby twert » Mon May 03, 2010 2:07 pm

dhg5004 wrote:
quadsixm wrote:

where are you from? I'm outside of Philadelphia...i realize it's far from San Diego...but it's going on 2 weeks?

i believe they only give you two weeks from the day its mailed to make your deposit. i was DR 4/19 and had to have my deposit in by 5/4. if you haven't gotten your letter yet you really need to call them.

bmerr

Postby bmerr » Mon May 03, 2010 2:10 pm

If it makes you feel any better I live in walking distance to USD and it took almost a week to get my acceptance in the mail. They don't send it out on the day that they make the decision, but two weeks is a little excessive.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:23 pm

bmerr wrote:If it makes you feel any better I live in walking distance to USD and it took almost a week to get my acceptance in the mail. They don't send it out on the day that they make the decision, but two weeks is a little excessive.

walking distance...lol. yeah this school has been pissing me off. i actually did take your advice and just called...they 'cant give any information over the phone'

i don't see how they find it acceptable for someone to wait 2-3 weeks after a letter has been sent in the mail either accepting or rejecting you. the nerve !

he said to call them at the end of the week if I still haven't received it.

Has ANYONE been accepted when their decision was rendered on 4/22 ? I won't be too upset about the rejection...I don't think I'd even go there if I were accepted with $$. I just would like to know the decision regardless...

WWAD

Postby WWAD » Mon May 03, 2010 2:58 pm

You have to wonder what they can do at the end of the week that they can't do now.

wed96101

Postby wed96101 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:20 pm

dhg5004 wrote:
bmerr wrote:If it makes you feel any better I live in walking distance to USD and it took almost a week to get my acceptance in the mail. They don't send it out on the day that they make the decision, but two weeks is a little excessive.

walking distance...lol. yeah this school has been pissing me off. i actually did take your advice and just called...they 'cant give any information over the phone'

i don't see how they find it acceptable for someone to wait 2-3 weeks after a letter has been sent in the mail either accepting or rejecting you. the nerve !

Has ANYONE been accepted when their decision was rendered on 4/22 ? I won't be too upset about the rejection...I don't think I'd even go there if I were accepted with $$. I just would like to know the decision regardless...

I am sorry to hear this. I feel for your pain. I was accepted on DR 4/22 batch so don't give up yet. This is too much wait!

M_bear

Postby M_bear » Mon May 03, 2010 3:46 pm

dhg5004 wrote:

My decision was rendered on 4/29 and they mailed it on 4/30. I got my acceptance in the mail on 5/1 and I live in Los Angeles. You should definitely call and tell them you haven't received it yet.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:04 pm

wed96101 wrote:
dhg5004 wrote:

I am sorry to hear this. I feel for your pain. I was accepted on DR 4/22 batch so don't give up yet. This is too much wait!

Oh really? Hmm. What does it say on your status check? Are there fees due? Like a seat deposit or anything? That area is blank for me so that's why I figure it's a rejection.

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Mon May 03, 2010 4:06 pm

M_bear wrote:
dhg5004 wrote:

My decision was rendered on 4/29 and they mailed it on 4/30. I got my acceptance in the mail on 5/1 and I live in Los Angeles. You should definitely call and tell them you haven't received it yet.

My letter was sent 4/22 soo idunoo..

Yeah. I did call today. They said if I don't receive anything by Friday call them and they'll send it again. It honestly seems as though it got lost in the mail? lol - does that still happen? 2 weeks to receive a letter in the mail? I'm pretty sure if I lived on the moon I'd get it faster. Ridiculoussss.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon May 03, 2010 4:07 pm

I declined to send in my seat deposit. I had hoped they would up my financial aid offer from nothing to something.

Good luck to those still waiting.

ymp4

Postby ymp4 » Mon May 03, 2010 9:11 pm

Hope my opinion helps in decision making.

I personally know someone who works at USD's admissions office. This year, they received ridiculously huge amount of applications. The applications almost doubled this year compared to last year.

USD has been ranked around 60s for long time. Only the time they dipped into 80s was a couple years ago, but when USD claims that they jumped into 50s w/n 2 years, that is so misleading, because USD forgot to submit one factor that particular year and that was the only reason its ranking sank so hard that year. And that was the only year USD was ranked so poorly in recent years.

As you all know by now, USD ranked 56 this year, and according to one of faculties (not one from admissions office), tier 1 is rock solid and though their rankings can change w/n tier 1, its so hard to break into tier 1. So, though I would love to see USD becoming tier 1 school and feel like its very likely, I am not sure if that is possible.

As I said, they received so many applications this year. In addition, the quality of student body got stronger. I can almost guarantee you that USD's ranking will not go down next year, if not going up, because the average GPA and LSAT of incoming students are higher than last year.

USD is good school, especially if you want to practice in SD. Its not tier 1, and cannot compete against UCLA thats only 2 hrs away from USD and their students often come to SD to practice. However, 1/4 of practicing attorneys in San Diego is from USD. Imagine how strong their alumni network is in SD. Lots of ppl land their jobs through networking. (I do not like it, but its true) And your alumni network can work better than what you have on your resume. However, sadly if you go out of SD, you will lose the network. And If you want to practice in eastcoast, dont come to USD.

There are still a few things I dont like about USD. First, its really regional school. But then, anything outside of T14 (or T30 if you want to stretch) is regional school anyway. Second, USD undergrad is -honestly in my opinion - not a good school. When undergrad isnt good, there is a limit their grad can grow. And you will often find rich undergrad brats taking law school students space in law school's parking lot and law school's library.

There are also things I like about USD. First, their professors are amazing! I mean, I never went to any other law school, so it may not be fair to say that. But every professors I've had so far are so inspiring and engaging. They will never turn down students who are stupid but working so hard. Second, you can easily find free lunch on campus. Their various clubs hold various seminars with guest speakers, and those seminars come with free lunch. And they have those really often. Free lunch may sounds corny, but it gets really hand when you are a law student on financial aid. Third, their housing is cheap. (thats cheaper than LA) You can manage to find one bedroom for 1k and two bedroom for 1.6k and share. You can even go down cheaper.. like 700 for one bedroom. Good thing about SD is that wherever you go, the neighborhood itself is fairly safe. So, even if you end up living in a ghetto neighborhood to save money, its not really ghetto or dangerous.

If you dont get accepted into USD, dont feel bad, because somehow they just received way more strong applications this year. And somehow not that many ppl withdrew, so you will not see many slots opening for waitlist. You know, its just bad timing.

If you do get into USD, I hope you come to USD, because USD is indeed working so hard to get better academically and ranking wise as well. USD indeed has so many law professors who graduated from prestigious law schools, and makes me even wonder why the ranking is so low when they have law professors who are in fact well known in their field. I often felt like those professors were too smart for the student body. (Trust me. Its not hard to recruit professors who want to live in SD).

Oh well, this is just my honest opinion, and hope did not offend anyone, and wish you luck with the rest of application process. =)

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Tue May 04, 2010 9:36 am

ymp4 wrote:Hope my opinion helps in decision making.

I personally know someone who works at USD's admissions office. This year, they received ridiculously huge amount of applications. The applications almost doubled this year compared to last year.

USD has been ranked around 60s for long time. Only the time they dipped into 80s was a couple years ago, but when USD claims that they jumped into 50s w/n 2 years, that is so misleading, because USD forgot to submit one factor that particular year and that was the only reason its ranking sank so hard that year. And that was the only year USD was ranked so poorly in recent years.

As you all know by now, USD ranked 56 this year, and according to one of faculties (not one from admissions office), tier 1 is rock solid and though their rankings can change w/n tier 1, its so hard to break into tier 1. So, though I would love to see USD becoming tier 1 school and feel like its very likely, I am not sure if that is possible.

As I said, they received so many applications this year. In addition, the quality of student body got stronger. I can almost guarantee you that USD's ranking will not go down next year, if not going up, because the average GPA and LSAT of incoming students are higher than last year.

USD is good school, especially if you want to practice in SD. Its not tier 1, and cannot compete against UCLA thats only 2 hrs away from USD and their students often come to SD to practice. However, 1/4 of practicing attorneys in San Diego is from USD. Imagine how strong their alumni network is in SD. Lots of ppl land their jobs through networking. (I do not like it, but its true) And your alumni network can work better than what you have on your resume. However, sadly if you go out of SD, you will lose the network. And If you want to practice in eastcoast, dont come to USD.

There are still a few things I dont like about USD. First, its really regional school. But then, anything outside of T14 (or T30 if you want to stretch) is regional school anyway. Second, USD undergrad is -honestly in my opinion - not a good school. When undergrad isnt good, there is a limit their grad can grow. And you will often find rich undergrad brats taking law school students space in law school's parking lot and law school's library.

There are also things I like about USD. First, their professors are amazing! I mean, I never went to any other law school, so it may not be fair to say that. But every professors I've had so far are so inspiring and engaging. They will never turn down students who are stupid but working so hard. Second, you can easily find free lunch on campus. Their various clubs hold various seminars with guest speakers, and those seminars come with free lunch. And they have those really often. Free lunch may sounds corny, but it gets really hand when you are a law student on financial aid. Third, their housing is cheap. (thats cheaper than LA) You can manage to find one bedroom for 1k and two bedroom for 1.6k and share. You can even go down cheaper.. like 700 for one bedroom. Good thing about SD is that wherever you go, the neighborhood itself is fairly safe. So, even if you end up living in a ghetto neighborhood to save money, its not really ghetto or dangerous.

If you dont get accepted into USD, dont feel bad, because somehow they just received way more strong applications this year. And somehow not that many ppl withdrew, so you will not see many slots opening for waitlist. You know, its just bad timing.

If you do get into USD, I hope you come to USD, because USD is indeed working so hard to get better academically and ranking wise as well. USD indeed has so many law professors who graduated from prestigious law schools, and makes me even wonder why the ranking is so low when they have law professors who are in fact well known in their field. I often felt like those professors were too smart for the student body. (Trust me. Its not hard to recruit professors who want to live in SD).

Oh well, this is just my honest opinion, and hope did not offend anyone, and wish you luck with the rest of application process. =)

thanks for the info. i want to practice on the east coast but also slightly interested in San Diego. I'll most likely not go even if I am accepted.

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Tue May 04, 2010 10:10 am

Hey I am going to visit the area and I am an avid surfer. I want to stay somewhere that is accessible by FOOT to both a surfing beach (pacific beach is closest I'm guessing) as well as downtown. Is this possible? Is their public transportation that goes between a surf spot and downtown?

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Tue May 04, 2010 11:26 am

imisscollege wrote:Hey I am going to visit the area and I am an avid surfer. I want to stay somewhere that is accessible by FOOT to both a surfing beach (pacific beach is closest I'm guessing) as well as downtown. Is this possible? Is their public transportation that goes between a surf spot and downtown?

I live in PB and work downtown. In an attempt to save $$ on DT parking I would take the trolley from Old Town. If you can't get a ride to the station, you can always take the bus to the station or take the bus straight downtown. Check out mts.com

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Tue May 04, 2010 11:45 am

Is anyone still waiting for a DR that applied before the deadline?

pegleg

Postby pegleg » Tue May 04, 2010 11:58 am

For those that sent in their deposit by snail mail, what kind of wait time did you have between sending it out and receipt and acknowledgment?

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Tue May 04, 2010 12:57 pm

anybody from the waitlist been accepted off it yet?

i can't explain it, but ever since this cycle started i've been drawn to this school for whatever reason, considering whipping up a LOCI to try and get accepted off the waitlist

I honestly was expecting a ding, so this has me intrigued

twert

Postby twert » Tue May 04, 2010 2:37 pm

uwb09 wrote:anybody from the waitlist been accepted off it yet?

i can't explain it, but ever since this cycle started i've been drawn to this school for whatever reason, considering whipping up a LOCI to try and get accepted off the waitlist

I honestly was expecting a ding, so this has me intrigued

today is the deadline for people accepted 4/19 to deposit. there should be some movement after that for those on the waitlist. good luck

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:47 pm

decision rendered 4/22. Still nothing in the mail. lol

my situation has become comical.

twert

Postby twert » Tue May 04, 2010 2:49 pm

dhg5004 wrote:decision rendered 4/22. Still nothing in the mail. lol

it might be time to do what many of us have done this cycle, say fuck you USD and move on with your life. something is wrong with the way this school goes about its business and i don't want to be a part of it.

M_bear

Postby M_bear » Tue May 04, 2010 8:47 pm

did anyone get a confirmation form with their acceptance packet? I think I am missing mine :?

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:24 am

twert wrote:
dhg5004 wrote:decision rendered 4/22. Still nothing in the mail. lol

it might be time to do what many of us have done this cycle, say fuck you USD and move on with your life. something is wrong with the way this school goes about its business and i don't want to be a part of it.

Good stuff. I got the rejection letter in the mail today. Screw 'em. I totally wouldn't have gone anyway. Philadelphia------>San Diego? Especially when I want to practice in the NYC/NJ/Phila area. Good luck to everyone else.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”