U of San Diego Fall 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Temka

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby Temka » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:02 am

WWAD wrote:
Temka wrote:I was born in Kazakhstan and came here later in life. I was told that makes me an un-traditional applicant becuase there are not many people from that part of the world trying to go to law school.No borat jokes please, he is not real :)

Thanks and good luck. The "quite un-traditional" got my interest going. I would rather be Borat than his fuzzy friend.

Thanks no problem
CAHopeful wrote:
scuzle wrote:
adonai wrote:
scuzle wrote:Just stay positive, USD is a good school, but if you excel at a school within the top 100 the expectation of a good legal career with a nice paying job is completely possible and do not let people tell you otherwise. Im pulling for all you guys!

+1 for encouraging and positive posts like this one. I have to say that through this grueling process of waiting to hear from school after school and encouraging my OCD via status checker frenzies and constant TLS patrolling, it is refreshing when I come across a post that's optimistic. Good luck to everyone with a recent DR from USD and on the rest of your cycle! Let's stay positive - this cycle is nearing its end! :)

another +1

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:51 am

I got a DR on 4/22 as well....I'm definitely thinking it's a rejection because I know my number's arent up to par for their program. But I have gotten into schools that are ranked similarly...

But I hate to say I think it's a batch of rejections. Sorry everyone :(

SaltnPepper17

Postby SaltnPepper17 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:18 am

I received DR on 4/21 not 4/22 and Letter sent 4/22

Is this separate from the 4/22 DRs? Better? Worse?

Temka

Postby Temka » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:35 am

dhg5004 wrote:I got a DR on 4/22 as well....I'm definitely thinking it's a rejection because I know my number's arent up to par for their program. But I have gotten into schools that are ranked similarly...

But I hate to say I think it's a batch of rejections. Sorry everyone :(

My numbers are not up to par for them either, but it seems that the majority of of people who are in this batch do have the numbers for the school, or at least good enough to get waitlisted. Maybe we will be getting lucky! Stop the pessimism lol

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:57 am

Sorry for the pessimism. Even if accepted I don't think I'd attend. I'm an east coast guy...I applied because it is a good school with good programs that I am interested in...I just can't see myself living in San Diego...plus I REALLY want to practice in NYC. Attending San Diego makes me feel as though it would be very difficult to find placement in NYC...

what do you guys think? It's a regional school is it not?

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:00 pm

What school in NYC are you going to attend instead? Do you have connections in the city?

It's definitely possible to move around the country with a degree, as long as you have stellar grades and people know you. Otherwise, it will certainly be tough. :|

Corinne

Postby Corinne » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:09 pm

dhg5004 wrote:Sorry for the pessimism. Even if accepted I don't think I'd attend. I'm an east coast guy...I applied because it is a good school with good programs that I am interested in...I just can't see myself living in San Diego...plus I REALLY want to practice in NYC. Attending San Diego makes me feel as though it would be very difficult to find placement in NYC...

I'm an east coast person as well and struggled with the idea of whether or not I could handle moving to San Diego for the three years of law school. I didn't know if I could live there until I visited and saw that I definitely could. I, too, hope to practice in NYC, but fortunately I know a lot of people who already practice there so finding a job shouldn't be too hard. I went to visit the campus and I did not want to leave!! I haven't made any decisions yet, but San Diego is definitely near the top of the list.

WWAD

Postby WWAD » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:17 pm

As a fellow east coaster living in SD I understand your concerns about jobs in NYC and I would think other than graduating at the top of your class it might not be good for east coast jobs. If you set up your internships in NYC you should be good though. As far as the "I just can't see myself living in San Diego" part...WHAT! Have you been here yet? If I was set up to do it I would post a view of what I am seeing right now. I love NYC and SD isn't perfect, but if you can't see spending time here you might just be a pessimist.

Temka

Postby Temka » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:17 pm

Corinne wrote:
dhg5004 wrote:Sorry for the pessimism. Even if accepted I don't think I'd attend. I'm an east coast guy...I applied because it is a good school with good programs that I am interested in...I just can't see myself living in San Diego...plus I REALLY want to practice in NYC. Attending San Diego makes me feel as though it would be very difficult to find placement in NYC...

I'm an east coast person as well and struggled with the idea of whether or not I could handle moving to San Diego for the three years of law school. I didn't know if I could live there until I visited and saw that I definitely could. I, too, hope to practice in NYC, but fortunately I know a lot of people who already practice there so finding a job shouldn't be too hard. I went to visit the campus and I did not want to leave!! I haven't made any decisions yet, but San Diego is definitely near the top of the list.

Although it is higher ranked, as far as I know, it is a regional school like Santa Clara and USF that does great regionally but is not particularly well known in other parts of the country. On the other hand though, there are always exceptions

Corinne

Postby Corinne » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:24 pm

Temka wrote:
Corinne wrote:

Although it is higher ranked, as far as I know, it is a regional school like Santa Clara and USF that does great regionally but is not particularly well known in other parts of the country. On the other hand though, there are always exceptions

Maybe this is a naive opinion, and maybe I have just been lucky in my life, but in my experience if you are determined enough and are willing to work extra hard, you can find a way to be successful anywhere. This is not to say that you'll be in one of the top firms in NYC right out of law school, but there are so many firms in and around NYC. The biggest drawback in my opinion is the lack of an alumni network. I think you can get by without it though.

momo_08

Postby momo_08 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:52 pm

Corinne wrote:
Temka wrote:
Corinne wrote:

Maybe this is a naive opinion, and maybe I have just been lucky in my life, but in my experience if you are determined enough and are willing to work extra hard, you can find a way to be successful anywhere. This is not to say that you'll be in one of the top firms in NYC right out of law school, but there are so many firms in and around NYC. The biggest drawback in my opinion is the lack of an alumni network. I think you can get by without it though.

wouldn't say you're terribly wrong in saying that because obviously if you don't put in the work you're not going to place well anywhere, even SD..however as for placing in NYC..i would say based on what i've read and heard, it would be difficult if you're not at least top 5-10% of your class and did some internships in the area (unless you already have reliable connections).

I admit i'm pretty pessimistic about this batch too ( DR 4/22) at least for me although some others loked like they had good stats for the school....I'm just trying to rationalize why they would give out acceptances close before their deposit deadline/so late in the cycle when it seems to me most people would have already narrowed down their choices or already put down deposits for other schools...

Corinne

Postby Corinne » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:58 pm

momo_08 wrote:
I admit i'm pretty pessimistic about this batch too ( DR 4/22) at least for me although some others loked like they had good stats for the school....I'm just trying to rationalize why they would give out acceptances close before their deposit deadline/so late in the cycle when it seems to me most people would have already narrowed down their choices or already put down deposits for other schools...

As far as San Diego goes, I got a decision ridiculously fast. I applied to some schools months before them and they were the first I heard back from. That being said, there are still some schools that I haven't heard a word from. In those instances, and in the cases where the school gave me a decision within a few weeks of the deposit deadline, all of them gave me an extension on the deposit deadline. With regard to why they do this: My personal theory is they just want to make us a little extra crazy, just because they can.

WWAD

Postby WWAD » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:07 pm

Corinne wrote:
momo_08 wrote:

As far as San Diego goes, I got a decision ridiculously fast. I applied to some schools months before them and they were the first I heard back from. That being said, there are still some schools that I haven't heard a word from. In those instances, and in the cases where the school gave me a decision within a few weeks of the deposit deadline, all of them gave me an extension on the deposit deadline. With regard to why they do this: My personal theory is they just want to make us a little extra crazy, just because they can.

Of course you got accepted quickly, look at your kick ass stats. I have noticed that USD is very quick with people way in their range. Take there time with those outside their range, which is a good sign, they might actually read the application. They seem to be crazy slow with borderline people. I guess this is good, again it seems like they are reading stuff, but it is tough to take. I think they are in a strange position, any one who gets in easy also gets into good schools all over the state, with two of the best only 11/2 hours away, and then they have to decide how many to keep around to fill the spots of those wait listed at all those other schools.

dekscholar

Postby dekscholar » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:11 pm

Just withdrew along with $$. Hopefully it trickles down to one of you quickly.

Corinne

Postby Corinne » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:14 pm

WWAD wrote:
Corinne wrote:
momo_08 wrote:

Of course you got accepted quickly, look at your kick ass stats. I have noticed that USD is very quick with people way in their range. Take there time with those outside their range, which is a good sign, they might actually read the application. They seem to be crazy slow with borderline people. I guess this is good, again it seems like they are reading stuff, but it is tough to take. I think they are in a strange position, any one who gets in easy also gets into good schools all over the state, with two of the best only 11/2 hours away, and then they have to decide how many to keep around to fill the spots of those wait listed at all those other schools.

That makes sense. I haven't decided anything yet, but there's a chance I'll be freeing up a spot for someone who is still waiting on Thursday.

CAHopeful

Postby CAHopeful » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:30 pm

Let's just remember that although most of us who are waiting on the 4/22 DR letter have been waiting for quite some time to hear from USD, they could have easily rejected us quickly if they felt they needed to. Plenty of other people have been rejected. It goes to show that this process is more than a mere numbers game. I'm determined to keep the positive energy flowing and look forward to receiving my letter whenever it may come! Good luck to all of you. I have good feelings about this batch and am hopeful for everyone. We can do it!

Temka

Postby Temka » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:34 pm

CAHopeful wrote:Let's just remember that although most of us who are waiting on the 4/22 DR letter have been waiting for quite some time to hear from USD, they could have easily rejected us quickly if they felt they needed to. Plenty of other people have been rejected. It goes to show that this process is more than a mere numbers game. I'm determined to keep the positive energy flowing and look forward to receiving my letter whenever it may come! Good luck to all of you. I have good feelings about this batch and am hopeful for everyone. We can do it!

I am with you on that! Good vibes, good vibes

twert

Postby twert » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:45 pm

DR 4/19, accepted today.

LawMuns

Postby LawMuns » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:51 pm

Congrats, Twert!

Do you live in SD? Im trying to handicap the mail since i am a DR 4/22.

twert

Postby twert » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:30 pm

LawMuns wrote:Congrats, Twert!

i'm in norcal, way norcal.

sdlaw

Postby sdlaw » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:55 pm

LawMuns wrote:Congrats, Twert!

I live in SD, I got DR on 4/19 and got letter of acceptance on weds...I believe they sent the letter out on tuesday.

adonai

Postby adonai » Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:34 pm

DR 4/22 Rejected today in the mail. Good luck you guys, I'm out. So-Cal people check your mail right now, you should have your decision.

pegleg

Postby pegleg » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:01 pm

I got a 23k scholarship today!! Holy shit I am so relieved. I was petrified I wouldn't get any aid especially after hearing they ran out. USD will actually be affordable now. If I don't get into Davis I'm definitely going here.

WWAD

Postby WWAD » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:03 pm

adonai wrote:DR 4/22 Rejected today in the mail. Good luck you guys, I'm out. So-Cal people check your mail right now, you should have your decision.

That sucks, good luck. Where are you going?

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:10 pm

adonai wrote:DR 4/22 Rejected today in the mail. Good luck you guys, I'm out. So-Cal people check your mail right now, you should have your decision.

Ok, so DR 4/22 is bad news.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”