U of San Diego Fall 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
choochoo
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:59 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby choochoo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:25 am

-austin- wrote:
cic10 wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:
-austin- wrote:

To those who are not from/currently living in SD, where are you guys looking from apartments?



I'm going to the ASD on the 12th but I'll be there a couple days early so I was planning on cruising around San Diego and getting familiar with the neighborhoods. I'm also possibly considering the graduate student housing but I really don't know anything about the two options (am hoping to check them out while I'm there).

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:28 am

Just withdrew (couldn't find a waiting thread?). Hard decision (nice weather! cool programs!) but had to be done.

25k scholly back in the pot.

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby uwb09 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:37 am

sibley wrote:Just withdrew (couldn't find a waiting thread?). Hard decision (nice weather! cool programs!) but had to be done.

25k scholly back in the pot.

you know where you're goin yet sibley?

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:37 am

uwb09 wrote:
sibley wrote:Just withdrew (couldn't find a waiting thread?). Hard decision (nice weather! cool programs!) but had to be done.

25k scholly back in the pot.

you know where you're goin yet sibley?


no =/

-austin-
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby -austin- » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:14 am

sibley wrote:
uwb09 wrote:
sibley wrote:Just withdrew (couldn't find a waiting thread?). Hard decision (nice weather! cool programs!) but had to be done.

25k scholly back in the pot.

you know where you're goin yet sibley?


no =/


That'd be a tough amount of money to throw back, who are you waiting to hear from?

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:15 am

-austin- wrote:
sibley wrote:
uwb09 wrote:
sibley wrote:Just withdrew (couldn't find a waiting thread?). Hard decision (nice weather! cool programs!) but had to be done.

25k scholly back in the pot.

you know where you're goin yet sibley?


no =/


That'd be a tough amount of money to throw back, who are you waiting to hear from?


just fordham waitlist really. nyu but I assume I won't get in there. I got 11k from WashU and the ranking makes up for the difference in cash, plus 30k from Cardozo which is also ranked higher. just ends up coming down to having too many applications out and needing to force myself to figure crap out.

-austin-
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby -austin- » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:45 am

sibley wrote:
just fordham waitlist really. nyu but I assume I won't get in there. I got 11k from WashU and the ranking makes up for the difference in cash, plus 30k from Cardozo which is also ranked higher. just ends up coming down to having too many applications out and needing to force myself to figure crap out.


I hear you. I sent an application to Cardozo after I got back from USD's ASD and was considering Fordham as well. Even if I am accepted to Cardozo I dont think I'll attend over USD, despite it being ranked higher. It's mainly because I'm pretty tired of this city already :lol: But also because by sending my app in so late in the game, I dont think I'll be receiving any financial incentives from Cardozo at this point.

fcowrx
Posts: 122
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:44 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby fcowrx » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:57 pm

Just withdrew, freeing up $66,000 to go to someone else. Good luck to those still waiting.

User avatar
shepdawg
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby shepdawg » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:18 pm

My application status is still "File Complete." Should I just send my deposit to my next choice?

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby CmonSD » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:22 pm

CmonSD wrote:Soooo according to the admissions office (as of today) a bulk of the decisions will go out mid-late april but it is still rolling admissions up until August. :shock:


shepdawg wrote:My application status is still "File Complete." Should I just send my deposit to my next choice?


I guess that depends on how much you like waiting....what is your next choice?

User avatar
shepdawg
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby shepdawg » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:30 pm

I lived in San Diego for 27 years, so if anyone has questions about specific places to live I can give an opinion.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby superflush » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:16 pm

shepdawg wrote:My application status is still "File Complete." Should I just send my deposit to my next choice?


At first I thought this sentence was going to read. "Should I just send my deposit anyway?"

Is your deposit deadline for your next choice now?

User avatar
boardride23
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby boardride23 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:32 pm

superflush wrote:
shepdawg wrote:My application status is still "File Complete." Should I just send my deposit to my next choice?


At first I thought this sentence was going to read. "Should I just send my deposit anyway?"

Is your deposit deadline for your next choice now?


Superflush, looks like we really are looking at the same schools (Santa Clara as well). I think I'm gonna withdraw from SCU tonight (deposit tomorrow) and decide between USD and Loyola... Where are you leaning these days?

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby superflush » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:52 pm

boardride23 wrote:Superflush, looks like we really are looking at the same schools (Santa Clara as well). I think I'm gonna withdraw from SCU tonight (deposit tomorrow) and decide between USD and Loyola... Where are you leaning these days?


I'm leaning the other direction. I also might hold out some hope for some schools east of CA to get back to me at some point. I'll think I will basically have to deposit at Santa Clara tomorrow.

tplaw1982
Posts: 6
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:10 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby tplaw1982 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:46 am

Accepted, finally! PT program, been waiting since 1/15. Hello USD.

dalancas
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby dalancas » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:58 am

superflush wrote:
boardride23 wrote:Superflush, looks like we really are looking at the same schools (Santa Clara as well). I think I'm gonna withdraw from SCU tonight (deposit tomorrow) and decide between USD and Loyola... Where are you leaning these days?


I'm leaning the other direction. I also might hold out some hope for some schools east of CA to get back to me at some point. I'll think I will basically have to deposit at Santa Clara tomorrow.


Also going to be withdrawing from SCU in a few days to decide between Loyola and (a hypothetical acceptance from) USD. We shall see if I even get a chance to pit LLS against USD. San Diego might just make that decision really easy for me! Haha

hopefulincal
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:25 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby hopefulincal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:03 pm

Was anyone successful at negotiating scholarship for the PT program? It seems like it's a lot harder to negotiate for PT than FT, since they are pretty much the best PT program on the West coast. Anyone want to share a success story?

Nat1018
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:41 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby Nat1018 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:11 pm

Got 22k a year grant...definitely makes my decision harder to make!

User avatar
lstwin
Posts: 62
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:23 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby lstwin » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:24 pm

sibley wrote:Just withdrew (couldn't find a waiting thread?). Hard decision (nice weather! cool programs!) but had to be done.

25k scholly back in the pot.

This is probably a stupid question, but how do I withdraw? Do I just email the school, or is there a form on the USD site?

Thanks!

cougsnjazz
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:34 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby cougsnjazz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:31 pm

hopefulincal wrote:Was anyone successful at negotiating scholarship for the PT program? It seems like it's a lot harder to negotiate for PT than FT, since they are pretty much the best PT program on the West coast. Anyone want to share a success story?


I negotiated my scholarship to be renewable (PT), 3.3 (top 1/3) to renew. Anyone know if that's hard to do? Is it easier to get good grades in PT or FT?

hopefulincal
Posts: 142
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 1:25 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby hopefulincal » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:21 pm

cougsnjazz wrote:
hopefulincal wrote:Was anyone successful at negotiating scholarship for the PT program? It seems like it's a lot harder to negotiate for PT than FT, since they are pretty much the best PT program on the West coast. Anyone want to share a success story?


I negotiated my scholarship to be renewable (PT), 3.3 (top 1/3) to renew. Anyone know if that's hard to do? Is it easier to get good grades in PT or FT?


So did they increase the amount, or just made it renewable? Thanks.

I wonder if it's worthwhile to try and get a full ride from Cal Western and/or Thomas Jefferson and use those to negotiate the amount with USD. What do you guys think?

User avatar
bissey
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby bissey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:28 pm

called to ask about scholly since i've received no scholly info yet, meaning no scholly as of now. basically, they said they don't know and will let me know when they do. dont bother calling.

User avatar
bissey
Posts: 237
Joined: Mon May 11, 2009 5:12 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby bissey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:28 pm

hopefulincal wrote:
cougsnjazz wrote:
hopefulincal wrote:Was anyone successful at negotiating scholarship for the PT program? It seems like it's a lot harder to negotiate for PT than FT, since they are pretty much the best PT program on the West coast. Anyone want to share a success story?


I negotiated my scholarship to be renewable (PT), 3.3 (top 1/3) to renew. Anyone know if that's hard to do? Is it easier to get good grades in PT or FT?


So did they increase the amount, or just made it renewable? Thanks.

I wonder if it's worthwhile to try and get a full ride from Cal Western and/or Thomas Jefferson and use those to negotiate the amount with USD. What do you guys think?


always worthwhile

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby superflush » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:01 am

lstwin wrote:This is probably a stupid question, but how do I withdraw? Do I just email the school, or is there a form on the USD site?
Thanks!


You could email them. If they gave you a login for their site, you might be able to withdraw right on there.

User avatar
shepdawg
Posts: 477
Joined: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby shepdawg » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:42 pm

hopefulincal wrote:I wonder if it's worthwhile to try and get a full ride from Cal Western and/or Thomas Jefferson and use those to negotiate the amount with USD. What do you guys think?

I think both schools have ran out of money. What negotiating method do you plan to use to get a full scholarship?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: henryyou and 6 guests