U of San Diego Fall 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Temka
Posts: 157
Joined: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby Temka » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:28 pm

Legally_Brunette wrote:
CmonSD wrote:Soooo according to the admissions office (as of today) a bulk of the decisions will go out mid-late april but it is still rolling admissions up until August. :shock:


I think that's ridiculous, and is almost enough to make me withdraw. If the school/admissions can not consider the students' best interests now, before they even enroll, that does not give me much optimism for the future with respect to how they treat students. Honestly, if applicants did their part to apply before the 1st of the year, then they should be given a decision before seat deposits are due at other schools. That would be the DECENT, respectful thing to do. Wow I'm irked.

(my file went complete December 15 and is not even listed as "In Review" or anything yet. The status still says "File Complete." Ridiculous.

+1. They are really going about things the wrong way. This thread has turned into a "hate on USD" thread which is well deserved

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:17 pm

Temka wrote:
Legally_Brunette wrote:
CmonSD wrote:Soooo according to the admissions office (as of today) a bulk of the decisions will go out mid-late april but it is still rolling admissions up until August. :shock:


I think that's ridiculous, and is almost enough to make me withdraw. If the school/admissions can not consider the students' best interests now, before they even enroll, that does not give me much optimism for the future with respect to how they treat students. Honestly, if applicants did their part to apply before the 1st of the year, then they should be given a decision before seat deposits are due at other schools. That would be the DECENT, respectful thing to do. Wow I'm irked.

(my file went complete December 15 and is not even listed as "In Review" or anything yet. The status still says "File Complete." Ridiculous.

+1. They are really going about things the wrong way. This thread has turned into a "hate on USD" thread which is well deserved


That would be a real pity. The faculty and administration is obviously very nice and excited about the incoming class. It seemed clear from the ASD that they have admitted a group of students they would really like to see attend. I received my response in under 4 weeks and many people did as well. Other schools haven't given me the time of day, and I think I know what that means.

So if you do get a call in July to say that they have a spot, that means that out of the other couple thousand people that haven't been accepted, they want you the most. I know if my reaches (talking to you, UCLA) call me this summer, I'll gladly accept.

User avatar
twert
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby twert » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:31 pm

the thing about USD is that based on last year i should have gotten about 18k/year. if they accept me now, six months after going complete, they would probably not give any money. so i'm waiting six months for the opportunity to pay full price? no thanks.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:53 pm

twert wrote:the thing about USD is that based on last year i should have gotten about 18k/year. if they accept me now, six months after going complete, they would probably not give any money. so i'm waiting six months for the opportunity to pay full price? no thanks.


It's a numbers game, but it's not just a numbers game. How is the rest of your cycle going?

Not to rub it in, but based on last year's numbers, I shouldn't be getting anything, but they were fairly generous. (perhaps why I'm defending them) Point is, there is a lot of subjectivity. I think the reason they liked my app is because they are starting a new legal clinic this year in an area that just happens to be my background, where I have a disproportionate amount of experience.

User avatar
twert
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby twert » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:03 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
twert wrote:the thing about USD is that based on last year i should have gotten about 18k/year. if they accept me now, six months after going complete, they would probably not give any money. so i'm waiting six months for the opportunity to pay full price? no thanks.


It's a numbers game, but it's not just a numbers game. How is the rest of your cycle going?

Not to rub it in, but based on last year's numbers, I shouldn't be getting anything, but they were fairly generous. (perhaps why I'm defending them) Point is, there is a lot of subjectivity. I think the reason they liked my app is because they are starting a new legal clinic this year in an area that just happens to be my background, where I have a disproportionate amount of experience.

the rest of my cycle is going exactly the way numbers would predict. you sound like you like the school and it seems like a good fit, i'm not knocking the school, i'm just a little frustrated by the way they've handled things. six months is a long time to be complete. if they don't want me that's fine. they should make a decision

i really don't care anymore anyway, i'm taking a full scholarship at chapman and i'm stoked about it, i just think something stinks about USD's manners.

dalancas
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby dalancas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:07 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
Temka wrote:
Legally_Brunette wrote:
CmonSD wrote:Soooo according to the admissions office (as of today) a bulk of the decisions will go out mid-late april but it is still rolling admissions up until August. :shock:


I think that's ridiculous, and is almost enough to make me withdraw. If the school/admissions can not consider the students' best interests now, before they even enroll, that does not give me much optimism for the future with respect to how they treat students. Honestly, if applicants did their part to apply before the 1st of the year, then they should be given a decision before seat deposits are due at other schools. That would be the DECENT, respectful thing to do. Wow I'm irked.

(my file went complete December 15 and is not even listed as "In Review" or anything yet. The status still says "File Complete." Ridiculous.

+1. They are really going about things the wrong way. This thread has turned into a "hate on USD" thread which is well deserved


That would be a real pity. The faculty and administration is obviously very nice and excited about the incoming class. It seemed clear from the ASD that they have admitted a group of students they would really like to see attend. I received my response in under 4 weeks and many people did as well. Other schools haven't given me the time of day, and I think I know what that means.

So if you do get a call in July to say that they have a spot, that means that out of the other couple thousand people that haven't been accepted, they want you the most. I know if my reaches (talking to you, UCLA) call me this summer, I'll gladly accept.


Well obviously the administration would be excited about an incoming class that they themselves chose -as would any other school. That is how the whole process works. Based upon what I have seen so far in this thread, USD just seems to be a lot more cold when it comes to making decisions on where to allocate its attention. Last year they were ranked 82 and this year they are ranked 61. With this new ranking comes the possibility of wooing increasingly better numbers to the school. I suppose we shall see if they can. Also, who knows if they can sustain that high ranking?

If they cannot lure the sort of students with those high numbers, they have really shot themselves in the foot. For example, last year they admitted a bunch of students in the upper 150s with strong GPA's. So far I think they have accepted 2 150s applicants (off LSN), and both have withdrawn to my knowledge. Because, in the meantime every other applicant who has gotten the complete cold shoulder from the "nice" faculty and administration will have gotten an increasingly sour taste in their mouth for the school. I mean I don't know how many people will actually care about a USD decision letter, acceptance, waitlist or otherwise if it comes out in mid-April. By then they will have already sent in or have decided to send in a deposit at another school.

That is certainly my case. I submitted my Loyola and USD decisions on the same night in early November. I went complete at both schools around the same time. Loyola accepted me in late January; USD has not even sent me a decision of any sort.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:17 pm

If you are accepted to USD, I hope you choose it over Loyola.

I've been following a number of schools' threads and long waits are not atypical. It seems like in every thread there are some people who have been waiting for 5 months or longer. It just seems silly to take it personally, it's not like they are picking up your application once a day or even once a week and saying...let's make them suffer some more! They probably have a pile that they won't pick up again until April 16th.

User avatar
StoneontaState
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:11 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby StoneontaState » Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:05 pm

I agree with Dalancas. Because they have moved 20 spots in the rankings they are banking on students who have better numbers than students they have accepted in years past to attend. They are catering to these students with high numbers who are more than likely going to withdraw and go somewhere better, than students who would be more likely to go there with a lower LSAT score like me (159).

I still think that these students with higher numbers will go to better schools because let's face it: USD is still a regional school. Up north in LA graduates have USC, UCLA, Pepperdine, and Loyola to compete with and in the Bay Area I won't even list all the schools that pose competition.

I'm not badmouthing the school at all, though I am upset I haven't heard anything since I've been complete in early January; but they are not going to become a T1 after 2 cycles. It takes more time than that. When all the people with 168's withdraw they're going to be looking to admit people with 158's, 159's and 160's and these people might have already sent in deposits which is more than likely what I will do, and these people will be less likely to attend.

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby superflush » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:17 pm

Legally_Brunette wrote:
CmonSD wrote:Soooo according to the admissions office (as of today) a bulk of the decisions will go out mid-late april but it is still rolling admissions up until August. :shock:


I think that's ridiculous, and is almost enough to make me withdraw. If the school/admissions can not consider the students' best interests now, before they even enroll, that does not give me much optimism for the future with respect to how they treat students. Honestly, if applicants did their part to apply before the 1st of the year, then they should be given a decision before seat deposits are due at other schools. That would be the DECENT, respectful thing to do. Wow I'm irked.

(my file went complete December 15 and is not even listed as "In Review" or anything yet. The status still says "File Complete." Ridiculous.


I agree with you. To be honest, they don't seem to be very serious about things either.

cic10
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby cic10 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:51 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
-austin- wrote:On a side note, I toured Loyola the next day and it paled in comparison- Although I may be biased because I was already sold on USD before I left the ASD. :lol:

The prof at my lunch table also mentioned that one of the other profs was somewhat famous in the field of criminal procedure. So its cool that their top professors show up to campus functions.


Quickquestionthanks- I think I may have been sitting at your table for lunch because my professor was talking about the same thing. What table number were you at? 14?


That was indeed my table.

PS:
Image



haha. I was at table 14 too for the ASD. Small world.

BruinsFan
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby BruinsFan » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:25 pm

Just to address what some of you ware saying about the rankings thing...

2009 = 61
2008 = 82
2007 = 65
2006 = 63
2005 = 67

Way back when I was first looking into schools I met with admissions and asked about the fall in rankings. According to them it was because someone in career services reported their employment numbers incorrectly. This lead to an overhaul in career services and it seems as though they've fixed the problem. I think they'll be able to keep this ranking, as it looks like it's where they should be.

User avatar
twert
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby twert » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:27 pm

i really don't think anyone should make any decision based on the difference between 82 and 61. it could not matter less

dalancas
Posts: 69
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby dalancas » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:03 pm

To the above commenter, I absolutely agree with you. 61/82 doesn't really make a huge difference for decisions. However, it does mean a lot when it comes to people deciding to apply there, and a school wanting to maintain that boost in the rankings.

@BruinsFan, that trend is pretty interesting. Naturally, every school always has a pre-scripted answer to why the school will fall in the rankings. However, those numbers suggest that the 82 was just an apparition.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby quickquestionthanks » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:07 pm

dalancas wrote:To the above commenter, I absolutely agree with you. 61/82 doesn't really make a huge difference for decisions. However, it does mean a lot when it comes to people deciding to apply there, and a school wanting to maintain that boost in the rankings.

@BruinsFan, that trend is pretty interesting. Naturally, every school always has a pre-scripted answer to why the school will fall in the rankings. However, those numbers suggest that the 82 was just an aberration.


ftfy

RickyMack
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:26 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby RickyMack » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:32 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
dalancas wrote:To the above commenter, I absolutely agree with you. 61/82 doesn't really make a huge difference for decisions. However, it does mean a lot when it comes to people deciding to apply there, and a school wanting to maintain that boost in the rankings.

@BruinsFan, that trend is pretty interesting. Naturally, every school always has a pre-scripted answer to why the school will fall in the rankings. However, those numbers suggest that the 82 was just an aberration.


ftfy


the ghost of law school rankings past

BruinsFan
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby BruinsFan » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:10 am

twert wrote:i really don't think anyone should make any decision based on the difference between 82 and 61. it could not matter less


I completely agree, USD is a regional T2 school and whether it's ranked 61 or 82 is not going to change that. My point was that people kept commenting on its fall and rise in the rankings and I had some legitimate insight into it.

User avatar
twert
Posts: 414
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby twert » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:12 am

BruinsFan wrote:
twert wrote:i really don't think anyone should make any decision based on the difference between 82 and 61. it could not matter less


I completely agree, USD is a regional T2 school and whether it's ranked 61 or 82 is not going to change that. My point was that people kept commenting on its fall and rise in the rankings and I had some legitimate insight into it.

sorry i didn't mean to sound snarky, as far as the rankings go usd is more accurately considered a 60ish than an 80ish and there is nothing wrong with pointing it out.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:37 am

BruinsFan wrote:
twert wrote:i really don't think anyone should make any decision based on the difference between 82 and 61. it could not matter less


I completely agree, USD is a regional T2 school and whether it's ranked 61 or 82 is not going to change that. My point was that people kept commenting on its fall and rise in the rankings and I had some legitimate insight into it.



I was actually pretty pleased to see that list of rankings by year. Say what you will about the importance of it, but compared to a couple of schools I applied to in the 70s, I was thinking San Diego was a lot better. Then to find out it was in the 80s last year sort of threw me for a loop.

Legally_Brunette
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby Legally_Brunette » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:40 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
Temka wrote:
Legally_Brunette wrote:
CmonSD wrote:Soooo according to the admissions office (as of today) a bulk of the decisions will go out mid-late april but it is still rolling admissions up until August. :shock:


I think that's ridiculous, and is almost enough to make me withdraw. If the school/admissions can not consider the students' best interests now, before they even enroll, that does not give me much optimism for the future with respect to how they treat students. Honestly, if applicants did their part to apply before the 1st of the year, then they should be given a decision before seat deposits are due at other schools. That would be the DECENT, respectful thing to do. Wow I'm irked.

(my file went complete December 15 and is not even listed as "In Review" or anything yet. The status still says "File Complete." Ridiculous.


That would be a real pity. The faculty and administration is obviously very nice and excited about the incoming class. It seemed clear from the ASD that they have admitted a group of students they would really like to see attend. I received my response in under 4 weeks and many people did as well. Other schools haven't given me the time of day, and I think I know what that means.

So if you do get a call in July to say that they have a spot, that means that out of the other couple thousand people that haven't been accepted, they want you the most. I know if my reaches (talking to you, UCLA) call me this summer, I'll gladly accept.


If I get a call in July, I will be insulted. It's one thing to be WAITLISTED and THEN get offered a seat late in the game - but USD has not even done that, which is the reason I'm annoyed.

Obviously USD is going to cater to the students who they accept initially (as would any school). For them to call me in July with a seat opening does not in any way mean that they "want me the most." That would make me feel like a second-rate admit, which is not exactly how you want that 5-10% of your class to feel on day 1. (give or take as to the percent of the incoming class comes from the waitlist).

So that's great. I'm glad they have been super nice to YOU, but all I'm saying is that they should treat every applicant with a certain decency/respect since we all took the same time and effort, and show the same amount of interest in applying to their school. Berkeley probably laughed at my applicant (okay, not really), but at least they sent me a timely, empathetic rejection letter. That's the least these schools can do - I mean, we did shell out for the applicant fee...

(honestly, I'm not bitter or anything toward you - congrats on your admit there - I'm just disenchanted with their admin. cycle)

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby quickquestionthanks » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Legally_Brunette wrote:If I get a call in July, I will be insulted. It's one thing to be WAITLISTED and THEN get offered a seat late in the game - but USD has not even done that, which is the reason I'm annoyed.

Obviously USD is going to cater to the students who they accept initially (as would any school). For them to call me in July with a seat opening does not in any way mean that they "want me the most." That would make me feel like a second-rate admit, which is not exactly how you want that 5-10% of your class to feel on day 1. (give or take as to the percent of the incoming class comes from the waitlist).

So that's great. I'm glad they have been super nice to YOU, but all I'm saying is that they should treat every applicant with a certain decency/respect since we all took the same time and effort, and show the same amount of interest in applying to their school. Berkeley probably laughed at my applicant (okay, not really), but at least they sent me a timely, empathetic rejection letter. That's the least these schools can do - I mean, we did shell out for the applicant fee...

(honestly, I'm not bitter or anything toward you - congrats on your admit there - I'm just disenchanted with their admin. cycle)



Well, in my hypothetical scenario, the call in July would've been preceded by a wait list decision.

Don't most schools say they will be making decisions through May? It's not even April yet.

OrcinusOrcas
Posts: 97
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:58 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby OrcinusOrcas » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:48 pm

To the admitted students:

Any other future USD 1L's in the East Bay?? I didn't make it to the SF reception and would love to meet some of my future classmates. I'm going for an on campus visit in May, but that feels like eons away. So bored. PM me!

choochoo
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:59 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby choochoo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:00 am

So I'm assuming that if I go to the ASD on 4/12 then I can just deliver my seat deposit in person.... Is that a correct assumption??

Also, did anyone else interested in business law get an e-mail from Professor Frank Partnoy today? I thought it was a nice gesture.

User avatar
quickquestionthanks
Posts: 629
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:30 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby quickquestionthanks » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:10 am

RickyMack wrote:the ghost of law school rankings past


Nice. Couldn't think of anything that worked.

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby CmonSD » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:53 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
Legally_Brunette wrote:If I get a call in July, I will be insulted. It's one thing to be WAITLISTED and THEN get offered a seat late in the game - but USD has not even done that, which is the reason I'm annoyed.

Obviously USD is going to cater to the students who they accept initially (as would any school). For them to call me in July with a seat opening does not in any way mean that they "want me the most." That would make me feel like a second-rate admit, which is not exactly how you want that 5-10% of your class to feel on day 1. (give or take as to the percent of the incoming class comes from the waitlist).

So that's great. I'm glad they have been super nice to YOU, but all I'm saying is that they should treat every applicant with a certain decency/respect since we all took the same time and effort, and show the same amount of interest in applying to their school. Berkeley probably laughed at my applicant (okay, not really), but at least they sent me a timely, empathetic rejection letter. That's the least these schools can do - I mean, we did shell out for the applicant fee...

(honestly, I'm not bitter or anything toward you - congrats on your admit there - I'm just disenchanted with their admin. cycle)



Well, in my hypothetical scenario, the call in July would've been preceded by a wait list decision.

Don't most schools say they will be making decisions through May? It's not even April yet.


It would be one thing to say they will have decisions done by May.....but to say you could get your initial decision up until August is just crazy. I would gladly take a waitlist offer in July from them....but I would like to know if I am getting rejected before then, so I can actually enroll somewhere else without that lingering hope. That's all. Here's to hopefully hearing in April!

-austin-
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby -austin- » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:17 pm

cic10 wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:
-austin- wrote:On a side note, I toured Loyola the next day and it paled in comparison- Although I may be biased because I was already sold on USD before I left the ASD. :lol:

The prof at my lunch table also mentioned that one of the other profs was somewhat famous in the field of criminal procedure. So its cool that their top professors show up to campus functions.


Quickquestionthanks- I think I may have been sitting at your table for lunch because my professor was talking about the same thing. What table number were you at? 14?


That was indeed my table.

PS:
Image



haha. I was at table 14 too for the ASD. Small world.


The internet has come full circle!

To those who are not from/currently living in SD, where are you guys looking from apartments?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BrainsyK, cyclawps, malysh, sre08 and 10 guests