U of San Diego Fall 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
algren
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:50 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby algren » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:38 pm

BruinsFan wrote:When I spoke to other admitted students at ASD on Monday I was really impressed with the other schools they were visiting/considering. Many mentioned Hastings, David, some even UCLA. I thought I'd here more Loyolas, Pepperdines, and USFs. I really think that they admitted their ideal incoming class, based on lsat and gpa mostly (of course) and are waiting to see how many deposits they get.

They're taking a risk, mind you, that people within their medians or borderline will still enroll even after waiting until late April. Assuming they don't get enough deposits. I feel lucky I squeeked through.


Funny you mention this. Everytime I look at the graph on LSN you are my one shining hope BruinsFan. I'm a 164/3.0 guy and you're the acceptance that's kind of closest to where I would plot on there.

BruinsFan
Posts: 220
Joined: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby BruinsFan » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:41 pm

algren wrote:
BruinsFan wrote:When I spoke to other admitted students at ASD on Monday I was really impressed with the other schools they were visiting/considering. Many mentioned Hastings, David, some even UCLA. I thought I'd here more Loyolas, Pepperdines, and USFs. I really think that they admitted their ideal incoming class, based on lsat and gpa mostly (of course) and are waiting to see how many deposits they get.

They're taking a risk, mind you, that people within their medians or borderline will still enroll even after waiting until late April. Assuming they don't get enough deposits. I feel lucky I squeeked through.


Funny you mention this. Everytime I look at the graph on LSN you are my one shining hope BruinsFan. I'm a 164/3.0 guy and you're the acceptance that's kind of closest to where I would plot on there.



I applied part time. I hope that doesn't dim my shininess at all.

User avatar
algren
Posts: 202
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:50 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby algren » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:44 pm

BruinsFan wrote:
algren wrote:
BruinsFan wrote:When I spoke to other admitted students at ASD on Monday I was really impressed with the other schools they were visiting/considering. Many mentioned Hastings, David, some even UCLA. I thought I'd here more Loyolas, Pepperdines, and USFs. I really think that they admitted their ideal incoming class, based on lsat and gpa mostly (of course) and are waiting to see how many deposits they get.

They're taking a risk, mind you, that people within their medians or borderline will still enroll even after waiting until late April. Assuming they don't get enough deposits. I feel lucky I squeeked through.


Funny you mention this. Everytime I look at the graph on LSN you are my one shining hope BruinsFan. I'm a 164/3.0 guy and you're the acceptance that's kind of closest to where I would plot on there.



I applied part time. I hope that doesn't dim my shininess at all.


You've lost none of your luster!

-austin-
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby -austin- » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:59 pm

They kept mentioning this was one of the most competitive classes theyve enrolled, along with the largest application pool, which makes sense given the economy- So I guess they really can just pick and choose their ideal class.

Even though I only applied to the part time program and my numbers were above the median, I was still pretty surprised I got accepted.

Foosters Galore
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby Foosters Galore » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:15 pm

-austin- wrote:They kept mentioning this was one of the most competitive classes theyve enrolled, along with the largest application pool, which makes sense given the economy- So I guess they really can just pick and choose their ideal class.

Even though I only applied to the part time program and my numbers were above the median, I was still pretty surprised I got accepted.



No. They cannot. They can like to think that, but accepting a bunch of stellar applicants will leave them with a very small class as most go elsewhere.

santacruz143
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:29 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby santacruz143 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:19 pm

algren wrote:
BruinsFan wrote:
algren wrote:
BruinsFan wrote:When I spoke to other admitted students at ASD on Monday I was really impressed with the other schools they were visiting/considering. Many mentioned Hastings, David, some even UCLA. I thought I'd here more Loyolas, Pepperdines, and USFs. I really think that they admitted their ideal incoming class, based on lsat and gpa mostly (of course) and are waiting to see how many deposits they get.

They're taking a risk, mind you, that people within their medians or borderline will still enroll even after waiting until late April. Assuming they don't get enough deposits. I feel lucky I squeeked through.


Funny you mention this. Everytime I look at the graph on LSN you are my one shining hope BruinsFan. I'm a 164/3.0 guy and you're the acceptance that's kind of closest to where I would plot on there.



I applied part time. I hope that doesn't dim my shininess at all.


You've lost none of your luster!


Don't lose hope. I got my letter yesterday, in with 3.2/161. And I applied really late in the cycle.

User avatar
usuaggie
Posts: 585
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:43 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby usuaggie » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:23 pm

still app complete, thank you from 12/14. 159 3.32

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby CmonSD » Thu Mar 25, 2010 5:32 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:
-austin- wrote:They kept mentioning this was one of the most competitive classes theyve enrolled, along with the largest application pool, which makes sense given the economy- So I guess they really can just pick and choose their ideal class.

Even though I only applied to the part time program and my numbers were above the median, I was still pretty surprised I got accepted.



No. They cannot. They can like to think that, but accepting a bunch of stellar applicants will leave them with a very small class as most go elsewhere.


Yea...I wouldn't give up UCLA or the equivalent for USD.......I just assume everyone used USD as their safety......hopefully.

-austin-
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby -austin- » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:25 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:
-austin- wrote:They kept mentioning this was one of the most competitive classes theyve enrolled, along with the largest application pool, which makes sense given the economy- So I guess they really can just pick and choose their ideal class.

Even though I only applied to the part time program and my numbers were above the median, I was still pretty surprised I got accepted.



No. They cannot. They can like to think that, but accepting a bunch of stellar applicants will leave them with a very small class as most go elsewhere.


You're assuming their ideal class is nothing but stellar applicants, which I'm guessing you mean those with numbers above the schools xx percentile, but this is obviously not the case since somehow I got in :lol:

What I meant was that the applicant pool is large enough theyll be able to shape the kind of class they want, even after offers have been declined. When you have 5,000+ applicants and roughly 300ish spots to fill, it's like fish in a barrel.

User avatar
motedust
Posts: 147
Joined: Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby motedust » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:53 pm

$23k a year letter received. Not sure about stipulations because my aunt has it at my permanent address. Just turned in my financial aid form so I'm not sure if scholarship includes need based aid?? Anybody know? Pretty stoked, this moves USD to the top of my list.

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby CmonSD » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:42 am

Taking a tour today.....any advice? Things to avoid mentioning???

Foosters Galore
Posts: 305
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby Foosters Galore » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:37 pm

CmonSD wrote:Taking a tour today.....any advice? Things to avoid mentioning???



Yea, ask them if the chimpanzees they have employed in the admissions office work for peanuts or bananas.

In all seriousness, see if you can get a feel as to when they will have all the acceptances done, or if they already are done admitting folks. Thanks and have fun

therumormill
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:22 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby therumormill » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:44 pm

Foosters Galore wrote:
CmonSD wrote:Taking a tour today.....any advice? Things to avoid mentioning???



Yea, ask them if the chimpanzees they have employed in the admissions office work for peanuts or bananas.

In all seriousness, see if you can get a feel as to when they will have all the acceptances done, or if they already are done admitting folks. Thanks and have fun


maybe its rolling admissions.... even a chimpanzee can look that up right?

star10
Posts: 83
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:17 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby star10 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:02 pm

hey would someone be able to let me know what USD's first deposit deadline is...April 1 or 15th? i have it somewhere at home but am at work right now....


p.s. Visited the school yesterday...amazing!

-austin-
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:04 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby -austin- » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:59 pm

star10 wrote:hey would someone be able to let me know what USD's first deposit deadline is...April 1 or 15th? i have it somewhere at home but am at work right now....


p.s. Visited the school yesterday...amazing!


April 15th

User avatar
the_rad_trad
Posts: 68
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:01 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby the_rad_trad » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:28 pm

usuaggie wrote:still app complete, thank you from 12/14. 159 3.32


I'm AC from 2/4. Not nearly as long, but just as frustrating.

WWAD
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby WWAD » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:32 pm

I am bummed I have heard nothing since I went complete, but I am so borderline and started so late that I am ok waiting or even getting wait listed for now. I also live in SD if anyone wants to know anything about the area.

User avatar
CmonSD
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:40 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby CmonSD » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:40 pm

Soooo according to the admissions office (as of today) a bulk of the decisions will go out mid-late april but it is still rolling admissions up until August. :shock:

User avatar
superflush
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:45 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby superflush » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:20 pm

CmonSD wrote:Soooo according to the admissions office (as of today) a bulk of the decisions will go out mid-late april but it is still rolling admissions up until August. :shock:


yea, they don't seem too concerned about it.

CTPhIst
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:00 am

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby CTPhIst » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:56 pm

Man this wait is a real bummer.

holidayfromreal
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:56 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby holidayfromreal » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:45 pm

just withdrew, good luck to everyone on the waitlist and those still waiting

bebesu
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:14 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby bebesu » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:33 am

Got a 15k/yr grant letter from them - I'm a part timer. It says I just have to show "financial need." Not sure exactly what that means. Anyone else get this? I'm pretty excited if it holds up...

WWAD
Posts: 186
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby WWAD » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:20 am

Did you apply part time or select that you would take it? Would you mind sharing your numbers?

Legally_Brunette
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2010 12:07 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby Legally_Brunette » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:31 am

CmonSD wrote:Soooo according to the admissions office (as of today) a bulk of the decisions will go out mid-late april but it is still rolling admissions up until August. :shock:


I think that's ridiculous, and is almost enough to make me withdraw. If the school/admissions can not consider the students' best interests now, before they even enroll, that does not give me much optimism for the future with respect to how they treat students. Honestly, if applicants did their part to apply before the 1st of the year, then they should be given a decision before seat deposits are due at other schools. That would be the DECENT, respectful thing to do. Wow I'm irked.

(my file went complete December 15 and is not even listed as "In Review" or anything yet. The status still says "File Complete." Ridiculous.

User avatar
GoodToBeTheKing
Posts: 296
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:34 pm

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby GoodToBeTheKing » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:57 am

my file went complete 11/24 and I still have not heard back from USD... I applied part-time.

All I can be happy for so far is that I havent been rejected already... oh yeah, I am so happy!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: amberb94, dreamer_13, NotAGolfer, nslaw123, Snowjon and 14 guests