U of San Diego Fall 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
missinglink

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Postby missinglink » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:30 am

quickquestionthanks wrote:
missinglink wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:I know how you feel about trying to judge the place from afar. I'm glad I went. I can totally see myself going there now, where before it was a mystery. I wish they had a 3D campus tour online.

If you have any specific questions I'm sure Veritas and I would be happy to throw in our two cents. A couple of things I thought of were that the Mock court thing we watched was really interesting and made me want to try out for it. Also, the campus is pretty centrally located so that you can live wherever in SD. I wouldn't get an apartment 2 min away, since getting around the city is pretty easy. I'd go downtown or maybe Mission Beach.

Thanks for the write up. I might have to head down there for a visit. Are there any more ASD planned?

I think it would take some fin aid to get me to come, though. Pretty expensive at sticker. Lot of people with my numbers on LSN seemed to have gotten 15k a year, though it appears they can't really offer much at the moment.

There's one on April 12th. As I've reported before, they're still giving out grants. Perhaps the number will increase after 4/1

Thanks. I suppose it might help if I get my institutional financial aid form in ASAP. I got my FAFSA in right before the deadline, but forgot that there was a separate short form that they needed filled out as well, one that came with the initial acceptance packet.

-austin-

Postby -austin- » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:41 pm

I just got back from my trip out there for the 3/22 ASD and it was definitely worth the time/expense. I don't think I've ever felt more welcome at a school before. I sent in my seat deposit this morning and plan on attending. I'll be more than happy to elaborate on my experience later (when I'm not at work and I'm not so jet lagged) if any of the other east coasters are still hesitant about going out there to visit.

Some of the more recent posts have been about scholarships and additional funding. For those of you who did not attend the financial aid session after lunch, the issue was discussed there. The answer to the scholarship question was something along the lines of initial offers are made before the first seat deposit and then funds are reallotted after April 15th once the schools receives seat deposits. The money from those who were given scholarship offers but are not attending with be given out to attending students either as new or additional funds. This happens until the class is full and/or they run out of money. What he stressed was that they wont be giving any scholarship offers to accepted students (that did not receive one initially) until after the first seat deposit.
Im not sure if this has been answered yet because I've only read the last couple pages of this thread.

On a side note, I toured Loyola the next day and it paled in comparison- Although I may be biased because I was already sold on USD before I left the ASD. :lol:

The prof at my lunch table also mentioned that one of the other profs was somewhat famous in the field of criminal procedure. So its cool that their top professors show up to campus functions.

Quickquestionthanks- I think I may have been sitting at your table for lunch because my professor was talking about the same thing. What table number were you at? 14?

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:47 pm

-austin- wrote:On a side note, I toured Loyola the next day and it paled in comparison- Although I may be biased because I was already sold on USD before I left the ASD. :lol:

The prof at my lunch table also mentioned that one of the other profs was somewhat famous in the field of criminal procedure. So its cool that their top professors show up to campus functions.

Quickquestionthanks- I think I may have been sitting at your table for lunch because my professor was talking about the same thing. What table number were you at? 14?

That was indeed my table.

PS:
Last edited by quickquestionthanks on Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:52 pm

Thanks for the write up, -austin-. I Just remembered that San Diego accepted me with my older LSAT score.

I raised it 4 points in February, but will probably have wait till after seat deposits to be reconsidered with the new score. That raises a tough situation. I essentially need to pay for the first seat deposit before finding out whether I have been reconsidered for additional funds. Maybe I can try to get a seat deposit extension. I'd rather not have to pay to play.

-austin-

Postby -austin- » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:25 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
That was indeed my table.

PS:

Haha ya you were right, I looked it up as soon as I left. I had no idea he was an alum.

missinglink wrote:Thanks for the write up, -austin-. I Just remembered that San Diego accepted me with my older LSAT score.

I raised it 4 points in February, but will probably have wait till after seat deposits to be reconsidered with the new score. That raises a tough situation. I essentially need to pay for the first seat deposit before finding out whether I have been reconsidered for additional funds. Maybe I can try to get a seat deposit extension. I'd rather not have to pay to play.

Your case may be different than most since you have a score increase. It's worth a call to the financial aid office to see if you can be reconsidered before April 15th.
Unfortunately I think if you havent received a scholarship offer up front, youre going to have to pay to play for most schools- I think thats how it's set up haha.

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:33 pm

My attempt at negotiating more money at USD failed so I will be withdrawing soon. Hopefully my spot and money go to a fellow TLSer.

superflush

Postby superflush » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:27 pm

holidayfromreal wrote:thanks for your opinion, I'm on the east coast and it's hard to visit so if anyone else has any review that would be awesome

I'm from the east coast and I'll be visiting during this month. If you wanna know anything after I visit.
I've spent some time in SD too, but I think Veritas and others live there, so they'd know more.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:31 pm

Still waiting :oops:

algren

Postby algren » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:44 pm

Charles Barkley wrote:Still waiting :oops:

+ 3,456,237,345

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:39 am

fcowrx wrote:My attempt at negotiating more money at USD failed so I will be withdrawing soon. Hopefully my spot and money go to a fellow TLSer.

Can you elaborate? I'm about to try my hand at negotiating myself.

Then I could justify the 160 dollar air fare to San Diego for the next ASD.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:06 am

missinglink wrote:
fcowrx wrote:My attempt at negotiating more money at USD failed so I will be withdrawing soon. Hopefully my spot and money go to a fellow TLSer.

They have pretty strict cut off lines for their scholarships. But you can get bumped up if enough people withdraw in the higher range.

I just withdrew, so hopefully you get bumped up :D

fcowrx

Postby fcowrx » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:30 am

Veritas wrote:
missinglink wrote:

They have pretty strict cut off lines for their scholarships. But you can get bumped up if enough people withdraw in the higher range.

I just withdrew, so hopefully you get bumped up :D

What he said. They just responded that they reconsidered my app and my profile in comparison to others' leaves me with my current award as the best offer at the moment. Deadlines at other schools are fast approaching and I'm not about to pay deposits at 3+ schools for a chance at more money. Hopefully my withdrawal means better opportunities for others.

I'm still going to visit the campus when I'm in San Diego mid-April and see exactly what it is I'll be missing out on. I'm sure I'll love it, but such is life.

Charles Barkley

Postby Charles Barkley » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:47 am

Oh, and I like the Auburn picture of me earlier on this page :P

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:57 am

It's official.....four months and a whole lot of nothing. It is making me sad..... :cry:

rossoneri13

Postby rossoneri13 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:28 am

CmonSD wrote:It's official.....four months and a whole lot of nothing. It is making me sad..... :cry:

That seems so strange...

Does anyone know if this is just how the USD admission process works? Are they being really selective with their offers and waiting for the 1st deadline to send out more decisions? It looks like they haven't handed out any waitlists so far and very few rejections.

CmonSD

Postby CmonSD » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:38 am

rossoneri13 wrote:
CmonSD wrote:It's official.....four months and a whole lot of nothing. It is making me sad..... :cry:

That seems so strange...

Does anyone know if this is just how the USD admission process works? Are they being really selective with their offers and waiting for the 1st deadline to send out more decisions? It looks like they haven't handed out any waitlists so far and very few rejections.

They don't seem to have a process. I mean, I am aware my numbers are fairly borderline and will prob get me another waitlist, but people have been accepted with similar numbers who applied right before the deadline.....I guess I should have applied after January.

motedust

Postby motedust » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:47 am

Man USD seems to be pretty slow... quite the opposite of my encounter with them. I applied in late January and did not get my February LSAT in to them until mid february but went from Incomplete to accepted within 2 days. I did however take a visit there in the middle of January and met with an ad comm since I am from San Diego and go to school within 10 minutes of USD. Now I am just waiting for $$ which I will need to turn down Wake Forest. My LSAT is > 75% and GPA < 25%. 3.0x/168.

Anyone wanna take a guess at my $$ situation??

quickquestionthanks

Postby quickquestionthanks » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:30 am

Charles Barkley wrote:Oh, and I like the Auburn picture of me earlier on this page :P

CB got in a bar fight during his first year in Phoenix. He threw a guy through a window. When asked if he regretted it, he said "yeah, I wish we were on the second floor"

CTPhIst

Postby CTPhIst » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:08 am

Talked to an admissions woman yesterday and was told that the vast bulk of notifications will be sent out in mid to late April.

joonhp

Postby joonhp » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:19 am

mid to late april... oy~ the agony

barrel_bra

Postby barrel_bra » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:03 am

The majority of acceptances have been sent out...Leaving mostly wait-lists and rejections.

If you're holding out for USD, it would be in your best interest to have a back-up plan just in case.

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:20 am

I can't believe USD has taken so long to respond. I'm still complete 1/15.

azb

Postby azb » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:01 am

smartblonde87 wrote:I can't believe USD has taken so long to respond. I'm still complete 1/15.

I have been complete since November....
This forum reminds me that I have applied to San Diego and have not heard since

StoneontaState

Postby StoneontaState » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:04 am

barrel_bra wrote:The majority of acceptances have been sent out...Leaving mostly wait-lists and rejections.

If you're holding out for USD, it would be in your best interest to have a back-up plan just in case.

^^^ This. Which is unbelievable to me because I have better stats than people who were accepted last year and already this year. If you look at LSN pretty much everyone who received their decisions after April 1st last year was a waitlist or reject. I've decided to move on. F this school.

santacruz143

Postby santacruz143 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:09 am

For anyone who is still waiting: I applied late Jan, sat for the Feb LSAT and went complete early March. Just received acceptance yesterday via snail mail...no $ :( Hope that helps.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”