U of San Diego Fall 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hopefulincal

Bronze

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Post by hopefulincal » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:14 pm

bebesu wrote:Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Looks like they published 2009 employment stats:

http://www.sandiego.edu/law/careers/stu ... t_data.php

Very nice! A substantial improvement over 2008 actually.
Kudos to them for publishing more detailed stats than most schools. However, the 96% Employment Rate is misleading. I don't understand how you could include those pursuing a degree full-time as employed. If you want to be more accurate, the % of students with paying jobs within 9 months is 77%, which is actually better than I expected.

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:16 pm

WWAD wrote:
Charles Barkley wrote:Still waiting --ImageRemoved--
Mr Barkley,

I am still waiting as well, when did you apply/go complete? I went complete on 2/25.

I went complete January 14. :oops:

moe

New

Post by moe » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:10 pm

scuzle wrote:
moe wrote:decision rendered today for me as well...

seems like everyone's been getting dinged or waitlisted lately.. i'm skurred!

Don't be scared! No is the worst it can be and I am sure that you will do well at any law school you attend! Keep your chin up.
thank you! that's very kind of you to say!

also, to "charles barkley".. how do you do that popcorn smiley?? lol

sdlaw

New

Post by sdlaw » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:17 pm

Just got decision rendered here too... Very nervous after all those rejects so lets hope this wave is admits. I'm a 164/3.3 so fingers are crossed. Employment stats look great for the class of 09 a pretty solid bump from 08, makes me optimistic after all the negativity on TLS about job prospects.

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:23 pm

DR, 166, 3.1
probably reject.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Matlock

Silver

Post by Mr. Matlock » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:24 pm

Still nothing. :|

sdlaw

New

Post by sdlaw » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:39 pm

twert wrote:DR, 166, 3.1
probably reject.

I'd be pretty surprised if you got dinged, although i'd be pretty surprised if i got dinged too, so lets hope its a waive of accepts.

Charles Barkley

Bronze

Post by Charles Barkley » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:40 pm

moe wrote:
scuzle wrote:
moe wrote:decision rendered today for me as well...

seems like everyone's been getting dinged or waitlisted lately.. i'm skurred!

Don't be scared! No is the worst it can be and I am sure that you will do well at any law school you attend! Keep your chin up.
thank you! that's very kind of you to say!

also, to "charles barkley".. how do you do that popcorn smiley?? lol
Just quote my post with the smiley and copy the image link.
--ImageRemoved--

sizzle04

New

Post by sizzle04 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:50 pm

sdlaw wrote:Just got decision rendered here too... Very nervous after all those rejects so lets hope this wave is admits. I'm a 164/3.3 so fingers are crossed. Employment stats look great for the class of 09 a pretty solid bump from 08, makes me optimistic after all the negativity on TLS about job prospects.
your profile says Waitlisted at USD? :?:
was it via email?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sdlaw

New

Post by sdlaw » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:23 pm

just went dr today and i saw it just by checking the status checker... haven't updated my profile yet

Norwood

Bronze

Post by Norwood » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:23 pm

twert wrote:DR, 166, 3.1
probably reject.
Well, your answer will likely be either be a reject or accept. I was waitlisted and my status checker confirms this along with an email notification.

With your numbers, I would expect you would be on the Accept/Waitlist borderline rather than waitlist/reject. So I would bet that you were accepted because I don't see a straight out rejection for you.

I may be wrong, so good luck!

pegleg

Bronze

Post by pegleg » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:25 pm

hopefulincal wrote:
bebesu wrote:However, the 96% Employment Rate is misleading.
Not to mention that they include people who stopped looking for a job after 9 months. This could include people who simply gave up because they could not find work.

wswalt

New

Post by wswalt » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:28 pm

For the people that have been accepted did your status checker say accepted or have the deposit amounts? Have they notified accepted people any other way besides a letter in the mail?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pegleg

Bronze

Post by pegleg » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:35 pm

wswalt wrote:For the people that have been accepted did your status checker say accepted or have the deposit amounts? Have they notified accepted people any other way besides a letter in the mail?
My status only said Decision Rendered. I got my acceptance in the mail four days later. No financial aid info yet.

In the acceptance packet there is a deposit slip and a financial aid form they require before they send you an award.

bananaslug

New

Post by bananaslug » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:39 pm

Is anyone going to the OC reception/meet and greet/ whatever thing at Gibson, Dunn, and Crutcher on Wednesday?

If so, what are you guys wearing? I don't know how causal or formal this event is...

OH and there were no online status updates for me, just a packet via snail mail

BruinsFan

Bronze

Post by BruinsFan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:45 pm

pegleg wrote:
hopefulincal wrote:
Not to mention that they include people who stopped looking for a job after 9 months. This could include people who simply gave up because they could not find work.
I agree that this stat could include people who just gave up, but I think it most likely is comprised of people who got married, inherited some dough, or something along those lines. I'd be more inclined to say that the 4% who didn't report would be the unemployed/can't find a job category. I don't think most people can graduate from law school and then just give up when they don't find a job.

Let's do some math.

276 are reporting their employment or unemployment.

Private Practice: 164 (employed)
Business: 37 (employed, this is the category I'm paying attention to because they AREN'T practicing law)
Government: 25 (employed)
PI: 16 (employed)
Clerk: 8 (employed)
Academic: 25 (in school or employed; take this whatever way you wish)
Unknown: 1 ( this is the "not seeking full time employment" person)

I believe this = 276

I know employment stats have their skews, but am I wrong on this one?

Spiraling

New

Post by Spiraling » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:41 pm

i need answers!! the suspense is killing me.

it looks like there were a batch of rejections, a batch of waitlists, does that mean a batch of acceptances next :)?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:58 pm

Spiraling wrote:i need answers!! the suspense is killing me.

it looks like there were a batch of rejections, a batch of waitlists, does that mean a batch of acceptances next :)?
+111111

Still App Complete 4/9/10. I've gotten over the potential "subliminal messages" with the status checker. Real completion date was early November.

Spiraling

New

Post by Spiraling » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:03 pm

adonai wrote:
Spiraling wrote:i need answers!! the suspense is killing me.

+111111

Still App Complete 4/9/10. I've gotten over the potential "subliminal messages" with the status checker. Real completion date was early November.
Yeah, I called the admissions office and they said they change in completion date means nothing. I'm complete 4/9/10 too.

bebesu

New

Post by bebesu » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:08 am

BruinsFan wrote:
pegleg wrote:
hopefulincal wrote:
I agree that this stat could include people who just gave up, but I think it most likely is comprised of people who got married, inherited some dough, or something along those lines. I'd be more inclined to say that the 4% who didn't report would be the unemployed/can't find a job category. I don't think most people can graduate from law school and then just give up when they don't find a job.

Let's do some math.

276 are reporting their employment or unemployment.

Private Practice: 164 (employed)
Business: 37 (employed, this is the category I'm paying attention to because they AREN'T practicing law)
Government: 25 (employed)
PI: 16 (employed)
Clerk: 8 (employed)
Academic: 25 (in school or employed; take this whatever way you wish)
Unknown: 1 ( this is the "not seeking full time employment" person)

I believe this = 276

I know employment stats have their skews, but am I wrong on this one?
Well, 276 out of 326 graduates reported employment. That's about 85%. That includes being employed by Academics, not attending school as you interpreted. The one unknown is still employed, just unknown as to which sector.

So that means the other 9% (for a total of 96% "employment) is made up of the "(2) pursing a degree full-time or (3) not seeking a job by 9 months after graduation."

It might be misleading for them to say 96% employed, but when you actually look at the numbers it looks pretty damn good. 85% of the graduating class was definitely employed, with the others either in school full time or not seeking employment. The numbers they provide make the reporting relatively transparent and provide enough information for an accurate employment assessment - which is far more than many other schools provide.

BruinsFan

Bronze

Post by BruinsFan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:43 am

Thanks for the break down! I'll take 85% for what it is. That leaves about 30 people in that 9% who are still in school or "not seeking full time employment."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

motedust

Bronze

Post by motedust » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:33 pm

30-40 students are part-time. That probably makes a different somewhere, hell if I know what it is.

momo_08

New

Post by momo_08 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:09 pm

ugh come on USD! I just want an answer! Its biggest pull for me is location and proximity to my family. I've been complete since 2/2 and it has been driving me insane especially since it was in my top 4 and i got answers back from the rest of them..

i'm thinking it's a rejection though...i mean getting an acceptance this late? I'm not sure if i see that as being likely. I would say at the very best it's going to be a waitlist :/

pegleg

Bronze

Post by pegleg » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:46 pm

bananaslug wrote:Is anyone going to the OC reception/meet and greet/ whatever thing at Gibson, Dunn, and Crutcher on Wednesday?

If so, what are you guys wearing? I don't know how causal or formal this event is...

OH and there were no online status updates for me, just a packet via snail mail
Where is the info for this? I didn't get anything :(

igotmineatross

New

Post by igotmineatross » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:39 pm

damn man. ive been file complete since 10/13/09 WTH is going on? do u think they forgot my file or something?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”