U of San Diego Fall 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eberl032

Bronze

U of San Diego Fall 2010

Post by eberl032 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:24 pm

163/3.51. Got In via letter in the mail. Anyone else hear anything? I applied to some higher ranked schools, but San Diego is so tempting I dont think I can pass it up. Any word on when $$ will be released?

Mosca

Bronze

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Post by Mosca » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:26 pm

When did you go complete and did your status checker change before you got the letter?

OrcinusOrcas

New

Post by OrcinusOrcas » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:33 pm

We have really similar stats (162/ 3.5). I just sent my apps off last week, so I haven't even gone complete but congrats! As a native San Diegan, I realize it's only a T2 but I would have a hard time turning down USD too!

eberl032

Bronze

Post by eberl032 » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:18 pm

I went complete back in September. The 20th maybe. about 1 month later my status check changed to "Decision Sent by Mail" or something like that. 1 week latter, i got the letter. Good luck to you as well.

As a San diegan, any thoughts for me? Ive never been but it seems like a phenominal place. Im sick of -20 degree winters... I also like that USD is the best school in its respective market.

threeonefour

New

Post by threeonefour » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:28 pm

Congrats on the decision. I'm still waiting to hear back, I submitted around the same time as you however my status is still "complete". Any idea what this could mean?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:36 pm

hey I got in last week! 165/3.82

money comes in the New Year.

Inygma

Silver

Post by Inygma » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:38 pm

Congrats guys, I just went complete so hopefully I find out soon.

163 / 3.71

nickc8

Bronze

Post by nickc8 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:52 pm

Does the status checker actually say "Complete"? Mine has only said application received for two weeks now.

threeonefour

New

Post by threeonefour » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:03 pm

Yes, mine has said "application received" since 9/15.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mbleak

New

Post by mbleak » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:40 pm

Accepted today! I'm finishing up my last semester of undergrad at USD, so if anyone has questions about the campus, people, etc let me know!

williamsmatt

New

Post by williamsmatt » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:46 pm

mbleak wrote:Accepted today! I'm finishing up my last semester of undergrad at USD, so if anyone has questions about the campus, people, etc let me know!
Do you like it there? What do you think law school will be like? I'm not convinced I'm here to stay, but it's been a good 8 years.

SDWaterBaby

New

Post by SDWaterBaby » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:55 pm

eberl032 wrote:I went complete back in September. The 20th maybe. about 1 month later my status check changed to "Decision Sent by Mail" or something like that. 1 week latter, i got the letter. Good luck to you as well.

As a San diegan, any thoughts for me? Ive never been but it seems like a phenominal place. Im sick of -20 degree winters... I also like that USD is the best school in its respective market.

San Diego is one of the best places to live in California. I've been here 4 years now for undergrad, and I will have a really difficult time leaving after I graduate (unless I cave and go to USD). The nightlife is great, there's downtown gaslamp district for clubbing and lounges, lots of great places to eat, very classy. Downtown SD gives you the city life experience without the traffic. Pacific Beach is more of a dive bar scene if you're into that, it's like a surfer town with lots of backpackers and locals that are laid back and just looking to have a good time.

The beaches are to die for, and beach weather comes and goes even in the winter months. I've been swimming in the ocean in January before. That being said, it doesn't get very cold in the winter either even if it isn't beach weather exactly.

The people are generally really cool in SD too, the atmosphere is really laid back and relaxed. There's tons to do for all sorts of personalities, lots of outdoor activities, a great local music scene, tons of great bars/clubs/coffee houses. USD is also gorgeous, the campus is beautiful and welcoming. I think all of you guys attending USD in the fall are in for a great 3 years. You can PM me if you have specific questions about the SD area, I'll try my best to answer them.

nickc8

Bronze

Post by nickc8 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:55 pm

"File Complete" today. Hopefully I hear soon...congrats to those already accepted.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

DoctorNick189

Bronze

Post by DoctorNick189 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:00 pm

Last edited by DoctorNick189 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:01 pm

SDWaterBaby wrote:
eberl032 wrote:I went complete back in September. The 20th maybe. about 1 month later my status check changed to "Decision Sent by Mail" or something like that. 1 week latter, i got the letter. Good luck to you as well.

San Diego is one of the best places to live in California. I've been here 4 years now for undergrad, and I will have a really difficult time leaving after I graduate (unless I cave and go to USD). The nightlife is great, there's downtown gaslamp district for clubbing and lounges, lots of great places to eat, very classy. Downtown SD gives you the city life experience without the traffic. Pacific Beach is more of a dive bar scene if you're into that, it's like a surfer town with lots of backpackers and locals that are laid back and just looking to have a good time.

The beaches are to die for, and beach weather comes and goes even in the winter months. I've been swimming in the ocean in January before. That being said, it doesn't get very cold in the winter either even if it isn't beach weather exactly.

The people are generally really cool in SD too, the atmosphere is really laid back and relaxed. There's tons to do for all sorts of personalities, lots of outdoor activities, a great local music scene, tons of great bars/clubs/coffee houses. USD is also gorgeous, the campus is beautiful and welcoming. I think all of you guys attending USD in the fall are in for a great 3 years. You can PM me if you have specific questions about the SD area, I'll try my best to answer them.
You'll have a great three years, just not the best job prospects :|

I love USD and San Diego, I'm just scared, ITE, of the career prospects.

Anyone have (unbiased) info on employment from the most recent graduating class?

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:01 pm

DoctorNick189 wrote:Any idea how USD deals with splitters? 2.99/176 here. Went complete on Nov. 3.

What kind of rent would I be looking at it if I wanted to live near the law school? Would I need a car?
I would be SHOCKED if you don't get in.

SDWaterBaby

New

Post by SDWaterBaby » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:04 pm

Veritas, I'm having the exact same thoughts. I would LOVE to stay in SD, but I'm really afraid of job prospects. I hear it's brutal, because SD doesn't have such a great market. USD tuition is also really high, I'm terrified of not being able to repay my debt. I would also be eager to hear unbiased info about the job prospects for this year's USD grads.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Veritas

Gold

Post by Veritas » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:07 pm

SDWaterBaby wrote:Veritas, I'm having the exact same thoughts. I would LOVE to stay in SD, but I'm really afraid of job prospects. I hear it's brutal, because SD doesn't have such a great market. USD tuition is also really high, I'm terrified of not being able to repay my debt. I would also be eager to hear unbiased info about the job prospects for this year's USD grads.
Yea, I already have a better option where all costs (including living expenses) are less than just the tuition at USD. I haven't heard about scholarships yet, but I think it would have to be substantial and flexible (no stringent requirements) to strongly sway me.

williamsmatt

New

Post by williamsmatt » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:08 pm

SDWaterBaby wrote:

I think you make a lot of good selling points to going to school in San Diego, CA. However I have mixed feelings about living here. I have been here since I finished my masters degree in statistics from Iowa State and it's just not like the Midwest at all. There are a lot of people here and it's hard to form close ties with other people. I think this is easier to do if you are in a school environment though; I have been working full time since I have been here. It's okay. Although, very expensive. And, I think the starting salaries are about 70-80k for private practice, which TLS warns is somewhat low compared to the sticker price of USD. I'm thinking about moving for law school, you do realize that rent here is about 1039 for a studio apartment. You can find better deals if you shop around but this is pretty standard if you are in the nice part of town. I had a tour at USD and the campus is quite small if you ask me and there's not very much greenery, if you ask me. But I went to school in the Midwest, so it's probably a different standard. Just my 2 cents. It sounds like I'm against San Diego, CA or something; I'm not. Just want to give a balanced view on the city.

williamsmatt

New

Post by williamsmatt » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:09 pm

DoctorNick189 wrote:Any idea how USD deals with splitters? 2.99/176 here. Went complete on Nov. 3.

What kind of rent would I be looking at it if I wanted to live near the law school? Would I need a car?
Rent is about 1,000 for yourself. If you are sharing then the cost goes slightly down but not enough to not want your own place. You would definitely need one [a car].

mbleak

New

Post by mbleak » Wed Nov 11, 2009 10:35 pm

I actually know a few people who graduated this past year from USD law, and all of them had more than one job offer before they had graduated and passed the bar. The USD campus is absolutely gorgeous, and I don't think it's been below 70 degrees this entire semester.
The nightlife is also awesome out here. There are various places throughout the city that are fun to go on the weekends.
In terms of living costs, I currently live in a one bedroom apartment that costs 1265 a month. The two bedrooms in my complex are around 1500-1600. Most people I know who are sharing an apartment or house are paying between 600-900 dollars a month. Having a car is pretty important though, since the trolley doesn't run to campus. There is a bus that drops you off directly in front of campus, so you could potentially take the trolley and a bus to campus everyday.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:12 pm

When should I expect a decision?
Last edited by adonai on Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

legalzoom

New

Post by legalzoom » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:25 pm

I went complete on 9/18 and I'm still waiting for a decision - splitter: 2.8, 167

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:44 pm

I think you'll be fine.

You'll want a car.

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:49 pm

Veritas wrote:
I would be SHOCKED if you don't get in.
Yea, that is a better way to put it.
(watch out for the YP)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”