U of San Diego Fall 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zeth006

Silver

Re: U of San Diego Fall 2010

Post by zeth006 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:07 pm

Just a quick question. I'm WL'ed with Hastings and stilling awaiting a reply from Davis, but I have my financial aid/loan request form from my safety school, USD, to hand in by the June 1st deadline. I’m prepared to turn in my initial seat deposit for USD just in case I’ll have to wait beyond USD’s April 15th for a reply from either school. If by some cruel stroke of luck I end up sending my USD loan request form by June 1st and receive an admit decision from either school around July or even August, will I get screwed in some way shape or form? As far as I know, there’s nothing in USD’s financial aid forms that state that attendance is compulsory once any forms are signed!

Temka

Bronze

Post by Temka » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:53 pm

Is anyone elses Status Checker page down all day? Maybe some decisions? haha probably not...

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:02 pm

Temka wrote:Is anyone elses Status Checker page down all day? Maybe some decisions? haha probably not...
I haven't been able to check all day either. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Hi everyone,

While I am not attending USD (I know it is a great school), I would really like to come back to SD to practice. Do y'all know which BIGLAW firms are in SD so that I can target my OCI to them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know.

Thanks

joonhp

Bronze

Post by joonhp » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:12 pm

Mattalones wrote:Hi everyone,

While I am not attending USD (I know it is a great school), I would really like to come back to SD to practice. Do y'all know which BIGLAW firms are in SD so that I can target my OCI to them? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please let me know.

Thanks
I'm pretty sure Latham and Watkins is down there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:07 am

Latham is down there. And out of there 101 attorneys, 4 are from USD :( Seems like they recruit from the top 30 quite heavily. A lot of UVA and USC students.

But I checked a random sampling of about 10 of the top 30 NLJ250 firms...it seems like ~half of them have SD offices although some are very small. Just go look at their websites and search for office locations. Most have a search feature to find where they are from.

Where are you going Mattalones?

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:06 am

I went to UCLA and have lived in SoCal (Temecula area) for about 10 years. I love it here and SD is amazing! I think that I will be at BU for Cornell (b/c UCLA was a no go and I didn't apply to USC) :-( I really don't want to leave, but it looks inevitable.

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:44 am

Mattalones wrote:I went to UCLA and have lived in SoCal (Temecula area) for about 10 years. I love it here and SD is amazing! I think that I will be at BU for Cornell (b/c UCLA was a no go and I didn't apply to USC) :-( I really don't want to leave, but it looks inevitable.

You'll be fine, everybody needs a break from LA LA land every once in a while. And since we'll be competing for the same jobs in SD, I highly recommend you go to BU :mrgreen:

Snazzygirl

New

Post by Snazzygirl » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:15 am

Bert wrote:
Temka wrote:Is anyone elses Status Checker page down all day? Maybe some decisions? haha probably not...
I haven't been able to check all day either. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Still down...I haven't been able to check it since last week Friday...hum.....wish they'd send out an email like Santa Clara telling us where they are in their application reviews...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:38 am

Three more weeks and hopefully most will have decisions! I agree, I wish they would send out an email like that. It is nice to know I haven't been waiting around for a big fat reject.

boardride23

New

Post by boardride23 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:43 am

To everyone else still considering USD: are their employment prospects really all that bad relative to other schools? I love the San Diego area and would love to work there, but most of all would love a job. I know the San Diego legal market is tiny, and very competitive (especially considering the T-20 school students that move into the market upon graduation). Am I insane for considering schools like Loyola and Pepperdine over USD for job prospects alone?

Trifles

Bronze

Post by Trifles » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:38 pm

Its annoying that the status checker is down, but no one has heard anything in so long that it seems useless for us to check anyways. I don't understand why they couldn't have just waitlisted us if they knew they were going to wait until after seat deposits to let anyone else in.

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:41 pm

Trifles wrote:Its annoying that the status checker is down, but no one has heard anything in so long that it seems useless for us to check anyways. I don't understand why they couldn't have just waitlisted us if they knew they were going to wait until after seat deposits to let anyone else in.
I got the status checker to work. Nothing new. :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:49 pm

boardride23 wrote:To everyone else still considering USD: are their employment prospects really all that bad relative to other schools? I love the San Diego area and would love to work there, but most of all would love a job. I know the San Diego legal market is tiny, and very competitive (especially considering the T-20 school students that move into the market upon graduation). Am I insane for considering schools like Loyola and Pepperdine over USD for job prospects alone?

When people say that the San Diego legal market is tiny, they're mostly referring to NLJ250 firms. There are a fair number of them (not as few as people would have you believe), but nothing compared to the number of firms that have offices in LA or SF, and their offices are usually smaller. San Diego just doesn't pull as much corporate/national/international work. To be considered for biglaw jobs ITE, you'll probably have to get into the top 10% at either school.

But in terms of other types of law jobs, San Diego is still a pretty large economy and 1/4 lawyers in the city went to USD, and it is the best local school. You don't get that type of representation at Pepperdine or Loyola, and they're not the best school.

Another thing that made me apply to SD and not to Loyola/Pepperdine is that pretty much any part of town in San Diego would be nice to work in, IMO. Whereas LA might have a bigger market to find jobs in, but then you find yourself with a job in Buena Park.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:08 pm

Their status site works for me. Still no update. It doesn't even tell you if someone looked at it. It seems to me that if they want their seat deposits by April 15th, they should have their decisions out before then. I also believe that if they do not even look at an application they should just refund the application fee.

sneakpreview

New

Post by sneakpreview » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:06 pm

Talked to the admissions office on 4/5 (I'm a USD alum), they said they will "try to have most decisions out by mid to late April."

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:12 pm

So, it seams like people think that [(T16-T20)<USD] for SD. ... Why?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:39 pm

Mattalones wrote:So, it seams like people think that [(T16-T20)<USD] for SD. ... Why?

I certainly don't. Specifically USC seems to do better than SD in SD. And I think it is ranked 18?

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:46 pm

quickquestionthanks wrote:
Mattalones wrote:So, it seams like people think that [(T16-T20)<USD] for SD. ... Why?

I certainly don't. Specifically USC seems to do better than SD in SD. And I think it is ranked 18?
Okay ... I mean
So, it seams like people think that, with the exception of USC [(T16-T20)<USD] for SD. ... Why?

CmonSD

Bronze

Post by CmonSD » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:49 pm

Mattalones wrote:
quickquestionthanks wrote:

Okay ... I mean
So, it seams like people think that, with the exception of USC [(T16-T20)<USD] for SD. ... Why?
Where are you getting this idea?

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:52 pm

It's all over threads. Plus people in big SD firms, and people at USD, have said things that make me think that this is the general view. If you have anything to the contrary, I would like to hear it b/c I will not be at USD, UCLA, or USC; rather, I'll be at an east coast T20 with hopes of getting back into SD.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

scolinos

New

Post by scolinos » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:26 pm

Mattalones wrote:It's all over threads. Plus people in big SD firms, and people at USD, have said things that make me think that this is the general view. If you have anything to the contrary, I would like to hear it b/c I will not be at USD, UCLA, or USC; rather, I'll be at an east coast T20 with hopes of getting back into SD.
I think the "official" stat is that 25% of all lawyers employed in SD are USD alums.

Make what you want of it I guess.

1ferret!

Bronze

Post by 1ferret! » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:33 pm

As is the norm with local markets, local schools will have a reasonably good representation even at larger firms because they see a good deal of the quality applicants from the local reputable schools, and if they draw interns and summer associates from the local schools they have a good shot of signing on after graduation. However, if you take a look at the attorney lists of such firms you can see that they still draw heavily from the top schools (not only those from the T14) so if you plan on going east you should still have a good shot at getting in if you perform well in school.

Mattalones

Silver

Post by Mattalones » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:08 pm

1ferret! wrote:As is the norm with local markets, local schools will have a reasonably good representation even at larger firms because they see a good deal of the quality applicants from the local reputable schools, and if they draw interns and summer associates from the local schools they have a good shot of signing on after graduation. However, if you take a look at the attorney lists of such firms you can see that they still draw heavily from the top schools (not only those from the T14) so if you plan on going east you should still have a good shot at getting in if you perform well in school.
A Shimmer of light ! :D

superflush

Silver

Post by superflush » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:58 am

Mattalones wrote:It's all over threads. Plus people in big SD firms, and people at USD, have said things that make me think that this is the general view. If you have anything to the contrary, I would like to hear it b/c I will not be at USD, UCLA, or USC; rather, I'll be at an east coast T20 with hopes of getting back into SD.
People love to say that USD dominates the San Diego legal market (just because it's the highest ranked school actually in SD). I take the stance that T14 and UCLA/USC have the right away in front of USD grads.
*Also, of course people at USD are going to say this.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”