Univ. of Richmond

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
KennyG

Re: Univ. of Richmond

Postby KennyG » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:36 pm

I already paid my deposit and am excited about attending. Does anyone know where I can get a UofR t-shirt? http://www.urspidershop.com doesn't seem to have anything specifically for the law school, and I probably won't have a chance to visit campus before the admitted students day next month.

SeymourShowz

Postby SeymourShowz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:36 am

They have them at the brick and mortar bookstore.. a friend in Richmond bought me one last fall when I was accepted.

Marissa7654321

Postby Marissa7654321 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:39 am

oberlin08 wrote:I would be willing to bet, that they let people off the WL one by one, and wait to see what each person says before moving to the next...

Can someone please tell me I'm wrong? Because I don't want to believe that

Dean Raham told me that they take 1-2 at a time from now until July. Come July they start taking people in groups. HTH

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:00 am

Marissa7654321 wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:I would be willing to bet, that they let people off the WL one by one, and wait to see what each person says before moving to the next...

Dean Raham told me that they take 1-2 at a time from now until July. Come July they start taking people in groups. HTH

my question is:

how much time elapses between the 1-2 at a time?

dibs

Postby dibs » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:03 am

oberlin08 wrote:
Marissa7654321 wrote:

my question is:

that's probably variable with when the withdrawls are processed. how many of you on the PWL/WL are headed to campus on May 21st?

brandolphsmith

Postby brandolphsmith » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:12 am

dibs wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:
Marissa7654321 wrote:

my question is:

that's probably variable with when the withdrawls are processed. how many of you on the PWL/WL are headed to campus on May 21st?

On the PWL, do you think that it is worth heading down even if one has not been accepted? And what is the 5/21 event? Being on the PWL and showing up for an accepted students event might not come off as well planned.

dibs

Postby dibs » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:14 am

ah i guess that's true. it's called "deposited student's day" for a reason, i suppose. i think, though, you should plan to head there anyways on another day. there's the likelihood you'll be pulled off the PWL a few weeks before classes start. would want to have a foundation of the school and city before then.

but that's presupposing you haven't already visisted.

on another note, i'm jealous of all those who have committed to richmond already and are looking for roomies. when accepted you're provided a link to a messageboard with all the housing postings. i feel left out. :D

chruck

Postby chruck » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:37 pm

anyone else get there loan acceptance and have 4 weeks to turn it in? Mine is due soon and if I turn it in does that mean I am commited to those loans from richmond or can I still withdraw?

brandolphsmith

Postby brandolphsmith » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:32 pm

Keeping a keen eye LSN, saw someone go WL -> Accepted. On the PWL still, anyone heard anything?

oberlin08

Postby oberlin08 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:35 pm

brandolphsmith wrote:saw someone go WL -> Accepted.

Where do you see this? I saw someone withdrew today.. but the only WL --> Accepted apparently is someone who is assuming they'll get in bc theyre on the PWL

dibs

Postby dibs » Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:42 pm

gross. i just paid $1,100 for my return flight to richmond + 2 nights hotel for may 21st deposited student's day.

-_-

AirenAdamonis

Postby AirenAdamonis » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:06 pm

brandolphsmith wrote:Keeping a keen eye LSN, saw someone go WL -> Accepted. On the PWL still, anyone heard anything?

This person made this update like 2 weeks ago before the April 15th deposits were even due...not sure how that happened. I'm on the PWL and still haven't gotten any response other than they are currently in a holding pattern. :cry:

apper123

Postby apper123 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:08 pm

As always I'm available for you guys if you have any questions. Feel free to post them publicly or PM me. If you have PM'd me in the past and not gotten a response, I probably forgot and am not ignoring you. Send me a reminder, please! I won't be offended.

For those who don't know, I'm a 1L (and the only active one on TLS as far as I can tell) at UR.

jjinva

Postby jjinva » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:07 am

Hi apper123:

What can you tell us about diversity down there? I have always enjoyed Richmond as a city - for being in the middle of the Commonwealth and being the seat of the radical VA government, it has actually always been charming to me. Its reminds me of other southern cities....tolerant of everyone...almost reveres eccentricity.

Do you find that the law school is open and diverse? Would anyone feel comfortable there? You can be honest...I know that law schools in general can be stuffy and very "boys club." I know U of R undergrad, compared to something like VCU, can be very conservative. Do you know anyone thats moved from DC to Richmond and felt that they fit in and weren't suffocating?

I guess, since this is a free internet and you don't represent the school officially, and its anonymous, can you give me your real opinion - to give an extreme example here - would a black gay handicapped person feel welcome at Richmond as much as they might at say AU or GW?

Thanks!

apper123

Postby apper123 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:38 am

jjinva wrote:Hi apper123:

What can you tell us about diversity down there? I have always enjoyed Richmond as a city - for being in the middle of the Commonwealth and being the seat of the radical VA government, it has actually always been charming to me. Its reminds me of other southern cities....tolerant of everyone...almost reveres eccentricity.

Do you find that the law school is open and diverse? Would anyone feel comfortable there? You can be honest...I know that law schools in general can be stuffy and very "boys club." I know U of R undergrad, compared to something like VCU, can be very conservative. Do you know anyone thats moved from DC to Richmond and felt that they fit in and weren't suffocating?

I guess, since this is a free internet and you don't represent the school officially, and its anonymous, can you give me your real opinion - to give an extreme example here - would a black gay handicapped person feel welcome at Richmond as much as they might at say AU or GW?

Thanks!

Wow loaded question! A good question though, and one that is hard to answer. And I do not think I am as anonymous as I'd like to be, to be honest, but I'll be as candid as I feel I can be.

I did not go to an undergrad that was very diverse at all, so maybe my perspective is skewed, but I do think UR is diverse. I don't know the exact stats, but there are a lot of students of different racial, religious and cultural backgrounds at the school.

Is there a southern prominence in the student body? Sure, but it's really not noticeable, and there truly are students from all around the globe.

I'm friends with people from all different kinds of racial backgrounds, and they seem very comfortable at UR and fit in quite well. It has never even crossed my mind that there could be an issue of racism or discrimination at the school. The student community is welcoming and friendly as a general rule. I would like to think, and do believe, that handicapped, homosexual or racially diverse people would all fit in quite well here with no problems, to answer your mini-hypothetical.

As for the area itself, outside the school, I'm really not qualified to answer your question. I don't get out much as a 1L, heh, and I'm not too familiar with the area culture. I do know the city itself is very diverse, and the area around UR does not seem to be so diverse. As for issues of racism or discrimination? I dunno. I've never seen it.

Of course, I may not be the best person to ask about something like this. I'm a white male, so I may not be as well attuned to these issues as others. However, from my perspective, I sense no discrimination or issues any diverse students would have here. It would bother me greatly if that existed, and I'm very happy to say it's not an issue here to the best of my knowledge.

As for politics, that's never been an issue. I'm extremely conservative (although I am from the north), and I'm close friends with extremely liberal people. I cannot recall a single incident of any flare ups over politics and it is barely, if EVER, brought into the classroom. I honestly can't think of a single circumstance.

In undergrad, politics were (inappropriately) brought into the classroom all the time. The only time I see them here is when it serves an academic purpose, and it is always presented objectively.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:51 am

I can speak to the "area" but not the school as much. The area is very good for all kinds of diversity, especially the VCU (another university in Richmond) area. VCU is an arts school (in addition to other good programs. . .) and as such has tons of people from all walks of life racially/religiously/socioeconomically, etc. . .It is a pretty diverse city and county area where you can find a niche for virtually any type of lifestyle. . .anything from stockcar racing and kickboxing to the bar scene in the bottom and VCU district to the VA Museum of Fine Arts. . .

ocana1

Postby ocana1 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:23 pm

Any movement on the wait list? I received notice on 23 March that I was on the PWL, but have yet to hear back.

jjinva

Postby jjinva » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:33 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am familiar with Richmond, the city. Its like an oasis in an otherwise very conservative state. I was wondering is the campus itself more conservative I guess. It seems like people on campus try to be inclusive and respectful. That is obviously a very good thing.

Thanks again.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:41 pm

Oh :( sorry. U of R is considered the most conservative of the universities here in Richmond, however, they tend to be respectful of everyone. I only know a few law grads(2), but TONS of undergrads and people who've graduated from the school itself. . . .all of both were pretty conservative (also read affluent) but fairly non-judgemental.

dibs

Postby dibs » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:52 pm

hmmm, i haven't considered the weather in richmond yet. i wonder how much of an issue it's going to be.

for instance, this week we had about 30cm (1 foot) of snowfall and it hovered around 0degrees celcius (32 farenheit). i'm having a hard time understanding what the admissions office means by "very warm" when they say to dress accordingly for deposited student's day. my perception of warmth is "not snowing".

heh.
Last edited by dibs on Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

apper123

Postby apper123 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:59 pm

it's 85 degrees and sunny atm

dibs

Postby dibs » Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:10 pm

apper123 wrote:it's 85 degrees and sunny atm

what's the humidity like?

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:31 pm

Humidity is not bad today, but is supposed to get worse this weekend and by June it will be VERY BAD humidity.

dibs

Postby dibs » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:53 pm

well doesn't that sound lovely...

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Sat May 01, 2010 1:34 pm

lol, it is still a really great place to live.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”