Univ. of Richmond Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
d-cannon

New

Re: Univ. of Richmond

Post by d-cannon » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:48 pm

Hi All,

Good luck at UofR. It is a great school in a great town. I lived there for several years.

I am withdrawing today with a $30K scholarship. I hope it goes to one of you!

dibs

Bronze

Post by dibs » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:51 pm

d-cannon wrote:Hi All,

Good luck at UofR. It is a great school in a great town. I lived there for several years.

i'm frustrated by your scholarship. we have almost identical stats, including significant work experience and a great gpa addendum; however, i got $5,000/year.

bizarre.

d-cannon

New

Post by d-cannon » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:29 pm

dibs wrote: i'm frustrated by your scholarship. we have almost identical stats, including significant work experience and a great gpa addendum; however, i got $5,000/year.

bizarre.
Don't be frustrated. We have not seen each other's applications. My PS, DS, and softs are pretty decent. It also may not seem like much (it shouldn't be), but 2 points on the LSAT is a big deal to many adcomms. I also have friends who have graduated from Richmond Law and are partners in mid-size firms. I was definitely name-dropping when I visited. Finally, they were trying to lure me away from UGA, UNC, and Wake.

jackson1

New

Post by jackson1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:46 pm

I also heard that there were only 20 people on the PWL and 150 people on the regular wait list... The lady I talked to was very "sketchy" about giving me any specifics on numbers. I asked where I ranked, and she told me that they re-evaluate everyone on the WL to see who they will accept... I highly doubt they will reevaluate 150 files each time 1 spot opens up. I think it's ridiculous that they refuse to tell applicants where they stand on their WL.

APHill

Bronze

Post by APHill » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:27 am

oh man, UofR dropped 11 spots in the rankings...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dibs

Bronze

Post by dibs » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:56 am

d-cannon wrote:
dibs wrote: i'm frustrated by your scholarship. we have almost identical stats, including significant work experience and a great gpa addendum; however, i got $5,000/year.

bizarre.
Don't be frustrated. We have not seen each other's applications. My PS, DS, and softs are pretty decent. It also may not seem like much (it shouldn't be), but 2 points on the LSAT is a big deal to many adcomms. I also have friends who have graduated from Richmond Law and are partners in mid-size firms. I was definitely name-dropping when I visited. Finally, they were trying to lure me away from UGA, UNC, and Wake.
that makes more sense.

dibs

Bronze

Post by dibs » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:57 am

APHill wrote:oh man, UofR dropped 11 spots in the rankings...
holy f*** me. hofstra jumps 16 spots and UofR drops 11. i just withdrew hofstra with a $20k/year scholarship in favour of UofR.

i hope to hell i get in to UNLV now and AT LEAST 1 canadian school.

Xanadu

New

Post by Xanadu » Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:13 am

jackson1 wrote:I also heard that there were only 20 people on the PWL and 150 people on the regular wait list... The lady I talked to was very "sketchy" about giving me any specifics on numbers. I asked where I ranked, and she told me that they re-evaluate everyone on the WL to see who they will accept... I highly doubt they will reevaluate 150 files each time 1 spot opens up. I think it's ridiculous that they refuse to tell applicants where they stand on their WL.
+1

When I went to visit, I asked the admissions rep what the deal was with the PWL (on my letter, there had been a P.S. that said something like "get your financial matters in order, you will probably be accepted in mid-april"). I asked her how many people were on the PWL and the rep said "Well, the thing about that question is that it means you just want to know what your chances are". It was so snooty...Obviously I want to know what my chances are! That was the last of several negative experiences during my tour of Richmond. I was so unimpressed with the tour guide, who was sloppily dressed, totally inarticulate and said "Uuummm" every 5 minutes, and her tour lasted for two hours. It was really bad...

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:22 am

dibs wrote:
holy f*** me. hofstra jumps 16 spots and UofR drops 11. i just withdrew hofstra with a $20k/year scholarship in favour of UofR.

Honestly this should be immaterial in your decision. Before you would go to Hofstra if you wanted to practice in NE/Long Island/NY. Before you would go to UR if you wanted to practice in the south or, more specifically, VA/Richmond/NOVA/DC.

A drop of 10ish spots in the rankings once you are outside the T50 is like... whatever. Unless it throws you into the TTT, and UR won't be dropping into the TTT.

My roommate and I were talking about this on our way to school today, and both of us were offered full tuition by Hofstra. We weren't too bothered by it. No one wanted to be in Hempstead.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mailmanstalker

New

Post by mailmanstalker » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:09 am

d-cannon wrote:Hi All,

Last edited by mailmanstalker on Mon May 10, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:10 am

apper123 wrote:
dibs wrote:

Honestly this should be immaterial in your decision. Before you would go to Hofstra if you wanted to practice in NE/Long Island/NY. Before you would go to UR if you wanted to practice in the south or, more specifically, VA/Richmond/NOVA/DC.

A drop of 10ish spots in the rankings once you are outside the T50 is like... whatever. Unless it throws you into the TTT, and UR won't be dropping into the TTT.

My roommate and I were talking about this on our way to school today, and both of us were offered full tuition by Hofstra. We weren't too bothered by it. No one wanted to be in Hempstead.

+11111111

It depends where you want to work! Personally, im not a fan of ever living in Vegas, but to each his or her own

dibs

Bronze

Post by dibs » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:11 pm

apper123 wrote:
dibs wrote:

good post. this is actually my perspective and the reason why i'm not freaking out. my comment was reactionary and seeking to assuage my neuroses.

i don't want to live in hempstead or have anything to do with long island. the proximity of richmond to dc, which is a tech sector hotbed, and everything else about the school makes me sure i want to go there. <3 their IP program.

as for UNLV, they are the only game in town and are starting to show consistency to their quality. vegas is another hotspot for tech sector, especially gaming. those are my main interests; IP and Tech M&A.

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:14 pm

CAn anyone on here who is a current student speak to the IP program? What it's like?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dibs

Bronze

Post by dibs » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:24 pm

has any other accepted people received 50+ letters from Richmond? i get one per day.

speaking to that, one of the letters was specifically addressed from a professor in the IP program. somehow he knew that i was interested in it... no idea how that happened. anyways, i'm thinking of emailing him with some questions.

anything you'd like me to add Bombay?

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:29 pm

dibs wrote:has any other accepted people received 50+ letters from Richmond? i get one per day.

speaking to that, one of the letters was specifically addressed from a professor in the IP program. somehow he knew that i was interested in it... no idea how that happened. anyways, i'm thinking of emailing him with some questions.

I've gotten a lot of postcards and such.

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:57 pm

No Ive gotten those too. Just wondering if anyone in the program already, as a current student had input

dibs

Bronze

Post by dibs » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:24 pm

oberlin08 wrote:
dibs wrote:has any other accepted people received 50+ letters from Richmond? i get one per day.

UoR's marketing campaign is seriously good.

So far, I've received: Acceptance Letter, Scholarship Letter, Summer Program Letter, Letter from the Dean, Letter from IP Professor, Letter from the President, Letter from an Alumni, and I've been contacted by a student who I keep an open dialogue with over email. Also given access to an intranet housing message board.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:26 pm

dibs wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:

So far, I've received: Acceptance Letter, Scholarship Letter, Summer Program Letter, Letter from the Dean, Letter from IP Professor, Letter from the President, Letter from an Alumni, and I've been contacted by a student who I keep an open dialogue with over email. Also given access to an intranet housing message board.
My student never got back to me. Though admittadly I was very late in getting in touch

dibs

Bronze

Post by dibs » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:39 pm

GordonBombay wrote:
dibs wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:

My student never got back to me. Though admittadly I was very late in getting in touch
Really? Weird. It is exam time, I guess. You should try again or email Dean Rahman about obtaining another representative. The insight they provide is great.

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:04 pm

GordonBombay wrote:
dibs wrote:
oberlin08 wrote:

What questions do you have? Feel free to PM me or post them here.

GordonBombay

Bronze

Post by GordonBombay » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:22 pm

Just sent a PM thanks a lot

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

apper123

Silver

Post by apper123 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:41 pm

GordonBombay wrote:CAn anyone on here who is a current student speak to the IP program? What it's like?
I can answer this question generally. I don't know much about the program itself, but I do know the clinic works with real-world applications of skills and the IP department here is very good. I am currently taking principles of IP course and enjoying it very much.

jackson1

New

Post by jackson1 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:23 pm

So I guess tomorrow the list should start moving... I'm nervous

yoyo999

New

Post by yoyo999 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:58 pm

Withdrew today with $15K/year. Good luck to everyone waiting!

oberlin08

Bronze

Post by oberlin08 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:28 am

jackson1 wrote:So I guess tomorrow the list should start moving... I'm nervous

Really? I thought they would count the people who say yes by the end of the day, and start with the WL tmrw at the earliest?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”