Univ. of Richmond Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
UTaylor526

Bronze

Univ. of Richmond

Post by UTaylor526 » Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:48 pm

Got the call yesterday. In at Richmond. I really like the phone call method for acceptances.

The only thing is I was too scared to ask about money. Anyone know their scholarship trends?

SeymourShowz

Bronze

Re: Univ. of Richmond

Post by SeymourShowz » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:44 pm

I'm sending in my app tomorrow.. how long did it take to hear back?

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:02 pm

I can't remember exactly when I applied, but it was within a week of when the application became available and I heard back Thursday night.

So that long. Good luck!

txnatheart

New

Post by txnatheart » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:33 pm

Hey I'm in too! I got the call less than a month after I applied, 10/02. Good luck to those waiting!
I was too excited to even think about asking about fin aid/scholarships...although the Dean did recommend that I apply for the John Marshall Program. When I received my acceptance via snail mail it mentioned the program and said that all qualified students would be send an app but the app wasn't included.
Any info in regards to the John Marshall program or fin aid/scholarships at Richmond in general?

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:39 pm

txnatheart wrote:Hey I'm in too! I got the call less than a month after I applied, 10/02. Good luck to those waiting!
I was too excited to even think about asking about fin aid/scholarships...although the Dean did recommend that I apply for the John Marshall Program. When I received my acceptance via snail mail it mentioned the program and said that all qualified students would be send an app but the app wasn't included.
Any info in regards to the John Marshall program or fin aid/scholarships at Richmond in general?
I would love to know the same. I got the feeling she suggested the scholarship to everyone. From their website, it looks like more information will be coming in the Spring.

Good luck to all of those still waiting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SeymourShowz

Bronze

Post by SeymourShowz » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:54 pm

quick question... did you guys ever get an e-mail from Richmond saying your application was complete?

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:03 pm

Sounds like we all got the same information regarding the scholarships and financial aid. FWIW I don't remember getting a "complete" e-mail althought Richmond was the first school to give me a decision.

SeymourShowz

Bronze

Post by SeymourShowz » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:51 am

got the call tonight.. applied early decision. see yall next year!

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:56 pm

Went complete on 11/18. Hopefully, I will hear something by Christmas. Congrats to everyone already in.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

txnatheart

New

Post by txnatheart » Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:53 pm

I didn't get an email saying my app was complete; just the call telling me I was accepted. However, I did call them to make sure they had received everything; if you're worried I'd suggest calling them.

Unadilla Kayaker

Bronze

Post by Unadilla Kayaker » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:56 am

I can't speak to the law school specifically, but I did my UG at Richmond and everyone who works there is nice (EVERYONE). I can't imagine they would be upset with you for calling and asking about your file, unless it was a busy day and they were flustered. The school is small and I did take a class or two in the law school, and I didn't think it was any less friendly than the rest of the school.

I'd wait until Monday (since the office is likely closed on Friday or people will take a vacation day), but then no harm in calling IMO.

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:33 am

I was accepted prior to Thanksgiving via phone call (she said written confirmation would come later). No mention of financial aid, but she was great to talk to. I did my undergraduate at Richmond, so if anyone has any questions about the school or area feel free to message me.

It's not rated as highly as some of the schools I'm applying to, but there are several variables that have put it as one of my top choices.

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:37 am

ec2xs wrote:I was accepted prior to Thanksgiving via phone call (she said written confirmation would come later). No mention of financial aid, but she was great to talk to. I did my undergraduate at Richmond, so if anyone has any questions about the school or area feel free to message me.

It's not rated as highly as some of the schools I'm applying to, but there are several variables that have put it as one of my top choices.
Such as? Just curious, not dissing the school. I really enjoyed talking with the Dean both on the phone and when she came to our law fair a couple of weeks before. However, it is the lowest ranked school that I applied to and I have a full ride offer from a higher ranked school (though not in Virginia)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SeymourShowz

Bronze

Post by SeymourShowz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:49 am

I think the big one is location. Where do you want to practice? For instance, George Mason is ranked much higher than Richmond. But I want to practice in Newport News / Hampton or maybe Norfolk. If you look at the websites of all the firms in Hampton Roads, there are far more lawyers that went to Richmond than George Mason. And maybe it's just because my father went to Richmond, but it still seems like Richmond has a better reputation down here than George Mason, regardless of the U.S. News rankings. People still seem to think Mason is a bullshit school, notwithstanding the huge improvements it's made over the past decade or so. William and Mary would be a different matter, but unfortunately I just didn't have the GPA to pull that off.

ec2xs

Bronze

Post by ec2xs » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:34 pm

UTaylor526 wrote:
ec2xs wrote:I was accepted prior to Thanksgiving via phone call (she said written confirmation would come later). No mention of financial aid, but she was great to talk to. I did my undergraduate at Richmond, so if anyone has any questions about the school or area feel free to message me.

Such as? Just curious, not dissing the school. I really enjoyed talking with the Dean both on the phone and when she came to our law fair a couple of weeks before. However, it is the lowest ranked school that I applied to and I have a full ride offer from a higher ranked school (though not in Virginia)
As Seymour mentioned, location. It helps being in the capital, depending on what you want to do. More specifically, it's a very intimate school and arguably the prettiest campus you'll ever see in your life. It has a lot of cash and spends it wisely, constantly doing renovations and updating buildings. Every professor I had during my undergrad there was both warm and receptive to meeting out of class. Socially, Richmond is an amazing place to live with plenty to do.

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:40 pm

Richmond has more courts than any city save DC. This corroborates Dean Rahman's statement that they put over 25% of their students into judicial clerkships.

SeymourShowz

Bronze

Post by SeymourShowz » Tue Dec 01, 2009 4:05 pm

ec2xs wrote:It has a lot of cash and spends it wisely
hopefully on my scholarship

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:17 pm

SeymourShowz wrote:
ec2xs wrote:It has a lot of cash and spends it wisely
hopefully on my scholarship
+1. Thanks for the other responses.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:35 pm

SeymourShowz wrote:got the call tonight.. applied early decision. see yall next year!

Congrats!

crysmissmichelle

Bronze

Post by crysmissmichelle » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:46 pm

SeymourShowz wrote:quick question... did you guys ever get an e-mail from Richmond saying your application was complete?
I got an email from Richmond saying it was received, and it went complete on LSAC. They write very friendly emails and respond quickly if you send them questions. I'm probably going to try to plan a visit soon.

NYVA311

Bronze

Post by NYVA311 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 8:53 pm

Congrats to everyone who's been accepted! They're my top choice but I'm a very borderline candidate so I've been getting a bit nervous. Applied in late October, got the email saying they received my app, now just waiting for a phone call....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:41 pm

NYVA311 wrote:Congrats to everyone who's been accepted! They're my top choice but I'm a very borderline candidate so I've been getting a bit nervous. Applied in late October, got the email saying they received my app, now just waiting for a phone call....
Good luck!

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 12:15 am

Do they wait on your Dean's certificates to make a decision?

SeymourShowz

Bronze

Post by SeymourShowz » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:57 pm

Can anyone tell me anything about the competition for being selected as a John Marshall scholar? I assume I'll have to write some kind of essay.. Does anyone know what past topics were?

I received my admission packet today. It said little more than that I'll be sent more information concerning the competition and that selection means an additional $10,000 per year..

UTaylor526

Bronze

Post by UTaylor526 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:48 pm

SeymourShowz wrote:Can anyone tell me anything about the competition for being selected as a John Marshall scholar? I assume I'll have to write some kind of essay.. Does anyone know what past topics were?

I received my admission packet today. It said little more than that I'll be sent more information concerning the competition and that selection means an additional $10,000 per year..
I'd like to know as well. Surely in all of the TLS board there is a Richmond 1L somewhere!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”