Cardozo 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hannah87

Re: Cardozo 2010

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:12 am

sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:i looked for you too!!! i was hoping you'd be in my "breakout group" but i guess you left before that part. and yeah, i wanted to KILL the gunner. i also hope it's not one of you guys!

Did you run into any weird incoming students (if any of these are any of you, don't kill me)? I had a few... some girl from LA (not Sarah! Sarah rocked), some girl from Albuquerque who brought her bf (dressed like a rapper) and was wearing jeans a t shirt showing her midriff and didn't smile/talk at all... and a girl who was really nice but brought her mom and was still in undergrad and doing May start... going straight from one program to the other (that was the part I thought was weird... especially since you can't get any schollies that way). Also met some kid Alex, who was cool but ditched Sarah and I before class. And some kid Chaim, who was nice and very jewy (very! jewy... used the cant of speaking and everything) and got a bad LSAT score because his wife was in labor during the exam.... he didn't even write an addendum for it!

HAHAHA, no none of those were me. I met the Albuquerque kids- they were at my lunch table. They were nice! And i met LawyerGirl:) and Kaydish. I saw this guy from my yeshiva high school who i kinda dated senior year (he's a 1L) and a few other random people I recognized from my high school and from my undergrad. Some people did seem weird, but a lot of people were dressed really well! :wink:

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:17 am

hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:i looked for you too!!! i was hoping you'd be in my "breakout group" but i guess you left before that part. and yeah, i wanted to KILL the gunner. i also hope it's not one of you guys!

Did you run into any weird incoming students (if any of these are any of you, don't kill me)? I had a few... some girl from LA (not Sarah! Sarah rocked), some girl from Albuquerque who brought her bf (dressed like a rapper) and was wearing jeans a t shirt showing her midriff and didn't smile/talk at all... and a girl who was really nice but brought her mom and was still in undergrad and doing May start... going straight from one program to the other (that was the part I thought was weird... especially since you can't get any schollies that way). Also met some kid Alex, who was cool but ditched Sarah and I before class. And some kid Chaim, who was nice and very jewy (very! jewy... used the cant of speaking and everything) and got a bad LSAT score because his wife was in labor during the exam.... he didn't even write an addendum for it!

HAHAHA, no none of those were me. I met the Albuquerque kids- they were at my lunch table. They were nice! And i met LawyerGirl:) and Kaydish. I saw this guy from my yeshiva high school who i kinda dated senior year (he's a 1L) and a few other random people I recognized from my high school and from my undergrad. Some people did seem weird, but a lot of people were dressed really well! :wink:

yeah almost everyone was dressed excellently! and current students were pretty informally dressed, which was good... since I like jeans. I'd probably have had a better chance of meeting people if I knew their real names, lol.... I saw a lot of people on the street that I recognized from undergrad!
this guy who's in med school now and this girl who's living at home I think and working now. plan to send them messages saying so, but wasn't POSITIVE it was them (it's been a few years)

nol607

Postby nol607 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:34 am

I enjoyed the visit but had somewhat mixed feelings about the students...kinda nerdy? Definitely not the work-hard/play-hard feel i was hoping for. Like Sibley said I can't really imagine myself getting into the Cardozo scene (if there is one, our small group leader was dismissive of the idea--she also found it hysterical that she had no job prospects...great group leader) or making tons of friends there. Is that just to be expected at any good law school? I guess its still my top school & I'm really impressed by the quality of education, but I am really ambivalent about the student body.

That gunner was ridiculous. As is the whole idea of gunning on an accepted students day.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:45 am

nol607 wrote:I enjoyed the visit but had somewhat mixed feelings about the students...kinda nerdy? Definitely not the work-hard/play-hard feel i was hoping for. Like Sibley said I can't really imagine myself getting into the Cardozo scene (if there is one, our small group leader was dismissive of the idea--she also found it hysterical that she had no job prospects...great group leader) or making tons of friends there. Is that just to be expected at any good law school? I guess its still my top school & I'm really impressed by the quality of education, but I am really ambivalent about the student body.

That gunner was ridiculous. As is the whole idea of gunning on an accepted students day.

Lol. I actually emailed that professor a question this morning (he responded promptly! and with a case for me to look up) because I had a question about how the statute effects newspapers and Craigslist, etc. The whole reason I didn't ask yesterday was it'd steer the class off topic and we weren't there to... you know, 'gun' slash really get a full depth of knowledge of the topic but rather to get an idea of what a class could be like.

I don't really feel like there would be a 'scene' at any law school... my group leader was talking about all the clubs and stuff but everything is obviously very law related... and she mentioned there are often events on thursday nights, like the 'law revue' but... I dunno, I'd like to make friends and all that but.. I'm not really looking for an undergrad experience again. I did see several small groups of students studying together, playing chess, etc. It doesn't seem unfriendly. Just not collegiate.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:23 am

Anyone else get food poisoning? I was really sick last night and blamed it on the gross chicken or the sushi at the reception. Sorry, TMI.

I was extremely impressed with the faculty and administrators. I spoke to several professors at the reception who just wandered up to me and started chatting. I did feel the "new" energy they kept stressing and their financial support to just about everything shows that they are committed to making the school an innovative and successful institution. The clinical offerings were very impressive and students seemed to indicate that anyone who wanted a particular clinic eventually got it. The professors definitely seemed excited to be there and happy to be part of the "up and coming" community, which really is rare in academia. HOWEVER, I was not impressed with the students or a lot of the other admits. They seemed like a bright enough group, but several of the students were joking that they didn't really study or try in undergrad and were kind of schlubby. I hate to be such a snob, but I perform better and enjoy myself more when I'm surrounded by interesting, sharp, motivated peers. This isn't to say that Cardozo students aren't smart and driven, I just didn't meet anyone who "wowed" me.

I saw a few people I knew from various things and recognized names on the bulletin boards from high school. I went to a big "vertical" manhattan high school and it seemed a little too close to home.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:25 am

chutzpah wrote:Anyone else get food poisoning? I was really sick last night and blamed it on the gross chicken or the sushi at the reception. Sorry, TMI.

I was extremely impressed with the faculty and administrators. I spoke to several professors at the reception who just wandered up to me and started chatting. I did feel the "new" energy they kept stressing and their financial support to just about everything shows that they are committed to making the school an innovative and successful institution. The clinical offerings were very impressive and students seemed to indicate that anyone who wanted a particular clinic eventually got it. The professors definitely seemed excited to be there and happy to be part of the "up and coming" community, which really is rare in academia. HOWEVER, I was not impressed with the students or a lot of the other admits. They seemed like a bright enough group, but several of the students were joking that they didn't really study or try in undergrad and were kind of schlubby. I hate to be such a snob, but I perform better and enjoy myself more when I'm surrounded by interesting, sharp, motivated peers. This isn't to say that Cardozo students aren't smart and driven, I just didn't meet anyone who "wowed" me.

I saw a few people I knew from various things and recognized names on the bulletin boards from high school. I went to a big "vertical" manhattan high school and it seemed a little too close to home.

no food poisoning here. I felt like I'd fit in more with the fordham kids than the cardozo kids, but... not collegiate.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:27 am

I just tried to post this whole long debreif written on my phone and then had to relog in and it was lost. Cliffnotes version: their OCI was weak but they have strong alumni and networking opportunities and place well into mid and small firms. Big law is attainable for the top 10-15%. Strengths were faculty devotion and accessibility, NY connections, hands on clinical experience and the positive personality of the school as an underdog. Main weakness was USNews ranking and economy. Many more thoughts to come later but I had a very positive conversation with Dean Martinidez as well about the strengths of Cardozo.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:29 am

sibley wrote:
chutzpah wrote:Anyone else get food poisoning? I was really sick last night and blamed it on the gross chicken or the sushi at the reception. Sorry, TMI.

no food poisoning here. I felt like I'd fit in more with the fordham kids than the cardozo kids, but... not collegiate.

i'm not entirely sure what you mean- like house parties and going out in the city on weekends? i just don't think there's as much time/interest in that in law school as in undergrad. a lot of people are older. i did think that people there seemed to have a lot of friends from their classes and had good relationships with professors (the 1Ls i spoke to from my HS, the guy who did my tour, etc.) I don't really know how much more "collegiate" i'd even want it to be. but i do get what chutzpah said about wanting to be around smart/motivated types. it was somewhat lacking at my UG and i'd like to have more of those kinds of people surrounding me in law school. i wish i could go to Fordham's ASD next week, but it's on shabbat (FML).

nol607

Postby nol607 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:35 am

I hope none of you were the girl in my group who thought it necessary to ask questions and then follow them with more stupid questions. As to 'collegial,' I asked the group leader about it and she mustered an answer about the community you feel just from "all being in the same building every day." Couldn't imagine a less confidence inspiring response. That said I probably see myself at Dozo, unless Emory sees it fit to remove me from the waitlist. Worst case scenario: we all attend dozo and use TLS to continue to bash our peers and undermine the "collegial" atmosphere.

As to the book store, it is on the second floor, right by those two big classrooms. Our tour leader had a funny comment about it, "I don't know if some of you come from, like, big state schools, where you can buy tampons with the school mascot on them, but at cardozo the book store sells books. If you want a cardozo t-shirt go search for one online." It was very funny if you were there.

zimbadimp

Postby zimbadimp » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:36 am

Ha ha ha I am the gunnerrrrrrrr!!!! Just kidding, I had to go somewhere during the class, upset I missed that. But the whole day was pretty nice. Inez090 I plan to start in may as well. See ya there.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:37 am

Completely agree on the gunner and loved how the prof politely told her how she was mistaken and she kept trying after. And I would second that there were some weirdos but also some genuinely interesting people. I was surprised by how many people said they had good friends in law school.

nol607

Postby nol607 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:38 am

I feel like I'm being a party pooper, so I will say that I really like how the Dean was open about cardozo following the Yale model. Definitely a plus.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:41 am

hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:

i'm not entirely sure what you mean- like house parties and going out in the city on weekends? i just don't think there's as much time/interest in that in law school as in undergrad. a lot of people are older. i did think that people there seemed to have a lot of friends from their classes and had good relationships with professors (the 1Ls i spoke to from my HS, the guy who did my tour, etc.) I don't really know how much more "collegiate" i'd even want it to be. but i do get what chutzpah said about wanting to be around smart/motivated types. it was somewhat lacking at my UG and i'd like to have more of those kinds of people surrounding me in law school. i wish i could go to Fordham's ASD next week, but it's on shabbat (FML).

could you go stay with the chabad rabbi associated with fordham so you'd be able to walk to campus at the time you're available?

I do want to be around motivated students as well, but... well... they can't be that unmotivated. They're in law school, and it's t100 even if it's not the best. I didn't like that they kept referring to it as a lower ranked school. the atmosphere at my undergrad is that we're rocking, even though there are probably 30 schools ranked better than us.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:47 am

sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:

could you go stay with the chabad rabbi associated with fordham so you'd be able to walk to campus at the time you're available?

I do want to be around motivated students as well, but... well... they can't be that unmotivated. They're in law school, and it's t100 even if it's not the best. I didn't like that they kept referring to it as a lower ranked school. the atmosphere at my undergrad is that we're rocking, even though there are probably 30 schools ranked better than us.

thanks, sibley- but ehh, not so interested in doing that/imposing on the rabbi. i could probably stay with my aunt and uncle on 89th and broadway, but their apartment is teeny. i think i'll just skip it and hear about it from the TLSers :?

about cardozo referring to themselves as "lower-ranked"- i think it's just because most of their prospectives are going for T1 schools, so they are pretty much at the very bottom of that pile.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:51 am

hannah87 wrote:thanks, sibley- but ehh, not so interested in doing that/imposing on the rabbi. i could probably stay with my aunt and uncle on 89th and broadway, but their apartment is teeny. i think i'll just skip it and hear about it from the TLSers :?

about cardozo referring to themselves as "lower-ranked"- i think it's just because most of their prospectives are going for T1 schools, so they are pretty much at the very bottom of that pile.

but hannah you really should go to the admitted students day! it's the best way to get an idea of your future classmates. I'm sure your aunt and uncle wouldn't care if you stayed with them - you'd only have to stay one night anyway, right? could go home after sunset saturday. And it's not like it's mid-week... as for the chabad rabbis, the one here lovesss it when people stay with him. school is like a mile from their house but people still spend the night, just for fun. and if you explained the situation they'd be all for it... they live for keeping jewish kids jewy =)

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:53 am

sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:thanks, sibley- but ehh, not so interested in doing that/imposing on the rabbi. i could probably stay with my aunt and uncle on 89th and broadway, but their apartment is teeny. i think i'll just skip it and hear about it from the TLSers :?

but hannah you really should go to the admitted students day! it's the best way to get an idea of your future classmates. I'm sure your aunt and uncle wouldn't care if you stayed with them - you'd only have to stay one night anyway, right? could go home after sunset saturday. And it's not like it's mid-week... as for the chabad rabbis, the one here lovesss it when people stay with him. school is like a mile from their house but people still spend the night, just for fun. and if you explained the situation they'd be all for it... they live for keeping jewish kids jewy =)

ha, i know. i'm gonna call Fordham today and see what they say about it. i'm pretty surprised it's on a saturday in general. most schools seem to have weekday ASDs or full weekends. i have experience with chabad (most notably in italy) and you never know what you're gonna get. most american chabads i've encountered seem pretty cool though.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:24 am

Wow I'm kind of sad I missed this event, but cardozo hasn't accepted me yet so I guess I didn't belong there anyway :p

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:30 am

goosey wrote:Wow I'm kind of sad I missed this event, but cardozo hasn't accepted me yet so I guess I didn't belong there anyway :p

I went anyway and raised my hand to every question the professor asked and suggested that we used algorithms to solve our problems.

I made so many friends.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:31 am

even2flow wrote:
goosey wrote:Wow I'm kind of sad I missed this event, but cardozo hasn't accepted me yet so I guess I didn't belong there anyway :p

I went anyway and raised my hand to every question the professor asked and suggested that we used algorithms to solve our problems.

I made so many friends.

lol. you're a semi-latina girl?

even2flow

Postby even2flow » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:33 am

Uhhhh

Sometimes?

nol607

Postby nol607 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:34 am

My favorite was the gunner who was trying to show all of us that you can gun and still be funny, by recycling a prior comment and tweaking it, "My suggestion, for any racists who want to be free of legal liability is to change that algorithym to favor one race." Prettty Pretty witty.

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:35 am

nol607 wrote:My favorite was the gunner who was trying to show all of us that you can gun and still be funny, by recycling a prior comment and tweaking it, "My suggestion, for any racists who want to be free of legal liability is to change that algorithym to favor one race." Prettty Pretty witty.

missed that. thought the prof suggested it?

nol607

Postby nol607 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:35 am

Also HATE people who ask questions whose answers can easily be found online: "do you have any classes in public policy"

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:37 am

nol607 wrote:Also HATE people who ask questions whose answers can easily be found online: "do you have any classes in public policy"

that's why I never have any questions. everything can be found online. I AM going to research the immigration clinics and see if you can do them as a 1l. if not, email!

nol607

Postby nol607 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:37 am

sibley wrote:
nol607 wrote:My favorite was the gunner who was trying to show all of us that you can gun and still be funny, by recycling a prior comment and tweaking it, "My suggestion, for any racists who want to be free of legal liability is to change that algorithym to favor one race." Prettty Pretty witty.

missed that. thought the prof suggested it?

Well his question was how do you protect yourself when you're putting up an apartment, she thought it necessary to revive the algorithm

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”