Cardozo 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
um08

Re: Cardozo 2010

Postby um08 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:21 pm

goosey wrote:I spoke to admissions today and was told they're trying to get decisions out next week for ppl that have been complete for 2 or more months.

And yes, it appears as though the fordham thread has spilled over.

I assume that is for part time as well? That's good to hear, as I was beginning to think I wouldn't hear anything until May.. (1/15 Complete)

trey

Postby trey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:29 pm

Do youhave to show up at 10 tomorrow or just 15 minutes before the event you want to go to? I just want to go on the tour at 11. It's okay if I just show up at 1045?

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:36 pm

trey wrote:Do youhave to show up at 10 tomorrow or just 15 minutes before the event you want to go to? I just want to go on the tour at 11. It's okay if I just show up at 1045?

yeah, that's the impression i got from the email. i think i'm going at 11:45.

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:40 am

There haven't been any decisions from Cardozo posted on LSN since 3/5. Has it really been that quiet?

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:25 pm

Wow this thread is quiet today. No live feeds from the ASD?

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:55 pm

carlkenneth wrote:Wow this thread is quiet today. No live feeds from the ASD?

i just got home! it was really great. made my decision that much harder! and i met 2 TLSers...hi guys!

Inez090

Postby Inez090 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:07 pm

it looks like I will start in May. Who is with me?

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:12 pm

hannah87 wrote:

i just got home! it was really great. made my decision that much harder! and i met 2 TLSers...hi guys!

Details please?

kommatas

Postby kommatas » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:14 pm

Just withdrew, hopefully opened a spot.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:27 pm

badpixie wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

Details please?

i didn't go to the optional morning sessions (faculty walk-in hours, public interest discussion, financial aid) so i started with the a tour of the school (but not the Alabama dorm) followed by noon lunch, which was really nice! each table of prospective students had one current student at the table answering questions. after lunch, we went into the Moot Court room, which is large and very impressive (as is the rest of the building) for a panel of professors who talked about their experiences and specialties. then we had a mock Property Law class, where we discussed housing discrimination. it was fantastic- the professor was so enthusiastic and engaging. after the class, we were broken up into smallish groups to have Q and A with current students. my group had 3. they were all really nice and helpful, but they all kind of had similar backgrounds and interests, so the diversity was lacking. i was hoping that someone would be able to answer my BigLaw questions, but they all were doing PI. after that, we had another panel session, but this time with a career services director, a study abroad director, 2 very accomplished 3Ls and an alumnus who works in IP. they spoke about career prospects, OCI, advisement, study abroad, clinics, and the alumni network. Dean Diller moderated the panel and then addressed us before dismissing us for the final event of the day, the gala reception. it was a catered cocktail hour, where many professors, admissions staff, and Dean Diller mingled with us. the whole event was done very tastefully and professionally. everyone i spoke to was enthusiastic, helpful, and smart. i got a fantastic impression of the school, and will be emailing the deans with more specific questions over the next few days.

let me know if you have any questions about the event!

chocho

Postby chocho » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:51 pm

just curious if any of you know the ans to this because im too lazy to research it... , when do we have to tell cardozo what we are doing, our decision

goingoingone

Postby goingoingone » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:57 pm

chocho wrote:just curious if any of you know the ans to this because im too lazy to research it... , when do we have to tell cardozo what we are doing, our decision

April 15th.

FWIW, I was at the admitted students day as well, and I'm not sure what to make of it quite yet. There were several things that impressed me; the breadth of Cardozo's clinical programs and journals was nice, as was their dedication to public interest law (there was A LOT of PI discussion today). The rest of it was good, but nothing to write home about. They said a lot of nice things about the school, but I was a bit disappointed about how few people were able to articulate what made the school better than its peers. You would think in a day that lasted nine hours, they would find the time to do that.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:05 pm

goingoingone wrote:
chocho wrote:just curious if any of you know the ans to this because im too lazy to research it... , when do we have to tell cardozo what we are doing, our decision

April 15th.

FWIW, I was at the admitted students day as well, and I'm not sure what to make of it quite yet. There were several things that impressed me; the breadth of Cardozo's clinical programs and journals was nice, as was their dedication to public interest law (there was A LOT of PI discussion today). The rest of it was good, but nothing to write home about. They said a lot of nice things about the school, but I was a bit disappointed about how few people were able to articulate what made the school better than its peers. You would think in a day that lasted nine hours, they would find the time to do that.

i hear that. i was disappointed that no one had much to say about going into biglaw or what OCI is like or what the outlook for our year looks like. it seemed very PI-focused, as you said. i, too, wanted to hear more about why the school is better than its peers and also didn't get too much insight from the panels. i did get to speak to admissions Dean Martinidez at the reception, though, and gave me a better idea of what makes Cardozo different. he addressed comparisons between the school and schools like Fordham, BU, GW, BC. he also spoke to me specifically about making the decision between Fordham/Cardozo and UVa.

chocho

Postby chocho » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:08 pm

goingoingone wrote:

April 15th.

yeah I feel ya. A part of me got a little upset because I couldnt help but think some of things that were being said would be the same thing I would hear at ANY law school I visit. Overall though its what I expected, it was good not amazing. That chicken was pretty bad though. The location is top notch too. Overall, its my top choice still.

chocho

Postby chocho » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:10 pm

hannah87 wrote:
goingoingone wrote:

April 15th.

i hear that. i was disappointed that no one had much to say about going into biglaw or what OCI is like or what the outlook for our year looks like. it seemed very PI-focused, as you said. i, too, wanted to hear more about why the school is better than its peers and also didn't get too much insight from the panels. i did get to speak to admissions Dean Martinidez at the reception, though, and gave me a better idea of what makes Cardozo different. he addressed comparisons between the school and schools like Fordham, BU, GW, BC. he also spoke to me specifically about making the decision between Fordham/Cardozo and UVa.

do you mind sharing what he said, thats something that would greatly help me out and Im sure others too.

goingoingone

Postby goingoingone » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:15 pm

chocho wrote:
goingoingone wrote:

April 15th.

yeah I feel ya. A part of me got a little upset because I couldnt help but think some of things that were being said would be the same thing I would hear at ANY law school I visit. Overall though its what I expected, it was good not amazing. That chicken was pretty bad though. The location is top notch too. Overall, its my top choice still.

This made me think of a few more things. First of all, I saw the chicken sitting on the plates an hour and a half before lunch time so I decided to take a break and go grab lunch outside. Second, I feel like, while the school didn't try to sell itself as merely a New York school, it has to recognize that being in NYC is one of its best attributes. That said, I moved to New York for undergrad, and now, I'm kind of jaded by the city. It's not a selling point to me at all any more, and that may have been what made Cardozo, for me, like you said, "good not amazing." I haven't been to any other admitted students days yet, so I feel like I can't compare today to anything else, though. I'm still considering Cardozo, but today didn't do much to sway me one way or the other.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:19 pm

chocho wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
goingoingone wrote:

April 15th.

do you mind sharing what he said, thats something that would greatly help me out and Im sure others too.

he said the most common reason people end up choosing cardozo is for the NYC location. other than that, he said that the atmosphere at cardozo is much more collegial and intimate (hehe) than at those other schools. he referred to the school as an "underdog" and spoke more about the youth of the school and how it still has that up-and-coming feel to it. it gets better every year and consistently attracts really impressive professors and administrators from top institutions because they want to be part of something that they can really contribute to and change. he used to work at NYU undergrad and at Columbia Law, and he said the feeling was just never the same- like at their ASDs, hardly any professors showed up, and none would stay to chat with students at the receptions. he made it seem like everyone at cardozo feels like they're on the same team and take great pride in the school. he did tell me to visit charlottesville, though. he was not in any way trying to make an argument that Cardozo is on the same level as a T10/T14 school, but stressed that it moves up in the rankings steadily and that he thinks it will continue to do so. he also mentioned some NYC biglaw firms who have "soft spots" for Cardozo and actively recruit there, which was reassuring to me.

i also like the fact that the school has such a large endowment- they give out scholarships like crazy! the facilities are top-notch, and i assume they can afford to pay the professors pretty well. that can only improve the quality of the education.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:19 pm

goingoingone wrote:
chocho wrote:
goingoingone wrote:

April 15th.

This made me think of a few more things. First of all, I saw the chicken sitting on the plates an hour and a half before lunch time so I decided to take a break and go grab lunch outside. Second, I feel like, while the school didn't try to sell itself as merely a New York school, it has to recognize that being in NYC is one of its best attributes. That said, I moved to New York for undergrad, and now, I'm kind of jaded by the city. It's not a selling point to me at all any more, and that may have been what made Cardozo, for me, like you said, "good not amazing." I haven't been to any other admitted students days yet, so I feel like I can't compare today to anything else, though. I'm still considering Cardozo, but today didn't do much to sway me one way or the other.

i just mentioned this in my previous post, but Dean Martinidez actually specifically said that the location is one of the top selling points. i think it's pretty obvious to most people, anyway.

chocho

Postby chocho » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:27 pm

April 15th.

FWIW, I was at the admitted students day as well, and I'm not sure what to make of it quite yet. There were several things that impressed me; the breadth of Cardozo's clinical programs and journals was nice, as was their dedication to public interest law (there was A LOT of PI discussion today). The rest of it was good, but nothing to write home about. They said a lot of nice things about the school, but I was a bit disappointed about how few people were able to articulate what made the school better than its peers. You would think in a day that lasted nine hours, they would find the time to do that.[/quote]

yeah I feel ya. A part of me got a little upset because I couldnt help but think some of things that were being said would be the same thing I would hear at ANY law school I visit. Overall though its what I expected, it was good not amazing. That chicken was pretty bad though. The location is top notch too. Overall, its my top choice still.[/quote]

This made me think of a few more things. First of all, I saw the chicken sitting on the plates an hour and a half before lunch time so I decided to take a break and go grab lunch outside. Second, I feel like, while the school didn't try to sell itself as merely a New York school, it has to recognize that being in NYC is one of its best attributes. That said, I moved to New York for undergrad, and now, I'm kind of jaded by the city. It's not a selling point to me at all any more, and that may have been what made Cardozo, for me, like you said, "good not amazing." I haven't been to any other admitted students days yet, so I feel like I can't compare today to anything else, though. I'm still considering Cardozo, but today didn't do much to sway me one way or the other.[/quote]

i just mentioned this in my previous post, but Dean Martinidez actually specifically said that the location is one of the top selling points. i think it's pretty obvious to most people, anyway.[/quote]

yeah, I live in NYC and its not that its jaded for me, instead I want to desperately stay here which is one of the main reasons im considering it so heavily, along with the scholarship they gave me. the only thing is, do I really want to go to a school where its major selling point is location, rather than job prospects, reputation, and academic quality (and Im certainly not saying Cardozo has a lack of those qualities by any means).

lawyergirl:)

Postby lawyergirl:) » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:28 pm

hi hannah!!!! nice meeting you today :D

lawyergirl:)

Postby lawyergirl:) » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:32 pm

for people deciding between fordham/cardozo--this may or may not be helpful in balancing scholarship with job prospects. essentially it states the percentage of graduated who are hired from the top law firms. at least, that is what im taking out of it, so fordham you need to be in the top 30ish% and cardozo top 20%

hannah, virginia is 50% you should look into that!

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:06 am

lawyergirl:) wrote:for people deciding between fordham/cardozo--this may or may not be helpful in balancing scholarship with job prospects. essentially it states the percentage of graduated who are hired from the top law firms. at least, that is what im taking out of it, so fordham you need to be in the top 30ish% and cardozo top 20%

hannah, virginia is 50% you should look into that!

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

HI it was so nice meeting you too :D !! gonna check out that site right now...

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:48 am

hannah87 wrote:
chocho wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
goingoingone wrote:April 15th.

he said the most common reason people end up choosing cardozo is for the NYC location. other than that, he said that the atmosphere at cardozo is much more collegial and intimate (hehe) than at those other schools. he referred to the school as an "underdog" and spoke more about the youth of the school and how it still has that up-and-coming feel to it. it gets better every year and consistently attracts really impressive professors and administrators from top institutions because they want to be part of something that they can really contribute to and change. he used to work at NYU undergrad and at Columbia Law, and he said the feeling was just never the same- like at their ASDs, hardly any professors showed up, and none would stay to chat with students at the receptions. he made it seem like everyone at cardozo feels like they're on the same team and take great pride in the school. he did tell me to visit charlottesville, though. he was not in any way trying to make an argument that Cardozo is on the same level as a T10/T14 school, but stressed that it moves up in the rankings steadily and that he thinks it will continue to do so. he also mentioned some NYC biglaw firms who have "soft spots" for Cardozo and actively recruit there, which was reassuring to me.

i also like the fact that the school has such a large endowment- they give out scholarships like crazy! the facilities are top-notch, and i assume they can afford to pay the professors pretty well. that can only improve the quality of the education.

You know, I had a pretty good time and was thoroughly exhausted (skipped everything after the class to go get a milkshake and catch my flight home). I liked that they talked about having more independent options and allowing outside thoughts that didn't fit so well with the school. I DIDNT think it was very collegial and am pretty sure I would only go there for class and such. The upstairs study space wasn't done very well, and the cafe was super tiny. Most of the students seemed my age but a few (like the tour guide) were old. And I would have liked to have seen the bookstore (where is it? up with the rest of Yeshiva?)

I had Liat for a tour guide (anyone else?) but didn't really relate to her and didn't feel like she sold the school at all, nor did my small group 2L (though the 1Ls who joined her did a better job of it). I liked the class and the right-before thingermajig. Met a couple of cool people, including some random TLS lurkers (anyone notice in the Cardozo in the News booklet they have the whole TLS article?). Looked for Hannah (she's the only one I'd have a shot of recognizing!) but didn't make the connection, I think. At the class I was sitting by this girl who beforehand said "this school is crazy" and then spent the entire thing drawing tiny sheep in her notebook and never opening the assignment. I also sat by Sarah, who was in a similar boat to me and we enjoyed making faces at each other while the gunner behind us spoke. You know that gunner? I was right in front of her. "I THINK THERE SHOULD BE AN ALLLLGORITHM." .... "I ALSO THINK THAT THERE SHOULD BE AN ALLLLGORITHM." ...sorry if that's one of you.

Schwarma place right around the corner! definitely a good neighborhood. No idea what I'm doing still though.

Main issue: When I skipped the stuff after the small group I went to see Dean Diller (who was in a meeting... I left him a note.) In the elevator there were some current students discussing what they called "the Cardozo Curve." I'd heard several times earlier that professors are required to keep a 3.18 curve in their classes, which wouldn't be such a big deal except you've gotta keep a 3.3 for most of the scholarships, and I also heard that they hardly ever give our actual bad grades (C-range)... which means that it'll be really hard to get over that solid B mark.
Last edited by sibley on Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:30 am

sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

You know, I had a pretty good time and was thoroughly exhausted (skipped everything after the class to go get a milkshake and catch my flight home). I liked that they talked about having more independent options and allowing outside thoughts that didn't fit so well with the school. I DIDNT think it was very collegial and am pretty sure I would only go there for class and such. The upstairs study space wasn't done very well, and the cafe was super tiny.

I had Liat for a tour guide (anyone else?) but didn't really relate to her and didn't feel like she sold the school at all, nor did my small group 2L (though the 1Ls who joined her did a better job of it). I liked the class and the right-before thingermajig. Met a couple of cool people, including some random TLS lurkers (anyone notice in the Cardozo in the News booklet they have the whole TLS article?). Looked for Hannah (she's the only one I'd have a shot of recognizing!) but didn't make the connection, I think. At the class I was sitting by this girl who beforehand said "this school is crazy" and then spent the entire thing drawing tiny sheep in her notebook and never opening the assignment. I also sat by Sarah, who was in a similar boat to me and we enjoyed making faces at each other while the gunner behind us spoke. You know that gunner? I was right in front of her. "I THINK THERE SHOULD BE AN ALLLLGORITHM." .... "I ALSO THINK THAT THERE SHOULD BE AN ALLLLGORITHM." ...sorry if that's one of you.

Schwarma place right around the corner! definitely a good neighborhood. No idea what I'm doing still though.

Main issue: When I skipped the stuff after the small group I went to see Dean Diller (who was in a meeting... I left him a note.) In the elevator there were some current students discussing what they called "the Cardozo Curve." I'd heard several times earlier that professors are required to keep a 3.18 curve in their classes, which wouldn't be such a big deal except you've gotta keep a 3.3 for most of the scholarships, and I also heard that they hardly ever give our actual bad grades (C-range)... which means that it'll be really hard to get over that solid B mark.

i looked for you too!!! i was hoping you'd be in my "breakout group" but i guess you left before that part. and yeah, i wanted to KILL the gunner. i also hope it's not one of you guys!

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:41 am

hannah87 wrote:i looked for you too!!! i was hoping you'd be in my "breakout group" but i guess you left before that part. and yeah, i wanted to KILL the gunner. i also hope it's not one of you guys!

Did you run into any weird incoming students (if any of these are any of you, don't kill me)? I had a few... some girl from LA (not Sarah! Sarah rocked), some girl from Albuquerque who brought her bf (dressed like a rapper) and was wearing jeans a t shirt showing her midriff and didn't smile/talk at all... and a girl who was really nice but brought her mom and was still in undergrad and doing May start... going straight from one program to the other (that was the part I thought was weird... especially since you can't get any schollies that way). Also met some kid Alex, who was cool but ditched Sarah and I before class. And some kid Chaim, who was nice and very jewy (very! jewy... used the cant of speaking and everything) and got a bad LSAT score because his wife was in labor during the exam.... he didn't even write an addendum for it!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”