Cardozo 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sibley

Re: Cardozo 2010

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:30 pm

badpixie wrote:
sibley wrote:
Mathis wrote:so it seems like he's saying there was no money after the students submitted their deposits, but it looks like he said to someone earlier ^^ (you?) that it might be possible. He's out of the office today so I couldn't get more information.

I haven't contacted anyone at Cardozo. But from his email to you, it seems like he's also saying more $ might become available After April 15th when they realize who is not accepting their scholarship offers.

But what about that? It looks like he's saying there was no more. Or maybe he means that's when the last of the schollies went out. I do not know. Also why is my font tiny[/quote]

IMO it sounds like he is saying that while it is possible that there might be more money available after April 15th, last year all of the available scholarship money was used up by those who accepted by the 4/15 deadline, so there was nothing available after the seat deposits were in. It looks like they make more scholarship offers than they expect to actually have accepted - for example, they may have a target scholarship pool of $1M, but they make offers above that amount, knowing that some percentage of offers will be rejected because the applicant will choose another school. When all of the seat deposits are in on 4/15, if they see that they actually had a smaller percentage accept scholarships than they expected, and they have some of that original pool left, then they would have some available for negotiations. But he seems to be telling you that there wasn't anything left in the pool after the 4/15 deposits last year, so you don't get your hopes us.[/quote]

yeah, but he told someone else to send in their competing offers...

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:45 pm

sibley wrote:

Could have something to do with the other applicants stats, or something else in their app. Or it could be that you scholly is the max they can do for you right now compared to others in the pool, given the offers that are out, and the dean doesn't need to see competing offers to know whether you should be offered more if tit becomes available later. If the other poster applied later and was offered a smaller scholly (since there wasn't much money left), the dean may want to see what his other offers are, to see if he should be considered for additional funds if they become available.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:47 pm

badpixie wrote:
sibley wrote:

Could have something to do with the other applicants stats, or something else in their app. Or it could be that you scholly is the max they can do for you right now compared to others in the pool, given the offers that are out, and the dean doesn't need to see competing offers to know whether you should be offered more if tit becomes available later. If the other poster applied later and was offered a smaller scholly (since there wasn't much money left), the dean may want to see what his other offers are, to see if he should be considered for additional funds if they become available.

Well people with lower stats than me and nothing special standing out in their apps were offered more than me, assumably bc they applied earlier. I'm fine with 30k, but only if they give me needs based grants too. I am very, very poor and the COL in NYC is very, very high.

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:53 pm

Applying early means everything for money at cardozo, I had really low numbers, reverse splitter great softs tho, and I got full ride with no GPA req. I think it also matters what "mold" you fit. They have a lot of scholarship from donors that have a very specific criteria, I just happened to meet the criteria for that particular scholarship, and many other people didnt (at least at the time) so they gave it to me. :) I'm considering withdrawing, while i love cardozo, I want to leave NYC, so some $$$$ will be free soon for one of you.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:57 pm

cr073137 wrote:Applying early means everything for money at cardozo, I had really low numbers, reverse splitter great softs tho, and I got full ride with no GPA req. I think it also matters what "mold" you fit. They have a lot of scholarship from donors that have a very specific criteria, I just happened to meet the criteria for that particular scholarship, and many other people didnt (at least at the time) so they gave it to me. :) I'm considering withdrawing, while i love cardozo, I want to leave NYC, so some $$$$ will be free soon for one of you.

=) Part of my argument is that I was unable to apply earlier due to my first lsat score being low (due to a mental health issue, which did NOT make its way onto my application) but that I submitted as soon as possible. It's really frustrating, though. I would have had it in in November.

nol607

Postby nol607 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:58 pm

I think I want to do something public interest and have begun investigating the LRAP. Cardozo's Laurie M. Tische Loan Repayment Assistance Program ( http://www.cardozo.yu.edu/MemberContent ... entid=5884 ) awards annual grants of $1,000-10,000, obviously for those with qualifying work/circumstances. How generous is this compared to other schools? Also is there some federal component to the LRAP?

EDIT: Just want to clarify that I'm aware that this is for several years down the road, assuming one takes a PI job. I'm not mistaking the LRAP for a component of financial aid.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:00 pm

nol607 wrote:I think I want to do something public interest and have begun investigating the LRAP. Cardozo's Laurie M. Tische Loan Repayment Assistance Program ( http://www.cardozo.yu.edu/MemberContent ... entid=5884 ) awards annual grants of $1,000-10,000, obviously for those with qualifying work/circumstances. How generous is this compared to other schools? Also is there some federal component to the LRAP?

Federal government offers loan forgiveness after 10 years. I don't know anything about it, but I'd say the school's grants would be for your non-federal loans.

nol607

Postby nol607 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:01 pm

So does that mean that ten years of PI work and all of your federal loans are forgiven? Just like that?

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:02 pm

nol607 wrote:So does that mean that ten years of PI work and all of your federal loans are forgiven? Just like that?

You have to pay them as you go, but whatever's left after that is forgiven, I think. new program this year, I also think.

Cardboardbox

Postby Cardboardbox » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:13 pm

So what's the final word, anyone up for still meeting at Waverly? It'd be nice to get to meet fellow TLSers. I know you spoke of having limited time Sib if you can only get there by 9:15, maybe we can order for you so your food is ready for you once you get there? XD anyone else going that wants to meet up?

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:18 pm

Cardboardbox wrote:So what's the final word, anyone up for still meeting at Waverly? It'd be nice to get to meet fellow TLSers. I know you spoke of having limited time Sib if you can only get there by 9:15, maybe we can order for you so your food is ready for you once you get there? XD anyone else going that wants to meet up?

I'd like to =) I think I figured out it'll only take me about an hour to get there (if I take LIRR to Penn, then the subway down again) so I could probbbbbbably get there by 9. Provided my flight is on time and all that stuff. It's supposed to get in at 7:45 and the weather is supposed to be good, so I think I can be there at 9. Then we just head over to register at 9:40ish? But... I don't want to do it if it's just the two of us. Because that would be awkward. Especially if I got delayed. Anyone else want to come?

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:29 pm

Just received another extraordinarily candid response from Dean Martinidez (even showed that he paid attention to my message and remembers my previous ones... that's pretty nice) that clarified the previous for me (are you sitting in here watching us, DM?). He expects no additional funds will be available and last year none were. Will still consider students for additional money if it happens to, by some miracle, become available.
Last edited by sibley on Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:35 pm

sibley wrote:
Cardboardbox wrote:So what's the final word, anyone up for still meeting at Waverly? It'd be nice to get to meet fellow TLSers. I know you spoke of having limited time Sib if you can only get there by 9:15, maybe we can order for you so your food is ready for you once you get there? XD anyone else going that wants to meet up?

I'd like to =) I think I figured out it'll only take me about an hour to get there (if I take LIRR to Penn, then the subway down again) so I could probbbbbbably get there by 9. Provided my flight is on time and all that stuff. It's supposed to get in at 7:45 and the weather is supposed to be good, so I think I can be there at 9. Then we just head over to register at 9:40ish? But... I don't want to do it if it's just the two of us. Because that would be awkward. Especially if I got delayed. Anyone else want to come?

9:40 registration? am i missing something? the email schedule i got says registration is at 11:30!

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:35 pm

hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:

9:40 registration? am i missing something? the email schedule i got says registration is at 11:30!

They said to be there 15 minutes before your first scheduled event... and I want to go to the morning things.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:41 pm

sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:

They said to be there 15 minutes before your first scheduled event... and I want to go to the morning things.

oooh, gotcha. i'm slow today. i think i'm going to skip the AM events and hit up NYU for a self-guided tour and maybe a chance to speak with someone in admissions. i highly doubt that i will be successful.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:42 pm

hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:I'd like to =) I think I figured out it'll only take me about an hour to get there (if I take LIRR to Penn, then the subway down again) so I could probbbbbbably get there by 9. Provided my flight is on time and all that stuff. It's supposed to get in at 7:45 and the weather is supposed to be good, so I think I can be there at 9. Then we just head over to register at 9:40ish? But... I don't want to do it if it's just the two of us. Because that would be awkward. Especially if I got delayed. Anyone else want to come?

oooh, gotcha. i'm slow today. i think i'm going to skip the AM events and hit up NYU for a self-guided tour and maybe a chance to speak with someone in admissions. i highly doubt that i will be successful.

Sounds like a good plan! and when you withdraw from Cardozo and go to NYU/Fordham... please email Dean Martinidez and tell him poor deserving poor financially depressed Sibley should be your alternate.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:56 pm

sibley wrote:
Sounds like a good plan! and when you withdraw from Cardozo and go to NYU/Fordham... please email Dean Martinidez and tell him poor deserving poor financially depressed Sibley should be your alternate.

hehe, maybe when i go to Fordham. NYU outlook not so good (insert magic 8 ball). i hope you're able to get more $!

flowerpot

Postby flowerpot » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:57 pm

Has anyone heard anything today?

trey

Postby trey » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:06 pm

Last edited by trey on Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:37 pm

trey wrote:Dean martinidez asked me to attach other offers. 164/3.9 and was offered 32k. I said I really want to go to cardozo but brooklyn offered me 39700 and st johns offered me full. Also, I was admitted to fordham. He said that last year allm money and seats were full by mid april and that he can't let me know of additional funds before then. He said attach the offers and he'll get back to me as soon as he can. He also said I should make it a point to introduce myself on thursday. Did he not ask anyone else to attach offers? I applied mid november

He didn't ask me to originally but in my second message I emailed him asking if I should and he said I could, but that it was unlikely there'd be any additional aid available, even over the summer.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:56 pm

Every time I go on LSN I get annoyed. There are kids there with worse numbers than me, non-URM, getting more money than they offered me. That's not cool.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:06 pm

So money issues aside, who else is excited for the ASD on Thursday, a day out of work where it's supposed to be beautiful AND checking out the school I am most likely to attend given all 2 of my options thus far. Waitlists go to (as my 6th grade students would say) H E double hockeysticks!

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:07 pm

kaydish21 wrote:So money issues aside, who else is excited for the ASD on Thursday, a day out of work where it's supposed to be beautiful AND checking out the school I am most likely to attend given all 2 of my options thus far. Waitlists go to (as my 6th grade students would say) H E double hockeysticks!

I'm excited. But very grouchy. Are you not joining us in the AM for breakfast at waverly place?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:13 pm

I am interested in applying to Cardozo next fall, but I was wondering why is there contempt for the school from some people on TLS.com?

All I have heard in the real world is great things. Like they are a very strong up and commer and one of the biggest feeder law schools for Ivy grads?

chocho

Postby chocho » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:20 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I am interested in applying to Cardozo next fall, but I was wondering why is there contempt for the school from some people on TLS.com?

All I have heard in the real world is great things. Like they are a very strong up and commer and one of the biggest feeder law schools for Ivy grads?

bc tls is full of a lot of folk that think a law school where you are not garunteed 160k coming out is a joke, full of idiots, and not worth it. take georgetown and cornell for example, they get smashed on this site, yet they are amazing schools. tls.com is a very self selecting group of people, and you are bound to get people that think if it isn't HYS, its pure garbage.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”