Cardozo 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
rodewan

Re: Cardozo 2010

Postby rodewan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:49 pm

thank you 8)

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:57 pm

rodewan wrote:thank you 8)

Is Cardozo your top choice, rode? Where else did you apply/hear from?

rodewan

Postby rodewan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:01 pm

sibley wrote:

atm it is my top choice i guess. i applied to all the schools listed here http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rodewan . my ugrad was engineering so my gpa was kind of low, but my goal in the end is to practice patent law, which is one of cardozo's strong suits. plus nyc would be awesome.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:03 pm

rodewan wrote:
sibley wrote:

atm it is my top choice i guess. i applied to all the schools listed here http://lawschoolnumbers.com/rodewan . my ugrad was engineering so my gpa was kind of low, but my goal in the end is to practice patent law, which is one of cardozo's strong suits. plus nyc would be awesome.

it's my top at the moment as well. fordham waitlisted me so that was the end of that. I think if you're willing to stick on the WL you'll be able to get it... thought it might be late and that wait would SUCK. Good luck, though =) MAybe email and explain your situation a little bit and ask about meeting with someone?

rodewan

Postby rodewan » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:18 pm

sibley wrote:
rodewan wrote:
sibley wrote:

it's my top at the moment as well. fordham waitlisted me so that was the end of that. I think if you're willing to stick on the WL you'll be able to get it... thought it might be late and that wait would SUCK. Good luck, though =) MAybe email and explain your situation a little bit and ask about meeting with someone?

yea, thats pretty much exactly how i feel. it might be worth it so i'll ride it out, but oh how cruel time can be when we have to wait that long lol. good luck to you too! i hope you are able to get in. and thanks for the suggestion, i think thats a good idea, I will do that.

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:23 pm

nol607 wrote:Sorry to abruptly join the conversation but if any of you are familiar w/nyc, would you mind recommending areas where it would be possible to find a studio for < $1000. I would be open to Brooklyn/Queens provided that the neighborhood is close to manhattan. Also, I have a small dog- less than 25lbs. That shouldn't make things too difficult, should it?

I'd recommend the following; (there are other options, but the commute to Manhattan from these neighborhoods is easier)

Manhattan: Washington Heights, Harlem
Brooklyn: Clinton Hill, Bed-Stuy, Crown Heights, Prospect Heights, Flatbush, Sunside Park, Bushwick (neighborhood is kind of sketchy though), maybe Williamsburgh (but it'll be very, very hard).
Queens: Jackson Heights, Astoria.

(Feel free to bump if this is in the wrong thread or if you find this info distracting/irrelevant to the topic)

chocho

Postby chocho » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:46 pm

in general, finding a place for less than 1000 is really tough, studio literally will mean shoe box for less than 1000. if your willing to go slightly over that mark better options would open up a lot faster.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:53 pm

chocho wrote:in general, finding a place for less than 1000 is really tough, studio literally will mean shoe box for less than 1000. if your willing to go slightly over that mark better options would open up a lot faster.

I'd be willing to spend up to $1500 as long as the result was nice. The less, the better though.

nol607

Postby nol607 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:57 pm

$1000-$1,500 range- can you get relatively close to Cardozo, and have a niceish (not overly small/dark) studio?. And is it difficult finding a place with a small dog? Sorry for all of the questions, I've become accustomed to the South- here $1000 gets you someplace palatial.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:58 pm

nol607 wrote:$1000-$1,500 range- can you get relatively close to Cardozo, and have a niceish (not overly small/dark) studio?. And is it difficult finding a place with a small dog? Sorry for all of the questions, I've become accustomed to the South- here $1000 gets you someplace palatial.

I don't think it'll be difficult to find a place that'll accept a small dog. You've gotta remember all of New York lives in apartments, and lots of them have pets. Since he's small it's even easier.

nol607

Postby nol607 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:00 pm

Thanks- that's reassuring.

nol607

Postby nol607 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:03 pm

And congrats on the scholarship. I'm trying to figure out it $16k/yr is enough to mitigate NYC's costs.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:03 pm

nol607 wrote:And congrats on the scholarship. I'm trying to figure out it $16k/yr is enough to mitigate NYC's costs.

thanks =) yeah it's hard with the cost of living but I think I want to be in NYC anyway so it works out.

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:15 pm

For folks that didn't get much $ with their offers it may be useful to reach out to the financial aid office. Cardozo also provides pretty good need-based grants. I got a small scholarship ($5K), but also got half tuition need-based grant (in addition to the $5K) after contacting the student finance office.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:16 pm

carlkenneth wrote:For folks that didn't get much $ with their offers it may be useful to reach out to the financial aid office. Cardozo also provides pretty good need-based grants. I got a small scholarship ($5K), but also got half tuition need-based grant (in addition to the $5K) after contacting the student finance office.

how long did it take them to get back to you? I emailed them almost exactly a day ago asking about this.

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:21 pm

sibley wrote:
carlkenneth wrote:For folks that didn't get much $ with their offers it may be useful to reach out to the financial aid office. Cardozo also provides pretty good need-based grants. I got a small scholarship ($5K), but also got half tuition need-based grant (in addition to the $5K) after contacting the student finance office.

how long did it take them to get back to you? I emailed them almost exactly a day ago asking about this.

I contacted them on a Friday afternoon so it took them a couple of days to respond to my e-mail. But when they responded, they had an answer for me on whether I was eligible for need based aid and how much.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:23 pm

carlkenneth wrote:
sibley wrote:

I contacted them on a Friday afternoon so it took them a couple of days to respond to my e-mail. But when they responded, they had an answer for me on whether I was eligible for need based aid and how much.

that's promising. I'm planning on meeting with someone about it on the 18th, but I'd like to have an idea NOW. Because I live in an instant gratification society. In my email all I did was ask when I should hear about need-based aid. Didn't tell them when I submitted my fafsa or anything. Should I follow up and ask exactly what I'll be receiving instead? =/

Cardboardbox

Postby Cardboardbox » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:31 pm

for those of you going on the 18th, is there anywhere all the TLSers are meeting or anything before so we know who the other TLSers are? XD

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:31 pm

Cardboardbox wrote:for those of you going on the 18th, is there anywhere all the TLSers are meeting or anything before so we know who the other TLSers are? XD

that'd be nice =) you plan it.

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:33 pm

They told me that they will be mailing financial aid award letters out next week and the week after so I'm guessing you'll get it then, if you have completed the FAFSA already. If you're really impatient, you may want to call the financial aid office and ask whomever answers if you're fin aid award had been processed yet. If you can wait a week then I'm sure whomever you're meeting with will likely have an answer :-). Maybe you can e-mail them to confirm your mtg for next week and at that time ask if you're award has been processed.

chocho

Postby chocho » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:36 pm

Cardboardbox wrote:for those of you going on the 18th, is there anywhere all the TLSers are meeting or anything before so we know who the other TLSers are? XD

haha when we show up do we say what name we are on tls

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:36 pm

carlkenneth wrote:They told me that they will be mailing financial aid award letters out next week and the week after so I'm guessing you'll get it then, if you have completed the FAFSA already. If you're really impatient, you may want to call the financial aid office and ask whomever answers if you're fin aid award had been processed yet. If you can wait a week then I'm sure whomever you're meeting with will likely have an answer :-). Maybe you can e-mail them to confirm your mtg for next week and at that time ask if you're award has been processed.

this is a good idea. I need to look into the schedule for the day to see when I can meet with them anyway... maybe they'd have more information.

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:46 pm

I didn't realize that they sent the schedule for 3/18 yet. I can't take the entire day off work so I'm only going to parts of it. It also seems like it'll be similar to the sneak peek event.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 pm

carlkenneth wrote:I didn't realize that they sent the schedule for 3/18 yet. I can't take the entire day off work so I'm only going to parts of it. It also seems like it'll be similar to the sneak peek event.

I emailed them and got a very general timeline of things.

xj5

Postby xj5 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:08 pm

To those attending the Admitted Students Day-

What do you think about asking for a little more scholarship money? I've been offered 25k, but with high tuition and COL thats practically sticker at other schools not in NYC.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”