Cardozo 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jk11287

Re: Cardozo 2010

Postby jk11287 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:21 pm

dgb87 wrote:
Granted this is only in terms of scholarship money, not in school prestige, rank, or job prospects that may be effected by school choice. Just a thought that some of you might want to consider...

*edit for typo*

I understand what you're trying to say, but excluding considerations of rank/prestige/job prospects is missing the point entirely. People are lured away from great schools where the job prospects are substantially better under the false pretense of having their education entirely paid for; this could be a deciding factor for some people, as it significantly reduces the pressure of having to find a job immediately or having to settle for a job they don't want. f you take away the money, the entire appeal of of Cardozo (for some people) disappears because they end up having to pay for school regardless, and are under even more pressure to find a great paying job because they are trying to pay off the same amount of money in loans but with a less prestigious name (not to mention class rank) on their degree.

so you're not actually saving money in the long run, but rather running the risk of putting yourself in a less favorable financial situation.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:27 pm

jk11287 wrote:
dgb87 wrote:
Granted this is only in terms of scholarship money, not in school prestige, rank, or job prospects that may be effected by school choice. Just a thought that some of you might want to consider...

*edit for typo*

I understand what you're trying to say, but excluding considerations of rank/prestige/job prospects is missing the point entirely. People are lured away from great schools where the job prospects are substantially better under the false pretense of having their education entirely paid for; this could be a deciding factor for some people, as it significantly reduces the pressure of having to find a job immediately or having to settle for a job they don't want. f you take away the money, the entire appeal of of Cardozo (for some people) disappears because they end up having to pay for school regardless, and are under even more pressure to find a great paying job because they are trying to pay off the same amount of money in loans but with a less prestigious name (not to mention class rank) on their degree.

so you're not actually saving money in the long run, but rather running the risk of putting yourself in a less favorable financial situation.

If I got no money at any school I would pick Fordham over Cardozo. But Cardozo's offered me 30k... and there are stipulations, but it's not that I'll just loose all my scholarship. It's that if I drop below a certain GPA I'll lose a certain amount of my money. And at Cardozo I wouldn't want, nor would I really expect, to drop below a certain GPA in order to preserve chances at jobs, law review, etc.

It's a question for me right now. I don't want big law, so I'm not overly concerned (and even then, it looks like over 50% of Cardozo grads make over 120k starting out according to their stats on this site) but I'm kind of being put off by the potential sleaze factor.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:33 pm

sibley wrote:If I got no money at any school I would pick Fordham over Cardozo. But Cardozo's offered me 30k... and there are stipulations, but it's not that I'll just loose all my scholarship. It's that if I drop below a certain GPA I'll lose a certain amount of my money. And at Cardozo I wouldn't want, nor would I really expect, to drop below a certain GPA in order to preserve chances at jobs, law review, etc.

It's a question for me right now. I don't want big law, so I'm not overly concerned (and even then, it looks like over 50% of Cardozo grads make over 120k starting out according to their stats on this site) but I'm kind of being put off by the potential sleaze factor.
Obviously I don't know you, and I'm not saying that you won't get good grades , but I think the fact of the matter is that there are a lot of really smart people out there whose numbers are much higher than Cardozo's medians that don't think that they will drop below the 3.3 required for the scholarship...but if every single one of those people are in the same section and grading is curved, then it is mathmatically impossible for every single one of those people, regardless of intelligence, to maintain their scholarship because everything is relative.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:36 pm

jk11287 wrote:
sibley wrote:If I got no money at any school I would pick Fordham over Cardozo. But Cardozo's offered me 30k... and there are stipulations, but it's not that I'll just loose all my scholarship. It's that if I drop below a certain GPA I'll lose a certain amount of my money. And at Cardozo I wouldn't want, nor would I really expect, to drop below a certain GPA in order to preserve chances at jobs, law review, etc.

Obviously I don't know you, and I'm not saying that you won't get good grades , but I think the fact of the matter is that there are a lot of really smart people out there whose numbers are much higher than Cardozo's medians that don't think that they will drop below the 3.3 required for the scholarship...but if every single one of those people are in the same section and grading is curved, then it is mathmatically impossible for every single one of those people, regardless of intelligence, to maintain their scholarship because everything is relative.

Yeah I'm going to email the dean and ask if they section stack, explain my concerns. I'm not big on academics, as my gpa suggests. I never expect better than a b+, even in my best subjects... but it seems to me, even if I lost part of my scholarship I'd still be better off than paying full tuition.. and if you get your gpa up they give you the full amount again the next year....

the main issue is that I got 11k/yr from WashU. I don't want to live in St Louis and I want to do immigration law, so NYC would be a good choice. But if I dropped to about that much from Cardozo, how could I justify my decision?

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:28 pm

I hope they will relax the GPA requirements for you or raise the amount. That way, even if you fall to the 80% mark, you'll still net a decent amount of $$.

I know we're talking about "strings attached" and whatnot, but GPA requirements for scholarships arent totally unheard of. Its true that Cardozo offers A LOT of large schollys to strong applicants, but we don't know how many of those people actually enroll. Maybe its only a few or maybe its enough for a whole section.

Cardozo is trying to rise in the ranks and they know they need students with high LSAT and/or GPA to raise their medians. If you are one of those people dont be shy about trying to negotiate for more money.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:29 pm

chutzpah wrote:I hope they will relax the GPA requirements for you or raise the amount. That way, even if you fall to the 80% mark, you'll still net a decent amount of $$.

I know we're talking about "strings attached" and whatnot, but GPA requirements for scholarships arent totally unheard of. Its true that Cardozo offers A LOT of large schollys to strong applicants, but we don't know how many of those people actually enroll. Maybe its only a few or maybe its enough for a whole section.

Cardozo is trying to rise in the ranks and they know they need students with high LSAT and/or GPA to raise their medians. If you are one of those people dont be shy about trying to negotiate for more money.

I emailed, but all I asked in the email was about section stacking. after those concerns are alleviated I'll worry about moneys....

illbakeyouacake

Postby illbakeyouacake » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:35 pm

my wisdom tooth is also coming in. i was offered full tuition to cardozo today.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:36 pm

illbakeyouacake wrote:my wisdom tooth is also coming in. i was offered full tuition to cardozo today.

congrats. stats? what tooth? mine's the upper left.

illbakeyouacake

Postby illbakeyouacake » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:54 pm

upper right. 167/3.5/yid.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:56 pm

sibley wrote:
chutzpah wrote:I hope they will relax the GPA requirements for you or raise the amount. That way, even if you fall to the 80% mark, you'll still net a decent amount of $$.

I emailed, but all I asked in the email was about section stacking. after those concerns are alleviated I'll worry about moneys....

But even if they don't section stack, there is no guarantee that as a scholarship person you are going to beat a non-scholarship person. So is the nature of the curve. I just think "stipulated scholarships" are a dangerous thing when there is a mandatory curve. Especially when your placement = your job prospects. If you lose your scholarship, you will also have worse prospects... scary stuff.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:01 pm

keg411 wrote:
sibley wrote:

But even if they don't section stack, there is no guarantee that as a scholarship person you are going to beat a non-scholarship person. So is the nature of the curve. I just think "stipulated scholarships" are a dangerous thing when there is a mandatory curve. Especially when your placement = your job prospects. If you lose your scholarship, you will also have worse prospects... scary stuff.

If it's not offered in response to this email my next one will be of that regard.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:02 pm

illbakeyouacake wrote:upper right. 167/3.5/yid.

congrats!!! and i got my upper left wisdom tooth pulled yesterday :mrgreen:

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:05 pm

hannah87 wrote:

my tooth is sympathizing for yours. I am keeping mine. it made the back molar crooked, but oh well.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:12 pm

sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

my tooth is sympathizing for yours. I am keeping mine. it made the back molar crooked, but oh well.

hehe, thanks. i did them one at a time, so this was actually my 4th extraction...because i'm a masochist like that.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:13 pm

hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

hehe, thanks. i did them one at a time, so this was actually my 4th extraction...because i'm a masochist like that.

lol. that is a little bit masochistic and/or nuts. did you need them out or were you just suspecting they'd eventually cause trouble?

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:15 pm

sibley wrote:
lol. that is a little bit masochistic and/or nuts. did you need them out or were you just suspecting they'd eventually cause trouble?

i had each one pulled as it started to bother me. at least this way i can still eat on the opposite side of my mouth and i don't look like a chipmunk!

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:16 pm

hannah87 wrote:
sibley wrote:

i had each one pulled as it started to bother me. at least this way i can still eat on the opposite side of my mouth and i don't look like a chipmunk!

half a chipmunk!

roecyris

Postby roecyris » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:18 am

Went Decision Made and Sent today ... anyone else?

EDIT: Looking back on this thread it looks like cardozo is calling people that they've accepted ... since I went DM and got no call should I just assume that's a no or WL?

Thanks, ya'll!!

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:43 pm

roecyris wrote:Went Decision Made and Sent today ... anyone else?

EDIT: Looking back on this thread it looks like cardozo is calling people that they've accepted ... since I went DM and got no call should I just assume that's a no or WL?

Thanks, ya'll!!

I do think it's their standard to call admitted students so you probably have unhappy news coming, unless they got your phone number wrong.

Anyone with concerns about section stacking, PM me. I got clarification from two of the deans about this and permission to quote them, though I do feel uncomfortable pasting it in here. Their responses were both transparent and kind/patient.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:49 pm

I emailed the generic admissions address with a question and received a relatively quick response directly from the dean of admissions (who was formerly at CLS and before that NYU). I have been very impressed with the school's interactions with me thus far.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:53 pm

chutzpah wrote:I emailed the generic admissions address with a question and received a relatively quick response directly from the dean of admissions (who was formerly at CLS and before that NYU). I have been very impressed with the school's interactions with me thus far.

+1 to the being impressed. I'm feeling something in my throat that is oddly similar to what I feel when someone I love does something that makes me love them more.

pleaseadmitme

Postby pleaseadmitme » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:59 pm

sibley wrote:
roecyris wrote:Went Decision Made and Sent today ... anyone else?

Thanks, ya'll!!

I do think it's their standard to call admitted students so you probably have unhappy news coming, unless they got your phone number wrong.

Anyone with concerns about section stacking, PM me. I got clarification from two of the deans about this and permission to quote them, though I do feel uncomfortable pasting it in here. Their responses were both transparent and kind/patient.

Cardozo emails WL'd students. I'm pretty sure they mail people rejection letters per their website "Final decisions are sent to applicants via regular US mail. Waitlist correspondence is sent via email."

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:44 pm

Got in via phone call around 2 pm mountain time, about time :D

Scuzzlebutt

Postby Scuzzlebutt » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:37 pm

Despite always living in the Northeast, I can honestly say that Mountain Time is without a doubt the best time.

I'll see you in September and we can sob together about how there are no real mountains in Eastern Time.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:43 pm

By the way, to the person who said Cardozo was being sued for section stacking : I checked elaw for civil and supreme court in New York County but couldn't find anything.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”