Cardozo 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TripleK

Re: Cardozo 2010

Postby TripleK » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:30 am

superflush wrote:
timertimer61 wrote:
superflush wrote:
timertimer61 wrote:fordham p/t (switch to f/t after 1l) or cardozo with 23k/year scholly? anyone else facing same dilemma?

Fordham. No question.

reasons?

Much better school. Much better placement.

My college roomate's brother is a partner at Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold LLP in NYC. He basically told me that if you want to work big law from Cardozo you can. You just need to be in the top 10%, maybe 15%, of the class.

He recommended Fordham as the better alternative.

However, Cardozo is coming up on the rankings, so who knows what it will be like in 3 years,,,,

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:24 pm

TripleK wrote:
superflush wrote:
timertimer61 wrote:
Fordham. No question.

reasons?

Much better school. Much better placement.

My college roomate's brother is a partner at Sedgwick, Detert, Moran & Arnold LLP in NYC. He basically told me that if you want to work big law from Cardozo you can. You just need to be in the top 10%, maybe 15%, of the class.

He recommended Fordham as the better alternative.

However, Cardozo is coming up on the rankings, so who knows what it will be like in 3 years,,,,[/quote]

Right now I'm preferring Cardozo to Fordham. $$$, plus it'll assumably be much easier to get on law review, since it'll be easier to get a good ranking.

superflush

Postby superflush » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:52 pm

TripleK wrote:However, Cardozo is coming up on the rankings, so who knows what it will be like in 3 years,,,,

Well, I'd be pretty shocked if it surpassed Fordham.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:13 pm

superflush wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
mdgold wrote:Its kinda nice to see that even if we choose cardozo, we can still work at biglaw and make money. if you compare it to fordham, its really not that much worse because i think a lot of people choose cardozo if they dont want to work in a private firm

i'm dont really think this is true because not a huge percentage from cardozo ends up going into gov't or PI (at least not a lot more than any other school). however, i am surprised that over 35% got biglaw that year! i know its worse now but thats pretty high.

Okay, let's slow down for a second. Those 35% of Cardozo grads that year DID NOT GET BIG LAW. 35% of the students who got work in law firms got jobs working for firms of over 500 lawyers. 57.8% of the class went to firms, and 35% of them were in 500+ firms, so about 21.1% of the whole class would have gotten into 500+ firms. (this is for the class of 2008)

NLJ has Cardozo's class of 2005 having 12% getting NLJ250 firms. Keep in mind that only about the top 100 NLJ firms have 500+ lawyers (so, the percentage who got 500+ firms is likely less than 12%.

So, believe what you will ...

oh well, i just added up all firms with more than 51 people. i know this isnt big law. i guess i just meant that 35% got paid a good salary.. ranging from midlaw to elite firms.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:59 pm

Just got the IN call. I was offered full tuition for the first year, according to the woman on the phone. She said I was chose as a "Cardozo Scholar", I believe. Not sure if that means the scholarship is renewable or any other details. So in one day I knocked off my last two safety schools with some solid offers. Seton Hall with 35K a year and now Cardozo with full tuition. Certainly not a bad day. Now I'm left with just my reach schools pending...

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:00 pm

dakatz wrote:Just got the IN call. I was offered full tuition for the first year, according to the woman on the phone. She said I was chose as a "Cardozo Scholar", I believe. Not sure if that means the scholarship is renewable or any other details. So in one day I knocked off my last two safety schools with some solid offers. Seton Hall with 35K a year and now Cardozo with full tuition. Certainly not a bad day. Now I'm left with just my reach schools pending...

#s?

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:17 pm

sdegarmo wrote:
dakatz wrote:Just got the IN call. I was offered full tuition for the first year, according to the woman on the phone. She said I was chose as a "Cardozo Scholar", I believe. Not sure if that means the scholarship is renewable or any other details. So in one day I knocked off my last two safety schools with some solid offers. Seton Hall with 35K a year and now Cardozo with full tuition. Certainly not a bad day. Now I'm left with just my reach schools pending...

#s?

and find out the scholarship details for us, while you're at it

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:19 pm

sibley wrote:
sdegarmo wrote:

#s?

and find out the scholarship details for us, while you're at it

As soon as I get the mailing, I will let you know. I checked the website, and it just lists the "Cardozo Scholar" award as a full tuition award. Doesn't list out the reqs to keep it. Guess I can call up the fin. aid office and find out.

nsinger

Postby nsinger » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:21 pm

I think I'm having the same dilemma a number of people in here are having. I was granted a 35K/yr scholly from Cardozo but was also accepted to Fordham and William & Mary (seems arbitrary to mention W&M but its another top choice for me). My family has very little money so I am completely debt averse as well as not sure if I want to work big law. (actually thinking of working for gov't). Any info on Cardozo or advice from anyone would be much appreciated.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:28 pm

Ok, I called up the admissions office and the "Cardozo Scholar" Program is a full tuition award that is renewable for the 2nd and 3rd year, but is contingent on a 3.3 GPA, which was described to me as "about the top 40% of the class". So not exactly a guarantee of keeping the award. While I am confident that I would do well at Cardozo, I can't imagine what would happen if I had any sort of slip up and then had to pay full tuition. Though she did mention that, even if you fall below the threshold, many students are still allowed to keep a portion of their scholarship, depending on how close to that 3.3 they lie.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:36 pm

thanks =)

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:35 pm

has everyone who has received decisions gone complete relatively early? i should be auto admit (based on numbers) but nothing yet. complete 12/1 though. is it way too early for me?

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:57 pm

AlanShore wrote:has everyone who has received decisions gone complete relatively early? i should be auto admit (based on numbers) but nothing yet. complete 12/1 though. is it way too early for me?

what are your numbers?

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:01 am

timertimer61 wrote:
AlanShore wrote:has everyone who has received decisions gone complete relatively early? i should be auto admit (based on numbers) but nothing yet. complete 12/1 though. is it way too early for me?

what are your numbers?

167 3.6x thats auto admit, isnt it?

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:02 am

AlanShore wrote:
timertimer61 wrote:

what are your numbers?

oh i guess it isnt. i didnt realize cardozo's median gpa was so high. but my numbers are still pretty solid for them.

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:18 am

AlanShore wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
timertimer61 wrote:

what are your numbers?

oh i guess it isnt. i didnt realize cardozo's median gpa was so high. but my numbers are still pretty solid for them.

you should be good for some scholly from them actually. i had lower numbers and got good amount of money (about half)

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:21 am

timertimer61 wrote:you should be good for some scholly from them actually. i had lower numbers and got good amount of money (about half)

i'm kind of nervous i didnt get in yet. im impatient. :|

timertimer61

Postby timertimer61 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:38 am

AlanShore wrote:
timertimer61 wrote:you should be good for some scholly from them actually. i had lower numbers and got good amount of money (about half)

i'm kind of nervous i didnt get in yet. im impatient. :|

you'll be fine ;)
by the way, i love boston legal. i wish that they didnt end it.
i also wish the show was a realistic representation of being an attorney..

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:17 pm

AlanShore wrote:
timertimer61 wrote:

what are your numbers?

Alan depending on the quality of your other factors (recs, ps) you might get a full scholly. I have very similar # and I got a full ride with the Paulsen as you know. I don't think my # necessarily did it for me, I do think the overall strength of my app added to my chances for full scholly significantly. Overall, I think you will definitely get more than 50%

as for Fordham v. Cardozo, if you're risk averse and not set on biglaw/ don't want big law go with the scholly at Cardozo FOR SURE!!

I have a lot of respect for dozo, they are doing all the right things to attract a highly qualified student body and I'd put my money on them moving up in the rankings significantly. Especially in times of financial crisis, top students are gonna be attracted by scholly offers like those dozo gives out
Last edited by SanBun on Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:19 pm

SanBun wrote:
AlanShore wrote:
timertimer61 wrote:

what are your numbers?

Alan depending on the quality of your other factors (recs, ps) you might get a full scholly. I have very similar # and I got a full ride with the Paulsen as you know. I don't think my # necessarily did it for me, I do think the overall strength of my app added to my chances for full scholly significantly

thanks SanBun. I'd be happy if I got an acceptance right now!

wilkey10

Postby wilkey10 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:28 pm

have anyone else been at complete and under review for over a month and a half now? My status date is 11/18/09

im starting to get worried

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:30 pm

wilkey10 wrote:have anyone else been at complete and under review for over a month and a half now? My status date is 11/18/09

im starting to get worried

what are your numbers wilkey? i havent be complete for over a month and a half but i am starting to get worried. but i am a worry-wart..

sibley

Postby sibley » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:55 pm

You guys are making me feel good. So... these schools that I haven't heard from, that I should be auto admit at, they're not sending me my acceptance or yp rejection because... they're considering me for $$$?

That sounds nice.

goosey

Postby goosey » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:58 pm

went to ITAP yesterday at cardozo and it was really cool.

holidayfromreal

Postby holidayfromreal » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:43 am

does anyone know how to log into the admitted student website? My acceptance packet had the website but no log in information

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”