Cardozo 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
zapper

Re: Cardozo 2010

Postby zapper » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:01 pm

Does anybody know if scholarship offers from Cardozo decrease as the cycle progresses? I'm really interested in the school but I sent in my application last week.

Also, do people think these full scholarships are entirely numbers based, or do softs come into play?

see18

Postby see18 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:21 pm

zapper wrote:Does anybody know if scholarship offers from Cardozo decrease as the cycle progresses? I'm really interested in the school but I sent in my application last week.

Also, do people think these full scholarships are entirely numbers based, or do softs come into play?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say they're mostly numbers based. It seems that people with really high numbers for Cardozo got the full rides, and the lower your numbers the lower your money (I don't think they've accepted people not above median yet, but I could be wrong about that). I'm sure plenty of people with high numbers will turn down their offers, which should leave money for the rest of the cycle.

see18

Postby see18 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:25 pm

see18 wrote:Haha, I'm a girl, not a he, btw.
sibley wrote:They always think I'm male too. Even when my avatar was fish with a castle. And you're right, it wasn't an argument. I just wanted to make sure you weren't attempting to pull it off as pure logic (not because I think TLS has some right to accuracy, just because I think you have the right to not have any blinders on during your cycle). I'm all for going to a school based on the 'softs.'

For purely aesthetic reasons Cardozo > Fordham, and if I'm going to be taking on debt, I'm going to take that into consideration. I firmly believe that no school in NYC is worth sticker unless it's NYU or Columbia. Fordham is definitely not worth sticker, at least looking at offers I already have.

Why do people always assume law school means your male? Totally not the case. My profile even says I'm female, but no one seems to notice.

see18

Postby see18 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:52 pm

SanBun wrote:
see18 wrote:Point taken, and agreed. I'm not really looking for big law, so for me saving money is the better option. If you really want big law, then the best school you get into is obviously the best option.

oh wow, I never actually expect to 'win' an argument with TLSers, since you guys are all super smart. haha cool thanks :)

no but I def hear what you're saying, I'm almost certain that PI law is a better fit for me and dozo is therefore really high on my list- 3 yrs no strings+ stipend+ downtown location = AWESOMENESS!!

Haha, I wouldn't call myself a "TLSer," I very rarely post much, mostly I just find checking this and LSN easier than checking each and every status checker (I figure if no one's has moved today, why would mine have?) You really can't beat a free law degree from a good school, can you? Cardozo is a relatively new school so I find it impressive that even at just a little over 30 years old its ranked 49, up from 55 last year, so I'd expect (especially with these scholarships to high scorers) in the next few years this upward trend will continue.

I find posting on TLS takes far more time and energy than is normally worth since most people just lash out at other user's arguments. Prospective lawyers do not always play nicely apparently.

clem21

Postby clem21 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:08 pm

see18 wrote:
see18 wrote:Haha, I'm a girl, not a he, btw.
sibley wrote:They always think I'm male too. Even when my avatar was fish with a castle. And you're right, it wasn't an argument. I just wanted to make sure you weren't attempting to pull it off as pure logic (not because I think TLS has some right to accuracy, just because I think you have the right to not have any blinders on during your cycle). I'm all for going to a school based on the 'softs.'

For purely aesthetic reasons Cardozo > Fordham, and if I'm going to be taking on debt, I'm going to take that into consideration. I firmly believe that no school in NYC is worth sticker unless it's NYU or Columbia. Fordham is definitely not worth sticker, at least looking at offers I already have.

Why do people always assume law school means your male? Totally not the case. My profile even says I'm female, but no one seems to notice.

I agree with these sentiments. I'm also not sure if I'm arrogant enough to believe that I can finish in the top ten percent at Cardozo. Because if I am that shamelessly egotistical and I win that gamble I save 135K and get my cake anyway. And if I lose I still have no debt so I can afford to pay for all the alcoholic beverages needed to drown my sorrows away.

So really it's a win-win.

And on the bright side, at least if nobody's looking at your profile, you know you don't have any stalkers. 8)

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:16 pm

So, how special should I feel about being a Paulson scholar? Is that the case for everyone who got full rides?

FromRussiaWithLove

Postby FromRussiaWithLove » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:57 am

SanBun wrote:So, how special should I feel about being a Paulson scholar? Is that the case for everyone who got full rides?

Does your full ride come with a GPA stipulation?

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:25 pm

Just got voicemail acceptance - full tuition, no mention of strings or special named scholarships. I'm not keen to call back just to ask if there are strings attached, so hopefully that will be addressed in the official acceptance letter.

mdgold

Postby mdgold » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:31 pm

just got the call. scholarship but not full ride

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:32 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:Just got voicemail acceptance - full tuition, no mention of strings or special named scholarships. I'm not keen to call back just to ask if there are strings attached, so hopefully that will be addressed in the official acceptance letter.

congrats!

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:33 pm

FromRussiaWithLove wrote:
SanBun wrote:So, how special should I feel about being a Paulson scholar? Is that the case for everyone who got full rides?

nope, guaranteed. It specifically says full ride as a Monrad Paulsen scholar

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm

SanBun wrote:
FromRussiaWithLove wrote:

nope, guaranteed. It specifically says full ride as a Monrad Paulsen scholar

Maybe really special.. but I guess you won't know until they start sending more info.
The Monrad Paulsen Scholarship, named after Cardozo’s esteemed first dean, offers full tuition, and is awarded to entering students nominated by the Faculty Committee on Admissions for outstanding academic credentials.

There was a full tution scholly program at my undergrad called Renaissance Scholars. Very secret. My friend got it for being a hula dancing hawaiian born person who went to obama's school and did anthro... and was smart. Someone else got it for being smart and inventing kitchen utensils. If your scholly is secret like theirs, you can feel special. Otherwise, just feel lucky =D

elevatorlove

Postby elevatorlove » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm

just got full tuition via voicemail. pretty excited! i'm in the same boat as BaiAilian2013, though...there was no mention of strings and don't really want to call back just to ask.

holidayfromreal

Postby holidayfromreal » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:15 pm

I'm a Paulson too! Don't know if it's everyone with a full ride or not but I guess at least a few

clem21

Postby clem21 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:17 pm

efusty06 wrote:

I'm a Paulson too! Don't know if it's everyone with a full ride or not but I guess at least a few

Nope, my full ride says I'm a "Cardozo Scholar"

mdgold

Postby mdgold » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:20 pm

clem21 wrote:
efusty06 wrote:

Is that in the mail you got on on the online status checker?

dgb87

Postby dgb87 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:22 pm

I'm also a Paulsen scholar...good to know I'm not alone! lol

clem21

Postby clem21 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:27 pm

mdgold wrote:
clem21 wrote:
efusty06 wrote:

Is that in the mail you got on on the online status checker?

In the mail, in my acceptance package

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:28 pm

anyone with the 10/24 heard anything yet? i'm dying here.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:42 pm

I hope they didn't give out all those nice scholarships already. I want one... think they saved me one? I applied 1/4/10... =/

AlanShore

Postby AlanShore » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:43 pm

sibley wrote:I hope they didn't give out all those nice scholarships already. I want one... think they saved me one? I applied 1/4/10... =/

from LSN they gave out quite a few scholarships late in the game. dont worry.

mes2010

Postby mes2010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:49 pm

11/4 here... :/

mdgold

Postby mdgold » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:49 pm

webbylu87 wrote:anyone with the 10/24 heard anything yet? i'm dying here.

yup i got in with money

beesknees

Postby beesknees » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:09 pm

Just got a Cardozo email! I'm in with the Paulsen scholarship (no GPA requirement). Wow, a free law school education sounds tempting after thinking about the $150k+ I'd have to take out for my top school acceptances.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:13 pm

beesknees wrote:Just got a Cardozo email! I'm in with the Paulsen scholarship (no GPA requirement). Wow, a free law school education sounds tempting after thinking about the $150k+ I'd have to take out for my top school acceptances.

you're 169/3.66 right?

I'm interested in seeing what the lowest full ride looks like... as I want it with my 170/3.34.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”