Cardozo 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
keg411

Re: Cardozo 2010

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:01 pm

sjedood wrote:Has anyone gotten a decision who applied in December?

I applied in December -- still complete and under review. I applied for the standard Fall program with very borderline stats plus I'm re-taking. I really don't expect to hear for a while (unless it's a rejection).

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:10 pm

js87 wrote:Just got the call -- in with a guaranteed three year full scholarship, plus a guaranteed spot in housing.

It's pretty amazing knowing I can go to law school for free. The more amazing part: last year I applied with a low 160's LSAT score and was waitlisted, and subsequently admitted to the summer start program. I visited the school and loved it. The vertical campus has beautiful facilities and is in a great location. But I did not want to go 150k (or more, with living expenses) in debt.

I took the year off despite the protests of my parents. I retook the LSAT, raised my score significantly, and reapplied this year. Now I'm in with a full scholarship. The fact remains that taking a year off, retaking the LSAT, and reapplying can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, accounting for interest on loans, and the invaluable feeling of financial freedom.

If anyone is unhappy with their options this year, keep my story in mind.

stats if you dont mind?? and congrats on having the patience to do what you did... bet your parents think u made a good choice haha

lollipop

Postby lollipop » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:39 pm

Would love opinions....

heard yesterday that I got a full scholarship from cardozo. Got into fordham too, which has really been my target and first choice, but now I am not sure. Do you think fordham is that much better that it would make sense to go there over cardozo, even though i can go to cardozo for free (and graduate with no debt!) ??

FromRussiaWithLove

Postby FromRussiaWithLove » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:30 am

lollipop wrote:Would love opinions....

heard yesterday that I got a full scholarship from cardozo. Got into fordham too, which has really been my target and first choice, but now I am not sure. Do you think fordham is that much better that it would make sense to go there over cardozo, even though i can go to cardozo for free (and graduate with no debt!) ??

Don't pay to go to fordham if you can go to dozo for free.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:54 am

lollipop wrote:Would love opinions....

I'd take the scholarship, especially if it's no strings attached (I know some people's have been from Cardozo), but that's just me. Three years to live and network in NYC while paying no tuition just seems too good to pass up.

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:16 am

For those that got full rides....what were your numbers if you dont mind...and is it gpa conditional or no strings...im curious to see if there is a numbers wall that really seperates the two...bc no strings attach is a completely different animal in terms of scholarships....

dgb87

Postby dgb87 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:14 pm

Full Scholarship + Stipend...no strings attached 168/3.66, good softs, non-urm...hope that helps

adgirl13

Postby adgirl13 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:41 pm

+1 complete 10/24 how about you?
Yep, complete and under review 10/24.

+1 complete 10/24...
Joining the club; still nothing.

Me too. Went to complete 10/24 a couple of days ago...we must be next up for decisions?

js87

Postby js87 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:44 pm

itsfine wrote:
js87 wrote:Just got the call -- in with a guaranteed three year full scholarship, plus a guaranteed spot in housing.

It's pretty amazing knowing I can go to law school for free. The more amazing part: last year I applied with a low 160's LSAT score and was waitlisted, and subsequently admitted to the summer start program. I visited the school and loved it. The vertical campus has beautiful facilities and is in a great location. But I did not want to go 150k (or more, with living expenses) in debt.

I took the year off despite the protests of my parents. I retook the LSAT, raised my score significantly, and reapplied this year. Now I'm in with a full scholarship. The fact remains that taking a year off, retaking the LSAT, and reapplying can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, accounting for interest on loans, and the invaluable feeling of financial freedom.

stats if you dont mind?? and congrats on having the patience to do what you did... bet your parents think u made a good choice haha

Thanks. My retake LSAT was 171, GPA is 3.75. Good softs, but nothing spectacular. Graduated from a no-name state university in a state not known for its academic prowess :p

see18

Postby see18 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Did anyone else get their packet yet? I'm wondering how hard a 3.3 is to keep at Cardozo to keep the full scholarship. At W&M it's a "B" for the scholarship I got...And also does anyone know if Cardozo provides travel stipend for ASW?

soda mayor

Postby soda mayor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:11 am

see18 wrote:Did anyone else get their packet yet? I'm wondering how hard a 3.3 is to keep at Cardozo to keep the full scholarship. At W&M it's a "B" for the scholarship I got...And also does anyone know if Cardozo provides travel stipend for ASW?

i got my packet today with a scholarship of 32k renewable so long as I maintain a 3.3 which they said is roughly top 40%. If i drop to a 3.2 they take a way 25% of my money and if I drop to a 3.1 they take 50%. If I should lose any money and subsequently bring my cumulative gpa back to top a 3.3 or 3.2 or 3.1 they will reinstate my scholarship.

see18

Postby see18 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:47 am

soda mayor wrote:
see18 wrote:Did anyone else get their packet yet? I'm wondering how hard a 3.3 is to keep at Cardozo to keep the full scholarship. At W&M it's a "B" for the scholarship I got...And also does anyone know if Cardozo provides travel stipend for ASW?

i got my packet today with a scholarship of 32k renewable so long as I maintain a 3.3 which they said is roughly top 40%. If i drop to a 3.2 they take a way 25% of my money and if I drop to a 3.1 they take 50%. If I should lose any money and subsequently bring my cumulative gpa back to top a 3.3 or 3.2 or 3.1 they will reinstate my scholarship.

Same as mine then, and I got 32K as well. I didn't know about the top 40% part (it was sent to my permanent address so my mom read the letter to me), that doesn't seem so bad. Thanks! Does that make Cardozo a top choice for you?

soda mayor

Postby soda mayor » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:51 am

see18 wrote:
soda mayor wrote:

Same as mine then, and I got 32K as well. I didn't know about the top 40% part (it was sent to my permanent address so my mom read the letter to me), that doesn't seem so bad. Thanks! Does that make Cardozo a top choice for you?

I think so but I'm still debating. I can't really convince myself that paying sticker at Fordham is the right move.

see18

Postby see18 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:59 am

soda mayor wrote:
see18 wrote:
soda mayor wrote:

I think so but I'm still debating. I can't really convince myself that paying sticker at Fordham is the right move.

I agree. I haven't heard from Fordham yet, but I can't imagine paying sticker for Fordahm with the offer from Cardozo (especially when Cardozo is in a better location). Also, if it makes you feel any better a friend of a friend (I know, reliable source, right?) goes to Cardozo and really likes it.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:30 am

see18 wrote:I agree. I haven't heard from Fordham yet, but I can't imagine paying sticker for Fordahm with the offer from Cardozo (especially when Cardozo is in a better location). Also, if it makes you feel any better a friend of a friend (I know, reliable source, right?) goes to Cardozo and really likes it.

whattttt? You're trying to be logical, but you're not. If you like Cardozo better just because you do, that's fine. Don't try to buff it up with a 3 mile difference that would actually raise your COL.

itsfine

Postby itsfine » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:35 am

sibley wrote:
see18 wrote:I agree. I haven't heard from Fordham yet, but I can't imagine paying sticker for Fordahm with the offer from Cardozo (especially when Cardozo is in a better location). Also, if it makes you feel any better a friend of a friend (I know, reliable source, right?) goes to Cardozo and really likes it.

whattttt? You're trying to be logical, but you're not. If you like Cardozo better just because you do, that's fine. Don't try to buff it up with a 3 mile difference that would actually raise your COL.

buffing it up for whatever reason you want is fine...when you try to make a point buffing up your side of the argument is exactly what you want to do...and despite it being a three mile difference, thats stilla legitimate difference to the point where you wudnt go to cardozo from fordham on a whim,so its not negligible...and if you try to make the argument that lincoln center is as good as greenwich village, then ur insane and are in agreement with about 10 percent of people of manhattan, and thats being conservative.
ur claim that he isnt logical is stupid, what if his only concern is location? then he may not be smart, but hes logical.

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:13 am

So those of you that received your decisions already,

did your status checker change before you got your notice? I've been sitting on "complete and under review" since 12/8

I really hope they come through with some money for me (3.1 [science major at UNC-CH]/169/Peace Corps)

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:15 am

Just to contribute to the Cardozo/Fordham question, don't forget that Fordham is the clear way to go if you're interested in biglaw. The most recent numbers show Fordham # 17 in the nation for NJ250 recruitment. Cardozo is not anywhere near that percentage, and according to the TLS profile it's the top 10- 15% that have a shot at jobs through OCI (the predominant way to get biglaw)

you'll see that Fordham, even in times of crisis, is catching up with the big NYC names in terms of biglaw. (percentage for was 43.7% )

here's the article http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1

Not to bash dozo, I think a free eduction is a great deal and the school has made big steps to becoming a feeder for all types of employers, but the odds for biglaw seem MUCH better with Fordham (just bringing this up cause the vast majority of TLSers seem to be interested in such a career)

see18

Postby see18 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:35 am

SanBun wrote:Just to contribute to the Cardozo/Fordham question, don't forget that Fordham is the clear way to go if you're interested in biglaw. The most recent numbers show Fordham # 17 in the nation for NJ250 recruitment. Cardozo is not anywhere near that percentage, and according to the TLS profile it's the top 10- 15% that have a shot at jobs through OCI (the predominant way to get biglaw)

you'll see that Fordham, even in times of crisis, is catching up with the big NYC names in terms of biglaw. (percentage for was 43.7% )

Not to bash dozo, I think a free eduction is a great deal and the school has made big steps to becoming a feeder for all types of employers, but the odds for biglaw seem MUCH better with Fordham (just bringing this up cause the vast majority of TLSers seem to be interested in such a career)

That's from graduates in 2008, and right now with hiring down, even schools like Cornell have seen a drop off in OCI, so paying sticker for Fordham would not, IMO, be worth it. In three or four years, hiring should be up, but I wouldn't accrue 150K in debt without the certainty of big law.

http://www.businessinsider.com/somethin ... ams-2010-1

Times are changing, and considering that, $$$ at a school that still does prove to have good job placing should be a serious consideration.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:45 am

see18 wrote:
SanBun wrote:Just to contribute to the Cardozo/Fordham question, don't forget that Fordham is the clear way to go if you're interested in biglaw. The most recent numbers show Fordham # 17 in the nation for NJ250 recruitment. Cardozo is not anywhere near that percentage, and according to the TLS profile it's the top 10- 15% that have a shot at jobs through OCI (the predominant way to get biglaw)

That's from graduates in 2008, and right now with hiring down, even schools like Cornell have seen a drop off in OCI, so paying sticker for Fordham would not, IMO, be worth it. In three or four years, hiring should be up, but I wouldn't accrue 150K in debt without the certainty of big law.

Times are changing, and considering that, $$$ at a school that still does prove to have good job placing should be a serious consideration.

well yeah, all schools are gonna take a hit, including Fordham and Cardozo, but based on the numbers from 2008 it's obvious that the two have thus far established a rapport w/ biglaw that's very different, i.e. with Fordham being exceptionally well regarded. 17/20 nationally with 43.7% biglaw is still very different from 10-15% getting jobs through OCI. Even if both of them drop by, say half, Fordham would still be in significantly better shape relative to dozo.

As for certainty of biglaw, you never have that. Say you graduate from Stanford, your likelihood of biglaw is still "only" 56.3% based on the 2008 #. All you can do is look at the odds, never can you be certain of getting that 160k job. Still, if your odds are 43.7% v. 10-15% your risk is much lower when you take out that loan, and the remaining uncertainty just may be worth it for people dreaming of big law- that's something everyone has to decide for themselves.

Hey, I am all for getting a scholly! Don't get me wrong. But if someone considers dozo dreaming to practice biglaw, they need to know that schools like Fordham are gonna weather the crisis starting from a significantly stronger foundation (don't know if the person asking wanted biglaw, but this information is still useful for others in a similar situation)

see18

Postby see18 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:45 pm

SanBun wrote:
see18 wrote:

well yeah, all schools are gonna take a hit, including Fordham and Cardozo, but based on the numbers from 2008 it's obvious that the two have thus far established a rapport w/ biglaw that's very different, i.e. with Fordham being exceptionally well regarded. 17/20 nationally with 43.7% biglaw is still very different from 10-15% getting jobs through OCI. Even if both of them drop by, say half, Fordham would still be in significantly better shape relative to dozo.

As for certainty of biglaw, you never have that. Say you graduate from Stanford, your likelihood of biglaw is still "only" 56.3% based on the 2008 #. All you can do is look at the odds, never can you be certain of getting that 160k job. Still, if your odds are 43.7% v. 10-15% your risk is much lower when you take out that loan, and the remaining uncertainty just may be worth it for people dreaming of big law- that's something everyone has to decide for themselves.

Hey, I am all for getting a scholly! Don't get me wrong. But if someone considers dozo dreaming to practice biglaw, they need to know that schools like Fordham are gonna weather the crisis starting from a significantly stronger foundation (don't know the person asking wanted biglaw, but this information is still useful for others in a similar situation)

Point taken, and agreed. I'm not really looking for big law, so for me saving money is the better option. If you really want big law, then the best school you get into is obviously the best option.

SanBun

Postby SanBun » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:16 pm

see18 wrote:Point taken, and agreed. I'm not really looking for big law, so for me saving money is the better option. If you really want big law, then the best school you get into is obviously the best option.

oh wow, I never actually expect to 'win' an argument with TLSers, since you guys are all super smart. haha cool thanks :)

no but I def hear what you're saying, I'm almost certain that PI law is a better fit for me and dozo is therefore really high on my list- 3 yrs no strings+ stipend+ downtown location = AWESOMENESS!!

ZXCVBNM

Postby ZXCVBNM » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:26 pm

js87 wrote:
itsfine wrote:

Thanks. My retake LSAT was 171, GPA is 3.75. Good softs, but nothing spectacular. Graduated from a no-name state university in a state not known for its academic prowess :p

with those numbers you should go to NYU or Columbia in which case the scholly at cardozo is not worth it.

see18

Postby see18 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:23 pm

itsfine wrote:
sibley wrote:

buffing it up for whatever reason you want is fine...when you try to make a point buffing up your side of the argument is exactly what you want to do...and despite it being a three mile difference, thats stilla legitimate difference to the point where you wudnt go to cardozo from fordham on a whim,so its not negligible...and if you try to make the argument that lincoln center is as good as greenwich village, then ur insane and are in agreement with about 10 percent of people of manhattan, and thats being conservative.
ur claim that he isnt logical is stupid, what if his only concern is location? then he may not be smart, but hes logical.

Haha, I'm a girl, not a he, btw. But thanks for defending my point. I didn't find the need to defend it since there was absolutely no argument against anything I said (just a "whattttt?" which is not an argument, more like an ad hominen, which won't get you far). The majority of people will need to network to get jobs, and for networking, location is key, not that Fordham is a bad location, but finishing at the top at dozo would not put you any worse off than graduating from Fordham. It all depends on what you want to do, where you want to work, and where their alumni are placed.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:49 pm

see18 wrote:
itsfine wrote:
sibley wrote:
see18 wrote:Haha, I'm a girl, not a he, btw.

They always think I'm male too. Even when my avatar was fish with a castle. And you're right, it wasn't an argument. I just wanted to make sure you weren't attempting to pull it off as pure logic (not because I think TLS has some right to accuracy, just because I think you have the right to not have any blinders on during your cycle). I'm all for going to a school based on the 'softs.'

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”