see18 wrote: SanBun wrote:
Just to contribute to the Cardozo/Fordham question, don't forget that Fordham is the clear way to go if you're interested in biglaw. The most recent numbers show Fordham # 17 in the nation for NJ250 recruitment. Cardozo is not anywhere near that percentage, and according to the TLS profile it's the top 10- 15% that have a shot at jobs through OCI (the predominant way to get biglaw)
you'll see that Fordham, even in times of crisis, is catching up with the big NYC names in terms of biglaw. (percentage for was 43.7% )
here's the article http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... hbxlogin=1
Not to bash dozo, I think a free eduction is a great deal and the school has made big steps to becoming a feeder for all types of employers, but the odds for biglaw seem MUCH better with Fordham (just bringing this up cause the vast majority of TLSers seem to be interested in such a career)
That's from graduates in 2008, and right now with hiring down, even schools like Cornell have seen a drop off in OCI, so paying sticker for Fordham would not, IMO, be worth it. In three or four years, hiring should be up, but I wouldn't accrue 150K in debt without the certainty of big law. http://www.businessinsider.com/somethin ... ams-2010-1
Times are changing, and considering that, $$$ at a school that still does prove to have good job placing should be a serious consideration.
well yeah, all schools are gonna take a hit, including Fordham and Cardozo, but based on the numbers from 2008 it's obvious that the two have thus far established a rapport w/ biglaw that's very different, i.e. with Fordham being exceptionally well regarded. 17/20 nationally with 43.7% biglaw is still very different from 10-15% getting jobs through OCI. Even if both of them drop by, say half, Fordham would still be in significantly better shape relative to dozo.
As for certainty of biglaw, you never have that. Say you graduate from Stanford, your likelihood of biglaw is still "only" 56.3% based on the 2008 #. All you can do is look at the odds, never can you be certain of getting that 160k job. Still, if your odds are 43.7% v. 10-15% your risk is much lower when you take out that loan, and the remaining uncertainty just may be worth it for people dreaming of big law- that's something everyone has to decide for themselves.
Hey, I am all for getting a scholly! Don't get me wrong. But if
someone considers dozo dreaming to practice biglaw, they need to know that schools like Fordham are gonna weather the crisis starting from a significantly stronger foundation (don't know if the person asking wanted biglaw, but this information is still useful for others in a similar situation)