Cardozo 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lshopeful3232

New

Re: Cardozo 2010

Post by lshopeful3232 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:59 pm

b.j. wrote:What is going on? It's been almost a month and I am still under review. Presumably, they've sent out a bunch of decisions before I even went complete, and even more after that. Even with a supposed surge in applications, if they've made a lot of decisions, and my numbers aren't that great, what could be taking so damn long? Are they really considering me or just jerking me along?

hahah i was under review for almost 2.5 months! although it doesnt seem like they have any rhyme or reason to the order of their decisions and they are going to have to give your decision soon i assume.

if you are basing this off of your status checker i assume under review doesnt really mean much at all

NervousInKC

Bronze

Post by NervousInKC » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:02 pm

b.j. wrote:
NervousInKC wrote:Wow, I had no idea that people who applied in March already had decisions. I applied in Jan. and have been complete since very early Feb. and still no word yet. I wonder if this is a good or bad thing?
What are your stats?

My numbers would indicate that I have a very low chance of getting into this school. That said, after finally being complete and under review on 3/31 or 4/1 (the status checker says 4/1, but perhaps they just updated it the day before, when they finally got the last form), I'm still in review. It's been 23 days since they supposedly started reviewing my application. I'm aware that there has been a huge increase in the number of applicants, but I applied later than most people. And like I said, my numbers don't give me a great shot, so if they wanted to reject me, they could gave done it pretty quickly, just like Villanova did. Hell, even if the processing of decisions is running a little bit behind, would it really be running so far behind that it would take an additional two weeks after a decision was made to let me know, assuming the decision was made quickly? Or maybe, just maybe, they haven't even read it yet.

[knock on wood]All things considered, I have to believe I have a shot. Based on what I said just above, what else could be the cause for delay?
I would like to believe that this delay means there is a chance, but honestly I'm not sure they've even read my application like you said. Although they claim to give each application much time and consideration, I don't think it takes almost 3 months. I'll PM you my stats.

evilgenius

Bronze

Post by evilgenius » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:06 pm

Jomper87 wrote:Has anybody on this site succesfully negotiated with Cardozo to receive more money or any money at all through scholarships?
I was able to negotiate for a significant increase - from under $10K to almost full tuition.

Edit: I guess I should add that my numbers definitely weren't very competitive so I didn't receive additional merit aid. I received a need based grant. The good thing about this grant is that it doesn't have the GPA requirements of their merit scholarships.
Last edited by evilgenius on Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:07 pm

evilgenius wrote:
Jomper87 wrote:Has anybody on this site succesfully negotiated with Cardozo to receive more money or any money at all through scholarships?
I was able to negotiate for a significant increase - from under $10K to almost full tuition.
how'd you get them to get rid of the strings?

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:10 pm

lshopeful3232 wrote:
b.j. wrote:What is going on? It's been almost a month and I am still under review. Presumably, they've sent out a bunch of decisions before I even went complete, and even more after that. Even with a supposed surge in applications, if they've made a lot of decisions, and my numbers aren't that great, what could be taking so damn long? Are they really considering me or just jerking me along?

hahah i was under review for almost 2.5 months! although it doesnt seem like they have any rhyme or reason to the order of their decisions and they are going to have to give your decision soon i assume.

if you are basing this off of your status checker i assume under review doesnt really mean much at all
I can understand how it might take longer than it has been taking if I wasn't almost May. But besides that, other schools, like Villanova, told me I was under review and made a decision, which was a rejection, in about a week. Even higher ranked schools, like Washington & Lee, seemed to take less time, and that was during a likely busier time of review.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

evilgenius

Bronze

Post by evilgenius » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:16 pm

sibley wrote:
evilgenius wrote:
I contacted the admissions office initially and they directed me to the office of student finance. The additional $ is need based. Need based grants don't come with a GPA requirement, but I'm guessing that there is a requirement that one is eligible for financial aid.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:19 pm

evilgenius wrote:
sibley wrote:
evilgenius wrote:
I contacted the admissions office initially and they directed me to the office of student finance. The additional $ is need based. Need based grants don't come with a GPA requirement, but I'm guessing that there is a requirement that one is eligible for financial aid.
hm. since i got 30k in scholarship they wouldn't give me any need-based (but they made it seem like it would be that way no matter how small the scholly)

Jomper87

New

Post by Jomper87 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:06 am

Hey I thought that the maximum grants that Cardozo gave out was 5,000.
I can't believe that Cardozo didn't give 170 a full ride. That's a very solid score.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:57 am

Jomper87 wrote:Hey I thought that the maximum grants that Cardozo gave out was 5,000.
I can't believe that Cardozo didn't give 170 a full ride. That's a very solid score.
hence me ditching them =/ I originally went into this thinking I'd rather go for debt-free than prestige. but no one gave me a full ride (except for I guess brooklyn, after I withdrew) so I've changed my thinking.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:39 pm

sibley wrote:
Jomper87 wrote:Hey I thought that the maximum grants that Cardozo gave out was 5,000.
hence me ditching them =/ I originally went into this thinking I'd rather go for debt-free than prestige. but no one gave me a full ride (except for I guess brooklyn, after I withdrew) so I've changed my thinking.
Hey, Sibley, have you officially given up on Cardozo and withdrawn?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:52 pm

badpixie wrote:
sibley wrote:
Hey, Sibley, have you officially given up on Cardozo and withdrawn?
I've officially given up. I haven't withdrawn but I think the deposit was already due so... I pretty much did.

orange_ava

New

Post by orange_ava » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:03 pm

evilgenius wrote:
sibley wrote:
evilgenius wrote:
Evil will you be attending Cardozo or are you still debating between RU and Cardozo? I thought I saw you post this somewhere.

evilgenius

Bronze

Post by evilgenius » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:18 pm

orange_ava wrote:
Evil will you be attending Cardozo or are you still debating between RU and Cardozo? I thought I saw you post this somewhere.
It was between WUSTL and Cardozo for awhile. But yes, unless I miraculously get off of Fordham's wait list, I'll be attending Cardozo.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:25 pm

I am still pending...no information either way, it sucks!

rw2188

New

Post by rw2188 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:44 pm

trialjunky wrote:I am still pending...no information either way, it sucks!

I dont know, have you checked on your application?
I have been calling them more frequently than any other law school. and I was able to squeeze ut from the woman where they are in the application process....

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:49 pm

rw2188 wrote:

I have been calling them more frequently than any other law school. and I was able to squeeze ut from the woman where they are in the application process....

Everytime I call they say they're reviewing it.

itsfine

Bronze

Post by itsfine » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:09 pm

I know this was posted before a while ago, but im curious to see if anyone new has anything to say....but is anyone really really turned off by the scholarship stipulations? I'm not completely decided on Cardozo for the sole reason that scholarship stipulations within one year can have you go from receiving full tuition to paying full tuition..not really what I want looming over me during my 1L. I know scholarship stipulations are a must bc a school cant guarantee all of them, but 45,000 is a lot of money to lose in one year, as opposed to say a 5k scholarship where I dont think I would be too upset over it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:51 am

trialjunky wrote:
rw2188 wrote:

The last time I called, which I believe was Tuesday, I was told they didn't reveal anything over the phone, so I send them an e-mail, which they used to tell me I was still in review. Which is exactly what the status checker tells me. It's sort of annoying, but then again, it's been over two months at St. John's.

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:34 am

b.j. wrote:
trialjunky wrote:
rw2188 wrote:

The last time I called, which I believe was Tuesday, I was told they didn't reveal anything over the phone, so I send them an e-mail, which they used to tell me I was still in review. Which is exactly what the status checker tells me. It's sort of annoying, but then again, it's been over two months at St. John's.
I've pretty much given up hope of it. I guess we'll find out soon enough but it feels more like never.

rw2188

New

Post by rw2188 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:00 am

I've pretty much given up hope of it. I guess we'll find out soon enough but it feels more like never.[/quote]

nonono! dont give up hope. please realize that they only have 7 ppl on the committee and they are still knee deep in reviewing May Program applications.

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Mon May 03, 2010 1:09 am

This may sound like a stupid question, but how do you pronounce Dean Martinidez's last name? I want to call him to ask a question, and I don't want to mispronounce his name. TIA!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon May 03, 2010 7:51 am

badpixie wrote:This may sound like a stupid question, but how do you pronounce Dean Martinidez's last name? I want to call him to ask a question, and I don't want to mispronounce his name. TIA!!

it's just like martinez, but squeeze in an 'id' right there. so... mar-teen-ih-dez.

e10

New

Post by e10 » Mon May 03, 2010 2:05 pm

Status changed today to "Decision rendered and sent" this means it's a rejection, correct?

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Mon May 03, 2010 2:34 pm

e10 wrote:Status changed today to "Decision rendered and sent" this means it's a rejection, correct?
Not sure. My status changed to "Decision rendered and sent" after I received an email advising that my app was on hold.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Mon May 03, 2010 7:31 pm

e10 wrote:Status changed today to "Decision rendered and sent" this means it's a rejection, correct?
Maybe, but perhaps not. Wouldn't it be nice if they all subscribed to a uniform way of informing you of their decision? I mean, we're adults, and hopefully can handle what happens.

That said, they are still reviewing mine, or so I think based on what the status checker says. The fact that I got a rejection letter from St. John's after being in review for months doesn't give me any confidence.

What are your numbers?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”