Cardozo 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
goodolgil

Re: Cardozo 2010

Postby goodolgil » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:13 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:I have auto-admit numbers and have not heard a peep. Cardozo don't YP, do they?

Don't think so, but I also doubt 180s are their top priority in terms of speediness of sending out acceptance calls. I'm sure you'll get the stipend offer though.

motloe

Postby motloe » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:25 pm

[quote="BaiAilian2013"]I have auto-admit numbers and have not heard a peep. Cardoz
+1 Mine says complete 10/24 how about you?

motloe

Postby motloe » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:26 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:I have auto-admit numbers and have not heard a peep. Cardozo don't YP, do they?

+1 complete 10/24 how about you?

weebleswobble

Postby weebleswobble » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:33 pm

IN at cardozo via phone call. $40,000/year scholly too... not a bad wednesday. :o)

js87

Postby js87 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:34 pm

Just got the call -- in with a guaranteed three year full scholarship, plus a guaranteed spot in housing.

It's pretty amazing knowing I can go to law school for free. The more amazing part: last year I applied with a low 160's LSAT score and was waitlisted, and subsequently admitted to the summer start program. I visited the school and loved it. The vertical campus has beautiful facilities and is in a great location. But I did not want to go 150k (or more, with living expenses) in debt.

I took the year off despite the protests of my parents. I retook the LSAT, raised my score significantly, and reapplied this year. Now I'm in with a full scholarship. The fact remains that taking a year off, retaking the LSAT, and reapplying can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, accounting for interest on loans, and the invaluable feeling of financial freedom.

If anyone is unhappy with their options this year, keep my story in mind.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:40 pm

In via phone call with full tuition!!! Tempting since it's literally just blocks away from my apartment...

motloe

Postby motloe » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:42 pm

did anyone get in that their status checker says complete 10/24?

LiveFree

Postby LiveFree » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:46 pm

Have any May program applicants been accepted/heard anything???

FromRussiaWithLove

Postby FromRussiaWithLove » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:51 pm

js87 wrote:Just got the call -- in with a guaranteed three year full scholarship, plus a guaranteed spot in housing.

It's pretty amazing knowing I can go to law school for free. The more amazing part: last year I applied with a low 160's LSAT score and was waitlisted, and subsequently admitted to the summer start program. I visited the school and loved it. The vertical campus has beautiful facilities and is in a great location. But I did not want to go 150k (or more, with living expenses) in debt.

I took the year off despite the protests of my parents. I retook the LSAT, raised my score significantly, and reapplied this year. Now I'm in with a full scholarship. The fact remains that taking a year off, retaking the LSAT, and reapplying can be worth hundreds of thousands of dollars, accounting for interest on loans, and the invaluable feeling of financial freedom.

If anyone is unhappy with their options this year, keep my story in mind.

You and I have much in common. I also only got into the summer program last year. I visited the school and loved it, but was bummed that no money is ever given to the summer kids. Took a year off while parents bitched that I probably wouldn't even go back to school if I didn't go that year. Ended up with a full ride at GW. Go figure...

I wholeheartedly second the fact that a year off can mean over 100,000 dollars in the end.

BaiAilian2013

Postby BaiAilian2013 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:13 pm

motloe wrote:

Yep, complete and under review 10/24.

S de Garmeaux

Postby S de Garmeaux » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:15 pm

tracking this thread, i feel like im 13 waiting for some girl to call back that never did

Terp22

Postby Terp22 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:50 pm

sdegarmo wrote:tracking this thread, i feel like im 13 waiting for some girl to call back that never did

Agreed

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:28 pm

Just out of curiousity, if someone with a super high lsat--like let's say 172 or something, which is considerably high for cardozo--applied to summer or january and stated they would only attend with a scholarship, do you think they'd bite? I don't have that score, but just wondering...

I applied for May because of my weak gpa. My lsat is just ok--161--but I am retaking in feb to either up my chances at schools or get more money from schools I've been accepted to. That said, if I did get a significantly higher score, I am wondering if they'd care enough to offer money for may. I also wonder if one would be in a better position with money at cardozo or sticker at fordham. There's a pretty huge gap in rankings, but freedom from debt seems nice. At the moment, I am a weak candidate at either school, but..curious as to how people would choose between the two

motloe

Postby motloe » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:38 pm

BaiAilian2013 wrote:
motloe wrote:

alright maybe there saving us for something special

FromRussiaWithLove

Postby FromRussiaWithLove » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:49 am

goosey wrote:Just out of curiousity, if someone with a super high lsat--like let's say 172 or something, which is considerably high for cardozo--applied to summer or january and stated they would only attend with a scholarship, do you think they'd bite? I don't have that score, but just wondering...

I applied for May because of my weak gpa. My lsat is just ok--161--but I am retaking in feb to either up my chances at schools or get more money from schools I've been accepted to. That said, if I did get a significantly higher score, I am wondering if they'd care enough to offer money for may. I also wonder if one would be in a better position with money at cardozo or sticker at fordham. There's a pretty huge gap in rankings, but freedom from debt seems nice. At the moment, I am a weak candidate at either school, but..curious as to how people would choose between the two

I was told by both the admissions staff and the financial aid staff that students entering the May part time program are not given ANY merit scholarships. The cap for the need based grant at Cardozo is $5,000 per year. This means that, as a May student, you will be footing almost the entirety of your education costs (via federal loans if your parents don't have that kinda cash on hand).

If you start in January, however, you are eligible for merit money. This is not considered PT anymore, though. You are actually squeezing your 1L year into one semester and a summer. Don't know what kind of numbers are required to get in, but I am inclined to think that they are more like the RD numbers and not the PT numbers.

One guy at the financial aid office said that there have been "very rare" instances in which one who initially started in the May program received some merit money their 2nd and 3rd year because of stellar achievement. Honestly, I think he was not telling the truth. He seemed to be discouraging me from relying on this being a possibility.

I would not recommend Cardozo at sticker to anyone. This is especially true because of their LSAT whoring nature. Check LSN. Everyone with a decent LSAT gets a full ride. If you really want to go to Cardozo, retake and go for free.

My .02

moonshine

Postby moonshine » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:10 am

motloe wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
motloe wrote:

alright maybe there saving us for something special

+1 complete 10/24...

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:55 am

10/24 here too

mes2010

Postby mes2010 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:00 am

i'm 11/4...

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:26 pm

FromRussiaWithLove wrote:
goosey wrote:Just out of curiousity, if someone with a super high lsat--like let's say 172 or something, which is considerably high for cardozo--applied to summer or january and stated they would only attend with a scholarship, do you think they'd bite? I don't have that score, but just wondering...

I was told by both the admissions staff and the financial aid staff that students entering the May part time program are not given ANY merit scholarships. The cap for the need based grant at Cardozo is $5,000 per year. This means that, as a May student, you will be footing almost the entirety of your education costs (via federal loans if your parents don't have that kinda cash on hand).

If you start in January, however, you are eligible for merit money. This is not considered PT anymore, though. You are actually squeezing your 1L year into one semester and a summer. Don't know what kind of numbers are required to get in, but I am inclined to think that they are more like the RD numbers and not the PT numbers.

One guy at the financial aid office said that there have been "very rare" instances in which one who initially started in the May program received some merit money their 2nd and 3rd year because of stellar achievement. Honestly, I think he was not telling the truth. He seemed to be discouraging me from relying on this being a possibility.

I would not recommend Cardozo at sticker to anyone. This is especially true because of their LSAT whoring nature. Check LSN. Everyone with a decent LSAT gets a full ride. If you really want to go to Cardozo, retake and go for free.

My .02

thanks for the info. that makes a lot of sense. I guess I will just wait it out and see what my retake score is. Hopefully by the time scores come in (feb 26th I think) it wont be too late to be considered for Fall

FromRussiaWithLove

Postby FromRussiaWithLove » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:31 pm

Sounds like a good plan.

Good luck goosey!

goosey

Postby goosey » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:35 pm

FromRussiaWithLove wrote:Sounds like a good plan.

Good luck goosey!

thanks! same to u!

sjedood

Postby sjedood » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:36 pm

Has anyone gotten a decision who applied in December?

jkc939

Postby jkc939 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:31 pm

I applied to both as well, and was already rejected from Fordham (LSAT 162) Both schools will take you to very good places but I don't think you can really pass up Fordham if accepted. I have heard that they are working very hard to move up the rankings into the top 15/20 schools in the country, and cardozo is still a great program but not at that level.

deadatheist

Postby deadatheist » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:38 pm

goosey wrote:
FromRussiaWithLove wrote:

My .02

thanks for the info. that makes a lot of sense. I guess I will just wait it out and see what my retake score is. Hopefully by the time scores come in (feb 26th I think) it wont be too late to be considered for Fall

fwiw, if you're interested in pt you can apply for some public interest scholar program and get an extra 5k scholarship, which with the merit scholarship takes 10k off your first year. and look into 2ls and 3ls who made law review, top (x?)% in their class... pretty sure they also get some form of merit scholarship/aid. but obviously you can't beat a full ride, however there are ways to lessen the massive debt bit by bit if you are set on may entry. (i too decided last year cardozo at full price was just not for me: and i was admitted to both pt and then ft)

good luck

slowmo2385

Postby slowmo2385 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:49 pm

moonshine wrote:
BaiAilian2013 wrote:
motloe wrote:

+1 complete 10/24...

Joining the club; still nothing.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”