Cardozo 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NervousInKC

Re: Cardozo 2010

Postby NervousInKC » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:44 pm

For those of you that recently went DR, when did you go complete? I really need to hear from Cardozo soon for it to be a realistic option. I don't want to go broke from dropping too much $$ on seat deposits!

jjmartin

Postby jjmartin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:30 pm

um08 wrote:
jjmartin wrote:
mailmanstalker wrote:
joshlyman wrote:did everybody on the waitlist receive that email about restating interest in admission or was it a letter sent to only a portion of people?

I got it

I got it too...which was weird because I only entered the wait list 5 days before... I also am wondering how soon I will hear back on the may-entry program because I have seat deposits coming up on the 15th...

Were you waitlisted for Fall or May-entry?

Sorry for not clearing that up...I was wait listed for Fall but in my EMOCI (e-mail of continued interest) I stated that I would also like to be considered for the May-entry too.

goingoingone

Postby goingoingone » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:01 pm

Just sent in my withdrawal. Good luck!

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:36 pm

what kinda numbers do you need to get into Cardozo? I have 3.25 GPA like low to mid 160s?

crm

Postby crm » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:52 am

jarofsoup wrote:what kinda numbers do you need to get into Cardozo? I have 3.25 GPA like low to mid 160s?

with a 3.25 I say at the very least a 165/6, but I think they are going to get even more tough next year..check out lawschoolnumbers.com, that will give you a better indication

sundance88

Postby sundance88 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:18 am

I'm restating what someone else wrote earlier : for those who are attending, where are you thinking of staying? The admitted student website now has housing options up. From those estimates, a 2 bedroom share costs around 1600-1700/month ish.

Does anyone think not living in the Alabama will detract from meeting friends socially in a significant way? I've already looked into housing around the Greenwich village area, and I've seen some pretty nice studios for around 1600-1700, only you don't have to pay that price to also share it with someone else. the only thing deterring me from finding off campus housing asap is I don't want to feel like I'm "missing out" on anything by not living in the school given housing the first year. any current students have any input? any incoming students decided on housing? - what are your plans?

pleaseadmitme

Postby pleaseadmitme » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:10 pm

I don't think that by not living in the Alabama you will be missing out. I've heard it's not that great of a place to live, and that most people want to move out after a year. Also, most of the people who live there are from out of town and didn't really know how to find a place in NYC, so they choose to live there instead. When I went on a tour of campus the guide said a lot of people live elsewhere, so I wouldn't be concerned :).

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:34 pm

Does anyone know if admissions is open today? I believe the school itself is still closed for Passover. Just want to know if there's any point to my obsessive status-checking today.

rw2188

Postby rw2188 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:10 pm

Yep. still closed until tomorrow.
I am waitlisted for fall 2010 but also responded for EOCI. I wrote them an addendum and plan on sending a letter come 4/15 (when the deadline for seat deposits are due).

I just heard from a friend that a colleague got off the waitlist by sending flowers to the admissions office late july and it worked-- i dont think i'll pursue that.
any ideas on how to stand out on the waitlist?

dgb87

Postby dgb87 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:39 pm

sundance88 wrote:I'm restating what someone else wrote earlier : for those who are attending, where are you thinking of staying? The admitted student website now has housing options up. From those estimates, a 2 bedroom share costs around 1600-1700/month ish.

Does anyone think not living in the Alabama will detract from meeting friends socially in a significant way? I've already looked into housing around the Greenwich village area, and I've seen some pretty nice studios for around 1600-1700, only you don't have to pay that price to also share it with someone else. the only thing deterring me from finding off campus housing asap is I don't want to feel like I'm "missing out" on anything by not living in the school given housing the first year. any current students have any input? any incoming students decided on housing? - what are your plans?

I doubt you will have any trouble meeting friends, I'm sure you will meet plenty of people in your section! Also, there are MUCH better deals for share apt's other places in the city. If you want to stay in Manhattan you should look into the Financial District, or Stuytown/other stuff in the east village. You can find some really good deals on craigslist etc. Also, Brooklyn is not a bad option. Cardozo is in a really great area to get to from pretty much any train and if I can save about $600 a month by have a 30 minute subway commute everyday, I think it's worth it!

To give you an example, my two roommates and I are looking into sharing a flex 2 (a one bedroom converted to a 2 bedroom) in the Financial District. Two of us will be law students, and we will probably only be paying around $900 per person. I will prob have about a 20 minute commute but I will save a ton of money by not living in the Alabama...

chocho

Postby chocho » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:27 pm

dgb87 wrote:
sundance88 wrote:I'm restating what someone else wrote earlier : for those who are attending, where are you thinking of staying? The admitted student website now has housing options up. From those estimates, a 2 bedroom share costs around 1600-1700/month ish.

I doubt you will have any trouble meeting friends, I'm sure you will meet plenty of people in your section! Also, there are MUCH better deals for share apt's other places in the city. If you want to stay in Manhattan you should look into the Financial District, or Stuytown/other stuff in the east village. You can find some really good deals on craigslist etc. Also, Brooklyn is not a bad option. Cardozo is in a really great area to get to from pretty much any train and if I can save about $600 a month by have a 30 minute subway commute everyday, I think it's worth it!

To give you an example, my two roommates and I are looking into sharing a flex 2 (a one bedroom converted to a 2 bedroom) in the Financial District. Two of us will be law students, and we will probably only be paying around $900 per person. I will prob have about a 20 minute commute but I will save a ton of money by not living in the Alabama...

Yeah, I am from NYC so I think the idea that many people who live in the Alabama do so because they are not from the area is accurate bc in that case, it takes a lot of pressure off of finding a place to live in an area they are not familiar with. I'm most likely going to find a place in brooklyn ( Brooklyn Heights, downtown brooklyn, or park slope) or hoboken NJ. 1600-1700 a month is just so expensive even if you have a full scholarship, and you won't have much of an apartment.

crm

Postby crm » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:37 pm

Deposit sent today..

sundance88

Postby sundance88 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:50 am

Can anyone comment on the crime rate around our school? I know Cardozo is in a great location in manhattan and living in greenwich village is probably a pretty safe neighborhood, but I'm moving to nyc from california and I'm so use to going out at 9:30pm or 10 w/o a care in the world or fear of getting mugged etc. I've been looking into housing within a 1 mile radius of our school such as on 14/15/16 street to the north and 8/9/11th street to the south. How safe are these blocks? Is there a certain time after which I should be more careful when walking home from the library or taking subways/buses. Also, how much of a difference (in terms of safety) does having an apartment with a doorman make?

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:31 am

sundance88 wrote:Can anyone comment on the crime rate around our school? I know Cardozo is in a great location in manhattan and living in greenwich village is probably a pretty safe neighborhood, but I'm moving to nyc from california and I'm so use to going out at 9:30pm or 10 w/o a care in the world or fear of getting mugged etc. I've been looking into housing within a 1 mile radius of our school such as on 14/15/16 street to the north and 8/9/11th street to the south. How safe are these blocks? Is there a certain time after which I should be more careful when walking home from the library or taking subways/buses. Also, how much of a difference (in terms of safety) does having an apartment with a doorman make?

I can't speak to the neighborhood individually since I don't know much about them, but I don't see a reason for you to be worried going out any time before midnight around Cardozo. After midnight all I suspect is unhoused persons with confused sleep schedules might be about, or drunk people... who are annoying.

ericng314

Postby ericng314 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:48 am

The area is basically the East Village. It's pretty safe IMO. I live near the Meatpacking District in public housing; now that area is ghetto LOL. But yeah, the area is very safe around the Alabama / Cardozo area. A lot of people are always around the Union Square area. So no need to worry.

chocho

Postby chocho » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:09 pm

yeah you dont need to worry about that stuff.

dgb87

Postby dgb87 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:51 pm

sundance88 wrote:Can anyone comment on the crime rate around our school? I know Cardozo is in a great location in manhattan and living in greenwich village is probably a pretty safe neighborhood, but I'm moving to nyc from california and I'm so use to going out at 9:30pm or 10 w/o a care in the world or fear of getting mugged etc. I've been looking into housing within a 1 mile radius of our school such as on 14/15/16 street to the north and 8/9/11th street to the south. How safe are these blocks? Is there a certain time after which I should be more careful when walking home from the library or taking subways/buses. Also, how much of a difference (in terms of safety) does having an apartment with a doorman make?

I lived in the area for a few months, and I found it to be safer than most areas. To the southeast, you've got the east village/ lower east side, which is really just a bunch of shops, bars, and restaurants filled with hipsters. The lower east side is a little sketchier, and I would definitely recommend staying west of B and north of 1st if you're really concerned about safety. To the north is Union Square, which is one of the safer areas, along with Gramercy Park area. There are always a ton of people out and about. The West village is also typically pretty busy and tends to be safe.

As for whether it's safer to have a doorman, in short, yes it is. However, I haven't lived in a doorman building, and I still feel safe in my 5th floor walk-up, but that's partly b/c I have a dog, and also b/c I don't feel that someone is going to want to walk up 5 flights to steal something from me.

rw2188

Postby rw2188 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:37 pm

dgb87 wrote:

I lived in the area for a few months, and I found it to be safer than most areas. To the southeast, you've got the east village/ lower east side, which is really just a bunch of shops, bars, and restaurants filled with hipsters. The lower east side is a little sketchier, and I would definitely recommend staying west of B and north of 1st if you're really concerned about safety. To the north is Union Square, which is one of the safer areas, along with Gramercy Park area. There are always a ton of people out and about. The West village is also typically pretty busy and tends to be safe.

As for whether it's safer to have a doorman, in short, yes it is. However, I haven't lived in a doorman building, and I still feel safe in my 5th floor walk-up, but that's partly b/c I have a dog, and also b/c I don't feel that someone is going to want to walk up 5 flights to steal something from me.

The only thing you really have to worry about are those crazy NYU undergrad who think the own the neighborhood. If you feel like you wont be safe walking home from the library at midnight, carry Mase with you. I went to Barnard and lived on the border of Harlem-- up there many students were mugged for their ipods and blackberries.
There is also a hospital right around the corner-- i would be concerned with the searning 4AM ambulance siren right out your window. And when choosing an apartment, if you are sensitive to noise, either buy earplugs or rent a shaft apartment.

I would look on craigslist.org for good deals.

in terms of doorman vs. not, it all depends on if you think the function of the doorman is worthwhile. If you have a package delivered, guests that want to come up, etc, its a good idea that he is your eye of the building. but its going to be more expensive.

Anyone take the tour yet? I taking off work to go tomorrow!

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Withdrew today, good luck all!

Cookie1234

Postby Cookie1234 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:42 pm

hiii everyone i was waitlisted to may 2010 program - does anyone know how many people are typically on the waitlist and how many people get off of it? thanks!

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:08 am

I just withdrew :? . I have (pretty much) decided on Fordham. I hope some of my scholarship money goes to you guys! Good luck!!!

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:53 am

hiii everyone i was waitlisted to may 2010 program - does anyone know how many people are typically on the waitlist and how many people get off of it? thanks!

How did you find out? When were you complete? Mind sharing your numbers?

I'm applying ot the May program too - all the info you have would be very much appreciated!!

NJ914

Postby NJ914 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:38 pm

Finally heard back after submitting everything in early November - got waitlisted. Cardozo's my top choice so I guess it's time to start writing a LOCI and everything.

rw2188

Postby rw2188 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:46 pm

I took the tour on friday with other applicants. Tour guide was a 2L and just ok. If you read the student handbook, its more informative.
I met with an assoc. dean... and it being a friday, couldnt blame her for wantig to get the hell out of there. friday is a SLOW day at this school-- everything is runnng at half-speed.(shoutout to Liat!)

The school is really in the heart of Greenwich village, and it easy walking distance to union sq area, washington sq. park, alphabet city, etc. the street its on has lux apartment bulldings and feels really safe.
the campus is contained in one building-- i LOVE city living!

cmon dozo-- i want you!

dhg5004

Postby dhg5004 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:33 pm

Finally heard back after submitting everything in early November - got waitlisted. Cardozo's my top choice so I guess it's time to start writing a LOCI and everything.

Part time or Full time? Mind sharing your numbers? Thanks!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”