Cardozo 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
flowerpot

Re: Cardozo 2010

Postby flowerpot » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:29 pm

Seriously, I was complete January 13th, they waited over 10 weeks to let me know! I agree with the post above, initially I was sooooo excited about Cardozo but now I have been getting excited about other schools who got back to me sooner... but yes I think I will definitely have to visit!

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:52 pm

flowerpot wrote:IN via phonecall with $25,000 a year! Finally!!!

Many congrats!

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:57 pm

84Sunbird2000 wrote:Got a call from Cardozo offering a full scholarship (contingent upon top 40%). If I had gotten this call 3 weeks ago, I think I would have been ecstatic, but I've been focusing on and allocating my heart to the schools that already offered me acceptances and scholarships that I'm sure I came across as faux-enthusiastic. I just don't know if I have any desire to live and practice in New York. I guess I should visit just to see it and give it a chance.

Congrats!!

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:57 pm

flowerpot wrote:IN via phonecall with $25,000 a year! Finally!!!

Congratulations!!

nickerson

Postby nickerson » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:37 pm

Complete early Feb and still nothing! SO much waiting.

um08

Postby um08 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:48 pm

I like all this action.. has anyone heard anything for May recently?

jman77

Postby jman77 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:56 pm

Held yesterday, withdrew today.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:03 pm

Fwiw a friend of mine is a 1L in the May program now and told me she was accepted into it about 4 days before it started and she said this is not at all uncommon (albeit ridiculous)

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:32 pm

sibley wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=111208

Did I ask people to check this out yet?

I saw it when it was a new thread, but that last post you made is nice. I'm really having doubts right now, and the post you made in this thread is I think helping me a little bit, at least in that I'm trying to make sure my decisions are my own and not overly influenced by this site (I don't want big law, but I want the option).

I'd prefer to be in NYC (I want immigration law, and my bf lives close by when he's not away at school, 6 hours away when he is) but...WashU gave me 11k a year with no strings and the COL could very well make up the difference (12 hour drive from my bf's school, triple priced flight). And some people with lower stats than me and less softs got full rides to Dozo, which makes me unhappy.

Dean Martinidez told me I'd basically have to make my decision with the scholarship I was given, but that if money popped up over the summer he'd consider me for it. But what motivation does the school have to give me more money if I've already put down my deposit and committed to them? I think I'm going to email them asking for smaller strings (I kept hearing current students talking about the Cardozo Curve... so if I can get him to make my stip for full a 3.18 instead I'd feel a lot better).

But here's my other idea... tell me if this is really bad/not allowed/ etc. I'm still waiting to hear from a few schools, but right now it looks like WashU and Cardozo are the best options (I don't want to pay full tuition and actually WashU's the best school I've gotten into so far). So what if I put down seat deposits at both, and tell Cardozo if they improve my offer they'll get me?...

It all depends on if you were accepted to Cardozo May vs. Fall. If fall, I would say absolutely put down both deposits. There is a reason why you pay in two shifts and many schools allow refunds. Holding a seat is not like applying ED to two schools or anythings. I would encourage you to to pay the initial seat deposits, assuming those are just reservations and non-binding., which most of them are. May, on the other hand is $1000 deposit and non-refundable.

You should go to school where you are going to be least distracted by traveling to see your boyfriend too if you get into other schools near him, as long as you aren't giving up some AMAZING opportunity just in case things dont work out between you. A flight is a flight though a far as these two schools go. Wash U is a good school no doubt and 11K there is pretty good for such a reputable school, but is it any more reputable or valued to the area you want to live and practice? How much is rent in St. Louis vs. say a commute from Hoboken? What are risks of losing each scholarship (you have weighed Dozo, have you weighed WashU)? These are little things I would consider, but I do definitely think WashU is a great school and you can't go wrong in absolute & general terms. However, I also do not think that Wash U is clearly and consistently a better choice for everyone and all circumstances than many other schools out there. Depending on where you want to end up, what you think you will be doing, debt willing to take on, lifestyle etc. this could be a tough decision. Do be sure to apply your reasoning...

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

hannah87 wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:
Yeah, I think Fordham is negotiable using Cardozo as leverage. Cardozo attracts students all the time from NYU, Columbia, Fordham with Full rides and no stipulations because that equals a GUARANTEED FREE law school education from a law school that has the third best NY bar passage rate, is an energetic school, and is solidly a Top 50 school in every ranking out there. I mean I personally know how much everyone sucks Fordhams proverbial dick on this website, but to have no debt no matter what and most likely a lot of success if you are a good student, seems like a prudent decision to me. Be cautious about walking in lockstep with TLS USnews obsessed, biglaw myth, 0L's. I would use your judgment and reason here with strong foresight. Chances are you will be in the same job with either school, certainly no worse experience or enriched education at Cardozo that's for sure, and absolutely no risk whatever of ANY debt but for COL (a constant for both schools). That is my advice since you asked for all the advice you can get and I doubt many people on this site would give you such advice based on general observation. BUT, if you can get Fordham to pay 3/4 of your tuition with no stipulation, then its probably worth it. Keep in mind that scholarships and awards go on your resume along with good grades. Having that at Cardozo with whatever else you accomplish is not going to put you below a Fordham student (btw in-debt) barely making top 30% of his/her class, plus the money you save will afford you to drive a new BMW or Boxter that you otherwise wouldn't have for a while. If you go big law, you might as well have no life, but career flexibility, and liquidity as opposed to no life, no choice, and debt.

O, and if you're getting help from rents, negotiate and say you'll go to Dozo if you get half or 3/4 of the difference between the two schools to invest for yourself now. I personally like the security of your situation over the uncertainty of any scholarship from Fordham unless it is of course changed. Also, odds are you're qualified to be 1/4 of your class at Dozo... Which is all you're going to need to be. If you slip there, you were going to slip at Fordham and at least you had full boat. Even if we assume that Fordham allows you to slip to 40% to be picked up by a big firm by graduation, you're telling me that at 40% at Dozo you won't find a job of same caliber 3-6 months later in a totally fluke worse case scenario of a terrible job climate?

As your circumstances stand, my rationale strongly favors Cardozo. That's just me and maybe everyone else on this forum (very likely) disagrees, but I threw it out there for you to consider. I hope you deliberate and use sound judgment so that one way or another this post contributes at least somewhat in making the decision that is best for you.

I get what you're saying here, but if I do choose Fordham, it won't be because of TLS trolls or USNews ranking. I've spoken to a few NYC V100 firm partners who told me without a second thought to take Fordham over Cardozo if I think I want biglaw. And this was before I even knew if I was getting $$ at Fordham. I definitely trust their opinions over any 0L or student here, because they've actually been hiring managers.

That being said, if I knew I wanted PI, I would 100% take the full ride at Cardozo and not look back.

That's good. Everyone is different and some people are influenced by other things. Some people want to mitigate risk even if a bunch of partners and associates say "take Fordham." That's great though that you have made up your mind and it sounds like you have made the decision best for you.

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:33 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:
hannah87 wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:
Yeah, I think Fordham is negotiable using Cardozo as leverage. Cardozo attracts students all the time from NYU, Columbia, Fordham with Full rides and no stipulations because that equals a GUARANTEED FREE law school education from a law school that has the third best NY bar passage rate, is an energetic school, and is solidly a Top 50 school in every ranking out there. I mean I personally know how much everyone sucks Fordhams proverbial dick on this website, but to have no debt no matter what and most likely a lot of success if you are a good student, seems like a prudent decision to me. Be cautious about walking in lockstep with TLS USnews obsessed, biglaw myth, 0L's. I would use your judgment and reason here with strong foresight. Chances are you will be in the same job with either school, certainly no worse experience or enriched education at Cardozo that's for sure, and absolutely no risk whatever of ANY debt but for COL (a constant for both schools). That is my advice since you asked for all the advice you can get and I doubt many people on this site would give you such advice based on general observation. BUT, if you can get Fordham to pay 3/4 of your tuition with no stipulation, then its probably worth it. Keep in mind that scholarships and awards go on your resume along with good grades. Having that at Cardozo with whatever else you accomplish is not going to put you below a Fordham student (btw in-debt) barely making top 30% of his/her class, plus the money you save will afford you to drive a new BMW or Boxter that you otherwise wouldn't have for a while. If you go big law, you might as well have no life, but career flexibility, and liquidity as opposed to no life, no choice, and debt.

O, and if you're getting help from rents, negotiate and say you'll go to Dozo if you get half or 3/4 of the difference between the two schools to invest for yourself now. I personally like the security of your situation over the uncertainty of any scholarship from Fordham unless it is of course changed. Also, odds are you're qualified to be 1/4 of your class at Dozo... Which is all you're going to need to be. If you slip there, you were going to slip at Fordham and at least you had full boat. Even if we assume that Fordham allows you to slip to 40% to be picked up by a big firm by graduation, you're telling me that at 40% at Dozo you won't find a job of same caliber 3-6 months later in a totally fluke worse case scenario of a terrible job climate?

As your circumstances stand, my rationale strongly favors Cardozo. That's just me and maybe everyone else on this forum (very likely) disagrees, but I threw it out there for you to consider. I hope you deliberate and use sound judgment so that one way or another this post contributes at least somewhat in making the decision that is best for you.

I get what you're saying here, but if I do choose Fordham, it won't be because of TLS trolls or USNews ranking. I've spoken to a few NYC V100 firm partners who told me without a second thought to take Fordham over Cardozo if I think I want biglaw. And this was before I even knew if I was getting $$ at Fordham. I definitely trust their opinions over any 0L or student here, because they've actually been hiring managers.

That being said, if I knew I wanted PI, I would 100% take the full ride at Cardozo and not look back.

That's good. Everyone is different and some people are influenced by other things. Some people want to mitigate risk even if a bunch of partners and associates say "take Fordham." That's great though that you have made up your mind and it sounds like you have made the decision best for you.

thanks! i hope you're (we're) right! :D

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:09 pm

I know I applied really late, but I am absolutely dying to hear from Cardozo. I know many of you have been waiting for months, but this has nothing to do with realism and everything to do with my utter lack of patience and inability to focus on anything else while I'm waiting. I received a couple of decisions pretty quickly, so that has blown my original expectation of not hearing anything from anyone for at least 6-8 weeks out of the water.

I am announcing my resignation at work tomorrow (management has known for a couple of weeks), and I'd love to be able to say something other than "I'm still waiting to hear from my top choices, but I know I'm going to school somewhere."

C'mon Cardozo. You know we'd be great together!!

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:57 pm

badpixie wrote:I know I applied really late, but I am absolutely dying to hear from Cardozo. I know many of you have been waiting for months, but this has nothing to do with realism and everything to do with my utter lack of patience and inability to focus on anything else while I'm waiting. I received a couple of decisions pretty quickly, so that has blown my original expectation of not hearing anything from anyone for at least 6-8 weeks out of the water.

I am announcing my resignation at work tomorrow (management has known for a couple of weeks), and I'd love to be able to say something other than "I'm still waiting to hear from my top choices, but I know I'm going to school somewhere."

For a long, long time, my status said incomplete, so I sent them an e-mail. They told me that they need a Dean's form because I answered yes to academic probation. I faxed on into my college; they told me they would send it. Cardozo told me they would attach it to my file. My school never responded about the e-mail to make sure it got there.

I guess I have to call.

um08

Postby um08 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:37 pm

b.j. wrote:
badpixie wrote:I know I applied really late, but I am absolutely dying to hear from Cardozo. I know many of you have been waiting for months, but this has nothing to do with realism and everything to do with my utter lack of patience and inability to focus on anything else while I'm waiting. I received a couple of decisions pretty quickly, so that has blown my original expectation of not hearing anything from anyone for at least 6-8 weeks out of the water.

For a long, long time, my status said incomplete, so I sent them an e-mail. They told me that they need a Dean's form because I answered yes to academic probation. I faxed on into my college; they told me they would send it. Cardozo told me they would attach it to my file. My school never responded about the e-mail to make sure it got there.

I guess I have to call.

Don't be too proactive now.

jc631

Postby jc631 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:51 pm

Just received a call from the dean accepting me (with a scholly!) after being held two months ago :) Now I have some tough decisions to make!

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:52 pm

jc631 wrote:Just received a call from the dean accepting me (with a scholly!) after being held two months ago :) Now I have some tough decisions to make!

how much?

hannah87

Postby hannah87 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:52 pm

jc631 wrote:Just received a call from the dean accepting me (with a scholly!) after being held two months ago :) Now I have some tough decisions to make!

congrats!!!

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:52 pm

sibley wrote:

how much?

Congrats, that's great news! What are you thinking with other decisions now?

jc631

Postby jc631 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:58 pm

kaydish21 wrote:
sibley wrote:

how much?

20k a year. Although I was hoping (and expecting from LSN) it to be more, it's still great news! I've narrowed it down to Emory, WashU, and now Cardozo. I would love to stay in NY and go to Cardozo, but I don't know if I can pass on my other offers especially since Cardozo will wind up costing more. Where are you thinking?

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:00 pm

Congratulations!!!

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:01 pm

jc631 wrote:
kaydish21 wrote:
sibley wrote:

how much?

20k a year. Although I was hoping (and expecting from LSN) it to be more, it's still great news! I've narrowed it down to Emory, WashU, and now Cardozo. I would love to stay in NY and go to Cardozo, but I don't know if I can pass on my other offers especially since Cardozo will wind up costing more. Where are you thinking?

My concern too. Did you get money from wash u? they gave me 11k but I suspect most of the difference will be made up between my dozo scholly and that one by COL.... =/

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:00 pm

I have not received a decision yet-- my status is still complete and under review. But I was wondering if anyone who is also at this stage shows $0 due under seat deposits. I realize that this could be because they haven't decided yet. But it has been my experience, with other schools, that an amount written means acceptance while $0 means rejection. I cannot remember if this has been written there all along.

roguey

Postby roguey » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:04 pm

NervousInKC wrote:I have not received a decision yet-- my status is still complete and under review. But I was wondering if anyone who is also at this stage shows $0 due under seat deposits. I realize that this could be because they haven't decided yet. But it has been my experience, with other schools, that an amount written means acceptance while $0 means rejection. I cannot remember if this has been written there all along.

"Complete and under review 2/8/2010." My deposits show $0 as well.

NervousInKC

Postby NervousInKC » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:24 pm

roguey wrote:
NervousInKC wrote:I have not received a decision yet-- my status is still complete and under review. But I was wondering if anyone who is also at this stage shows $0 due under seat deposits. I realize that this could be because they haven't decided yet. But it has been my experience, with other schools, that an amount written means acceptance while $0 means rejection. I cannot remember if this has been written there all along.

"Complete and under review 2/8/2010." My deposits show $0 as well.

Thanks!

holidayfromreal

Postby holidayfromreal » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:02 pm

so I pretty much decided that Cardozo's where I'm going to be next year! I've been debating for weeks but think I finally made my choice!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”