Cardozo 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
anp06

New

Re: Cardozo 2010

Post by anp06 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:00 pm

Hi I went complete to Cardozo 1/26 and have yet to hear back...I have gotten into FSU, and Loyola Law with an 84k schollie...163 3.55...Should I email them inquiring about my decision? If so, how should I word it? Thanks.

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:12 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote:
kaydish21 wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:Kaydish, Full ride, no stipulation for all 3 years to Dozo? Damn, that is a good deal. If Fordham gives you a decent offer, go for more using that Cardozo deal as diplomatic leverage or just take Dozo, unless of course you don't mind the uncertainty and risk of losing $$.

Not that you asked for any advice, just couldn't resist a reaction since no stips are relatively rare.
I feel like I can use all the advice in the world. Sort of hard to believe with all the deadlines on the 15th that we will be making such huge life choices in such a small amont of time. Do you think Fordham would actually compete with a fordham offer? I got the feeling you had to have more money from comparably or higher ranked schools. Who knows. What are you guys thinking about going to the highest ranked school vs taking the money?
haha whoops, good call. This is what I get for posting on my iPhone.

Do you mean using a Fordham PT scholly offer as leverage to boost up a Fordham FT offer? Little F vs Big F? J/K

Jockin Jay-Z

Bronze

Post by Jockin Jay-Z » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:28 pm

Have any of you seen the Alabama, the on-campus housing for Dozo 1Ls? It'd be sweet to live in Manhatten for cheap, at least for a year before having to move to some place in Brooklyn, but a quick google search says that its infested with rodents.

goingoingone

New

Post by goingoingone » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:43 pm

Jockin Jay-Z wrote:Have any of you seen the Alabama, the on-campus housing for Dozo 1Ls? It'd be sweet to live in Manhatten for cheap, at least for a year before having to move to some place in Brooklyn, but a quick google search says that its infested with rodents.
We went there on our tour. The building itself was nothing special. The room they showed us was pretty disgusting, but that was only because the person who lived there didn't bother to clean at all. Honestly, the best part about it is its proximity to the law school. You can do better in Manhattan in the East Village or Lower East Side, without much of a commute. (Though with a commute, you can do even better than that in Brooklyn/Queens.)

sjedood

New

Post by sjedood » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:58 pm

Hey,

I was at the admitted students day, and I'm pretty new to this site. I really was impressed by ASD. I liked the facility but in a way, I appreciated the attitude of the school as well. In all fairness, this was my first ASD though.

My question is, as someone who was accepted to both Fordham and Cardozo with money, how do I go about choosing one over the other. I have read some people saying that the debt of choosing Fordham is well worth any scholarship at Dozo. I also know that Dozo is continually up and coming, and while it is not ranked or does not place like Fordham, getting a "Big Law" job is attainable if your top 20-25% (depending on which numbers your looking at).

While the rule of thumb is to go to the "better" school when looking at two as separate as Fordham and Cardozo, I cant help but feel that the scholarship is worth it being that you can place at big law. It is almost like a gamble, in a way; your taking the risk that your not the person who ranks 20-30% at dozo, knowing that had you placed in that level in Fordham you would have been better off. Truth is, though, if you place in the middle of your class at Cardozo, would you really have fared that better at Fordham?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:54 pm

kaydish21 wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:
kaydish21 wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:Kaydish, Full ride, no stipulation for all 3 years to Dozo? Damn, that is a good deal. If Fordham gives you a decent offer, go for more using that Cardozo deal as diplomatic leverage or just take Dozo, unless of course you don't mind the uncertainty and risk of losing $$.

Not that you asked for any advice, just couldn't resist a reaction since no stips are relatively rare.
I feel like I can use all the advice in the world. Sort of hard to believe with all the deadlines on the 15th that we will be making such huge life choices in such a small amont of time. Do you think Fordham would actually compete with a fordham offer? I got the feeling you had to have more money from comparably or higher ranked schools. Who knows. What are you guys thinking about going to the highest ranked school vs taking the money?
haha whoops, good call. This is what I get for posting on my iPhone.

Do you mean using a Fordham PT scholly offer as leverage to boost up a Fordham FT offer? Little F vs Big F? J/K
Yeah, I think Fordham is negotiable using Cardozo as leverage. Cardozo attracts students all the time from NYU, Columbia, Fordham with Full rides and no stipulations because that equals a GUARANTEED FREE law school education from a law school that has the third best NY bar passage rate, is an energetic school, and is solidly a Top 50 school in every ranking out there. I mean I personally know how much everyone sucks Fordhams proverbial dick on this website, but to have no debt no matter what and most likely a lot of success if you are a good student, seems like a prudent decision to me. Be cautious about walking in lockstep with TLS USnews obsessed, biglaw myth, 0L's. I would use your judgment and reason here with strong foresight. Chances are you will be in the same job with either school, certainly no worse experience or enriched education at Cardozo that's for sure, and absolutely no risk whatever of ANY debt but for COL (a constant for both schools). That is my advice since you asked for all the advice you can get and I doubt many people on this site would give you such advice based on general observation. BUT, if you can get Fordham to pay 3/4 of your tuition with no stipulation, then its probably worth it. Keep in mind that scholarships and awards go on your resume along with good grades. Having that at Cardozo with whatever else you accomplish is not going to put you below a Fordham student (btw in-debt) barely making top 30% of his/her class, plus the money you save will afford you to drive a new BMW or Boxter that you otherwise wouldn't have for a while. If you go big law, you might as well have no life, but career flexibility, and liquidity as opposed to no life, no choice, and debt.

O, and if you're getting help from rents, negotiate and say you'll go to Dozo if you get half or 3/4 of the difference between the two schools to invest for yourself now. I personally like the security of your situation over the uncertainty of any scholarship from Fordham unless it is of course changed. Also, odds are you're qualified to be 1/4 of your class at Dozo... Which is all you're going to need to be. If you slip there, you were going to slip at Fordham and at least you had full boat. Even if we assume that Fordham allows you to slip to 40% to be picked up by a big firm by graduation, you're telling me that at 40% at Dozo you won't find a job of same caliber 3-6 months later in a totally fluke worse case scenario of a terrible job climate?

As your circumstances stand, my rationale strongly favors Cardozo. That's just me and maybe everyone else on this forum (very likely) disagrees, but I threw it out there for you to consider. I hope you deliberate and use sound judgment so that one way or another this post contributes at least somewhat in making the decision that is best for you.
Last edited by bernie shmegma on Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jockin Jay-Z

Bronze

Post by Jockin Jay-Z » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:11 am

goingoingone wrote:
Jockin Jay-Z wrote:Have any of you seen the Alabama, the on-campus housing for Dozo 1Ls? It'd be sweet to live in Manhatten for cheap, at least for a year before having to move to some place in Brooklyn, but a quick google search says that its infested with rodents.
We went there on our tour. The building itself was nothing special. The room they showed us was pretty disgusting, but that was only because the person who lived there didn't bother to clean at all. Honestly, the best part about it is its proximity to the law school. You can do better in Manhattan in the East Village or Lower East Side, without much of a commute. (Though with a commute, you can do even better than that in Brooklyn/Queens.)
I thought it was like $20k+/year for anything in Manhattan somewhat close to Cardozo. Craigslist seemed to support that perception.

That full ride/no stips looks awfully sexy at times.

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:27 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=111208

Did I ask people to check this out yet?

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:36 am

I submitted my app to Cardozo on 1/12/2010 and it went complete on 2/3/2010. Yet, I have not heard a word from them...I'm nervous and thinking it's going to be a hell no. How long did it take for Dozo to give you a response? And when your dinged do they show that on the status checker?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:36 am

bernie shmegma wrote:http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=111208

Did I ask people to check this out yet?
I saw it when it was a new thread, but that last post you made is nice. I'm really having doubts right now, and the post you made in this thread is I think helping me a little bit, at least in that I'm trying to make sure my decisions are my own and not overly influenced by this site (I don't want big law, but I want the option).

I'd prefer to be in NYC (I want immigration law, and my bf lives close by when he's not away at school, 6 hours away when he is) but...WashU gave me 11k a year with no strings and the COL could very well make up the difference (12 hour drive from my bf's school, triple priced flight). And some people with lower stats than me and less softs got full rides to Dozo, which makes me unhappy.

Dean Martinidez told me I'd basically have to make my decision with the scholarship I was given, but that if money popped up over the summer he'd consider me for it. But what motivation does the school have to give me more money if I've already put down my deposit and committed to them? I think I'm going to email them asking for smaller strings (I kept hearing current students talking about the Cardozo Curve... so if I can get him to make my stip for full a 3.18 instead I'd feel a lot better).

But here's my other idea... tell me if this is really bad/not allowed/ etc. I'm still waiting to hear from a few schools, but right now it looks like WashU and Cardozo are the best options (I don't want to pay full tuition and actually WashU's the best school I've gotten into so far). So what if I put down seat deposits at both, and tell Cardozo if they improve my offer they'll get me?...

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:44 am

bernie shmegma wrote:
Yeah, I think Fordham is negotiable using Cardozo as leverage. Cardozo attracts students all the time from NYU, Columbia, Fordham with Full rides and no stipulations because that equals a GUARANTEED FREE law school education from a law school that has the third best NY bar passage rate, is an energetic school, and is solidly a Top 50 school in every ranking out there. I mean I personally know how much everyone sucks Fordhams proverbial dick on this website, but to have no debt no matter what and most likely a lot of success if you are a good student, seems like a prudent decision to me. Be cautious about walking in lockstep with TLS USnews obsessed, biglaw myth, 0L's. I would use your judgment and reason here with strong foresight. Chances are you will be in the same job with either school, certainly no worse experience or enriched education at Cardozo that's for sure, and absolutely no risk whatever of ANY debt but for COL (a constant for both schools). That is my advice since you asked for all the advice you can get and I doubt many people on this site would give you such advice based on general observation. BUT, if you can get Fordham to pay 3/4 of your tuition with no stipulation, then its probably worth it. Keep in mind that scholarships and awards go on your resume along with good grades. Having that at Cardozo with whatever else you accomplish is not going to put you below a Fordham student (btw in-debt) barely making top 30% of his/her class, plus the money you save will afford you to drive a new BMW or Boxter that you otherwise wouldn't have for a while. If you go big law, you might as well have no life, but career flexibility, and liquidity as opposed to no life, no choice, and debt.

O, and if you're getting help from rents, negotiate and say you'll go to Dozo if you get half or 3/4 of the difference between the two schools to invest for yourself now. I personally like the security of your situation over the uncertainty of any scholarship from Fordham unless it is of course changed. Also, odds are you're qualified to be 1/4 of your class at Dozo... Which is all you're going to need to be. If you slip there, you were going to slip at Fordham and at least you had full boat. Even if we assume that Fordham allows you to slip to 40% to be picked up by a big firm by graduation, you're telling me that at 40% at Dozo you won't find a job of same caliber 3-6 months later in a totally fluke worse case scenario of a terrible job climate?

As your circumstances stand, my rationale strongly favors Cardozo. That's just me and maybe everyone else on this forum (very likely) disagrees, but I threw it out there for you to consider. I hope you deliberate and use sound judgment so that one way or another this post contributes at least somewhat in making the decision that is best for you.
I get what you're saying here, but if I do choose Fordham, it won't be because of TLS trolls or USNews ranking. I've spoken to a few NYC V100 firm partners who told me without a second thought to take Fordham over Cardozo if I think I want biglaw. And this was before I even knew if I was getting $$ at Fordham. I definitely trust their opinions over any 0L or student here, because they've actually been hiring managers.

That being said, if I knew I wanted PI, I would 100% take the full ride at Cardozo and not look back.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:47 am

hannah87 wrote: That being said, if I knew I wanted PI, I would 100% take the full ride at Cardozo and not look back.
I'm pretty sure I want PI... but... it's too big of a decision. Ugh.

Mathis

New

Post by Mathis » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:50 am

Question... if you pay the April 15th seat deposit to Cardozo, do they require you to withdraw all other applications?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

webbylu87

Silver

Post by webbylu87 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:53 am

I'm still on hold at Cardozo. This is ridiculous.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:53 am

Mathis wrote:Question... if you pay the April 15th seat deposit to Cardozo, do they require you to withdraw all other applications?
I'm interested in this as well. I think that it's only required when you sign something in lieu of the first seat deposit... which I don't think Cardozo does.

The admissions packet doesn't say anything, nor does the seat deposit site:
Please enter the following information to submit a tuition deposit of $400 and accept your place at Cardozo.

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:16 am

You definitely do not agree to withdraw other applications by paying their deposit. I am very interested in PI but do not want to rule out firm work. I feel like working at a firm and doing pro bono on the side (maybe only possible after 2 yrs of ridic schedule firm work?) would be a great option. I have done lots of PI work in education and love it, but also have interned at a firm and enjoyed that as well. I also have to think about the decision in family context as my wife is applying to law school also so reducing debt in general would be nice, but I want to buy a house and start a family before too too long and having a solid salary would be very helpful to that end.

Thanks for the advice all though and please keep it coming!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:29 am

kaydish21 wrote:You definitely do not agree to withdraw other applications by paying their deposit. I am very interested in PI but do not want to rule out firm work. I feel like working at a firm and doing pro bono on the side (maybe only possible after 2 yrs of ridic schedule firm work?) would be a great option. I have done lots of PI work in education and love it, but also have interned at a firm and enjoyed that as well. I also have to think about the decision in family context as my wife is applying to law school also so reducing debt in general would be nice, but I want to buy a house and start a family before too too long and having a solid salary would be very helpful to that end.

Thanks for the advice all though and please keep it coming!
totally thought you were a girl.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

trialjunky

Silver

Post by trialjunky » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:21 pm

hold? As in they still have you as decision pending? Because that is where I am and it's torture!!
webbylu87 wrote:I'm still on hold at Cardozo. This is ridiculous.

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:00 pm

trialjunky wrote:hold? As in they still have you as decision pending? Because that is where I am and it's torture!!
webbylu87 wrote:I'm still on hold at Cardozo. This is ridiculous.
Just got the e-mail informing me I've been put on hold. Will probably withdraw.

kentee15

New

Post by kentee15 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:02 pm

I am on hold with a 169, and a 3.1 Lsac GPA - Is this purely because of the GPA?

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:05 pm

kentee15 wrote:I am on hold with a 169, and a 3.1 Lsac GPA - Is this purely because of the GPA?
or did you apply later? this cycle is weird so they may be waiting to see which of those already admitted will accept.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mango26

Bronze

Post by mango26 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:56 pm

wait list today via email. (3.3, 163)

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:18 pm

Hold via email

2.75. 169

Blah

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:21 pm

sorry you guys. is hold the same as waitlist?

Foosters Galore

Bronze

Post by Foosters Galore » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:27 pm

I haven't the slightest

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”