Cardozo 2010 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chutzpah

Bronze

Re: Cardozo 2010

Post by chutzpah » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:22 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I am interested in applying to Cardozo next fall, but I was wondering why is there contempt for the school from some people on TLS.com?

All I have heard in the real world is great things. Like they are a very strong up and commer and one of the biggest feeder law schools for Ivy grads?
I think, partially, because "up and comer" is not quantifiable (yet) and many people on this forum rely on rankings, biglaw placement statistics, and other hard data to evaluate schools. Cardozo does well on these stats compared to its peer schools but not compared to the big NY schools.

lawschooliseasy

Bronze

Post by lawschooliseasy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:25 pm

chocho wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:I am interested in applying to Cardozo next fall, but I was wondering why is there contempt for the school from some people on TLS.com?

All I have heard in the real world is great things. Like they are a very strong up and commer and one of the biggest feeder law schools for Ivy grads?
bc tls is full of a lot of folk that think a law school where you are not garunteed 160k coming out is a joke, full of idiots, and not worth it. take georgetown and cornell for example, they get smashed on this site, yet they are amazing schools. tls.com is a very self selecting group of people, and you are bound to get people that think if it isn't HYS, its pure garbage.
Indeed. This group of people can also spell "guaranteed" properly.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:26 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:
chocho wrote:

bc tls is full of a lot of folk that think a law school where you are not garunteed 160k coming out is a joke, full of idiots, and not worth it. take georgetown and cornell for example, they get smashed on this site, yet they are amazing schools. tls.com is a very self selecting group of people, and you are bound to get people that think if it isn't HYS, its pure garbage.
I don't much care for Cornell, but I'll let them have their typo.

I'd pick Cardozo because I don't want big law and a scholarship is the best option in that situation...

chocho

New

Post by chocho » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:23 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:
chocho wrote:

i's write though, right?

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:18 pm

sibley wrote:
kaydish21 wrote:So money issues aside, who else is excited for the ASD on Thursday, a day out of work where it's supposed to be beautiful AND checking out the school I am most likely to attend given all 2 of my options thus far. Waitlists go to (as my 6th grade students would say) H E double hockeysticks!
I'm excited. But very grouchy. Are you not joining us in the AM for breakfast at waverly place?
I would, but I think I'm gonna take the rare morning extra sleep and then hang out with the wife for a bit before going to some of the AM options. I'm happy to meet up and chat with people during all the events. And for what its worth I haven't looked at any of the homework for us yet but secretly this is my plan to get people to underestimate me (I figure screw the non TLSers)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:20 pm

kaydish21 wrote:
sibley wrote:
kaydish21 wrote:So money issues aside, who else is excited for the ASD on Thursday, a day out of work where it's supposed to be beautiful AND checking out the school I am most likely to attend given all 2 of my options thus far. Waitlists go to (as my 6th grade students would say) H E double hockeysticks!
I'm excited. But very grouchy. Are you not joining us in the AM for breakfast at waverly place?
I would, but I think I'm gonna take the rare morning extra sleep and then hang out with the wife for a bit before going to some of the AM options. I'm happy to meet up and chat with people during all the events. And for what its worth I haven't looked at any of the homework for us yet but secretly this is my plan to get people to underestimate me (I figure screw the non TLSers)
homework? i don't get it :oops:

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:31 pm

hannah87 wrote:
kaydish21 wrote:
sibley wrote:
oooh good theory! I'm gonna be an always-incorrect gunner. that's my secret plan, now that I've heard yours. (even though I secretly know all the right answers)... that way I'll shock my profs when they grade me.

Hannah, there's a link to the hw on the visit materials. It's not actually 'work' just prep.

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:35 pm

hannah87 wrote:
From the agenda in emailed confirmation of attendance:

2:30 pm - 3:30 pm: Special First-Year Property Class taught by Professor Stewart Sterk (Please click here for materials to review in advance. Hard copies of the assignment will also be available at check-in.)

It's like a 10 page pdf with property questions most of us would never know the answer to and then excerpts of cases giving the answer.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:51 pm

kaydish21 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

2:30 pm - 3:30 pm: Special First-Year Property Class taught by Professor Stewart Sterk (Please click here for materials to review in advance. Hard copies of the assignment will also be available at check-in.)

It's like a 10 page pdf with property questions most of us would never know the answer to and then excerpts of cases giving the answer.
but one of the questions still doesn't have enough information for an answer unless you make assumptions

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hannah87

Silver

Post by hannah87 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:56 pm

sibley wrote:
kaydish21 wrote:
hannah87 wrote:

but one of the questions still doesn't have enough information for an answer unless you make assumptions
whoa, i have not done my research! thanks, guys.

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:10 pm

So, this may be completely off the wall, but during Harvard's ASW, Yale called people to inform them of admission to get everyone talking about Yale while at Harvard. I don't know if the competition level is comparable at all, but I wouldn't be surprised if Fordham has a bunch of admission emails go out on Thursday during Cardozo's ASD?

Thoughts?

And Sibley, I think we are the gunnerless gunners. This idea always cracks me up, at my school, I do things pretty formally and am well prepared so all the other teachers and admins think I am always on top of my game and am a straight edge person. If they only knew how off that was all through high school and college.

chutzpah

Bronze

Post by chutzpah » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:58 pm

sorry guys but i dont think i'll make it to breakfast. i'm coming in very late weds night from dc and staying with my parents in queens. its kind of a long commute downtown (I cant believe I did it for high school) and I'd rather have a little extra sleep. plus i'm grumpy and not fun in the morning. i'm sure we'll play trust games with each other later in the day and reveal our secret identities. hint: i don't look like an elephant or use [much] yiddish in real life

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:30 pm

freaking out about what to wear =

warm = dress + sandals to me. but I think I should wear sweater + dress pants =/ Or jeans. holey ones.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:39 pm

chutzpah wrote:sorry guys but i dont think i'll make it to breakfast. i'm coming in very late weds night from dc and staying with my parents in queens. its kind of a long commute downtown (I cant believe I did it for high school) and I'd rather have a little extra sleep. plus i'm grumpy and not fun in the morning. i'm sure we'll play trust games with each other later in the day and reveal our secret identities. hint: i don't look like an elephant or use [much] yiddish in real life
So dissapointing.... Elephants are the coolest!

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:10 pm

managed to pick out my outfit without having to shop!!! miracle. the shirt is new, sure, but I bought it the other day so it doesn't count.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:34 pm

I am a May applicant--still waiting on a decision. How much longer will I possibly have to wait :-/

zimbadimp

New

Post by zimbadimp » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:41 pm

Did you call admissions?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:47 pm

goosey wrote:I am a May applicant--still waiting on a decision. How much longer will I possibly have to wait :-/
I'm a May applicant too. I keep telling myself that at least I'll know either way before a lot of people who are waitlisted at other schools and won't have an answer until midsummer.

Does anyone know how late they were making decisions for May last year?

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:00 am

Does anyone know if it is possible to switch my application from the May program to Fall?

I only applied for May because I didn't see the point of waiting until the Fall, but with everything I've read about the lack of scholarship $ for the May program, I might be better off switching to the Fall program, in case there's any $ still available. I know the chances are slim this late in the cycle, but Cardozo is my first choice, but I have a hard time considering paying sticker with my LSAT score.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:06 am

badpixie wrote:
goosey wrote:I am a May applicant--still waiting on a decision. How much longer will I possibly have to wait :-/
I'm a May applicant too. I keep telling myself that at least I'll know either way before a lot of people who are waitlisted at other schools and won't have an answer until midsummer.

Zimba, I visited admissions. I am under review and have been under review for quite a while now.

Badpixie, it seems (from what I hear) that some people were admitted a week prior to the start of classes.

Would it be rude and/or the kiss of death for me to email or visit and express the fact that if I am to start law school in May there are a lottt of things that need to be taken care of and arrangements to be made, so could they let me know asap. Will I seem annoying? Seriously though, march is half over. I don't want to be whiney, and I know my application is no more important than any other applicant, but maybe May decisions should get priority at this point over Fall

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:13 am

goosey wrote:
Badpixie, it seems (from what I hear) that some people were admitted a week prior to the start of classes.

Would it be rude and/or the kiss of death for me to email or visit and express the fact that if I am to start law school in May there are a lottt of things that need to be taken care of and arrangements to be made, so could they let me know asap. Will I seem annoying? Seriously though, march is half over. I don't want to be whiney, and I know my application is no more important than any other applicant, but maybe May decisions should get priority at this point over Fall
A week before the start of classes - that's ridiculous. How is anyone supposed to handle whatever personal business needs to be handled before school starts in under a week?? What about people that will need to resign from jobs or relocate?

I agree - the May applications should be handled separately from the Fall applications at this point, at least those who applied earlier in the cycle.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zimbadimp

New

Post by zimbadimp » Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:06 am

Badpixie, it cant hurt to ask, with your LSAT you definitely should get some money.

newyorker88

Silver

Post by newyorker88 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:22 am

Call from the dean and received package today, in with $28,000 per year.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:20 am

goosey wrote:
badpixie wrote:

Zimba, I visited admissions. I am under review and have been under review for quite a while now.

No go ahead and do it. They've been very tolerant with my off-the-wall questions and ridiculous requests. (I was already admitted, though, so I don't know if it'll effect that... I don't think so, the deans are nice)

um08

New

Post by um08 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:57 am

sibley wrote:
goosey wrote:
badpixie wrote:

No go ahead and do it. They've been very tolerant with my off-the-wall questions and ridiculous requests. (I was already admitted, though, so I don't know if it'll effect that... I don't think so, the deans are nice)

And let us know how that goes.. I am in the same boat, and am getting ready to ask them what the deal is as well.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”