Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Unadilla Kayaker
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:50 am

I too finally got my letter from the 12/4 mailing. I'm in Asia, which accounts for the delay.

166/3.29 and I'm accepted.

Excited about this one!

User avatar
kalvano
Posts: 11724
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:24 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby kalvano » Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:11 am

Unadilla Kayaker wrote:I too finally got my letter from the 12/4 mailing. I'm in Asia, which accounts for the delay.

166/3.29 and I'm accepted.

Excited about this one!




Congratulations.

How long before the 12/4 mailing did you go complete?

Unadilla Kayaker
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:33 am

Went complete 11/6

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby robin600 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:08 am

Congrats to everyone accepted, I wish I could trade shoes with you, I'd do anything for a W&L acceptance about now!

Unadilla Kayaker
Posts: 165
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:01 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:36 am

robin600 wrote:Congrats to everyone accepted, I wish I could trade shoes with you, I'd do anything for a W&L acceptance about now!


Patience Robin. Good things come to those who wait. I'm sure you'll have some good choices in a few months.

general100
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby general100 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:11 pm

FYI -- Dean Rod Smolla leaving W&L, assuming presidency of Furman University

http://law.wlu.edu/news/storydetail.asp?id=690

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Vincent Vega » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:50 pm

Furman>W&L
President>Law school dean

Good choice.

general100
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby general100 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:08 pm

Halibut6 wrote:Furman>W&L
President>Law school dean

Good choice.


By what metric or measurement, I have no idea. There's no law school at Furman, so I can only surmise that you mean to compare the undergrad divisions.

Washington and Lee has been ranked in the top 20 liberal arts colleges of USNWR pretty much since the magazine began the annual issue. (It's always the second highest ranked liberal arts school in the South behind Davidson). In the latest edition, it was ranked #14. Furman was #40. Washington and Lee's acceptance rate is about 16% while Furman's is 57%. Its median GPA and SAT scores are higher. Washington and Lee's endowment is larger in absolute terms even though Furman has more students. Washington and Lee has an accredited business and j-school, while Furman does not. I could go on and on...

I am always reticent to compare liberal arts colleges because it's clear that they have unique identities and cultures that make them more or less of a "fit" for students. That is to say, there should not be liberal use of the "greater than" or "less than" sign when talking about liberal arts colleges. We can't reduce the experience at either school to a number or rank.

That said, it is wildly out sync with quantitative data to suggest that Furman is "better" than W&L. I have no idea what standard you could possibly use to make that claim...

And comparing a law school dean to a university president is such an apples and oranges deal that it isn't really even funny...

User avatar
wackjickham
Posts: 458
Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby wackjickham » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:38 pm

general100 wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:Furman>W&L
President>Law school dean

Good choice.


By what metric or measurement, I have no idea. There's no law school at Furman, so I can only surmise that you mean to compare the undergrad divisions.

Washington and Lee has been ranked in the top 20 liberal arts colleges of USNWR pretty much since the magazine began the annual issue. (It's always the second highest ranked liberal arts school in the South behind Davidson). In the latest edition, it was ranked #14. Furman was #40. Washington and Lee's acceptance rate is about 16% while Furman's is 57%. Its median GPA and SAT scores are higher. Washington and Lee's endowment is larger in absolute terms even though Furman has more students. Washington and Lee has an accredited business and j-school, while Furman does not. I could go on and on...

I am always reticent to compare liberal arts colleges because it's clear that they have unique identities and cultures that make them more or less of a "fit" for students. That is to say, there should not be liberal use of the "greater than" or "less than" sign when talking about liberal arts colleges. We can't reduce the experience at either school to a number or rank.

That said, it is wildly out sync with quantitative data to suggest that Furman is "better" than W&L. I have no idea what standard you could possibly use to make that claim...

And comparing a law school dean to a university president is such an apples and oranges deal that it isn't really even funny...


Furman's mascot is the Paladins while W&L's Mascot is the Generals
*Glares at above posters username*

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:41 pm

general100 wrote:
Halibut6 wrote:Furman>W&L
President>Law school dean

Good choice.


By what metric or measurement, I have no idea.


Measurement = personal opinion. This isn't a doctoral dissertation here.

User avatar
Vincent Vega
Posts: 1182
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:36 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Vincent Vega » Tue Dec 15, 2009 5:43 pm

general100 wrote:And comparing a law school dean to a university president is such an apples and oranges deal that it isn't really even funny...


Wasn't going for comedy. :|

azb
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby azb » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:27 pm

Any recent activity from W&L??
Has any of those who went complete in mid-november heard from the admission?

statuscheckerssuck
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:35 pm

azb wrote:Any recent activity from W&L??
Has any of those who went complete in mid-november heard from the admission?


No. :|

general100
Posts: 75
Joined: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:12 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby general100 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:38 pm

I posted this in the W&L/W&M thread, but some of you might find it interesting.

Today's edition of the WaPo covered the W&L third year law program:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... -education

Then, the WSJ law blog covered the WaPo article:
http://blogs.wsj.com/law/2009/12/18/is- ... he-future/

User avatar
daniel5215
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:25 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby daniel5215 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:03 pm

still not complete yet....urghhhh

statuscheckerssuck
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Mon Dec 21, 2009 1:08 pm

Ok. Hopefully W & L sends out a big wave this week because I feel like there has been nothing in a long long time (Or maybe it just seems this way because I check TLS every hour). Who is with me?

Unfortunately, it does not seem that this wave will come today. As I was checking my status I noticed that they are closed today due to snow :(

jlue05
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:57 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby jlue05 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:40 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:Ok. Hopefully W & L sends out a big wave this week because I feel like there has been nothing in a long long time (Or maybe it just seems this way because I check TLS every hour). Who is with me?

Unfortunately, it does not seem that this wave will come today. As I was checking my status I noticed that they are closed today due to snow :(


Frustrating.... It does seem like it's been forever. I was hoping to hear something before Christmas.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby robin600 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:58 pm

jlue05 wrote:
statuscheckerssuck wrote:Ok. Hopefully W & L sends out a big wave this week because I feel like there has been nothing in a long long time (Or maybe it just seems this way because I check TLS every hour). Who is with me?

Unfortunately, it does not seem that this wave will come today. As I was checking my status I noticed that they are closed today due to snow :(


Frustrating.... It does seem like it's been forever. I was hoping to hear something before Christmas.


We won't hear anything till mid-february

02092010
Posts: 94
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:19 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby 02092010 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:19 pm

Why are they trying to persuade me that no news is good news? Oh well, i guess they are the lawyers so I will believe them.

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Slimpee » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:01 pm

tallywhacker wrote:Why are they trying to persuade me that no news is good news? Oh well, i guess they are the lawyers so I will believe them.


Haha, I noticed that as well. I feel that no news is...no news

arundodonax
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:31 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby arundodonax » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:54 pm

.
Last edited by arundodonax on Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

texaspecial88
Posts: 253
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby texaspecial88 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:32 pm

W&L's status checker is down? Do you think they are updating with more decision?

I've been complete since 11/2 and haven't heard a peep (3.6/162)

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby robin600 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:39 pm

texaspecial88 wrote:W&L's status checker is down? Do you think they are updating with more decision?

I've been complete since 11/2 and haven't heard a peep (3.6/162)

Mine isn't down and I've been complete since 10/30. I have a 163/3.65 and pretty good soft/ also non-trad (blind). I hope they aren't accepting all 163/3.5 and ups and then just excluded me, that'd suck balls.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2950
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby ndirish2010 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:03 pm

Just went complete today, 3.66/168

User avatar
Zojirushi
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Zojirushi » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:05 pm

robin600 wrote:
texaspecial88 wrote:W&L's status checker is down? Do you think they are updating with more decision?

I've been complete since 11/2 and haven't heard a peep (3.6/162)

Mine isn't down and I've been complete since 10/30. I have a 163/3.65 and pretty good soft/ also non-trad (blind). I hope they aren't accepting all 163/3.5 and ups and then just excluded me, that'd suck balls.

Looking at LSN, if we haven't been accepted by now, we are WL fodder.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: galeatus and 11 guests