Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby tram988 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:54 pm

Its such a hard decision, assuming I get into both with no money. What is the VA perception of W&L? Is it regarded as more prestigious? Apparently they appear to be sister schools. In terms of rankings, however, it appears the W&M has just recently gained a few spaces on W&L. I'm not really sure which I'd choose.

krispykitten
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby krispykitten » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:08 am

.
Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby tram988 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:13 am

krispykitten wrote:
tram988 wrote:Its such a hard decision, assuming I get into both with no money. What is the VA perception of W&L? Is it regarded as more prestigious? Apparently they appear to be sister schools. In terms of rankings, however, it appears the W&M has just recently gained a few spaces on W&L. I'm not really sure which I'd choose.

That's the thing-- I don't really know which one is considered to be more prestigious and I really wish I did. I just know W&L is certainly far more expensive, especially since I'm a VA resident.

When you say W&M just recently gained on W&L, how recently are we talking? I thought I remember reading earlier in this thread that W&L had been around 18 a few years ago-- that sort of a rapid drop in rankings makes me a little nervous... any idea what may have happened there? The last thing I really need to do is sign on to a sinking ship...


Thats my concern as well. I have no idea what happened. Perhaps the innovative third year had something to do with it? I dont know. I cant see it dropping below #30. When do the new rankings come out anyway?

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby TruckerD » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:37 am

tram988 wrote:
krispykitten wrote:
tram988 wrote:Its such a hard decision, assuming I get into both with no money. What is the VA perception of W&L? Is it regarded as more prestigious? Apparently they appear to be sister schools. In terms of rankings, however, it appears the W&M has just recently gained a few spaces on W&L. I'm not really sure which I'd choose.

That's the thing-- I don't really know which one is considered to be more prestigious and I really wish I did. I just know W&L is certainly far more expensive, especially since I'm a VA resident.

When you say W&M just recently gained on W&L, how recently are we talking? I thought I remember reading earlier in this thread that W&L had been around 18 a few years ago-- that sort of a rapid drop in rankings makes me a little nervous... any idea what may have happened there? The last thing I really need to do is sign on to a sinking ship...


Thats my concern as well. I have no idea what happened. Perhaps the innovative third year had something to do with it? I dont know. I cant see it dropping below #30. When do the new rankings come out anyway?


In 2008 per USNWR rankings, W&M was ranked 31, and W&L was 25.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby tram988 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:38 am

My little Trucker...thoughts on W&L v. WM?

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby TruckerD » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:30 am

tram988 wrote:My little Trucker...thoughts on W&L v. WM?


LOL... Well, W&L has admitted me, W&M hasn't :( Therefore, I prefer W&L. I've been in both Williamsburg and Lexington on the truck, love the beauty and climate of Lexington. Both places have interesting histories, obviously Williamsburg has a slight advantage in that area. I know these criteria are esoteric, as law schools they are about even, although W&L seems to be slipping a little bit.

User avatar
Notor
Posts: 391
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 11:32 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Notor » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:37 am

I am still waiting for a decision... I was one of those unlucky few a couple of weeks back who had their status checker state "decision rendered, letter sent" only to have W&L say that it was an error. Since then, absolutely nothing. I got into W&M in like 4 days, FWIW. Come on WL

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby tram988 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:05 pm

Notor wrote:I am still waiting for a decision... I was one of those unlucky few a couple of weeks back who had their status checker state "decision rendered, letter sent" only to have W&L say that it was an error. Since then, absolutely nothing. I got into W&M in like 4 days, FWIW. Come on WL


I could say the same thing about WM...no notice yet.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby tram988 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:05 pm

Trucker do you think this current dip in the rankings will be permanent? I can't imagine it dropping any further.

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby avacado111 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:34 pm

william and mary= the worst place to be

my friend went there undergrad, but then decided to transfer out b/c she was soo depressed.

User avatar
Zojirushi
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Zojirushi » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:39 pm

avacado111 wrote:william and mary= the worst place to be

my friend went there undergrad, but then decided to transfer out b/c she was soo depressed.


:roll: Thanks for that insight.

sckon
Posts: 501
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:03 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby sckon » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:40 pm

avacado111 wrote:william and mary= the worst place to be

my friend went there undergrad, but then decided to transfer out b/c she was soo depressed.



I like that sample size...

User avatar
Zojirushi
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Zojirushi » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:00 pm

sckon wrote:
avacado111 wrote:william and mary= the worst place to be

my friend went there undergrad, but then decided to transfer out b/c she was soo depressed.



I like that sample size...

extra "o" in so = more representative sample

Headybrah
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Headybrah » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:05 pm

anyone know what the drop in the rankings is attributed to?

I know GW argues that their drop was due to having part time students.

Anyone know the reason for W&L's?

To be honest though the drop doesnt really bother me, its a great school regardless and I want to be in D.C./East Coast when I graduate. Also their community feel/vibe is pretty unique

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby TruckerD » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:12 pm

Headybrah wrote:anyone know what the drop in the rankings is attributed to?

I know GW argues that their drop was due to having part time students.

Anyone know the reason for W&L's?

To be honest though the drop doesnt really bother me, its a great school regardless and I want to be in D.C./East Coast when I graduate. Also their community feel/vibe is pretty unique


I agree their community seems really cool and unique. Don't have a clue what the drop is about. Perhaps someone with bigger balls than I needs to ask them about it. :lol:

Headybrah
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Headybrah » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:17 pm

I figured someone could get the data from the rankings and just see where the drop came from... no need to ask

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby avacado111 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:19 pm

sckon wrote:
avacado111 wrote:william and mary= the worst place to be

my friend went there undergrad, but then decided to transfer out b/c she was soo depressed.



I like that sample size...


Actually, I know a lot of people from my high school that went to W&M, and they all had the same review. Except, not that many people got depressed...they just learned to live with it and deal. It was good the first year, but then it got really boring. There really isn't much to do besides the cheery williamsburg (which is really cute to visit but not to live in). Stores/outdoor strip mall are only accessible with cars (apparently). Also, people always trip on the bricks that surround the campus because they are so uneven.

That's what I heard.... W&M wasn't really a place for my personality (I applied and got in during undergrad) but decided I like city life better. If your that sort of person... then wm can be for you.

User avatar
Zojirushi
Posts: 322
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Zojirushi » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:28 pm

if W&M is "the worst place" due to being in Williamsburg, what is W&L? Williamsburg is ~1 hour from Richmond, Lexington is ~1 hour from Charlottesville.

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby TruckerD » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:38 pm

Headybrah wrote:I figured someone could get the data from the rankings and just see where the drop came from... no need to ask


I haven't found any detail from that far back, but there are people here who have been researching the rankings longer than I have. Maybe they will have some insight on that.

tram988
Posts: 1161
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:51 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby tram988 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:40 pm

TruckerD wrote:
Headybrah wrote:I figured someone could get the data from the rankings and just see where the drop came from... no need to ask


I haven't found any detail from that far back, but there are people here who have been researching the rankings longer than I have. Maybe they will have some insight on that.

The drop is rather recent...I think it corresponds with the new 3rd year curriculum...I could be wrong however...

User avatar
TruckerD
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby TruckerD » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:44 pm

tram988 wrote:
TruckerD wrote:
Headybrah wrote:I figured someone could get the data from the rankings and just see where the drop came from... no need to ask


I haven't found any detail from that far back, but there are people here who have been researching the rankings longer than I have. Maybe they will have some insight on that.

The drop is rather recent...I think it corresponds with the new 3rd year curriculum...I could be wrong however...


I'm not sure when their 3rd year started, but the drop seems to have started in about 2004. Maybe they conceived their new curriculum in response to the drop, but that is sheer conjecture on my part.

User avatar
5ky
Posts: 6384
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:10 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby 5ky » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:48 pm

.
Last edited by 5ky on Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby avacado111 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:56 pm

5ky wrote:
avacado111 wrote:
sckon wrote:
avacado111 wrote:william and mary= the worst place to be

my friend went there undergrad, but then decided to transfer out b/c she was soo depressed.



I like that sample size...


Actually, I know a lot of people from my high school that went to W&M, and they all had the same review. Except, not that many people got depressed...they just learned to live with it and deal. It was good the first year, but then it got really boring. There really isn't much to do besides the cheery williamsburg (which is really cute to visit but not to live in). Stores/outdoor strip mall are only accessible with cars (apparently). Also, people always trip on the bricks that surround the campus because they are so uneven.

That's what I heard.... W&M wasn't really a place for my personality (I applied and got in during undergrad) but decided I like city life better. If your that sort of person... then wm can be for you.


Lol @ tripping on bricks being a reason to not like a school. (PS - the bricks are really very even.)



hahahaha. One of my friends broke her ankle. She complained about it often. I gues that's a big thing with her :)

krispykitten
Posts: 441
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby krispykitten » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:10 pm

.
Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

avacado111
Posts: 419
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:49 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby avacado111 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:45 pm

krispykitten wrote:I actually broke one of sandals on the bricks. It got trapped under one of the bricks, my foot kept going and *snap* no more flippy floppy. But hey, the bars (the whole 3 or so) are fun and I actually liked it there-- although town/gown can get a little strained at times.


also.... isn't there a hangout place called Wawa's. I find that name funny in a cute sort of way.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: guybourdin, lillawyer2, mm2368 and 7 guests