Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Veritas

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Veritas » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:54 pm

wackjickham wrote:
Veritas wrote:in : )

Congrats Veritas! IIRC, you've been waiting for that letter for a while, right?

Thanks! I was notified of a decision being sent the week before last. Snail mail was slowed down I guess, making its trek across the US.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:23 am

I better get my letter today..YOU hear me Veritas!!!!?

avacado111

Postby avacado111 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:26 am

tram988 wrote:I better get my letter today..YOU hear me Veritas!!!!?

got my letter this morning. I told my mom to chase the mailman. hahahahahaha.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:34 am

where are you located???

UTaylor526

Postby UTaylor526 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:31 pm

Does anyone know about ASD's?

I need to find a way to make it out to VA from TX.

tram988

Postby tram988 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:08 pm

Just got my letter!! IN :)

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:12 pm

tram988 wrote:Just got my letter!! IN :)

YAY!! Congrats! :D

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:18 pm

This whole, the longer you wait to hear from us the better thing is not doing so well for me...

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:21 pm

tram988 wrote:Just got my letter!! IN :)

:D ...phew....I was scared I was gonna get a beat down! :shock:

clwilson6

Postby clwilson6 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:24 pm

wackjickham wrote:
dakatz wrote:I have the same problem with LSN. If I'm not logged in, I cannot find myself listed anywhere.

1. Sign in to LSN
2. Click "Edit My Profile"
3. Click the "Account Settings" tab
4. Resend Verification email
5. Verify your account

I had the same problem, I was wondering why I never showed up on any of the graphs.

Yup, that's exactly what it was. Apparently, I didn't verify my account. It should be visible now.

Edit: I still haven't verified my account because I'm not getting the verification e-mail from LSN. However, it should still be visible but may not come up under the search option.

Numbers: 151 LSAT, 3.23 GPA, AA Male, wide variety of unique soft factors.

Lady Heather

Postby Lady Heather » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:54 pm

clwilson6 wrote:Edit: I still haven't verified my account because I'm not getting the verification e-mail from LSN.

My LSN verification email went straight to spam. Have you checked your spam box?

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:04 pm

so, W&L v W&M: what do you all think?

tram988

Postby tram988 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:07 pm

Veritas wrote:so, W&L v W&M: what do you all think?

I think im a WM guy myself...

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:17 pm

tram988 wrote:

+1

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:32 pm

sufjan wrote:
tram988 wrote:

+1

I'm still torn, but I'm leaning towards W&M, mostly because I was gov't work in DC

Lady Heather

Postby Lady Heather » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:56 am

sufjan wrote:
tram988 wrote:

+1

+1

misformafia

Postby misformafia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:00 am

Lady Heather wrote:
sufjan wrote:
tram988 wrote:

+1

+1

-3 I'm a WL guy . . . so now we're even?

Every1SuxButMe

Postby Every1SuxButMe » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:42 am

in at UCLA & UT. waitlisted at UVA...bummer. Washington and Lee is an alrite school I guess but I'm sure it's not your guys' top choice XD, congrats to those that got in! Check me out on LSN EVERY1SUXBUTME!!!

The Zeppelin

Postby The Zeppelin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:29 am

Every1SuxButMe wrote:in at UCLA & UT. waitlisted at UVA...bummer. Washington and Lee is an alrite school I guess but I'm sure it's not your guys' top choice XD, congrats to those that got in! Check me out on LSN EVERY1SUXBUTME!!!

Is this guy serious?

Every1SuxButMe

Postby Every1SuxButMe » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:12 am

lol the screen name is from a cartoon show haha. just trying to find some humor during this stressful process.

generals10

Postby generals10 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:34 am

I'm a W&L undergrad, so I wandered into this thread out of curiosity and thought I'd share thoughts on the town since I am procrastinating right now:

Food: Pretty good for a town of less than 10,000. But then again, it's a town of 10,000. There are all your typical fast food restaurants as well as a couple of sit-down chains--though no Chipotle/Qdoba or Chick-Fil-A, unfortunately. There are lots of nice little lunch places in town--Blue Sky and Joyful Spirit are probably the best, although guys won't feel very manly eating there. Sweet Treats is also nice, McCoy's and Macado's have decent sandwiches. For something a bit nicer, there are a handful of options. The Southern Inn is overrated (except for a great brunch), Tuscany is eh, The Sheridan Livery is almost always pretty good, and the Main Street Bistro is my favorite. It also has the best lunch in town: you won't pay much more than you would for a quick sandwich, and the quality is excellent. The Red Hen has overpriced local farm/livestock food, and there are a couple of other niche restaurants. Other than that, there are perplexingly many pizza/pasta/sub places (Salerno's is my favorite). The Healthy Foods Co-Op also has a mostly vegan lunch cafe (easily missed) that is surprisingly filling and usually quite tasty. If you can figure out their weird opening hours, don't forget to check out the Pink Hut for ice cream and Kenny Burger for unadulterated grease. Don Tequila's has pretty bad Mexican food, but if you're craving enchiladas, go for it and get a Jumbo Texas Margarita or two to top it off.

Campus: Gorgeous. The law school isn't as impressive as the Colonnade (national historic landmark), but the two campuses are separated by well less than a mile. Absolutely stunning, can't say enough about it really. Have only been in parts of the law school; it seems fairly nice. Very quiet, in my experience. Pretty good gym facilities for such a small school.

Town in general: Great feel and very pretty--IF you like small towns. Pretty much dominated by W&L and VMI. Cutesy shopping; the town plays up its historic nature (probably a bit too much--nothing much actually happened here).

Stuff to do: You've probably heard this before. Only Macado's and The Palms (which sucks) really feel like bars, although I think law students may hang out at a few of the restaurant bars as well. We have one three-screen movie theater and practically everything else is at least 45 minutes to an hour away (bowling, ice-skating, big shopping, concert venues, etc.). The school does a nice job of bringing speakers and stuff in, but don't fool yourself--the town is small and isolated. The undergrad scene is dominantly Greek, so I don't have too much to offer you in the way of creativity, but friends at the law school tell me that social life is very tight, because of the class size, and involves lots of house/apartment parties and law school functions. IM sports are pretty big, especially football and softball. So the town isn't much, as you've probably heard, but the surrounding country is just as beautiful as people say. If you are outdoorsy, you will love it--cool stuff like Natural Bridge and several caverns close-by, lots of hiking/cycling to do, and oddities like Safari Park and Foamhenge (exactly what it sounds like). A lot of wineries near Charlottesville, which is just an hour away and a nice change of pace.

Miscellaneous: The Honor System is absolutely incredible (without peer, from everything I've been able to gather) and there is a genuine community here, even among law students, that you don't find many places. Hope this helps!

clwilson6

Postby clwilson6 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:02 am

generals10 wrote:I'm a W&L undergrad, so I wandered into this thread out of curiosity and thought I'd share thoughts on the town since I am procrastinating right now:

Food: Pretty good for a town of less than 10,000. But then again, it's a town of 10,000. There are all your typical fast food restaurants as well as a couple of sit-down chains--though no Chipotle/Qdoba or Chick-Fil-A, unfortunately. There are lots of nice little lunch places in town--Blue Sky and Joyful Spirit are probably the best, although guys won't feel very manly eating there. Sweet Treats is also nice, McCoy's and Macado's have decent sandwiches. For something a bit nicer, there are a handful of options. The Southern Inn is overrated (except for a great brunch), Tuscany is eh, The Sheridan Livery is almost always pretty good, and the Main Street Bistro is my favorite. It also has the best lunch in town: you won't pay much more than you would for a quick sandwich, and the quality is excellent. The Red Hen has overpriced local farm/livestock food, and there are a couple of other niche restaurants. Other than that, there are perplexingly many pizza/pasta/sub places (Salerno's is my favorite). The Healthy Foods Co-Op also has a mostly vegan lunch cafe (easily missed) that is surprisingly filling and usually quite tasty. If you can figure out their weird opening hours, don't forget to check out the Pink Hut for ice cream and Kenny Burger for unadulterated grease. Don Tequila's has pretty bad Mexican food, but if you're craving enchiladas, go for it and get a Jumbo Texas Margarita or two to top it off.

Campus: Gorgeous. The law school isn't as impressive as the Colonnade (national historic landmark), but the two campuses are separated by well less than a mile. Absolutely stunning, can't say enough about it really. Have only been in parts of the law school; it seems fairly nice. Very quiet, in my experience. Pretty good gym facilities for such a small school.

Town in general: Great feel and very pretty--IF you like small towns. Pretty much dominated by W&L and VMI. Cutesy shopping; the town plays up its historic nature (probably a bit too much--nothing much actually happened here).

Stuff to do: You've probably heard this before. Only Macado's and The Palms (which sucks) really feel like bars, although I think law students may hang out at a few of the restaurant bars as well. We have one three-screen movie theater and practically everything else is at least 45 minutes to an hour away (bowling, ice-skating, big shopping, concert venues, etc.). The school does a nice job of bringing speakers and stuff in, but don't fool yourself--the town is small and isolated. The undergrad scene is dominantly Greek, so I don't have too much to offer you in the way of creativity, but friends at the law school tell me that social life is very tight, because of the class size, and involves lots of house/apartment parties and law school functions. IM sports are pretty big, especially football and softball. So the town isn't much, as you've probably heard, but the surrounding country is just as beautiful as people say. If you are outdoorsy, you will love it--cool stuff like Natural Bridge and several caverns close-by, lots of hiking/cycling to do, and oddities like Safari Park and Foamhenge (exactly what it sounds like). A lot of wineries near Charlottesville, which is just an hour away and a nice change of pace.

Miscellaneous: The Honor System is absolutely incredible (without peer, from everything I've been able to gather) and there is a genuine community here, even among law students, that you don't find many places. Hope this helps!

What was your feel on the racial atmosphere in Lexington? The small size doesn't really scare me since I'm coming from a small southern town in Georgia that's probably smaller. However, I hear opinions for and against attending based on the "townies" racial bias. This is pretty important on helping me decide whether I will or will not attend because I am an AA male and married to a caucasian women with two bi-racial children. I can deal with racist and discriminatory remarks and comments but that's something that I've always tried to avoid putting my kids through.

generals10

Postby generals10 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:51 am

clwilson6 wrote:What was your feel on the racial atmosphere in Lexington? The small size doesn't really scare me since I'm coming from a small southern town in Georgia that's probably smaller. However, I hear opinions for and against attending based on the "townies" racial bias. This is pretty important on helping me decide whether I will or will not attend because I am an AA male and married to a caucasian women with two bi-racial children. I can deal with racist and discriminatory remarks and comments but that's something that I've always tried to avoid putting my kids through.

Honestly, I'm not sure how helpful I can be, since I'm white and since my interaction with "townies" is pretty limited. Lexington itself is pretty liberal and open-minded -- keep in mind, it is dominated by two colleges. I've never seen or heard of any overtly racist incidents in town, but that doesn't mean they don't happen. Surrounding Rockbridge County, as a very poor area in the rural South, undoubtedly contains some racists. I've never seen or heard anything that makes me think you should be overly worried about your kids being singled out for their race, but I have virtually no experience with the school system or other relevant situations.

Zapatero

Postby Zapatero » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:25 pm

Thanks, generals10! Awesome info. I think I need to make a visit, especially for Foamhenge (color me intrigued).

azb

Postby azb » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:55 pm

My online status checker said incomplete. I called the admissons and found out it was a mistake and my file is complete. The nice lady I talked to said I will receive an email about the processing time when my status is updated. However, I have not received anything yet, despite the fact my online status says comeplete now. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what the email says. It does not feel right to call admission again and ask them. Thanks!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”