Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
yinz

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby yinz » Sat May 15, 2010 3:10 pm

primusux wrote:
jmhendri wrote:what's going on with aid? anybody heard back or got an aid packet yet?

If you haven't received any by now I would proceed as though you will get none. I know they weren't negotiating at all prior to the deposit and that they received more deposits than they were expecting. So, all money is spoken for....unfortunately. :(

1. How does one obtain such (bold added by quoter) information?

2. Does one know the expected number of the incoming class this year?

3. Does one not like the personal noun?

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sat May 15, 2010 3:17 pm

yinz wrote:
primusux wrote:
jmhendri wrote:what's going on with aid? anybody heard back or got an aid packet yet?

If you haven't received any by now I would proceed as though you will get none. I know they weren't negotiating at all prior to the deposit and that they received more deposits than they were expecting. So, all money is spoken for....unfortunately. :(

1. How does one obtain such (bold added by quoter) information?

2. Does one know the expected number of the incoming class this year?

3. Does one not like the personal noun?

I'm in at W&L and asked for some money to help make the costs equivalent to my scholly at Wisconsin (a solid peer school) and they told me that they were over-committed with money, that they had more deposits than they expected and that it would be virtually impossible to give me any money. In other words, they are prepared to let me pass this coming deposit deadline.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Sun May 16, 2010 11:43 am

My loan package came yesterday. Even after subtracing my scholly and considering the maxed out stafford loans I almost fucking hyperventilated.

I hope this isn't a giant mistake.

slapchop

Postby slapchop » Tue May 18, 2010 1:46 am

I just got back from a visit to Lexington and am very excited about the next three years. Any uncertainties I had before have disappeared.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Tue May 18, 2010 4:28 am

slapchop wrote:I just got back from a visit to Lexington and am very excited about the next three years. Any uncertainties I had before have disappeared.

Glad to hear it. I had the same experience with my visit.

dclaw

Postby dclaw » Wed May 19, 2010 9:29 am

is anyone out there not putting a second deposit down?

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Wed May 19, 2010 1:16 pm

dclaw wrote:is anyone out there not putting a second deposit down?

I'm pretty sure I'm not but it isn't decided yet. I have a bit more research and soul-searching to do.

jaxangler

Postby jaxangler » Fri May 21, 2010 5:59 pm

I sent in my second deposit today. Could not be more ready to move up to Lexington and get started.

clwilson6

Postby clwilson6 » Fri May 21, 2010 10:55 pm

Although all of my tuition and fees will be paid for and I'll get a little stipend for living expenses, I'm still planning on getting government loans as a backup to help cover living expenses. I may not have to use any of it at all but just worried about running out of funding. If I don't use it, I plan on just giving the money back. Some people have advised me to not take the loan because paying the interest isn't worth the peace of mind that having the extra cash gives. Does anyone think doing this is a good idea or just financial paranoia?

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Fri May 21, 2010 10:56 pm

clwilson6 wrote:Although all of my tuition and fees will be paid for and I'll get a little stipend for living expenses, I'm still planning on getting government loans as a backup to help cover living expenses. I may not have to use any of it at all but just worried about running out of funding. If I don't use it, I plan on just giving the money back. Some people have advised me to not take the loan because paying the interest isn't worth the peace of mind that having the extra cash gives. Does anyone think doing this is a good idea or just financial paranoia?

Only take out the federally subsidized ones...then it really costs you nothing. In fact, you'd make money...granted it'd be at 1-2%/yr, but it's still interest and the gov. will be covering the interest on your loans!

primusux

Postby primusux » Sat May 22, 2010 5:53 am

clwilson6 wrote:Although all of my tuition and fees will be paid for and I'll get a little stipend for living expenses, I'm still planning on getting government loans as a backup to help cover living expenses. I may not have to use any of it at all but just worried about running out of funding. If I don't use it, I plan on just giving the money back. Some people have advised me to not take the loan because paying the interest isn't worth the peace of mind that having the extra cash gives. Does anyone think doing this is a good idea or just financial paranoia?

I honestly do not mean this to be offensive, but, a 151/3.2 got full tuition and a stipend at W&L? Who did I piss off to get so screwed?

acoon624

Postby acoon624 » Sat May 22, 2010 11:17 am

I got dinged for Washington and Lee yet they send me a brochure today entitled "The new word in legal education" showing me all these smiling people graduating and boasting how good the school is...way to rub it in Washington and Lee.

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Sat May 22, 2010 4:15 pm

wow.......just.......wow

yinz

Postby yinz » Sat May 22, 2010 5:01 pm

[Retracted]
Last edited by yinz on Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mountaintime

Postby mountaintime » Sun May 23, 2010 7:13 pm

Second Seat Deposit doesn't require that we withdraw from other schools does it? I really want to ride out a couple waitlists, and I can't find anything that says I'm not allowed to.

FUMAgrad05

Postby FUMAgrad05 » Mon May 24, 2010 8:17 am

mountaintime wrote:Second Seat Deposit doesn't require that we withdraw from other schools does it? I really want to ride out a couple waitlists, and I can't find anything that says I'm not allowed to.

No. In fact, they have a spot on he form for you to list what schools you are waiting to hear from (I guess so they have a better idea about their potential yield)

clwilson6

Postby clwilson6 » Mon May 24, 2010 4:33 pm

primusux wrote:

I honestly do not mean this to be offensive, but, a 151/3.2 got full tuition and a stipend at W&L? Who did I piss off to get so screwed?

No offense taken, a reasonable question. My tuition isn't being paid by W&L. In fact, I'm getting no financial aid from the school other than assistance through the Yellow Ribbon Program. The government is paying the rest through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I think I deserved as much from the military after 20 years of service, two combat tours and lifelong medical problems caused by service. Would you disagree? Didn't mean to make it sound like the school was paying me to go there.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Mon May 24, 2010 4:53 pm

clwilson6 wrote:No offense taken, a reasonable question. My tuition isn't being paid by W&L. In fact, I'm getting no financial aid from the school other than assistance through the Yellow Ribbon Program. The government is paying the rest through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I think I deserved as much from the military after 20 years of service, two combat tours and lifelong medical problems caused by service. Would you disagree? Didn't mean to make it sound like the school was paying me to go there.

God bless you, sir. Was that you at admitted students' weekend with your wife? Looking forward to being in your class.

clwilson6

Postby clwilson6 » Mon May 24, 2010 5:02 pm

quadsixm wrote:
clwilson6 wrote:No offense taken, a reasonable question. My tuition isn't being paid by W&L. In fact, I'm getting no financial aid from the school other than assistance through the Yellow Ribbon Program. The government is paying the rest through the Post 9/11 GI Bill. I think I deserved as much from the military after 20 years of service, two combat tours and lifelong medical problems caused by service. Would you disagree? Didn't mean to make it sound like the school was paying me to go there.

God bless you, sir. Was that you at admitted students' weekend with your wife? Looking forward to being in your class.

Yep, that was me. What did you think of the admitted students weekend? I had a good time and learned a lot about the school. My mind was already pretty much made up prior to that because of the financing but I wanted to be sure before I truly committed. I'm hearing that the school has received more deposits on seats than they were expecting. Is it possible that they may have underestimated and overfilled the seats? I've found a place and am living here in Lexington right now and have been up to the school on various occasions. If anyone has any questions about what I think of the town and the school so far, feel free to ask.

primusux

Postby primusux » Mon May 24, 2010 6:55 pm

clwilson6 wrote:
quadsixm wrote:

Yep, that was me. What did you think of the admitted students weekend? I had a good time and learned a lot about the school. My mind was already pretty much made up prior to that because of the financing but I wanted to be sure before I truly committed. I'm hearing that the school has received more deposits on seats than they were expecting. Is it possible that they may have underestimated and overfilled the seats? I've found a place and am living here in Lexington right now and have been up to the school on various occasions. If anyone has any questions about what I think of the town and the school so far, feel free to ask.

First let me say I appreciate your dedication to the service. Second, when I heard the term 'stipend' I automatically thought it was coming from the school. I haven't heard of a stipend other than being from a school, so I was clearly in the wrong. :)

All that being said, I wish you the best at W&L!

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Mon May 24, 2010 7:14 pm

clwilson6 wrote:Yep, that was me. What did you think of the admitted students weekend? I had a good time and learned a lot about the school. My mind was already pretty much made up prior to that because of the financing but I wanted to be sure before I truly committed. I'm hearing that the school has received more deposits on seats than they were expecting. Is it possible that they may have underestimated and overfilled the seats? I've found a place and am living here in Lexington right now and have been up to the school on various occasions. If anyone has any questions about what I think of the town and the school so far, feel free to ask.

I enjoyed the admitted students' weekend quite a bit. It helped to alleviate a lot of my concerns. The town was small as expected, but I really enjoyed the environment - the interaction with the students and faculty was excellent.

How are you enjoying Lexington so far? Where do you do most of your grocery shopping? Any incidents with Townies?
Last edited by quadsixm on Mon May 31, 2010 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dclaw

Postby dclaw » Tue May 25, 2010 12:50 pm

any waitlist news???

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Tue May 25, 2010 6:27 pm

clwilson6 wrote:
quadsixm wrote:

I think Mr. Twitty said the school was pretty firm about not over-admitting people this year. Hopefully they took the higher volume of applicants this year into consideration. Hope you and your family are enjoying Lexington so far. Look forward to meeting you in August.

yinz

Postby yinz » Thu May 27, 2010 1:42 pm

Did anyone mistakenly receive a mass "Transfer Student" email from the school yesterday with a Thoreau quote as the lead-in?

I am an admitted student, but neither a transfer nor a Thoreau enthusiast, so I was hoping someone could corroborate.

primusux

Postby primusux » Thu May 27, 2010 2:56 pm

yinz wrote:Did anyone mistakenly receive a mass "Transfer Student" email from the school yesterday with a Thoreau quote as the lead-in?

I am an admitted student, but neither a transfer nor a Thoreau enthusiast, so I was hoping someone could corroborate.

Negative

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”