Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
freeman09
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby freeman09 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:02 pm

I asked and received an email detailing a similar situation about scholarships.

However, I also asked about any changes following deposits. They said scholarship money is redistributed if there's anything left.

Same story but nothing unusual or rude on W&L's part.

primusux
Posts: 297
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:02 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby primusux » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:06 pm

freeman09 wrote:I asked and received an email detailing a similar situation about scholarships.

However, I also asked about any changes following deposits. They said scholarship money is redistributed if there's anything left.

Same story but nothing unusual or rude on W&L's part.



I was told, by them, it is very rare that they give any more money after the deposit. They have no incentive to do any shuffling after they have your deposit.

User avatar
SAE
Posts: 650
Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:47 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby SAE » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:17 pm

primusux wrote:
freeman09 wrote:I asked and received an email detailing a similar situation about scholarships.

However, I also asked about any changes following deposits. They said scholarship money is redistributed if there's anything left.

Same story but nothing unusual or rude on W&L's part.



I was told, by them, it is very rare that they give any more money after the deposit. They have no incentive to do any shuffling after they have your deposit.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

freeman09
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:06 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby freeman09 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:08 pm

Of course they have no incentive.

Not much different than any other school.

However, their outreach is great and they've been nothing but polite.

FUMAgrad05
Posts: 29
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:45 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby FUMAgrad05 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:28 pm

My only problem with this line of reasoning is that after first deposits I'm sure they will have a bunch of people who they gave a lot of money to who turn down the offer to go to higher ranked schools, especially this year since they had no app fee. So, they have to have a bunch of money that they gave out left over after they receive first deposits. If this is the case, then I don't see any reason why they wouldn't give it out. Maybe they won't give out more money to people who they already offered money to because they have already decided "what you are worth to them"? Hopefully they will be giving some of that money to people who didn't get a scholarship offer the first go round, like me haha. Wishful thinking I know, but even though my GPA is really low, they still accepted me after my after only having my app for two weeks, and I was accepted at a few similarly ranked and higher ranked schools, so they must really like something...

User avatar
T14_Scholly
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby T14_Scholly » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:31 pm

FUMAgrad05 wrote:My only problem with this line of reasoning is that after first deposits I'm sure they will have a bunch of people who they gave a lot of money to who turn down the offer to go to higher ranked schools, especially this year since they had no app fee. So, they have to have a bunch of money that they gave out left over after they receive first deposits. If this is the case, then I don't see any reason why they wouldn't give it out. Maybe they won't give out more money to people who they already offered money to because they have already decided "what you are worth to them"? Hopefully they will be giving some of that money to people who didn't get a scholarship offer the first go round, like me haha. Wishful thinking I know, but even though my GPA is really low, they still accepted me after my after only having my app for two weeks, and I was accepted at a few similarly ranked and higher ranked schools, so they must really like something...


They'll use it to get people off the WL.

User avatar
presh
Posts: 7987
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:00 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby presh » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:36 am

.
Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby dk8 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:50 am

anyone with a scholarship know if the seat deposit is binding?

User avatar
GordonBombay
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby GordonBombay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:53 am

dk8 wrote:anyone with a scholarship know if the seat deposit is binding?


On the same not, would depositing somewhere else void the scholarship/ acceptance?

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby dk8 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:54 am

GordonBombay wrote:
dk8 wrote:anyone with a scholarship know if the seat deposit is binding?


On the same not, would depositing somewhere else void the scholarship/ acceptance?


I just re-read the page about deposits. The deposit is non-refundable but says nothing about being binding. It doesn't say anything about not depositing elsewhere.

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby jmhendri » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:28 am

I'm fairly certain they're not aloud to bind you via seat deposits. They don't represent a contract like the binding decision does. They're just non refundable. The purpose of having two is to make it more difficult to change your mind later in the process.

User avatar
GordonBombay
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby GordonBombay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:24 pm

dk8 wrote:
GordonBombay wrote:
dk8 wrote:anyone with a scholarship know if the seat deposit is binding?


On the same not, would depositing somewhere else void the scholarship/ acceptance?


I just re-read the page about deposits. The deposit is non-refundable but says nothing about being binding. It doesn't say anything about not depositing elsewhere.


link?

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby dk8 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:52 pm

GordonBombay wrote:
dk8 wrote:
GordonBombay wrote:
dk8 wrote:anyone with a scholarship know if the seat deposit is binding?


On the same not, would depositing somewhere else void the scholarship/ acceptance?


I just re-read the page about deposits. The deposit is non-refundable but says nothing about being binding. It doesn't say anything about not depositing elsewhere.


link?


It's on the W&L site and I'm too lazy to find it again.

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby jmhendri » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:10 pm

Has anyone received a loan package yet? My FAFSA was just completed and I'm curious about what to expect as far as dates, deadlines, and possible financial aid.

User avatar
GordonBombay
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby GordonBombay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:17 pm

jmhendri wrote:Has anyone received a loan package yet? My FAFSA was just completed and I'm curious about what to expect as far as dates, deadlines, and possible financial aid.


Spoke to Brett Twitty as I hadnt either

He wrote

I would encourage you to contact Cynthia Hintze at chintze@wlu.edu or 540.458.8032.

User avatar
jmhendri
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:33 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby jmhendri » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:44 pm

GordonBombay wrote:
jmhendri wrote:Has anyone received a loan package yet? My FAFSA was just completed and I'm curious about what to expect as far as dates, deadlines, and possible financial aid.


Spoke to Brett Twitty as I hadnt either

He wrote

I would encourage you to contact Cynthia Hintze at chintze@wlu.edu or 540.458.8032.


Just emailed her. loans are scary.

nol607
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby nol607 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:49 pm

Does anyone have any ideas what yield might be this year? I attended the waitlisted students' day and loved the school. Ambivalent about the town, felt that the civil war was ongoing, but really sold on the school. In the likely event that the ranking improves there could be a higher yield, but I can't help but feel that tons of people with no interest in attending applied just for the hell of it. Anything substantitive about WL's WL, in this cycle or the past? Was this the first year W&L had a free application?

User avatar
GordonBombay
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby GordonBombay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:11 pm

" felt that the civil war was ongoing"

/dying. Welcome to VA, you're going to love Richmond.

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby quadsixm » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Putting down the deposit today! Pretty stoked. I'm riding out a hold and WL elsewhere, but am certainly excited about being in Lexington in the fall.

Lol at the "ongoing civil war" comment. I had a similar feeling around/in Lexington while visiting for ASW, but I loved the campus and community.

Mocker21
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:51 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Mocker21 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:56 pm

I visited Lexington and put down my deposit last weekend... I'm still riding a waitlist or two, but I am excited about W&L. I definitely got the same vibe from the town as you guys did, though "it seems like the civil war is still ongoing" captures the town's feel better than anything I could've come up with.

I take it I won't be the only northeast liberal at the school though, right? I've heard that despite the conservative nature of the town and the UG school, W&L Law is pretty well balanced (I hope).

statuscheckerssuck
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:20 am

Mocker21 wrote:I visited Lexington and put down my deposit last weekend... I'm still riding a waitlist or two, but I am excited about W&L. I definitely got the same vibe from the town as you guys did, though "it seems like the civil war is still ongoing" captures the town's feel better than anything I could've come up with.

I take it I won't be the only northeast liberal at the school though, right? I've heard that despite the conservative nature of the town and the UG school, W&L Law is pretty well balanced (I hope).


Depending on whether or not you classify Maryland as northern, I could be considered another northeast liberal. :)

nol607
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby nol607 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:07 am

Law school actually didn't strike me as really conservative. More of a political hybrid/salman rushdiesque creation- like a guy from Massachusetts who packs lips and favors tort reform but owns a puggle.

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby quadsixm » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:20 am

I'll be bringin' some California dreamin'!

Mocker21 wrote:I take it I won't be the only northeast liberal at the school though, right? I've heard that despite the conservative nature of the town and the UG school, W&L Law is pretty well balanced (I hope).

nol607
Posts: 182
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby nol607 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:20 am

I'm a yank.

waxloaf
Posts: 103
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby waxloaf » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:08 am

nol607 wrote:Law school actually didn't strike me as really conservative. More of a political hybrid/salman rushdiesque creation- like a guy from Massachusetts who packs lips and favors tort reform but owns a puggle.


nice job




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acz26, ashrice13, Baby Gaga, Bing [Bot], chili_davis, gilmoregirrrl, guybourdin, lazarzhr, longsh0305, mm2368, Mr. Bubbles, PDX4343, proteinshake, taro14, tinafeyclone, Yahoo [Bot] and 34 guests