Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
freeman09

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby freeman09 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 4:02 pm

I asked and received an email detailing a similar situation about scholarships.

However, I also asked about any changes following deposits. They said scholarship money is redistributed if there's anything left.

Same story but nothing unusual or rude on W&L's part.

primusux

Postby primusux » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:06 pm

freeman09 wrote:I asked and received an email detailing a similar situation about scholarships.

However, I also asked about any changes following deposits. They said scholarship money is redistributed if there's anything left.

I was told, by them, it is very rare that they give any more money after the deposit. They have no incentive to do any shuffling after they have your deposit.

SAE

Postby SAE » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:17 pm

primusux wrote:
freeman09 wrote:I asked and received an email detailing a similar situation about scholarships.

I was told, by them, it is very rare that they give any more money after the deposit. They have no incentive to do any shuffling after they have your deposit.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:08 pm

Of course they have no incentive.

Not much different than any other school.

However, their outreach is great and they've been nothing but polite.

FUMAgrad05

Postby FUMAgrad05 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:28 pm

My only problem with this line of reasoning is that after first deposits I'm sure they will have a bunch of people who they gave a lot of money to who turn down the offer to go to higher ranked schools, especially this year since they had no app fee. So, they have to have a bunch of money that they gave out left over after they receive first deposits. If this is the case, then I don't see any reason why they wouldn't give it out. Maybe they won't give out more money to people who they already offered money to because they have already decided "what you are worth to them"? Hopefully they will be giving some of that money to people who didn't get a scholarship offer the first go round, like me haha. Wishful thinking I know, but even though my GPA is really low, they still accepted me after my after only having my app for two weeks, and I was accepted at a few similarly ranked and higher ranked schools, so they must really like something...

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:31 pm

FUMAgrad05 wrote:My only problem with this line of reasoning is that after first deposits I'm sure they will have a bunch of people who they gave a lot of money to who turn down the offer to go to higher ranked schools, especially this year since they had no app fee. So, they have to have a bunch of money that they gave out left over after they receive first deposits. If this is the case, then I don't see any reason why they wouldn't give it out. Maybe they won't give out more money to people who they already offered money to because they have already decided "what you are worth to them"? Hopefully they will be giving some of that money to people who didn't get a scholarship offer the first go round, like me haha. Wishful thinking I know, but even though my GPA is really low, they still accepted me after my after only having my app for two weeks, and I was accepted at a few similarly ranked and higher ranked schools, so they must really like something...

They'll use it to get people off the WL.

presh

Postby presh » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:36 am

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:50 am

anyone with a scholarship know if the seat deposit is binding?

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:53 am

dk8 wrote:anyone with a scholarship know if the seat deposit is binding?

On the same not, would depositing somewhere else void the scholarship/ acceptance?

dk8

Postby dk8 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:54 am

GordonBombay wrote:

On the same not, would depositing somewhere else void the scholarship/ acceptance?

I just re-read the page about deposits. The deposit is non-refundable but says nothing about being binding. It doesn't say anything about not depositing elsewhere.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:28 am

I'm fairly certain they're not aloud to bind you via seat deposits. They don't represent a contract like the binding decision does. They're just non refundable. The purpose of having two is to make it more difficult to change your mind later in the process.

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:24 pm

dk8 wrote:
GordonBombay wrote:

I just re-read the page about deposits. The deposit is non-refundable but says nothing about being binding. It doesn't say anything about not depositing elsewhere.

link?

dk8

Postby dk8 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:52 pm

GordonBombay wrote:
dk8 wrote:
GordonBombay wrote:

link?

It's on the W&L site and I'm too lazy to find it again.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:10 pm

Has anyone received a loan package yet? My FAFSA was just completed and I'm curious about what to expect as far as dates, deadlines, and possible financial aid.

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:17 pm

jmhendri wrote:Has anyone received a loan package yet? My FAFSA was just completed and I'm curious about what to expect as far as dates, deadlines, and possible financial aid.

Spoke to Brett Twitty as I hadnt either

He wrote

I would encourage you to contact Cynthia Hintze at chintze@wlu.edu or 540.458.8032.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:44 pm

GordonBombay wrote:
jmhendri wrote:Has anyone received a loan package yet? My FAFSA was just completed and I'm curious about what to expect as far as dates, deadlines, and possible financial aid.

Spoke to Brett Twitty as I hadnt either

He wrote

I would encourage you to contact Cynthia Hintze at chintze@wlu.edu or 540.458.8032.

Just emailed her. loans are scary.

nol607

Postby nol607 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:49 pm

Does anyone have any ideas what yield might be this year? I attended the waitlisted students' day and loved the school. Ambivalent about the town, felt that the civil war was ongoing, but really sold on the school. In the likely event that the ranking improves there could be a higher yield, but I can't help but feel that tons of people with no interest in attending applied just for the hell of it. Anything substantitive about WL's WL, in this cycle or the past? Was this the first year W&L had a free application?

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:11 pm

" felt that the civil war was ongoing"

/dying. Welcome to VA, you're going to love Richmond.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:43 pm

Putting down the deposit today! Pretty stoked. I'm riding out a hold and WL elsewhere, but am certainly excited about being in Lexington in the fall.

Lol at the "ongoing civil war" comment. I had a similar feeling around/in Lexington while visiting for ASW, but I loved the campus and community.

Mocker21

Postby Mocker21 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:56 pm

I visited Lexington and put down my deposit last weekend... I'm still riding a waitlist or two, but I am excited about W&L. I definitely got the same vibe from the town as you guys did, though "it seems like the civil war is still ongoing" captures the town's feel better than anything I could've come up with.

I take it I won't be the only northeast liberal at the school though, right? I've heard that despite the conservative nature of the town and the UG school, W&L Law is pretty well balanced (I hope).

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:20 am

Mocker21 wrote:I visited Lexington and put down my deposit last weekend... I'm still riding a waitlist or two, but I am excited about W&L. I definitely got the same vibe from the town as you guys did, though "it seems like the civil war is still ongoing" captures the town's feel better than anything I could've come up with.

I take it I won't be the only northeast liberal at the school though, right? I've heard that despite the conservative nature of the town and the UG school, W&L Law is pretty well balanced (I hope).

Depending on whether or not you classify Maryland as northern, I could be considered another northeast liberal. :)

nol607

Postby nol607 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:07 am

Law school actually didn't strike me as really conservative. More of a political hybrid/salman rushdiesque creation- like a guy from Massachusetts who packs lips and favors tort reform but owns a puggle.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:20 am

I'll be bringin' some California dreamin'!

Mocker21 wrote:I take it I won't be the only northeast liberal at the school though, right? I've heard that despite the conservative nature of the town and the UG school, W&L Law is pretty well balanced (I hope).

nol607

Postby nol607 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:20 am

I'm a yank.

waxloaf

Postby waxloaf » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:08 am

nol607 wrote:Law school actually didn't strike me as really conservative. More of a political hybrid/salman rushdiesque creation- like a guy from Massachusetts who packs lips and favors tort reform but owns a puggle.

nice job

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”