Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jmhendri

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby jmhendri » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:05 pm

Some interesting W&L trivia I didn't hear at ASW... W&L was all male until 1972.

nol607

Postby nol607 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:07 pm

Isn't it still around 69% male or am I mistaken?

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:11 pm

Really? I thought the last entering class's ratio was 50/50... but I don't remember where I heard that.

or close to it I should say.

From the W&L Law Website:

Class Size:

The entering class size for Class of 2013: Targeted at 138.

Our current first year class consists of 135 students and includes graduates from 95 different undergraduate institutions and 30 different states. Females make up 50% of the class and diverse students comprise 23% of the newest group of students to join our campus community. Our median age is 25.

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:54 pm

jmhendri wrote:Really? I thought the last entering class's ratio was 50/50... but I don't remember where I heard that.

or close to it I should say.

From the W&L Law Website:

Class Size:

The entering class size for Class of 2013: Targeted at 138.

Our current first year class consists of 135 students and includes graduates from 95 different undergraduate institutions and 30 different states. Females make up 50% of the class and diverse students comprise 23% of the newest group of students to join our campus community. Our median age is 25.

Class of 2011 is 75:53 male:female, so ~59% male. I would imagine the ratio fluctuates quite a bit due to the small size of the class.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:48 pm

just got a large envelope with ~10 letters from distinguished W&L alumni

nol607

Postby nol607 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:54 pm

Is there a shuttle to lexington from the Roanoke airport? If so, how much does it cost? How do you get from one to the other?

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:17 pm

nol607 wrote:Is there a shuttle to lexington from the Roanoke airport? If so, how much does it cost? How do you get from one to the other?

For the asw they had students pick us up and drop us off. The guy who picked us up said there was may be a taxi who would make the drive or an irregular "shuttle" does as well

nol607

Postby nol607 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:20 pm

That doesn't sound promising- I didn't see any indication of there being anything for this weekend.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:26 pm

To and from the airport there was a shuttle that the school provided for ASW. I believe normally it's something like 45$ each way.

The shuttle service run by students was called Traveler's. It's a service the school provides to shuttle students around Lexington at night to prevent drunk driving. That service runs certain days between 10pm and 2am.

There are also Taxis available, although I'm not sure what the expense would be to and from the airport.

Snazzygirl

Postby Snazzygirl » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:56 pm

If you need a shuttle service to and from Roanoke, please call the following company several days in advance to schedule service. Service is approximately $65 each way.

Roanoke Airport Transportation Services
http://www.roanokeats.com
(540) 345-7710

We (as waitlisted applicants) do not get the perks that the admitted students got. We're on our own (completely understandable, but still like a slap in the face)

ps -I think I'm just going to rent a car - a day's rate will be much cheaper than the shuttle.

nol607

Postby nol607 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:27 pm

I just booked a ride at 3:50 p.m. for tomorrow, April 8, from Roanoke Airport Transportation. If anyone wants to share my ride, PM me.

cariberry

Postby cariberry » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:15 pm

dk8 wrote:just got a large envelope with ~10 letters from distinguished W&L alumni

Yep, me, too.

tonic12

Postby tonic12 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:03 am

jmhendri wrote:Some interesting W&L trivia I didn't hear at ASW... W&L was all male until 1972.

They just named the first african american editor in chief of law review this year.

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:23 pm

I've had similar concerns about employment. However, I think W&L isn't a bad choice.

I visited George Mason this week and it has nowhere near the character or emphasis on students. I think the 3L at W&L offers a great preparatory experience for actual legal work.

Guess its time to fork over the cash. I'll see what the William and Mary and UVA waitlist do, but I'm excited about being at Lexington nonetheless.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:31 pm

primusux wrote:
itzbouttime wrote:
primusux wrote:Dang...only 3 in CA. :(

Also the majority of the current students did say that they found their summer internships/jobs from the Alumni connection. So, just because the list of onsite recruiters wasn't long doesn't mean anything.

I disagree somewhat. While I did get the impression that alums try to help out recent graduates, the current students I spoke with stated they found their jobs without any connection to the school at all. One woman found hers through her mom, who is a lawyer, in DC. The other lived at some judge's house who offered him a position. And yet another obtained his through someone that was in his same UG fraternity but was not a W&L law grad.

I understand networking is part of life, you get what you put in etc. However, I would strongly caution against this belief that W&L alums are placing recent graduates to any special degree. Just my opinion though. I still greatly enjoyed my visit.

I'm not sure if it's to a "special" degree, but I spoke with several students who found employment specifically through the alumni network.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:13 pm

Just dropped my seat deposit at W&L. I've never in my life been so thrilled to be so broke.

itzbouttime

Postby itzbouttime » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:45 pm

dk8 wrote:just got a large envelope with ~10 letters from distinguished W&L alumni

+1

W&L has impressed me from the very beginning and they continue to do so. I've already submitted my deposit and could not be any happier :D

primusux

Postby primusux » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:55 pm

So...W&L is not interested in talking money with applicants (or at least me haha). When I asked about possible scholarship increases I received a pretty curt response stating they already thoroughly evaluated my application and can't match or try to match other universities no matter what the rank. There was also a nice sentence in there about how every student would like an increase. Really? Shocking! :roll:

I don't know, I understand what they're saying but something about the way it was worded rubbed me the wrong way today.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:59 pm

primusux wrote:So...W&L is not interested in talking money with applicants (or at least me haha). When I asked about possible scholarship increases I received a pretty curt response stating they already thoroughly evaluated my application and can't match or try to match other universities no matter what the rank. There was also a nice sentence in there about how every student would like an increase. Really? Shocking! :roll:

I don't know, I understand what they're saying but something about the way it was worded rubbed me the wrong way today.

I had a similar experience and I know what you mean about the wording.

I also got the packet of letters today. It was a very strong move on their part

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:10 pm

fathergoose wrote:
primusux wrote:So...W&L is not interested in talking money with applicants (or at least me haha). When I asked about possible scholarship increases I received a pretty curt response stating they already thoroughly evaluated my application and can't match or try to match other universities no matter what the rank. There was also a nice sentence in there about how every student would like an increase. Really? Shocking! :roll:

[/quote

Who did you speak with?

has anyone ever been successful?

mountaintime

Postby mountaintime » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:16 pm

fathergoose wrote:

I also got the packet of letters today. It was a very strong move on their part

a scholarship would have been a stronger move. i received the letters a couple days ago, and i wasn't impressed.

SAE

Postby SAE » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:15 am

Got the packet of letters. Also, got my reimbursement check for the March ASD.

Great work, W&L!!!

SAE

Postby SAE » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:21 am

fathergoose wrote:

Got the same thing. Pretty sure it's a copy-paste job for everyone. I don't think there's anything to get pissed off about - many other schools don't negotiate money and are pretty upfront about it.

waxloaf

Postby waxloaf » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:55 am

I think its just policy there not to negotiate

Clair1331

Postby Clair1331 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:05 am

[quote="waxloaf"]I think its just policy there not to negotiate[/quote]

+1

I went to the March ASW, and asked about scholarship negotiations. The answer was a clear no. They don't adjust scholarships from the initial offer.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”