Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Katherine

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Katherine » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:11 pm

Anyone know how much going to the waitlisted preview day and interviewing helps move you off the wait list?

goingoingone

Postby goingoingone » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:47 pm

fathergoose wrote:The ASW this weekend was outstanding. The campus is beyond gorgeous, the facility is awesome, and they really did a good job selling the third year program. The current students were really friendly and went out of their way to hang out with us. I still have some concerns about how small W&L and Lexington are and job prospects in non DC markets but I am very impressed otherwise.

Anybody else there this weekend? Your thoughts about it?

I was also impressed by this weekend. I was so relieved to see students who seemed happy to be there. I was also glad to hear about the low cost of living in an area that seemed very livable. Everything just seemed right for me this weekend.

On that note, is anyone looking for a roommate for this fall? I'm not really looking to move down until late July/early August.

skamike

Postby skamike » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:17 pm

I was down as well, and I have to say, the hospitality was unparalleled. (and the 2.75 schooners didn't hurt either) They really made a case for themselves, that's for sure. Barring some big money at schools that haven't decided on me yet (Indiana, I'm looking at you) I can honestly say I'm going to be a General (that's what they call themselves, right?)

also, I nearly died when I saw a horse drawn carriage traveling through the streets.

84Sunbird2000

Postby 84Sunbird2000 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 10:22 pm

The campus IS beautiful, but I found the law facilities only mediocre. Don't get me wrong - they are nice enough - but the "early 80s-ness" of much of the building (and the library specifically) and the lack of windows in a lot of areas (including one of the main carrel areas) bothered me. The hospitality was excellent, and I actually had a lot more fun the second night (watching the NCAA tourney with some other prospective students at the two bars) than at the patio party. Their career services seems to be very pro-active, which is very re-assuring. Lexington was also considerably cooler than I expected.

I think I'd be more willing to commit if I liked the 3L program more. However, in one of the presentations the prof said, "Law school has historically been more like a combination of philosophy and political science, and we're trying to change that". Philosophy+Political Science is precisely what I AM looking for in a lawl skool. Additionally, I'm very interested in public interest and government, and on the pie chart they put up, they had 0.01% (??) for public interest for the class of 2009. That's a definite downer. Plus $1500 in total deposits (yikes!).

So, I think I'm actually leaning away from W&L, but I liked some things about it so much that I'm afraid to withdraw.

Also, on a side note, decided to hike in the nearby mountains today, and got very lost (relatively few trail markings...). Nonetheless, there is some stunning scenery up on Mt. Pleasant and Pompey Mountain.

law_lover

Postby law_lover » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:37 am

I was also down in Lexington this past weekend. The campus was beautiful. I even had a chance to go see a movie around the corner at the theater (I believe it was showing a total of 3 movies).

The third year program sounded interesting, but the number of surrounding opportunities for 125+ students is a concern for me. Tuition is also a concern; however, cost of living is not.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:00 pm

I LOVED it. Gorgeous campus, prestigious faculty, I thought the facilities were great, (compared even to some other higher ranked campuses I've seen (campuses or campi?)) they sold me on the third year and the transnational programs, and the current students seemed happy, friendly and fun.

I just don't know about their taste in drinking games. I didn't get that weird card/thumb thing and the warm bud light didn't help.

Also the bartenders at Macado's were awful.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:04 pm

jmhendri wrote:

Glad someone else noticed it. I went to the March ASW and it was taking forever to get drinks. They were swamped though, so I'll give them a break.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:07 pm

dk8 wrote:
jmhendri wrote:

Glad someone else noticed it. I went to the March ASW and it was taking forever to get drinks. They were swamped though, so I'll give them a break.

They were rude and not used to crowds that large. They need to be sent to be sent to bartender camp for the summer.

skamike

Postby skamike » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:36 pm

jmhendri wrote:
dk8 wrote:
jmhendri wrote:

They were rude and not used to crowds that large. They need to be sent to be sent to bartender camp for the summer.

I didn't experience this. The waitresses to us were friendly and prompt. Not overly accommodating, but definitely not rude. However, this does remind me of how my preconceptions of the state were crushed. I was expecting 'southern hospitality'. Girls there seemed kind of...uninviting.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:49 pm

jmhendri wrote:I just don't know about their taste in drinking games. I didn't get that weird card/thumb thing and the warm bud light didn't help.

those sneeky thumbmasters. And I'm also more than a little concerned that the late night cab service is a guy in a busted old Volvo who claims his daughter is going to the olympics.

Bobalou

Postby Bobalou » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:50 pm

Anyone still not heard yet?

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:59 pm

fathergoose wrote:
jmhendri wrote:I just don't know about their taste in drinking games. I didn't get that weird card/thumb thing and the warm bud light didn't help.

those sneeky thumbmasters. And I'm also more than a little concerned that the late night cab service is a guy in a busted old Volvo who claims his daughter is going to the olympics.

I left my phone in that cab and they called my mom to let her know. They told her they picked me up from some big wild party...

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:19 pm

Hahaha well maybe drinking games at an apartment is considered a wild party in Lexington. Although from what I gathered, the students seem to have a lot of fun together despite their lack of traditional social outlets.

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:20 pm

jmhendri wrote:
fathergoose wrote:

I left my phone in that cab and they called my mom to let her know. They told her they picked me up from some big wild party...

hahahaha win.

I agree about the bartenders. On friday night I ordered a drink (one of the schooners), afterwhich they brought everyone else's drinks (after about 20 minutes) and then as an afterthought informed me that they were out of the beer I wanted. It then took another 20 minutes to get my beer after I told them what I wanted instead. I mean I understanding bar-tending can get hectic, but come on this was early on in the night before the place was even close to crowded.

Aside from that though the weekend was great. I really enjoyed the patio party and although I did not go out saturday night, I heard it was a great time.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:32 pm

I was also informed there is an excellent haberdasher in Lexington and that there is some geographical rivalry between Northern and Southern Virginia. Very interesting weekend.

alighieri

Postby alighieri » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:35 pm

Visited today. Gorgeous campus. Seems like a lovely program. Too bad I'm wait-listed. In my interview I made my affinity for the school clear--I asked if they ever tell wait-listers that they could take them next year but not this year. They said no, but I told them I'd consider it if they did.

They also said the latest I may hear back that I got pulled from the wait list is August, the earliest late April. I really wanna go, we'll see.

sailgclass

Postby sailgclass » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:21 pm

fathergoose wrote:I was also informed there is an excellent haberdasher in Lexington and that there is some geographical rivalry between Northern and Southern Virginia. Very interesting weekend.

You have said much too much to not be someone I got wasted with sat night. I was the guy wearing the bow tie.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:24 pm

um, i got deferred today. I was originally complete on 11/14 and I have a 167/3.09. I'm pretty annoyed. Numerous people on LSN with worse numbers and much later applications received decisions. Will be withdrawing tomorrow.

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:31 pm

sailgclass wrote:
fathergoose wrote:I was also informed there is an excellent haberdasher in Lexington and that there is some geographical rivalry between Northern and Southern Virginia. Very interesting weekend.

You have said much too much to not be someone I got wasted with sat night. I was the guy wearing the bow tie.

Like I said before, you would wear a bow tie.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:35 pm

I was convinced it was a clip on until he did a nice little knotting demonstration. Very nice work.

fathergoose

Postby fathergoose » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:38 pm

sailgclass wrote:

Hahaha indeed. I sat immediately to your right at dinner Saturday.

sailgclass

Postby sailgclass » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:07 pm

fathergoose wrote:
sailgclass wrote:

Well then. Your water bottle is sitting in the front seat of my jeep still. Let me know if you want me to drop it in the mail. Also are you still leaning W&L? I'm going to UNC this weekend in an attempt to decide I would rather be in Lexington this fall. Hopefully I don't like their law school too much.

Does anyone know what happened to the guy who passed out? Did he make it to his room or did we leave him somewhere funny.

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:14 pm

sailgclass wrote:
fathergoose wrote:
sailgclass wrote:

Well then. Your water bottle is sitting in the front seat of my jeep still. Let me know if you want me to drop it in the mail. Also are you still leaning W&L? I'm going to UNC this weekend in an attempt to decide I would rather be in Lexington this fall. Hopefully I don't like their law school too much.

Does anyone know what happened to the guy who passed out? Did he make it to his room or did we leave him somewhere funny.

I hope you left him somewhere funny. The library of the law school perhaps? Could have been interesting when students started to come in to study on Sunday.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:18 pm

Where ever he woke up, it was to some pretty old school sharpy doodles all over his face thanks to the current students.
Last edited by jmhendri on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goingoingone

Postby goingoingone » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:19 pm

Last edited by goingoingone on Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”