Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
GymTanLawSchool
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby GymTanLawSchool » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:00 pm

+1 Waitlisted as well. Probably going to admitted students weekend. I just finished my UM admitted students weekend and was almost 100% going there. This is a curveball for sure.

statuscheckerssuck
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:02 pm

sailgclass wrote:
statuscheckerssuck wrote:So for those of you guys who are attending the ASW this weekend-- when are you getting into town? I will be there fairly early in the afternoon because I am checking out some places to live, but I definitely would like to meet up for dinner if there are people there before the coffee thing starts.


I'm scheduled to attend and I will be there barring an acceptance from unc. I'll probably arrive mid afternoon and would be in for meeting some people for dinner and drinks.


What would be the best way to organize this? Just pm'ing phone numbers and names? Anyone that was there for the first weekend have any recommendations for dinner spots?

cpboy77
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:30 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby cpboy77 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:19 pm

Attending W&L law in the fall! It feels good to have made a decision. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

User avatar
pugalicious
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby pugalicious » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:25 pm

rockababy123 wrote:Waitlisted today DR 3/29! I'm so excited to even be waitlisted, not expecting this one! Does anyone know if the preview day on April 9th is only for Waitlisted students? Is anyone on here planning on going?


I'm going to waitlisted students day...taking a few days to visit some Virginia-area schools (I live in AZ). Seems like it is only for waitlisted students, based on the information they've sent so far.

User avatar
whatchootalkinbout
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:27 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:
sailgclass wrote:
statuscheckerssuck wrote:So for those of you guys who are attending the ASW this weekend-- when are you getting into town? I will be there fairly early in the afternoon because I am checking out some places to live, but I definitely would like to meet up for dinner if there are people there before the coffee thing starts.


I'm scheduled to attend and I will be there barring an acceptance from unc. I'll probably arrive mid afternoon and would be in for meeting some people for dinner and drinks.


What would be the best way to organize this? Just pm'ing phone numbers and names? Anyone that was there for the first weekend have any recommendations for dinner spots?

I'll probably get to Lex around mid-afternoon as well. As for places to eat, Macados, The Bistro, and The Palms are great casual places to go.

User avatar
jaxangler
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:57 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby jaxangler » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:34 pm

Southern Inn is another great place to eat in Lexington.

cpboy77
Posts: 58
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:30 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby cpboy77 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:46 pm

jaxangler wrote:Southern Inn is another great place to eat in Lexington.


+1. That place was excellent.

User avatar
whatchootalkinbout
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:49 pm

jaxangler wrote:Southern Inn is another great place to eat in Lexington.

I haven't eaten there yet but have heard great things about it.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:59 am

eandy wrote:
algren wrote:New to this thread. I just had a quick question:

Does W&L notify you of admission through the status checker, or do you just get the "letter mailed" thing and then wait to see?

I see "Decision mailed" on 3/11 in my checker, but wasn't sure if it was like Tulane where that means, "Denied."


I think it means waitlist. We all seem to have 164s and 165s(the 3/11 mailed crowd). People have been getting admit and reject emails but WLs have all be snail.


This may provide an answer for those of us whose status checkers have just changed. It seems that there's no method to W & L's madness.

I heard from a friend that W & L is sending out large "packets", which may/may not be true. She was in an early March batch. Maybe that's what's holding up the 3/24 and 3/26 batches...they are preparing the packets with scholarship offers, housing info, immunization forms and such. It is a little later in the cycle, so they have reason to do it all at once these days. Just being optomistic. :wink: Or it could be a mixed bag of all three decisions.

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby dk8 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:06 pm

PDaddy wrote:
eandy wrote:
algren wrote:New to this thread. I just had a quick question:

Does W&L notify you of admission through the status checker, or do you just get the "letter mailed" thing and then wait to see?

I see "Decision mailed" on 3/11 in my checker, but wasn't sure if it was like Tulane where that means, "Denied."


I think it means waitlist. We all seem to have 164s and 165s(the 3/11 mailed crowd). People have been getting admit and reject emails but WLs have all be snail.


This may provide an answer for those of us whose status checkers have just changed. It seems that there's no method to W & L's madness.

I heard from a friend that W & L is sending out large "packets", which may/may not be true. She was in an early March batch. Maybe that's what's holding up the 3/24 and 3/26 batches...they are preparing the packets with scholarship offers, housing info, immunization forms and such. It is a little later in the cycle, so they have reason to do it all at once these days. Just being optomistic. :wink: Or it could be a mixed bag of all three decisions.


I got mine in early March. It was just an envelope with an email.

User avatar
Modian
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:02 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Modian » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:19 pm

3/24 here. Ding. On the West Coast also.

seattlite
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby seattlite » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:21 pm

PDaddy wrote:
eandy wrote:
algren wrote:New to this thread. I just had a quick question:

Does W&L notify you of admission through the status checker, or do you just get the "letter mailed" thing and then wait to see?

I see "Decision mailed" on 3/11 in my checker, but wasn't sure if it was like Tulane where that means, "Denied."


I think it means waitlist. We all seem to have 164s and 165s(the 3/11 mailed crowd). People have been getting admit and reject emails but WLs have all be snail.


This may provide an answer for those of us whose status checkers have just changed. It seems that there's no method to W & L's madness.

I heard from a friend that W & L is sending out large "packets", which may/may not be true. She was in an early March batch. Maybe that's what's holding up the 3/24 and 3/26 batches...they are preparing the packets with scholarship offers, housing info, immunization forms and such. It is a little later in the cycle, so they have reason to do it all at once these days. Just being optomistic. :wink: Or it could be a mixed bag of all three decisions.


I got my 3/24 decision yesterday (I am on the west coast). Mine was a rejection. Best of luck to everyone still waiting...hoping it was a mixed bag so that everyone doesn't get the same ding I did.

BTW, does anyone else think that W&L's rejection letter was kind of different / strange (rather than say how competitive it was to get in based on the unparalleled number of applicants, they talked about their admissions criteria like "subjective factors such as leadership, work experience, and commitment to service as well as academic achievements and standardized test scores")? Well, I know that my GPA is lower than some out there (because since I graduated there has been huge grade inflation and the concept of an A+ was developed...didn't exist when I graduated in the mid-90s). I also have leadership, work experience, and volunteer activities which are extensive and solid (I have worked for 10+ years in the legal profession and have held / hold numerous executive positions on volunteer committees and have many other credentials). As a non-traditional student, I thought this letter was kind of strange and definitely not kind - it sort of seemed mean (like we didn't find your subjective factors interesting or compelling...rather than saying just you didn't have the numbers). Anyway, let me know if you felt similarly about the rejection letter...for those of you unfortunate enough to get one. :(

prelaw10
Posts: 92
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:24 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby prelaw10 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:24 pm

3/24, East Coast/New England... still no mail. It's raining A LOT here, flooding, really. So maybe that's the hold-up. You know what means of communication doesn't get held up by weather? e-mail, status checker..

User avatar
jaxangler
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:57 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby jaxangler » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:26 pm

seattlite wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
eandy wrote:
algren wrote:New to this thread. I just had a quick question:

Does W&L notify you of admission through the status checker, or do you just get the "letter mailed" thing and then wait to see?

I see "Decision mailed" on 3/11 in my checker, but wasn't sure if it was like Tulane where that means, "Denied."


I think it means waitlist. We all seem to have 164s and 165s(the 3/11 mailed crowd). People have been getting admit and reject emails but WLs have all be snail.


This may provide an answer for those of us whose status checkers have just changed. It seems that there's no method to W & L's madness.

I heard from a friend that W & L is sending out large "packets", which may/may not be true. She was in an early March batch. Maybe that's what's holding up the 3/24 and 3/26 batches...they are preparing the packets with scholarship offers, housing info, immunization forms and such. It is a little later in the cycle, so they have reason to do it all at once these days. Just being optomistic. :wink: Or it could be a mixed bag of all three decisions.


I got my 3/24 decision yesterday (I am on the west coast). Mine was a rejection. Best of luck to everyone still waiting...hoping it was a mixed bag so that everyone doesn't get the same ding I did.

BTW, does anyone else think that W&L's rejection letter was kind of different / strange (rather than say how competitive it was to get in based on the unparalleled number of applicants, they talked about their admissions criteria like "subjective factors such as leadership, work experience, and commitment to service as well as academic achievements and standardized test scores")? Well, I know that my GPA is lower than some out there (because since I graduated there has been huge grade inflation and the concept of an A+ was developed...didn't exist when I graduated in the mid-90s). I also have leadership, work experience, and volunteer activities which are extensive and solid (I have worked for 10+ years in the legal profession and have held / hold numerous executive positions on volunteer committees and have many other credentials). As a non-traditional student, I thought this letter was kind of strange and definitely not kind - it sort of seemed mean (like we didn't find your subjective factors interesting or compelling...rather than saying just you didn't have the numbers). Anyway, let me know if you felt similarly about the rejection letter...for those of you unfortunate enough to get one. :(


I didn't receive a rejection letter, and I am sorry to hear your news. I think that W&L is just stating that they try to take a holistic approach to the application process. I don't think they were saying your softs weren't compelling enough, just that instead of looking solely at numbers, they try to look at a candidates complete body of work. Once again I am sorry to hear your news and wish you the best of luck in your cycle.

seattlite
Posts: 46
Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:53 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby seattlite » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:20 pm

jaxangler wrote:I didn't receive a rejection letter, and I am sorry to hear your news. I think that W&L is just stating that they try to take a holistic approach to the application process. I don't think they were saying your softs weren't compelling enough, just that instead of looking solely at numbers, they try to look at a candidates complete body of work. Once again I am sorry to hear your news and wish you the best of luck in your cycle.


Thanks, jaxangler! I am still waiting to hear from my top choice, and I am hoping that there will be positive news there soon. :) I am also on a couple of waitlists for top 30 schools that I would be very honored to attend if accepted. I got into my safety with a reasonable scholarship but a pretty stringent renewable criteria - top 25%, and it is a good school in my region...I was also very impressed with my safety's Admitted Student Day. I also have a job that pays me a lot of money (but has no room for career advancement)...so while I have options, I feel like there is a lot up in the air. I keep praying that I will get into my dream school very, very soon.

Best of luck to you as well. Thanks for the kind words! Any idea where you are going to land? I will try to update you on where I land when I have more information (less balls up in the air). :wink:

User avatar
RonArtest
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby RonArtest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:28 pm

prelaw10 wrote:3/24, East Coast/New England... still no mail. It's raining A LOT here, flooding, really. So maybe that's the hold-up. You know what means of communication doesn't get held up by weather? e-mail, status checker..


I'm in NC, about 4 hours from Lexington and I haven't gotten mine yet either. It's hard to believe that it has taken this long unless they didn't actually go out until after the 24th. Anyway, I'm 99.9% certain it's a rejection so I'm not looking forward to getting it but I thought you might want to know it is taking forever for me to get mine as well and I'm closer than you.

Bobalou
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:12 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Bobalou » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:36 pm

I'm ITCHING to call. I have a 3/26 complete date, no indication of DR. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! :?

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:13 pm

Bobalou wrote:I'm ITCHING to call. I have a 3/26 complete date, no indication of DR. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! :?


you've been complete for 4 days . . . calm down sonny

Bobalou
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:12 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Bobalou » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:28 pm

adh07d wrote:
Bobalou wrote:I'm ITCHING to call. I have a 3/26 complete date, no indication of DR. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! :?


you've been complete for 4 days . . . calm down sonny


Thanks, that was the updated complete date...was at 1/27 forever.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby PDaddy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:35 pm

dk8 wrote:
I got mine in early March. It was just an envelope with an email.


I totally believe you. This person got her news over the phone from her parents in Chicago; she's in Champaign (IL). I asked her if it was a full packet or just an envelope, and she told me it was a packet. But she also got into other schools, so it could have been a mistake in communication between her and her parents. I'm going to call and ask her to get her parents to look at it again. She claims the mail is funny at her UG so she didn't have it forwarded to her there.

seattlite wrote:
I got my 3/24 decision yesterday (I am on the west coast). Mine was a rejection. Best of luck to everyone still waiting...hoping it was a mixed bag so that everyone doesn't get the same ding I did.

BTW, does anyone else think that W&L's rejection letter was kind of different / strange (rather than say how competitive it was to get in based on the unparalleled number of applicants, they talked about their admissions criteria like "subjective factors such as leadership, work experience, and commitment to service as well as academic achievements and standardized test scores")? Well, I know that my GPA is lower than some out there (because since I graduated there has been huge grade inflation and the concept of an A+ was developed...didn't exist when I graduated in the mid-90s). I also have leadership, work experience, and volunteer activities which are extensive and solid (I have worked for 10+ years in the legal profession and have held / hold numerous executive positions on volunteer committees and have many other credentials). As a non-traditional student, I thought this letter was kind of strange and definitely not kind - it sort of seemed mean (like we didn't find your subjective factors interesting or compelling...rather than saying just you didn't have the numbers). Anyway, let me know if you felt similarly about the rejection letter...for those of you unfortunate enough to get one. :(


You should feel good about that. At least they aren't relying on numbers alone, and I think that's what we all want, especially if we don't have 3.9/175. The person I know, a UIUC 2010 grad had a 3.1/154 and got in with $$. Take solace in knowing that W & L actually walks the walk of holistic admissions. Most schools don't.
Last edited by PDaddy on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
dp73816
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby dp73816 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:27 pm

Bobalou wrote:
adh07d wrote:
Bobalou wrote:I'm ITCHING to call. I have a 3/26 complete date, no indication of DR. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!! :?


you've been complete for 4 days . . . calm down sonny


Thanks, that was the updated complete date...was at 1/27 forever.



Im complete 11/06...calm down my friend.

User avatar
rockababy123
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:22 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby rockababy123 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:47 pm

Love the 'tar!

itzbouttime
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:52 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby itzbouttime » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:48 pm

cpboy77 wrote:Attending W&L law in the fall! It feels good to have made a decision. Good luck to everyone still waiting.


Awesome! Congrats and welcome aboard:D

NYVA311
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby NYVA311 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:09 pm

LOL someone got their 3/24 letter yesterday on the west coast? I'm 1 hour from W&L and haven't gotten mine yet. There's no way they sent them all out at the same time. That gives me hope that it's a mixed batch and they're sending different decisions out on different days.

User avatar
RonArtest
Posts: 74
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby RonArtest » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:59 pm

NYVA311 wrote:LOL someone got their 3/24 letter yesterday on the west coast? I'm 1 hour from W&L and haven't gotten mine yet. There's no way they sent them all out at the same time. That gives me hope that it's a mixed batch and they're sending different decisions out on different days.



Nothing new for me today (4 hours away). I hope you're right.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: addie1412, Anon.y.mousse., Christinabruin, Hopefullawkid2015, jewls2230 and 18 guests