Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
MURPH

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby MURPH » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:35 pm

I declined W&L's offer of admission today. I wish you all good luck. Please help yourself to my scholarship.

prelaw10

Postby prelaw10 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:37 pm

Did anyone receive a large package with their acceptance?

I got an e-mail from my school's mail center for a package (I'm not expecting anything), but the center's closed until Monday. It's killing me.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:38 pm

whatchootalkinbout wrote:Not sure if this has been brought up yet, but does anyone know when we're supposed to receive our loan packages? Or has anyone gotten theirs yet?

I just got mine today. I'm a little confused, because I have something in my package called a "Washington & Lee Grant"... and it's for the same amount as my scholarship. If it's my scholarship why didn't they say scholarship? If it's separate and they didn't consider my scholarship I just might have to attend.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:22 pm

FUMAgrad05 wrote:18 days til the new rankings! I'm hoping for a favorable jump for W&L, but with all the concern over the third year, I would still be very happy if we just manage not to drop at all. I think it's close enough to start playing this game haha...Any thoughts or predictions? I'm hoping to get back up to being equal to or ahead of GWU and W&M and maybe seeing some of the previously lower ranked schools like IU-B, BC, Iowa, Alabama, etc. drop behind us. Hopefully there will be a credible leak sometime soon! I'm thinking that regardless of this years ranking, next year we will definitely get a boost because of the free application this cycle boosting selectivity, or did they also do this last cycle as well?

IUB, Iowa, and Alabama need to GTFO.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:17 pm

NYVA311 wrote:Haven't gotten my mail yet, and I'm probably the closest of everyone (1 hour). I don't think my mail came for today yet, so I'll be on the look out.

I'm guess you didn't get anything in the mail today. I certainly didn't, although perhaps I shouldn't take my sister's word for it and look myself, as there was an admissions packet from Rutgers-Camden lying around for a few days before my mom found it.

It's so stupid for me to want it so badly, since it's probably, or maybe definitely, a rejection. (On the other hand, I feel like I am in for one surprise this admissions cycle, so maybe this is it.) Man, I just need to know already. Why the hell does it take the letters so long to reach us?

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:52 am

b.j. wrote:
NYVA311 wrote:Haven't gotten my mail yet, and I'm probably the closest of everyone (1 hour). I don't think my mail came for today yet, so I'll be on the look out.

I'm guess you didn't get anything in the mail today. I certainly didn't, although perhaps I shouldn't take my sister's word for it and look myself, as there was an admissions packet from Rutgers-Camden lying around for a few days before my mom found it.

It's so stupid for me to want it so badly, since it's probably, or maybe definitely, a rejection. (On the other hand, I feel like I am in for one surprise this admissions cycle, so maybe this is it.) Man, I just need to know already. Why the hell does it take the letters so long to reach us?

Never came. It could be a WL best, don't get too down yet. It could also be a mixed batch. They definitely didn't send the letters on 3/24. My guess is that they sent them on Friday, or are going to send them on Monday. It should only take 1-2 days maximum to reach me.

joonhp

Postby joonhp » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:54 am

NYVA311 wrote:
b.j. wrote:

Never came. It could be a WL best, don't get too down yet. It could also be a mixed batch. They definitely didn't send the letters on 3/24. My guess is that they sent them on Friday, or are going to send them on Monday. It should only take 1-2 days maximum to reach me.

man...more waiting

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:13 pm

NYVA311 wrote:
b.j. wrote:

Considering how low my stats are for W&L, a WL would be a very, very good thing. For one thing, it would mean I might have more of a shot at schools like Cardozo and Brooklyn than I thought. For another, it'd still give me a chance of attending. I'd simply harass, in the nicest, most engaging way possible, the admissions staff into, um, admitting me. I wouldn't care if I had to film an interpretative dance number and sent a DVD to them in order to show my desire to attend. Simply put, if I was wait listed, I'd figure out a way to get off the list and into the acceptance pile.

The only reason I really hold out hope for being wait listed is that my personal statement is supposedly good. Perhaps it's just a stock response, but in one acceptance packet, from Rutgers-Camden, the second or third line of the first page was "The admissions committee was very impressed with your personal statement." Plus, my LSAT score, while below their numbers, isn't that bad. Not that this is probably enough to pull me in, but if I happened to come across a reader on a good day, that's likely to have helped me.

But anyway, I don't understand why these letters take so long to get to us. I mean, are they making decisions over the course of a few days and then physically printing out the letters and sending them all on one day? If not that, what else could it be? If larger packages can come to me in less time, WTF is the hold up with a simple letter, or, hopefully a couple of pages of something?

prelaw10

Postby prelaw10 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:22 pm

Monday cannot come soon enough. I have a pacakge waiting for me at my university's mail center, and I'm dying to know if it's from a school.

I'm 99% sure it's not from W&L since apparently they send thin letters, even for acceptances. I'm hoping maybe the financial aid package came with the letter since it's so late in the cycle, but that's just wishful thinking. Can anyone speak to the size of the financial aid package? Is the envelope bigger in length or height than a magazine? (magazines fit into our regular mailboxes) Ah I can't believe I just posed that neurotic question there. Seriously, I can't wait for the return of my sanity when this cycle's done. I'm still waiting on more than 10 schools!

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:33 pm

Just a note: I'm on the WL at Washington & Lee, and they sent an email on a Friday afternoon explaining that the letter was in the mail. So, for a WL, you'll probably get an email first. Hope that helps (but selfishly hoping for no more WL! Sorry :) )

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:53 pm

pugalicious wrote:Just a note: I'm on the WL at Washington & Lee, and they sent an email on a Friday afternoon explaining that the letter was in the mail. So, for a WL, you'll probably get an email first. Hope that helps (but selfishly hoping for no more WL! Sorry :) )

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but when did your status checker change? Was it 3/24 like most others who have posted on the last few pages?

prelaw10

Postby prelaw10 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:01 pm

Cool so it's a rejection or an acceptance. For me, being that it's nearly April, it goes like this: acceptance>rejection>wait list. So I'm pretty happy with this situation haha.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:04 pm

prelaw10 wrote:Monday cannot come soon enough. I have a pacakge waiting for me at my university's mail center, and I'm dying to know if it's from a school.

I'm 99% sure it's not from W&L since apparently they send thin letters, even for acceptances. I'm hoping maybe the financial aid package came with the letter since it's so late in the cycle, but that's just wishful thinking. Can anyone speak to the size of the financial aid package? Is the envelope bigger in length or height than a magazine? (magazines fit into our regular mailboxes) Ah I can't believe I just posed that neurotic question there. Seriously, I can't wait for the return of my sanity when this cycle's done. I'm still waiting on more than 10 schools!

Scholarship offer came to me in a small, plain envelope about a week after the acceptance letter.

pugalicious

Postby pugalicious » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:21 pm

b.j. wrote:
pugalicious wrote:Just a note: I'm on the WL at Washington & Lee, and they sent an email on a Friday afternoon explaining that the letter was in the mail. So, for a WL, you'll probably get an email first. Hope that helps (but selfishly hoping for no more WL! Sorry :) )

I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but when did your status checker change? Was it 3/24 like most others who have posted on the last few pages?

No, this was 3/12. I realize that it a different batch of responses, so the procedure could be different!

goingoingone

Postby goingoingone » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:21 pm

So as I get closer to making my final decision, I'm trying to figure out the total first-year costs of all of the schools I'm considering. I was wondering, though, if anyone knew where W&L got their numbers for the projected living expenses and for books and supplies that they list at http://law.wlu.edu/admissions/page.asp?pageid=314&openpanel=1. Maybe I'm underestimating, but $16,638 seems like a lot for living in Lexington, given the listed rent I have seen, and $2,200 is about double what every other school estimates for books and supplies.

Does anybody know if these listed expenses are realistic?

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:47 pm

goingoingone wrote:So as I get closer to making my final decision, I'm trying to figure out the total first-year costs of all of the schools I'm considering. I was wondering, though, if anyone knew where W&L got their numbers for the projected living expenses and for books and supplies that they list at http://law.wlu.edu/admissions/page.asp?pageid=314&openpanel=1. Maybe I'm underestimating, but $16,638 seems like a lot for living in Lexington, given the listed rent I have seen, and $2,200 is about double what every other school estimates for books and supplies.

I read 1 bedrooms run from 300 to 500 a month. If you live 10 miles away or out in the country it's even cheaper (nuts! I know). Maybe it has to do with an assumption that you'll have a car loan? And maybe they automatically include the cost of a laptop in books and supplies as they're anti-mac.

Headybrah

Postby Headybrah » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:11 pm

I think most schools (or at least smart ones) overestimate cost of living so you can be eligible for more loans...

waxloaf

Postby waxloaf » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:48 pm

sibley wrote:And maybe they automatically include the cost of a laptop in books and supplies as they're anti-mac.

Are they really anti-mac? Where did you see/hear that? Seems a little nuts now a days to be anti pc or mac

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:21 pm

waxloaf wrote:
sibley wrote:And maybe they automatically include the cost of a laptop in books and supplies as they're anti-mac.

Are they really anti-mac? Where did you see/hear that? Seems a little nuts now a days to be anti pc or mac

I was going through all my materials last night and their papers said that most of the stuff works on pc. they're trying in 2010 to make everything also mac compatible, but if they have to pick one pc ones. last year you couldn't print wirelessly from mac, etc.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:38 pm

sibley wrote:I can't wait for the new rankings either! I'm SO interested in comparing the ratings with the old ones. It could influence my decision a lot, even though it's just a yearly thing.

Do you want to compare the new and old "Ratings" or the new and old "Rankings"? I'm not asking about this just to be a flame. I am really interested, b/c they are two different things.

lawschool??? wrote:
PDaddy wrote:I think all of the 3/24 decisions are WL (possibly rejects).

Don't you think all the 3/24s are rejects? After all, I have a 3.1 gpa 153 LSAT so I don't think I'll be WLed.

Your numbers don't mean rejection, necessarily. It depends on whether the school has a "Cornell approach", i.e. holistic, a "Berkeley approach", UGPA bias or a "Columbia approach" LSAT bias. That said, you're on the low end of both, so I wouldn't be too optomistic. But you can get in. Are you URM? Are your softs good?

I wish everyone good luck anyways. I'm glad I am a city dude. Schools in places like Lexington or Williamsburg just don't interest me that much.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:03 pm

PDaddy wrote:
sibley wrote:I can't wait for the new rankings either! I'm SO interested in comparing the ratings with the old ones. It could influence my decision a lot, even though it's just a yearly thing.

Do you want to compare the new and old "Ratings" or the new and old "Rankings"? I'm not asking about this just to be a flame. I am really interested, b/c they are two different things.

Well, both. But honestly? Rankings. I care a lot more about where a school rates in relation to other schools than how it rates on its own. I figure any T1 and probably any T2 will give me a good education... and a lot of it is up to me. What's not up to me is who considers me for jobs... and they like rankings.

sidewaysglance

Postby sidewaysglance » Sun Mar 28, 2010 7:20 pm

I went for a tour and a meeting with Assistant Admissions Dean Brett Twitty on Thursday (I was WL). The school was great, the place looks wonderful, and the admissions dean was incredibly friendly and helpful.

My tour guide was honest about it being difficult to find jobs this year, but she said she utilized the strong alumni network and got a job with a district judge.

Hopefully some spots will open up and I can stand a chance to get in!

itzbouttime

Postby itzbouttime » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:42 pm

sibley wrote:
goingoingone wrote:So as I get closer to making my final decision, I'm trying to figure out the total first-year costs of all of the schools I'm considering. I was wondering, though, if anyone knew where W&L got their numbers for the projected living expenses and for books and supplies that they list at http://law.wlu.edu/admissions/page.asp?pageid=314&openpanel=1. Maybe I'm underestimating, but $16,638 seems like a lot for living in Lexington, given the listed rent I have seen, and $2,200 is about double what every other school estimates for books and supplies.

I read 1 bedrooms run from 300 to 500 a month. If you live 10 miles away or out in the country it's even cheaper (nuts! I know). Maybe it has to do with an assumption that you'll have a car loan? And maybe they automatically include the cost of a laptop in books and supplies as they're anti-mac.

I disagree with them being anti-mac. I went to the ASW in March and spoke to various students about this and they all confirmed that the school supports both. Most of the students I spoke with all had Macs. As a matter of fact, the school offers deals for both Macs and PCs in the school store.

sibley

Postby sibley » Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:46 pm

itzbouttime wrote:
sibley wrote:

I disagree with them being anti-mac. I went to the ASW in March and spoke to various students about this and they all confirmed that the school supports both. Most of the students I spoke with all had Macs. As a matter of fact, the school offers deals for both Macs and PCs in the school store.

just relaying what they said.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:47 pm

pugalicious wrote:
b.j. wrote:

No, this was 3/12. I realize that it a different batch of responses, so the procedure could be different!

Of, of course. Frankly, I'm a little irritated that the schools can't just tell you as soon as possible. I mean, the people that are applying should be adults, so presumably, they can handle the bad news. What's the difference between revealing a decision over an online status checker versus revealing it over snail mail, or even e-mail? Nothing, except the student has more information at a quicker pace so he can make more informed decisions at, you guessed it, a quicker pace. And the schools that don't even have status checkers? They can sit on it!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”