Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jaxangler

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby jaxangler » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:11 pm

So is anyone who is attending into fishing at all? I like to fish, but mostly do saltwater. I want to learn how to fly fish though. Just wondering if anyone else is into it.

sailgclass

Postby sailgclass » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:30 pm

jaxangler wrote:So is anyone who is attending into fishing at all? I like to fish, but mostly do saltwater. I want to learn how to fly fish though. Just wondering if anyone else is into it.

I've done a little saltwater fishing, but most of my time on the water is on a sailboat. I'd be interested in making a trip from lexington to go fishing though if I end up there.

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Wed Mar 24, 2010 5:35 pm

withdrew today with $30k/yr hoping it goes to one of you waiting or WLed!!

Good luck! :D

Rowinguy2009

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:23 pm

Anyone else planning on living or currently living in Borden Commons? I signed a lease there today, nice little one bedroom apartment, very cheap compared to the one bedrooms where I go to school now.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:29 pm

I've never fished before, but I've always wanted to.

jaxangler wrote:So is anyone who is attending into fishing at all? I like to fish, but mostly do saltwater. I want to learn how to fly fish though. Just wondering if anyone else is into it.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:32 pm

Rowinguy2009 wrote:Anyone else planning on living or currently living in Borden Commons? I signed a lease there today, nice little one bedroom apartment, very cheap compared to the one bedrooms where I go to school now.

Damn! I saw an add in the local Lexington paper recently for a 1br in the Borden Commons for super cheap.. I'm hoping there's something like that available when I start looking. Let me know how it looks and if it's comfortable! How close is there available laundry machines?

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:40 pm

Took a one week/ 1 credit fly fishing class I needed after grad. It was great, (I got an A of course). Learned to cast. Takes a day to learn to cast, a life time to get any good.

joonhp

Postby joonhp » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:04 pm

So everyone who got updated today is a ding? They mass accept, WL and ding?

jaxangler

Postby jaxangler » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:16 pm

joonhp wrote:So everyone who got updated today is a ding? They mass accept, WL and ding?

So far in the cycle the decisions have come in batches. I do not believe that the people who were updated today have received their decisions yet, but their numbers may indicate that it is a reject or WL batch.

bleedcubbieblue

Postby bleedcubbieblue » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:42 pm

My checker says "decision reached, notification pending"

under mailings it says "letter of decision mailed" 3/24

I'm 99% sure this is a ding, oh well....

Anyone else have an idea?

HERetICal

Postby HERetICal » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:44 pm

jmhendri wrote:
Rowinguy2009 wrote:Anyone else planning on living or currently living in Borden Commons? I signed a lease there today, nice little one bedroom apartment, very cheap compared to the one bedrooms where I go to school now.

Damn! I saw an add in the local Lexington paper recently for a 1br in the Borden Commons for super cheap.. I'm hoping there's something like that available when I start looking. Let me know how it looks and if it's comfortable! How close is there available laundry machines?

I have a family friend who is renting both a cape cod (near Wal-Mart), and a one bedroom English cottage (unsure of location). If anyone wants her #, PM me and I'll pass it on. My wife and I already found a place, and the cape cod was going to be too big for the two of us, while the cottage was too small.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:55 pm

I wasn't sure when would be a good time to commit to a place and move in. When are you all planning on relocating? I was imagining mid way through August would be best.

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:04 pm

I thinking early to mid August as well if I go.

I think classes start the third week plus they'll have all the intro stuff.

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:26 pm

jmhendri wrote:I wasn't sure when would be a good time to commit to a place and move in. When are you all planning on relocating? I was imagining mid way through August would be best.

I will be there really early (mid July) because my lease ends then. I hope maybe a few others will be around that early as well or else it will be really boring.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:49 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:
jmhendri wrote:I wasn't sure when would be a good time to commit to a place and move in. When are you all planning on relocating? I was imagining mid way through August would be best.

I will be there really early (mid July) because my lease ends then. I hope maybe a few others will be around that early as well or else it will be really boring.

I think orientation starts in mid-August. At least they did last year. So that may be too late to move in.

I will probably be around Lex mid to late July because I don't leave my job until then. I will definitely want to celebrate the little amount of freedom we have left before school starts.

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:01 pm

I'll second that. Some free time with a little peace to learn the place and get ready.

Have to see what the rent/lease agreements allow.

pja123

Postby pja123 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:14 pm

My status checker for W&L just changed to "Decision reached; notification pending."

Considering the fact that I haven't gotten a call and it's near the end of the admissions cycle, should I expect a waitlist/rejection letter or is there still hope?

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:00 pm

pja123 wrote:My status checker for W&L just changed to "Decision reached; notification pending."

Considering the fact that I haven't gotten a call and it's near the end of the admissions cycle, should I expect a waitlist/rejection letter or is there still hope?

Check with others who received the same notification.

They seem to go in batches. Thats my experience for what its worth.

FUMAgrad05

Postby FUMAgrad05 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:08 pm

So, after looking over Brian Leiter's website and a few others, I've come to notice something that I'm not sure whether to be concerned about or not... For being considered such a good school and having such respect in the legal community, W&L seems to be very lacking (or ranked well below their t30 status) in quite a few categories (faculty, clerkships, numerical quality, student quality, and other categories/rankings). So, when you consider the fact that most of these rankings come from 2000-2008 when W&L was ranked even higher than it is now, what is it that puts them so high? By looking at all of the more specific categories, one would be led to believe that W&L would be ranked much lower than they are. They don't have a single faculty member in any of the faculty rankings, when most t30 schools do. They are ranked mid 30s to mid 40s in a lot of other categories and seem to lack overall prestige in a lot of areas. I love W&L and have committed to go there, but I started looking at some of the other schools I've been accepted to and started to notice that W&L doesn't seem to measure up in a few of ways that seem fairly important. Obviously I know that there's a lot more to law school than all of this, but there's no way you can discount these factors totally. I still think they are a great school, even more so after visiting, but what's the deal with this, any thoughts?

Bobalou

Postby Bobalou » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:16 pm

OK, so my status checker still says 1/27, I really hope this is a good sign.

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:59 pm

FUMAgrad05 wrote:So, after looking over Brian Leiter's website and a few others, I've come to notice something that I'm not sure whether to be concerned about or not... For being considered such a good school and having such respect in the legal community, W&L seems to be very lacking (or ranked well below their t30 status) in quite a few categories (faculty, clerkships, numerical quality, student quality, and other categories/rankings). So, when you consider the fact that most of these rankings come from 2000-2008 when W&L was ranked even higher than it is now, what is it that puts them so high? By looking at all of the more specific categories, one would be led to believe that W&L would be ranked much lower than they are. They don't have a single faculty member in any of the faculty rankings, when most t30 schools do. They are ranked mid 30s to mid 40s in a lot of other categories and seem to lack overall prestige in a lot of areas. I love W&L and have committed to go there, but I started looking at some of the other schools I've been accepted to and started to notice that W&L doesn't seem to measure up in a few of ways that seem fairly important. Obviously I know that there's a lot more to law school than all of this, but there's no way you can discount these factors totally. I still think they are a great school, even more so after visiting, but what's the deal with this, any thoughts?

I've been seeing these things myself. I'm drawn to GMU given its location, great money offer, summer jobs, and upward rank movement.

I'd love W&M or UVA if I get off the wait.

W&L still does it for me given my choices. I think their name is strong and I'm inclined to think they are not the only school in the 20-40 range with some oddities. It'd be nice to have a faculty member in the ranks but there's lots of profs out there.

Their rep seems strong and I think the 3L program will gain/regain any lost prestige.

The program offers common knowledge to students. I think it'll make me be a better hire and a stronger lawyer in todays tight market. Summer jobs and the like will help, but the 3L really seems to place students within the actual job.

I also like the Transnational Law work going on.

The other factor is size. W&L is small. It seems to offer a tight group with a unique character. Their honor code takes it by far.

Still have some thinking to do, LOCIs to write, and GMU to visit. I still think W&L will do it for me unless the ever-growing W&M wait lets me off. They've been helpful, let me in early, and seem genuine.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:12 pm

Modian wrote:Letter mailed 3/24, sub-3.0, 164. Yep, reject batch:(

What makes you so sure? What does it say in your status checker? Mine says, "Decision reached; notification pending."

dp73816

Postby dp73816 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Bobalou wrote:OK, so my status checker still says 1/27, I really hope this is a good sign.

Mines 11/15

I should get some kind of award...

NYVA311

Postby NYVA311 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:21 pm

I'm feeling a bit more hopeful about the 3/24 batch. I'll likely get the letter first (I'm very close to Lexington), so I'll let everyone know! Hopefully it comes tomorrow.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:26 pm

bleedcubbieblue wrote:My checker says "decision reached, notification pending"

under mailings it says "letter of decision mailed" 3/24

I'm 99% sure this is a ding, oh well....

Anyone else have an idea?

Do they ever accept people but only notify them over regular snail mail? It seems like at least a couple of people have been accepted over e-mail, but I am not sure how common that is.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”