Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mgnola

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby mgnola » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:39 pm

itzbouttime wrote:
I think that W&L is going to be where I end up come August. The ASW was awesome! I loved the professors, the administration, current students, and admitted students. The town is adorable and not small at all (at least not what I thought it was going to be). However, I do have a concern.

Mgnola, do you think it will be a problem if I attend W&L and not have a car? Do you think having a car is a must (at least my first year)? By what the current students said, it sounds like a car is needed (if I want to go to Target, the mall, etc.). Or, do you think that, at least my first year, I can get away with not having a car and not feel suffocated in Lexington?

I dont think you'll have a problem. I lived in Lex for four years without a car and had no problem getting around. I lived downtown above a coffee shop with four other people (who all had cars), and walking to class took less than a minute. If I ever needed to drive farther out (to Kroger, ABC, or Wal-Mart), I would borrow my roommates’ car. Road trips to DC or Charlottesville were no problem either, as my roommates either came along, or had no problem lending me their car for a night or two. Bottom line: my roommates let me borrow their cars frequently.

The answer to your question will depend on 1) where you want to live, and 2) how many roommates you plan to have. Obviously, if you want to live out in the country (or plan to live alone), you might have more difficulty borrown. Otherwise and especially if you decide to live on-campus at Woods Creek, you can easily manage.

Hope that answers your question. Congrats on deciding!(tentatively)
Last edited by mgnola on Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

acoon624

Postby acoon624 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:41 pm

NYVA311 wrote:
Sias wrote:Still no word from W&L. Went complete for a third time on 3/16. Anyone else in this boat?

Went complete twice. Once in November, second time 2/28. Still waiting. Avoided a batch or two of rejections so that may be a good sign. I'm hoping for a wait list. There's no chance I'll get in.

+1

SAOJD10

Postby SAOJD10 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:30 pm

Im still at complete from 1/27 no changes ever

Bobalou

Postby Bobalou » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:34 pm

SAOJD10 wrote:Im still at complete from 1/27 no changes ever

Exact same situation over here, I'm not counting on it.

Sias

Postby Sias » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:43 pm

Bobalou wrote:

Would be interesting to know why some of us have gone complete 2-3 times while it's remained static for others.

cpboy77

Postby cpboy77 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:44 pm

I had a great time at ASW as well, although I'm a little disappointed I missed some birthday party with beer pong, quite possibly the greatest game of all time.

I went up from like 70% to 90% sure that I'm going to W&L in the fall.

itzbouttime

Postby itzbouttime » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:52 pm

mgnola wrote:
itzbouttime wrote:
I think that W&L is going to be where I end up come August. The ASW was awesome! I loved the professors, the administration, current students, and admitted students. The town is adorable and not small at all (at least not what I thought it was going to be). However, I do have a concern.

Mgnola, do you think it will be a problem if I attend W&L and not have a car? Do you think having a car is a must (at least my first year)? By what the current students said, it sounds like a car is needed (if I want to go to Target, the mall, etc.). Or, do you think that, at least my first year, I can get away with not having a car and not feel suffocated in Lexington?

I dont think you'll have a problem. I lived in Lex for four years without a car and had no problem getting around. I lived downtown above a coffee shop with four other people (who all had cars), and walking to class took less than a minute. If I ever needed to drive farther out (to Kroger, ABC, or Wal-Mart), I would borrow my roommates’ car. Road trips to DC or Charlottesville were no problem either, as my roommates either came along, or had no problem lending me their car for a night or two. Bottom line: my roommates let me borrow their cars frequently.

The answer to your question will depend on 1) where you want to live, and 2) how many roommates you plan to have. Obviously, if you want to live out in the country (or plan to live alone), you might have more difficulty borrown. Otherwise and especially if you decide to live on-campus at Woods Creek, you can easily manage.

Hope that answers your question. Congrats on deciding!(tentatively)

Thanks! :D

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:54 pm

Sias wrote:
Bobalou wrote:

Would be interesting to know why some of us have gone complete 2-3 times while it's remained static for others.

I'm curious to know how Villanova can put me under review and tell me I am rejected in a matter of five days (3/17-3/22), while W&L still has me complete/under review from 3/8. Is W&L really that far behind on applications? Do they spend that much time evaluating them? What else could be holding the school up? It's a better school than Villanova is, so if I was rejected from that place, I pretty much expect to be rejected from W&L. Yet, each and every day I don't hear anything leads me to (foolishly?) believe I actually have a chance.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:59 pm

For the ladies who attended ASW this past weekend... would it be a mistake to wear a 3 inch heel for the Saturday activities? I'm trying to start thinking about packing...

GordonBombay

Postby GordonBombay » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:49 pm

It's the leader in the clubhouse. still waiting to see about a special program/ scholarship im up for at another school.

Im definitely living in town if I do and getting a car. I cant handle not being able to walk to campus and places in town aka the bar.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:56 pm

jmhendri wrote:For the ladies who attended ASW this past weekend... would it be a mistake to wear a 3 inch heel for the Saturday activities? I'm trying to start thinking about packing...

Definitely. You will be traipsing around brick pathways (that combination could only lead to disaster) and through lawns/sports fields. Unless you're a heels champ. I am not so adept.

freeman09

Postby freeman09 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:09 pm

I visited a year ago before beginning the entire process.

Is the ASW really worth it?

After being waitlisted at UVA and WM, W&L with its scholarship offer, courtesy, and opportunities takes first vote for me now.

Just wondering if the ASW tells anything new that an earlier visit might have missed.

Take care.

raoul79

Postby raoul79 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:23 pm

Sias wrote:
Bobalou wrote:

I was complete 1/27 and 3/1 with no decision yet. I guess surviving this long has given us still waiting hope...
I think they will let us know after their 4/15 deposit deadline. They will get a better view of what their incoming class will look like. From what it sounds though, their class is looking pretty full... Still crossing fingers....

jaxangler

Postby jaxangler » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:10 pm

freeman09 wrote:I visited a year ago before beginning the entire process.

Is the ASW really worth it?

After being waitlisted at UVA and WM, W&L with its scholarship offer, courtesy, and opportunities takes first vote for me now.

Just wondering if the ASW tells anything new that an earlier visit might have missed.

Take care.

I think the ASW was well worth the trip, especially since its practically free (if not completely free). The mock class with Murchison was great, talks with the Kirgis Fellows as well as other current students proved very informative, and getting a chance to see what a weekend in Lexington is like was also beneficial. The ASW definitely sealed the deal for me.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:30 pm

raoul79 wrote:
Sias wrote:
Bobalou wrote:

I was complete 1/27 and 3/1 with no decision yet. I guess surviving this long has given us still waiting hope...
I think they will let us know after their 4/15 deposit deadline. They will get a better view of what their incoming class will look like. From what it sounds though, their class is looking pretty full... Still crossing fingers....

I've only been complete since 3/8, so perhaps it's possible they haven't reviewed my application yet. But is that really the case? I mean, I know I applied a lot later than most people, so wouldn't they have made a decent amount of progress, even if they started in January? Let's say they are doing 100 applications a day for 60 days. That's 6,000 applications. But the school only gets about 3,000 per year, or so that was the case last year. So what if they are only doing 50 a day for 60 days? Play with the numbers however you want, but I think it's clear that they must have a slow process by nature to take this long, especially if they have made decisions on a lot of applications already.

I don't know about you, but this is a big, big reach school for me. If I am going to be rejected, why would they wait so long to tell me? I'm now starting to believe I might receive good news from this school, but that almost certainly isn't the case.

jaxangler

Postby jaxangler » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:51 pm

Three weeks is not a long time to be under review at a school. A lot more applications have come through this cycle, and you applied late in the game. Offers can also depend on who has accepted or turned down their offer, as well as how many offers remain in limbo, as they have a targeted class size. Be patient with the process and good luck.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:05 am

jaxangler wrote:Three weeks is not a long time to be under review at a school. A lot more applications have come through this cycle, and you applied late in the game. Offers can also depend on who has accepted or turned down their offer, as well as how many offers remain in limbo, as they have a targeted class size. Be patient with the process and good luck.

Do you have any idea of how many more applications were received this year?

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:09 am

b.j. wrote:I've only been complete since 3/8, so perhaps it's possible they haven't reviewed my application yet. But is that really the case? I mean, I know I applied a lot later than most people, so wouldn't they have made a decent amount of progress, even if they started in January? Let's say they are doing 100 applications a day for 60 days. That's 6,000 applications. But the school only gets about 3,000 per year, or so that was the case last year. So what if they are only doing 50 a day for 60 days? Play with the numbers however you want, but I think it's clear that they must have a slow process by nature to take this long, especially if they have made decisions on a lot of applications already.

I don't know about you, but this is a big, big reach school for me. If I am going to be rejected, why would they wait so long to tell me? I'm now starting to believe I might receive good news from this school, but that almost certainly isn't the case.

I have a feeling that it has a lot to do with maintaining such a small class size. I think that the enormous turnout at last weekend's ASW (more than 100 people) signaled to the school that their yield rate may be much higher than usual, and they are afraid of over-admitting. Also, applications are up across the board, so I'm sure that they're way past 3,000. It's important to remember that, again due to the small size of the school, the admissions staff is tiny, and reviewing applications is not the only thing they do all day. I'd be very surprised if they're reviewing 50 applications a day. It is also clear that they are not reviewing them in order by application date. I went complete (got my status checker email) the day after I got my admissions letter, only 6 days after applying, and my story isn't particularly rare.

Sit tight. It's only been two weeks. Hopefully you'll get some good news before April 15th.

b.j.

Postby b.j. » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:38 am

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
b.j. wrote:I've only been complete since 3/8, so perhaps it's possible they haven't reviewed my application yet. But is that really the case? I mean, I know I applied a lot later than most people, so wouldn't they have made a decent amount of progress, even if they started in January? Let's say they are doing 100 applications a day for 60 days. That's 6,000 applications. But the school only gets about 3,000 per year, or so that was the case last year. So what if they are only doing 50 a day for 60 days? Play with the numbers however you want, but I think it's clear that they must have a slow process by nature to take this long, especially if they have made decisions on a lot of applications already.

I have a feeling that it has a lot to do with maintaining such a small class size. I think that the enormous turnout at last weekend's ASW (more than 100 people) signaled to the school that their yield rate may be much higher than usual, and they are afraid of over-admitting. Also, applications are up across the board, so I'm sure that they're way past 3,000. It's important to remember that, again due to the small size of the school, the admissions staff is tiny, and reviewing applications is not the only thing they do all day. I'd be very surprised if they're reviewing 50 applications a day. It is also clear that they are not reviewing them in order by application date. I went complete (got my status checker email) the day after I got my admissions letter, only 6 days after applying, and my story isn't particularly rare.

Sit tight. It's only been two weeks. Hopefully you'll get some good news before April 15th.

It's be pretty amusing if I was rejected from other schools but got into this one. I'd like to believe they saw something in me, but who knows if they even got to me.

I am pretty sure of the answer here, but just so we're clear, the application status checker will not say in review, just complete, and then change once a decision has been made...right?

acoon624

Postby acoon624 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:37 am

I don't know about others but I have been complete since 2/19 according to the status checker.

jaskat

Postby jaskat » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:25 am

Withdrawing tomorrow. Hope someone gets my spot.

whatchootalkinbout

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:58 am

I'm signed up for the April 2-3 ASW. Anyone else?

Maybe we can follow suit and try to crash another birthday party.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:46 pm

whatchootalkinbout wrote:I'm signed up for the April 2-3 ASW. Anyone else?

I'm there. Should we borrow the underlining of the name thing as an indicator of TLS participation?

whatchootalkinbout

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:50 pm

jmhendri wrote:
whatchootalkinbout wrote:I'm signed up for the April 2-3 ASW. Anyone else?

I'm there. Should we borrow the underlining of the name thing as an indicator of TLS participation?

Or we could just screenprint our 'tars on neon pink sweatshirts? Just a thought.

kevin261186

Postby kevin261186 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:51 pm

Application file complete 3-8-10. No word. Any thoughts?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”