Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Rowinguy2009
Posts: 299
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:37 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Rowinguy2009 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 pm

The whole weekend was really fun.... That birthday party was one of the highlights in my mind.

User avatar
GordonBombay
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby GordonBombay » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:18 pm

I had a great time. I still have some reservations about the 3rd year, wish it was optional or partial since it limits what you can take as far as elective/ specialty courses. Also not a lot of IP and that would be tough to concentrate on for th 3YP in the valley. Still, it seems like tons of positives about the school outweigh some negatives. Everyone I met was great, current students and admitted

We went somewhere else, missed the b-day party. However, I'll say that any concern about fun being had was addressed. Seems like there's plennnty to be had.

User avatar
whatchootalkinbout
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:53 pm

So I was accepted last month with no expected scholly offer, yet W&L is still #1 on my list. Am I the only one in this boat?

User avatar
Panther7
Posts: 455
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Panther7 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:24 am

whatchootalkinbout wrote:So I was accepted last month with no expected scholly offer, yet W&L is still #1 on my list. Am I the only one in this boat?


I was in basically the same boat and went to see if they could sell me on sticker. They definitely did. The whole weekend was fun. They really outdid themselves on it. (However I won't be going for other reasons)

User avatar
Jakealewis
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:46 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Jakealewis » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:01 am

SpaceDawg wrote:
Huskrfn127 wrote:
statuscheckerssuck wrote:
Cool. Sounds like a good time. Any other things stand out about the weekend?


I like that they essentially pay for everything. They book and pay for your hotel for the nights, they covered coffee the first evening as well as dinner the second night, and will reimburse you up to $300 for travel expenses.

The actual school-learning events are pretty much par for the course, featuring the usual career services/classes/tour stuff. They did really push for the 3L program, and I have to say any reservations I had about it went out the window. I'm pretty confident it will be a big help in learning how to be a lawyer, instead of just how to think like one.


Completely agree. I also like how they cleared up the issue of Dean Smolla "running out on the program." That it was really the professors who created the program and the Dean was more just the poster boy.

I have to say I went thinking that Lexington and the students would be meh, but it ended up being quite the opposite. I have toured a few schools now and I think they are the only students I met that seemed genuinely and sincerely happy to be there. And not the "planted" students, but the drunken ones stumbling out of the bathroom and beer ponging at the birthday party.


My thoughts exactly (save for the party; I skipped the dinner). I'm still waiting to visit a few other schools, but I got a great vibe from W&L. And, I'm no longer worried about the 3rd year program.

User avatar
GordonBombay
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby GordonBombay » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:05 am

The dinner was good, and we got paired up with new, non admissions hand picked people, which was awesome at my table anyways. One guy was heading to San Diego after and another was from/ going back to NY. So it was awesome to get some straight talk and see people from/ going outside VA

User avatar
whatchootalkinbout
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:13 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:19 pm

Panther7 wrote:
whatchootalkinbout wrote:So I was accepted last month with no expected scholly offer, yet W&L is still #1 on my list. Am I the only one in this boat?


I was in basically the same boat and went to see if they could sell me on sticker. They definitely did. The whole weekend was fun. They really outdid themselves on it. (However I won't be going for other reasons)

For a second I was comforted by the fact I wasn't alone...until that last part. Thanks for your two cents though!

mgnola
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby mgnola » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:27 pm

I agree with the general sentiment that W&L did a great job explaining/defending the new curriculum. I went to W&L undergrad and so had no concerns about Lexington (In fact, one current L1 who is a "Double General" finds the social life of the law students more enjoyable than that of the undergraduates). But obvious concerns about the novelty of the third year aside, it's clear that the W&L faculty are incredibly excited about making this new curriculum work and perfecting it over time.

I still have another school to visit, but W&L impressed me. Whether or not I enroll, I'm happy to see my alma mater strive to improve the welfare of its students.

I'm also happy to answer any lingering questions or doubts about Lexington - trust me, there's nothing to fear about it...

Sias
Posts: 113
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby Sias » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:57 pm

Still no word from W&L. Went complete for a third time on 3/16. Anyone else in this boat?

User avatar
acoon624
Posts: 42
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:53 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby acoon624 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:00 pm

Sias wrote:Still no word from W&L. Went complete for a third time on 3/16. Anyone else in this boat?



I've been complete since 2/19.

NYVA311
Posts: 198
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:15 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby NYVA311 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:01 pm

Sias wrote:Still no word from W&L. Went complete for a third time on 3/16. Anyone else in this boat?


Went complete twice. Once in November, second time 2/28. Still waiting. Avoided a batch or two of rejections so that may be a good sign. I'm hoping for a wait list. There's no chance I'll get in.

User avatar
SpaceDawg
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby SpaceDawg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:03 pm

GordonBombay wrote:I had a great time. I still have some reservations about the 3rd year, wish it was optional or partial since it limits what you can take as far as elective/ specialty courses. Also not a lot of IP and that would be tough to concentrate on for th 3YP in the valley. Still, it seems like tons of positives about the school outweigh some negatives. Everyone I met was great, current students and admitted

We went somewhere else, missed the b-day party. However, I'll say that any concern about fun being had was addressed. Seems like there's plennnty to be had.



They also mentioned quite a few things they have going on in DC. Maybe there would be stuff there for you? It also seems like they really support you finding something outside of their current scope.

User avatar
SpaceDawg
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby SpaceDawg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:05 pm

mgnola wrote:I agree with the general sentiment that W&L did a great job explaining/defending the new curriculum. I went to W&L undergrad and so had no concerns about Lexington (In fact, one current L1 who is a "Double General" finds the social life of the law students more enjoyable than that of the undergraduates). But obvious concerns about the novelty of the third year aside, it's clear that the W&L faculty are incredibly excited about making this new curriculum work and perfecting it over time.

I still have another school to visit, but W&L impressed me. Whether or not I enroll, I'm happy to see my alma mater strive to improve the welfare of its students.

I'm also happy to answer any lingering questions or doubts about Lexington - trust me, there's nothing to fear about it...


You can only come back to W&L if you never use the term "Double General" again.

User avatar
GordonBombay
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby GordonBombay » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:06 pm

SpaceDawg wrote:
GordonBombay wrote:I had a great time. I still have some reservations about the 3rd year, wish it was optional or partial since it limits what you can take as far as elective/ specialty courses. Also not a lot of IP and that would be tough to concentrate on for th 3YP in the valley. Still, it seems like tons of positives about the school outweigh some negatives. Everyone I met was great, current students and admitted

We went somewhere else, missed the b-day party. However, I'll say that any concern about fun being had was addressed. Seems like there's plennnty to be had.



They also mentioned quite a few things they have going on in DC. Maybe there would be stuff there for you? It also seems like they really support you finding something outside of their current scope.


Yea. It seems like they're more than willing to work with you, to make their program work. it would definitely take a lot of driving and couch sleeping in DC. They mentioned a few people who did as much.

User avatar
SpaceDawg
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby SpaceDawg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:10 pm

GordonBombay wrote:
SpaceDawg wrote:
GordonBombay wrote:I had a great time. I still have some reservations about the 3rd year, wish it was optional or partial since it limits what you can take as far as elective/ specialty courses. Also not a lot of IP and that would be tough to concentrate on for th 3YP in the valley. Still, it seems like tons of positives about the school outweigh some negatives. Everyone I met was great, current students and admitted

We went somewhere else, missed the b-day party. However, I'll say that any concern about fun being had was addressed. Seems like there's plennnty to be had.



They also mentioned quite a few things they have going on in DC. Maybe there would be stuff there for you? It also seems like they really support you finding something outside of their current scope.


Yea. It seems like they're more than willing to work with you, to make their program work. it would definitely take a lot of driving and couch sleeping in DC. They mentioned a few people who did as much.


I thought they mentioned something about a shuttle too, no?

jlue05
Posts: 41
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:57 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby jlue05 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:12 pm

Has anyone received back info on loan packages and such?

User avatar
GordonBombay
Posts: 229
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:10 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby GordonBombay » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:13 pm

SpaceDawg wrote:
GordonBombay wrote:
SpaceDawg wrote:
GordonBombay wrote:I had a great time. I still have some reservations about the 3rd year, wish it was optional or partial since it limits what you can take as far as elective/ specialty courses. Also not a lot of IP and that would be tough to concentrate on for th 3YP in the valley. Still, it seems like tons of positives about the school outweigh some negatives. Everyone I met was great, current students and admitted

We went somewhere else, missed the b-day party. However, I'll say that any concern about fun being had was addressed. Seems like there's plennnty to be had.



They also mentioned quite a few things they have going on in DC. Maybe there would be stuff there for you? It also seems like they really support you finding something outside of their current scope.


Yea. It seems like they're more than willing to work with you, to make their program work. it would definitely take a lot of driving and couch sleeping in DC. They mentioned a few people who did as much.


I thought they mentioned something about a shuttle too, no?


hmm. Not that I recall. I think school in lexington is going to involve a lot of driving to other cities period. Have you decided abvout attending?

User avatar
SpaceDawg
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby SpaceDawg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:19 pm

[quote="GordonBombay
hmm. Not that I recall. I think school in lexington is going to involve a lot of driving to other cities period. Have you decided abvout attending?[/quote]




Maybe they mentioned something about a professor "shuttling" students to DC for something. Not sure. I was basically drunk/hungover the whole time I was there.

I'm about 95% sure I'm going at this point, barring unforeseen major obstacles. You still undecided?

It's weird because I see how many people are lurking on this thread and I feel like we're having a controlled conversation set up my quack scientists are something.

mgnola
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby mgnola » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:28 pm

SpaceDawg wrote: You can only come back to W&L if you never use the term "Double General" again.


Hah, agreed. I never heard the term until a kurgis fellow and a professor called me that. Good luck with your decision.

dk8
Posts: 495
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby dk8 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:33 pm

the users at the bottom of the page are browsing the entire law school acceptances forum not just this thread.

i didn't hear anything about a shuttle but one professor mentioned small stipends ($40 per week) to help offset travel costs for students driving to DC.

User avatar
SpaceDawg
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby SpaceDawg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:36 pm

mgnola wrote:
SpaceDawg wrote: You can only come back to W&L if you never use the term "Double General" again.


Hah, agreed. I never heard the term until a kurgis fellow and a professor called me that. Good luck with your decision.



You lucky fellow/lady. Thank you, you as well.

User avatar
SpaceDawg
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:59 am

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby SpaceDawg » Mon Mar 22, 2010 1:37 pm

dk8 wrote:the users at the bottom of the page are browsing the entire law school acceptances forum not just this thread.

i didn't hear anything about a shuttle but one professor mentioned small stipends ($40 per week) to help offset travel costs for students driving to DC.



Oh good. That makes me feel a little less exposed.

I see. Perhaps I am making the whole thing up then. Very possible.

statuscheckerssuck
Posts: 289
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:25 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:40 pm

Has anyone here been able to pay the deposit via paypal? I have tried numerous times and it has not been working for me.

User avatar
jaxangler
Posts: 67
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:57 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby jaxangler » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:02 pm

I was very impressed with the whole weekend. At first I was a bit taken aback by the size of Lexington, but I really found it to be a very charming town. The campus and facilities were very impressive to me, although the architecture of the law school building is slightly strange. I thought the professors and admissions staff were very personable, approachable, and caring. There's a real feeling that they will do anything in their power to help you succeed. I will be paying my deposit soon, and am excited about attending W&L in the fall.

itzbouttime
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:52 pm

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby itzbouttime » Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:05 pm

mgnola wrote:I agree with the general sentiment that W&L did a great job explaining/defending the new curriculum. I went to W&L undergrad and so had no concerns about Lexington (In fact, one current L1 who is a "Double General" finds the social life of the law students more enjoyable than that of the undergraduates). But obvious concerns about the novelty of the third year aside, it's clear that the W&L faculty are incredibly excited about making this new curriculum work and perfecting it over time.

I still have another school to visit, but W&L impressed me. Whether or not I enroll, I'm happy to see my alma mater strive to improve the welfare of its students.

I'm also happy to answer any lingering questions or doubts about Lexington - trust me, there's nothing to fear about it...


I think that W&L is going to be where I end up come August. The ASW was awesome! I loved the professors, the administration, current students, and admitted students. The town is adorable and not small at all (at least not what I thought it was going to be). However, I do have a concern.

Mgnola, do you think it will be a problem if I attend W&L and not have a car? Do you think having a car is a must (at least my first year)? By what the current students said, it sounds like a car is needed (if I want to go to Target, the mall, etc.). Or, do you think that, at least my first year, I can get away with not having a car and not feel suffocated in Lexington?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: loslakers, potatocowpower, smashbash and 10 guests