Washington and Lee Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SAE

Silver

Re: Washington and Lee

Post by SAE » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:57 am

From the open house information sheet:
We’ve had a terrific response for this event, and are expecting more than 110 students admitted to our Class of 2013.
How should we read into this? "Don't even try negotiating scholarships"?

Will this have an effect on rankings?

presh

Platinum

Post by presh » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:21 am

Last edited by presh on Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

tkicker182

New

Post by tkicker182 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:45 am

hurley81 wrote:To those who were awarded $cholarships, how quickly did W&L notify you of the award? I was accepted to the school via email on March 9, and was told recipients of merit awards would be notified by separate email. Obviously I haven't received said email, so am I SOL in regards to a scholarship? Or have they just not made the decision yet?
I didn't get a scholarship email, I only got a letter. It was postmarked exactly one week from my acceptance email.

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:52 am

tkicker182 wrote:
hurley81 wrote:To those who were awarded $cholarships, how quickly did W&L notify you of the award? I was accepted to the school via email on March 9, and was told recipients of merit awards would be notified by separate email. Obviously I haven't received said email, so am I SOL in regards to a scholarship? Or have they just not made the decision yet?
I didn't get a scholarship email, I only got a letter. It was postmarked exactly one week from my acceptance email.
I didn't get an email and I got the letter less than a week later.

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:34 am

SAE wrote:From the open house information sheet:
We’ve had a terrific response for this event, and are expecting more than 110 students admitted to our Class of 2013.
How should we read into this? "Don't even try negotiating scholarships"?

Will this have an effect on rankings?
Yes, one of the US News factors is the number of students who attend each school's ASW.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SAE

Silver

Post by SAE » Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:54 am

T14_Scholly wrote:Yes, one of the US News factors is the number of students who attend each school's ASW.

The post clearly talks about a larger than usual class size.

T14_Scholly

Bronze

Post by T14_Scholly » Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:54 pm

Only if you take it as self-evident that the people who attend ASW are likely to actually go there.

skamike

New

Post by skamike » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:44 pm

I got an email a few weeks ago, an official letter of admission last week, and just received 2 letters today, one being a partial scholly, and the other a letter explaining the benefits of attending W&L

avioguy687

New

Post by avioguy687 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 4:49 pm

ugh...another week and no movement. seriously, for those of us still waiting, with our complete dates moving around and whatnot, is there still a chance? are there still offers to be had? or am i waiting around for nothing?

i've been complete since the beginning of december. surely they are keeping me around for a reason, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:48 pm

avioguy687 wrote:ugh...another week and no movement. seriously, for those of us still waiting, with our complete dates moving around and whatnot, is there still a chance? are there still offers to be had? or am i waiting around for nothing?

i've been complete since the beginning of december. surely they are keeping me around for a reason, right?
I'm wondering the same thing. W&L is the school I use as an example of the idea that you are being considered until they tell you a decision has been made, because they said that very thing.

Unlike you, who's been complete for three months, I've only been complete for 11 days. But the school is the biggest reach I applied to. It would absolutely unsurprising for me to be rejected. If anything, I'd be one of those cases where, if I was accepted, there would be a fairly long discussion and a little arguing back and forth.

At this point, I guess I am wondering whether they reject people automatically and then tell them within a day or two, or does it all go to a committee that votes on it? I mean, what's the point in delaying a rejection? It seems like the idea of a committee voting on someone with a 2.1 and a 140 would be a waste of time, even if only took a minute. And how often would this potential committee meet? So I am hoping that I am indeed being actively considered.

prelaw10

New

Post by prelaw10 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:52 pm

True, but the number of people applying with a 2.1 and 140 are a handful. There may be more cases of a 3.7 and 140 and good softs; or a 2.1 and a 170.

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Fri Mar 19, 2010 10:58 pm

prelaw10 wrote:True, but the number of people applying with a 2.1 and 140 are a handful. There may be more cases of a 3.7 and 140 and good softs; or a 2.1 and a 170.
That's true. I was obviously exaggerating. But at a 159 for my highest, and a 2.47 for my LSAC GPA, am I really so different? Well, a little, but I am not really going to wow them in any case. Perhaps my LSAT is high enough to not make me an automatic reject.

But in any event, if I was an automatic reject, would the school hesitate to tell me? What could be gained by doing so? So I guess the real question is, how often are decisions finalized at this particular school, if it's different for each school? In other words, if my application was read on a Monday and the person thought I should be rejected, would it be finalized by the end of that week, or would I wait for a meeting that doesn't occur on a regular basis?

savagecheater

Bronze

Post by savagecheater » Sat Mar 20, 2010 12:42 am

b.j. wrote:
prelaw10 wrote:True, but the number of people applying with a 2.1 and 140 are a handful. There may be more cases of a 3.7 and 140 and good softs; or a 2.1 and a 170.
That's true. I was obviously exaggerating. But at a 159 for my highest, and a 2.47 for my LSAC GPA, am I really so different? Well, a little, but I am not really going to wow them in any case. Perhaps my LSAT is high enough to not make me an automatic reject.

But in any event, if I was an automatic reject, would the school hesitate to tell me? What could be gained by doing so? So I guess the real question is, how often are decisions finalized at this particular school, if it's different for each school? In other words, if my application was read on a Monday and the person thought I should be rejected, would it be finalized by the end of that week, or would I wait for a meeting that doesn't occur on a regular basis?
Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you're 11 days complete they haven't got to your file yet.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:36 am

savagecheater wrote:
b.j. wrote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you're 11 days complete they haven't got to your file yet.
Why would you be bursting my bubble? It doesn't surprise me that they haven't gotten to my file yet. I'm curious, though: how can you be so sure? And is it the same at every school? If I just went under review at Villanova on 3/17, for instance, so there as well, I am not under review--is that the case? I mean, I know I applied later than most, but wouldn't this also mean that there are fewer left to evaluate?

I hate to be so ignorant of this process, but once they actually review my file, how quickly will they tell me they've made a decision? Is there a committee vote at every school for every applicant? If so, how often does this committee meet? Or will I realistically

Spaceman Spiff

Bronze

Post by Spaceman Spiff » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:43 pm

savagecheater wrote:
b.j. wrote:

Not necessarily. I got the status checker email the day after I got my acceptance letter. I'm not sure how they work through these things, but it isn't in order of submission.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:52 am

Well ladies and gentlemen, it looks like Washington & Lee is the school for me. Anyone looking for a roommate?

Huskrfn127

New

Post by Huskrfn127 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:42 pm

adh07d wrote:Well ladies and gentlemen, it looks like Washington & Lee is the school for me. Anyone looking for a roommate?
Were you at the ASW they just had? I was there and got a really good feeling about it being right for me as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:46 pm

Huskrfn127 wrote:
adh07d wrote:Well ladies and gentlemen, it looks like Washington & Lee is the school for me. Anyone looking for a roommate?
Were you at the ASW they just had? I was there and got a really good feeling about it being right for me as well.
It was a pretty good time. I was kinda pissed that they ran out of chicken at the dinner though.

statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:59 pm

dk8 wrote:
Huskrfn127 wrote:
It was a pretty good time. I was kinda pissed that they ran out of chicken at the dinner though.

To all of ya'll that went...what did you guys end up doing at night? I am curious because I will be at the next one?

dk8

Bronze

Post by dk8 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:03 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:
dk8 wrote:
Huskrfn127 wrote:

To all of ya'll that went...what did you guys end up doing at night? I am curious because I will be at the next one?
ate dinner then went to the bar across the street. it was packed and was 98% law students/admitted students.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:04 pm

I didn't go to this one nor will I be going to the next one. But good money + good word of mouth + waitlist from vandy = W&L is the right choice.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:05 pm

dk8 wrote:
dk8 wrote:
Huskrfn127 wrote:

ate dinner then went to the bar across the street. it was packed and was 98% law students/admitted students.
Cool. Sounds like a good time. Any other things stand out about the weekend?

Huskrfn127

New

Post by Huskrfn127 » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:13 pm

I like that they essentially pay for everything. They book and pay for your hotel for the nights, they covered coffee the first evening as well as dinner the second night, and will reimburse you up to $300 for travel expenses.

The actual school-learning events are pretty much par for the course, featuring the usual career services/classes/tour stuff. They did really push for the 3L program, and I have to say any reservations I had about it went out the window. I'm pretty confident it will be a big help in learning how to be a lawyer, instead of just how to think like one.

statuscheckerssuck

Bronze

Post by statuscheckerssuck » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:22 pm

For those of you that have made your decision after ASW, join the facebook group!!!
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=3 ... 375&ref=ts

SpaceDawg

Bronze

Post by SpaceDawg » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:03 pm

Huskrfn127 wrote:
I like that they essentially pay for everything. They book and pay for your hotel for the nights, they covered coffee the first evening as well as dinner the second night, and will reimburse you up to $300 for travel expenses.

The actual school-learning events are pretty much par for the course, featuring the usual career services/classes/tour stuff. They did really push for the 3L program, and I have to say any reservations I had about it went out the window. I'm pretty confident it will be a big help in learning how to be a lawyer, instead of just how to think like one.
Completely agree. I also like how they cleared up the issue of Dean Smolla "running out on the program." That it was really the professors who created the program and the Dean was more just the poster boy.

I have to say I went thinking that Lexington and the students would be meh, but it ended up being quite the opposite. I have toured a few schools now and I think they are the only students I met that seemed genuinely and sincerely happy to be there. And not the "planted" students, but the drunken ones stumbling out of the bathroom and beer ponging at the birthday party.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”