Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
algren

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby algren » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:42 pm

HERetICal wrote:
Burberry by Burberry wrote:I called W&L to see if I could get more scholarship money than I was originally awarded.

Summary:
-There is no formal appeals process.
-The amount offered was the best they could do.
-They don't have the same budget as other schools.
-There are many factors I should take into consideration, such as the above, but also what each school has to offer.

Basically, I can no longer keep W&L in the running. Honestly, I'm disappointed. Back in October, W&L was one of my top choices, and the school is not really trying to keep me. At first, I was thrilled with the money, but then I was offended by the amount offered when I saw that people with comparable numbers received more money.

I agree. I'm in the same boat. I heard from admissions that they "might allocate more money to students with scholarships AFTER the 1st seat deposit is paid." Sound like pay to play to anyone?

Seems the story of most every law school.

jaxangler

Postby jaxangler » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:52 pm

I also tried to get more scholarship out of W&L, although I'm just happy to be admitted. I think they have a pretty generic response to requests for more aid, as everyone is repeating what was sent to me in an email. I truly feel like it is worth the cost, at least to myself, especially considering the cost of living.

Katherine

Postby Katherine » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:48 pm

Anyone going to the waitlisted preview day next month?? The letter said that a limited number of interviews are available, but whenever I call they say they will mail more information soon.... I'm getting a little worried bc the preview day is april 9th and lexington isn't the easiest or cheapest to fly into....

nol607

Postby nol607 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:56 pm

I'm planning on it but it's tough without that information. Agreed on flights. I was able to get a flight from halfway across the country to NYC for 200 a week in advance, but a flight to the much closer Roanake (?) is already ~400

HERetICal

Postby HERetICal » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:09 pm

nol607 wrote:I'm planning on it but it's tough without that information. Agreed on flights. I was able to get a flight from halfway across the country to NYC for 200 a week in advance, but a flight to the much closer Roanake (?) is already ~400

You might save money flying into Dulles/DC or Richmond and catching a bus. See if there's a greyhound station near lexington.

Katherine

Postby Katherine » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:11 pm

I think my best bet is flying to dulles and staying with family. I'm just hesitant to spend that much on a plane ticket before knowing if I even have an interview. I looked a few days ago and it isn't too bad. I feel your pain though I'm in Texas. Not a cheap ticket.

dk8

Postby dk8 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:12 pm

anyone found out anything on how to get reimbursed if you're driving? i'm driving from nova so i won't need much but it would help.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:16 pm

dk8 wrote:anyone found out anything on how to get reimbursed if you're driving? i'm driving from nova so i won't need much but it would help.

No matter how you get to Lexington you just keep your receipts and turn then in to the accounting department at the end of ASW.

southerngrace

Postby southerngrace » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:20 pm

Katherine wrote:Anyone going to the waitlisted preview day next month?? The letter said that a limited number of interviews are available, but whenever I call they say they will mail more information soon.... I'm getting a little worried bc the preview day is april 9th and lexington isn't the easiest or cheapest to fly into....

I might have to go ... this waitlist is the only response I've gotten from any school so far, so unless I have other options I will be there.

T14_Scholly

Postby T14_Scholly » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:37 pm

Burberry by Burberry wrote:I called W&L to see if I could get more scholarship money than I was originally awarded.

Summary:
-There are many factors I should take into consideration, such as the above, but also what each school has to offer.

Basically, I can no longer keep W&L in the running. Honestly, I'm disappointed. Back in October, W&L was one of my top choices, and the school is not really trying to keep me. At first, I was thrilled with the money, but then I was offended by the amount offered when I saw that people with comparable numbers received more money.

Offended? You're retarded.

theseus636

Postby theseus636 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:55 pm

Just withdrew today. Hope it helps somebody out.

choochoo

Postby choochoo » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:31 pm

Does W&L provide travel reimbursements for waitlisted students or is that only for admitted students??

Jaggles

Postby Jaggles » Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:29 pm

HERetICal wrote:
nol607 wrote:I'm planning on it but it's tough without that information. Agreed on flights. I was able to get a flight from halfway across the country to NYC for 200 a week in advance, but a flight to the much closer Roanake (?) is already ~400

You might save money flying into Dulles/DC or Richmond and catching a bus. See if there's a greyhound station near lexington.

Check flying into Lynchburg. It usually is cheaper and only slightly further than Roanoke from Lexington.

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:17 pm

Katherine wrote:I think my best bet is flying to dulles and staying with family. I'm just hesitant to spend that much on a plane ticket before knowing if I even have an interview. I looked a few days ago and it isn't too bad. I feel your pain though I'm in Texas. Not a cheap ticket.

I hear you. I'm in Dallas, and a flight to Richmond is is roughly $800. Fortunately, I had just enough miles for the round trip tickets. Otherwise, I would've had to forget it. As it is, my wife won't be able to come, which totally sucks. Although, it does get her out of the 45-minute "What to Expect as your Student Navigates Law School" lecture.

Katherine

Postby Katherine » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:32 pm

Haha I'm in Dallas too. Flights to Dulles went down to $287 so I think I'm going to have to do that before it hits 300 again.

jaxangler

Postby jaxangler » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:30 pm

So what's the deal with everyone meeting up on Friday?

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:31 pm

T14_Scholly wrote:

Summary:

Offended? You're retarded.

Your 'tar is fantastic. Did you get a phat t14 scholly?

primusux

Postby primusux » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:44 pm

Having never been to one of these can I ask what people are planning on wearing Saturday?
My flight probably won't get in until after coffee/convo on the schedule.

Maillot Jaune

Postby Maillot Jaune » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:56 pm

Jax,
Those of us who are getting in early on Friday are meeting up. Since everyone is getting in from about noon until right before coffee, plans are pretty open at the moment. PM me if you want more details.

Primusux,
From what I have heard jeans and t-shirts/sweatshirts for the day time are common and then more tuned up fare is recommended for Saturday night (north of jeans and a t-shirt, south of a suit).

See everyone this weekend.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:09 pm

i'm on the 11:30 pickup, was planning on a walking around town a little, probably find a place that serves beer and has the bball games on. i'm sure I'm not the only one with that idea.

jaxangler

Postby jaxangler » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Panther7 wrote:i'm on the 11:30 pickup, was planning on a walking around town a little, probably find a place that serves beer and has the bball games on. i'm sure I'm not the only one with that idea.

I am definitely good with beer and basketball.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:11 pm

jaxangler wrote:
Panther7 wrote:i'm on the 11:30 pickup, was planning on a walking around town a little, probably find a place that serves beer and has the bball games on. i'm sure I'm not the only one with that idea.

I am definitely good with beer and basketball.

when you getting into town?

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:11 pm

Damn you for getting to watch basketball while I'm driving!

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:14 pm

lawschooliseasy wrote:

well, to be fair, i have to get up at 4 am...

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:17 pm

Panther7 wrote:
lawschooliseasy wrote:

well, to be fair, i have to get up at 4 am...

I have to get up at five! At least I get to watch Kansas play tomorrow.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”