Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
algren

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby algren » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:37 pm

eandy wrote:
algren wrote:New to this thread. I just had a quick question:

Does W&L notify you of admission through the status checker, or do you just get the "letter mailed" thing and then wait to see?

I see "Decision mailed" on 3/11 in my checker, but wasn't sure if it was like Tulane where that means, "Denied."

I think it means waitlist. We all seem to have 164s and 165s(the 3/11 mailed crowd). People have been getting admit and reject emails but WLs have all be snail.

That makes sense. I have figured for awhile I would be a WL here. Just got WL'd at Georgia as well, and I fully expect to be WL at about 2-3 more schools. Awesome. :-(

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:46 pm

Maillot Jaune wrote:SpaceDawg, 8 pm?
Whoever is in early Friday, pm me your cell and i'll shoot you back.
Two votes for underlining?

I'm coming from Philly and with traffic should get there around that time.

Underlining sounds good. Tasteful, subtle.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Fri Mar 12, 2010 12:48 pm

HERetICal wrote:
cr073137 wrote:Does anyone know if the second batch of scholarship got sent out? I got admitted in January and I havent heard anything, just 3 letters from deans and faculty. Does this mean I'm getting any?

Mine came 2-3 weeks after my admission letter.

Same

cpboy77

Postby cpboy77 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:01 pm

SpaceDawg wrote:
Maillot Jaune wrote:SpaceDawg, 8 pm?
Whoever is in early Friday, pm me your cell and i'll shoot you back.
Two votes for underlining?

I'm coming from Philly and with traffic should get there around that time.

Underlining sounds good. Tasteful, subtle.

I'll do the underline thang too if that's what the consensus is.

gords329

Postby gords329 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:03 pm

cr073137 wrote:Does anyone know if the second batch of scholarship got sent out? I got admitted in January and I havent heard anything, just 3 letters from deans and faculty. Does this mean I'm getting any?

I'm wondering the same thing. I got accepted in mid-February and haven't received scholarship info either. I actually called and spoke to someone at W & L to see if I am being considered for scholly $. Eveyone who is accepted is technically being considered for $, but I was curious to know if I might have a letter on the way or something. I was told that I would receive an email concerning my status in this process. That was a few days ago, and I have not received any communication from them. I was told that they do not send any type of a "sorry, but you're not getting any scholly $ from us" letter. That's understandable, as that is a crappy letter to have to send to people, but at the same time it sucks to be sitting in scholly $ purgatory as seat deposit deadlines approach. Maybe they're waiting to see if some of the $80k-$100k offer recipients will withdraw?

My lsat is on the lower end of their spectrum, so I am not expecting a ton of $, but sticker price is just too damn pricey.

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:40 pm

I didn't want to be the first neurotic individual to bring it up, but have any of you who are definitely attending thought about housing yet? It seems the only way to find somewhere to live is to go spend a few days there being shown places by realtors. Also, will you all be planning to live alone or try and find a roommate?

Thomas Jefferson

Postby Thomas Jefferson » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:40 pm

Does W&L notify you of admission through the status checker, or do you just get the "letter mailed" thing and then wait to see?

I see "Decision mailed" on 3/11 in my checker, but wasn't sure if it was like Tulane where that means, "Denied."

It could be either an acceptance or a rejection. Note: the acceptances come in small envelopes.

jaxangler

Postby jaxangler » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:03 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:I didn't want to be the first neurotic individual to bring it up, but have any of you who are definitely attending thought about housing yet? It seems the only way to find somewhere to live is to go spend a few days there being shown places by realtors. Also, will you all be planning to live alone or try and find a roommate?

I've been searching the net for places, but it's not the easiest process. I wouldn't mind living with others, keep the cost down some. The COL is ridiculously cheap in Lexington.

general100

Postby general100 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:07 pm

jaxangler wrote:
statuscheckerssuck wrote:I didn't want to be the first neurotic individual to bring it up, but have any of you who are definitely attending thought about housing yet? It seems the only way to find somewhere to live is to go spend a few days there being shown places by realtors. Also, will you all be planning to live alone or try and find a roommate?

You should check out the undergrad and law school campus notices -- students post apartment and house vacancies pretty often, especially in April/May.

undergrad = http://campusnotices.wlu.edu
law school = http://law.wlu.edu/technology/page.asp?pageid=76

Hope this helps...

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:11 pm

jaxangler wrote:

I've been searching the net for places, but it's not the easiest process. I wouldn't mind living with others, keep the cost down some. The COL is ridiculously cheap in Lexington.

Yeah I am with you on the living with others to keep the costs down. I would rather live with other girls, so if any of you out there are thinking the same thing let me know. I plan on taking a trip to Lex again after the April ASW to look at places (I am only 2.5 hours away).

robin600

Postby robin600 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:14 pm

Any of the WLers hear anything about preview day?

ziggystardust23

Postby ziggystardust23 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:17 pm

eandy wrote:

I think it means waitlist. We all seem to have 164s and 165s(the 3/11 mailed crowd). People have been getting admit and reject emails but WLs have all be snail.

False, My status went to DM and I was accepted a few days letter by snail mail and did not receive an email.

eandy

Postby eandy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:19 pm

ziggystardust23 wrote:
eandy wrote:

False, My status went to DM and I was accepted a few days letter by snail mail and did not receive an email.

I'm talking about people who have been accepted or rejected in the past week or so.

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:25 pm

jaxangler wrote:

I'm considering the on campus law student housing. It seems like a nice enough set up so I'm planning on checking it out during my visit. Might take some of the stress out of searching for an apartment for the first year until I know what the off campus housing situation is like.

http://law.wlu.edu/admissions/page.asp?pageid=309

I'm pretty messy though, so it might be best for me to live by myself...

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:38 pm

jmhendri wrote:
jaxangler wrote:

I'm considering the on campus law student housing. It seems like a nice enough set up so I'm planning on checking it out during my visit. Might take some of the stress out of searching for an apartment for the first year until I know what the off campus housing situation is like.

Most of the students I spoke to when I visited seemed pretty adamant about avoiding the on campus housing. I didn't really get the specifics, since I did not plan on living there anyway, but I just thought I would share that sentiment. I have the name of two realtors that are reputed to be pretty good, so if anyone would like them, PM me.

On another note, I have been trying to pay my deposit for weeks (want to get that expense out of the way), but as some of you have surely noticed, the link is not up on the website to do so. I called today and spoke to Andrea Hilton, she seemed surprised that the link wasn't up and said she would be trying to fix this in the next few hours.

smartin

Postby smartin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:44 pm

My status checker changed to "Decision in the mail" yesterday. A real reach at 161/3.2x, 3yrs WE, but I wrote an addendum about "Why Washington & Lee." I live in my own alternate reality where, maybe, they're a little more holistic about this process.

smartin

Postby smartin » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:47 pm

Sorry to post again so soon, but does anyone know if there have been any rejections so far in this cycle? Or just admits and WLs?

Spaceman Spiff

Postby Spaceman Spiff » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:52 pm

smartin wrote:Sorry to post again so soon, but does anyone know if there have been any rejections so far in this cycle? Or just admits and WLs?

Yes to the former.

itzbouttime

Postby itzbouttime » Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:05 pm

jmhendri wrote:
jaxangler wrote:

Statuscheckerssuck: If you don't mind, can you PM me the names and contact info of the two realtors from Lexington. I'm coming from NY and was planning to live on campus just to avoid the commute to school and additional bills. However, because of your post (and I do thank you for that information), I plan on talking to some of the current students about on-campus living vs. off-campus living.

I would love to live with someone else (preferably a girl just like me 8) ) so if anyone is interested let me know. I'm clean, not a big party person, but I do like to go out and have drinks, love sports and I'm always up for anything and a good time :D . --> Wow, I feel like I'm writing an ad for myself on Match.com 8)

crw09

Postby crw09 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:18 pm

I'm also a girl who will (probably) be looking for housing in Lexington. I'm pretty neat, though not too nutty about it, and like to cook. I have a very awesome small dog, so I know that will narrow my options and might make it hard to find a roommate, but if anyone would like to live with a pet without having to take on any of the responsibility, or if there are any other pet owners, let me know!

ddav87

Postby ddav87 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:39 pm

Decision mailed 3/11 i feel the Waitlist coming like a freight train. It's a reach for me anyways but Waitlist at least feels better than an outright rejection.

eandy

Postby eandy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:19 pm

WL by email.

Dear Ms. xxxxxxxx

Greetings from Lexington, VA!

I'm writing to let you know that a letter placing your name on the waiting list for our Class of 2013 is on its way to you by post.

blah blah blah preview day blah blah blah

nol607

Postby nol607 » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:20 pm

ditto. Do they reimburse, and if you get accepted off the waitlist are you paying sticker?

southerngrace

Postby southerngrace » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:22 pm

eandy wrote:WL by email.

Dear Ms. xxxxxxxx

Greetings from Lexington, VA!

I'm writing to let you know that a letter placing your name on the waiting list for our Class of 2013 is on its way to you by post.

blah blah blah preview day blah blah blah

+1

rodewan

Postby rodewan » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:23 pm

nol607 wrote:ditto. Do they reimburse, and if you get accepted off the waitlist are you paying sticker?

ditto here as well. they said they will send out details about preview day later (i guess that would include details about reimbursement), and that meeting them firsthand can "enhance" our chances of admission. blahhh, kinda bummed right now, getting wl'ed everywhere.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”