Washington and Lee

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SpaceDawg

Re: Washington and Lee

Postby SpaceDawg » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:37 pm

[quote="sibley]

Gosh. You guys all seem way too.... um... homegrown... for me. Maybe I should withdraw and give my scholly to someone who likes beer and knows how to make white light'nin =/[/quote]

I'm a city girl. I just need my alone time. And since there are no neighborhood drunk bars to disappear into, I will head to the woods.

forty-two

Postby forty-two » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:38 pm

I'm definitely looking forward to ASD and meeting everyone...woot!

jaxangler

Postby jaxangler » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:39 pm

I'm from a city of over 1 million, but I definitely enjoy the outdoors and a good cold beer. I'm not necessarily sure that this makes me "homegrown", but perhaps it does.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:40 pm

HERetICal wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:I was thinking about building my own still this summer. Might be a good idea at W&L. I'm curious about the legality of it if I don't sell any of it. What do y'all think?

The distillation of any liquor is illegal. That being said, theoretically speaking, if you're interested in how to build a still and distill different types of liquor and age them, I could probably be of assistance.

I have always wanted to try brewing my own beer. Can you help with that too?

Can I be the moonshine tester? No charge.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:41 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:What the hell is going on in here. You guys are opening up your own distilleries?

Also, Spacedawg you're cool. But, you sure do mess an impressive number of quotes.

I know I'm horrible at it. I think someone messed it up before me on this particular thread. But I have no excuse for the others. And thanks!

HERetICal

Postby HERetICal » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:42 pm

SpaceDawg wrote:
HERetICal wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:I was thinking about building my own still this summer. Might be a good idea at W&L. I'm curious about the legality of it if I don't sell any of it. What do y'all think?

The distillation of any liquor is illegal. That being said, theoretically speaking, if you're interested in how to build a still and distill different types of liquor and age them, I could probably be of assistance.

I brew beer. Maybe we could have a W&L Brewing Group...... or a W&L AA Group.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:43 pm

I'm from a rural area of Vermont, we drink in the woods here. I like this plan.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:45 pm

HERetICal wrote:
SpaceDawg wrote:
HERetICal wrote:

I brew beer. Maybe we could have a W&L Brewing Group...... or a W&L AA Group.

Yes! I like the sound of just one of those.

HERetICal

Postby HERetICal » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:45 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:I'm from a rural area of Vermont, we drink in the woods here. I like this plan.

I'm from 2 hours south of Lexington. Nothing there but trees and mountains. I think we'll all get along fine.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:46 pm

HERetICal wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:I'm from a rural area of Vermont, we drink in the woods here. I like this plan.

I'm from 2 hours south of Lexington. Nothing there but trees and mountains. I think we'll all get along fine.

At least we all know we have thirst in common.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:47 pm

I love drinking in the woods. There's one real hidden advantage to it: much harder to get yourself into trouble. Last time we went out we forgot cups. We ended up drinking bourbon out of hollowed out potatoes.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:49 pm

HERetICal wrote:

Is that a Virginia law?

I know many people in Wisconsin who brew their own beer.

jaxangler

Postby jaxangler » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:51 pm

Panther7 wrote:
HERetICal wrote:

Is that a Virginia law?

I believe this is just for liquor, not beer.

HERetICal

Postby HERetICal » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:53 pm

jaxangler wrote:
Panther7 wrote:
HERetICal wrote:

Is that a Virginia law?

Correct. After Prohibition ended, the ban on making wine was immediately lifted. Beer was legalized in 1978. Liquors, distilling any alcohol, is still illegal in all 50 states, per Federal Law.

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:54 pm

MarkRenton wrote:I love drinking in the woods. There's one real hidden advantage to it: much harder to get yourself into trouble. Last time we went out we forgot cups. We ended up drinking bourbon out of hollowed out potatoes.

You're much classier than I am. I would have just drunk straight from the bottle.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:55 pm

SpaceDawg wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:I love drinking in the woods. There's one real hidden advantage to it: much harder to get yourself into trouble. Last time we went out we forgot cups. We ended up drinking bourbon out of hollowed out potatoes.

You're much classier than I am. I would have just drunk straight from the bottle.

There were more people than bottles. It was an issue of practicality

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:58 pm

HERetICal wrote:
jaxangler wrote:
Panther7 wrote:
HERetICal wrote:The distillation of any liquor is illegal. That being said, theoretically speaking, if you're interested in how to build a still and distill different types of liquor and age them, I could probably be of assistance.

Is that a Virginia law?

Correct. After Prohibition ended, the ban on making wine was immediately lifted. Beer was legalized in 1978. Liquors, distilling any alcohol, is still illegal in all 50 states, per Federal Law.

I'm sure there's a way around it if you don't mind going away from tradition. Is there a way to create some sort of liquor from fruit? in a process that isn't a far leap from making wine?

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:00 pm

I think the distinction is by alcohol content, so it's hard to get around. All liquors are derived from an organic base. Vodka = potatoes, Bourbon = corn mash. So even when brewing beer, you're supposed to stay under some threshold.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:03 pm

MarkRenton wrote:I think the distinction is by alcohol content, so it's hard to get around. All liquors are derived from an organic base. Vodka = potatoes, Bourbon = corn mash. So even when brewing beer, you're supposed to stay under some threshold.

--ImageRemoved--

SpaceDawg

Postby SpaceDawg » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:04 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
SpaceDawg wrote:

There were more people than bottles. It was an issue of practicality

Nope. Still would have done it. Although the last time I did it my coworkers and I got kicked out of this nasty lapdance/bar place that was connected to a deli where you had to move an ATM machine to get to the entrance door.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:07 pm

Panther7 wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:I think the distinction is by alcohol content, so it's hard to get around. All liquors are derived from an organic base. Vodka = potatoes, Bourbon = corn mash. So even when brewing beer, you're supposed to stay under some threshold.

--ImageRemoved--

5th grade memories.

I thought bourbon had to do with the lyme content of the water source... according to the jack daniels commercials, anyway. But you can't fine someone for their anaerobic bacteria being out of control, can you? I mean, that's not really their fault... that's like fining someone for having 4 feet of snow in their yard and messing with the neighborhood's beauty. There must be some other mechanism of definition.

HERetICal

Postby HERetICal » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:09 pm

sibley wrote:
Panther7 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

5th grade memories.

I thought bourbon had to do with the lyme content of the water source... according to the jack daniels commercials, anyway. But you can't fine someone for their anaerobic bacteria being out of control, can you? I mean, that's not really their fault... that's like fining someone for having 4 feet of snow in their yard and messing with the neighborhood's beauty. There must be some other mechanism of definition.

It's by process. Distillation = illegal.
Beers and Wines can only be fermented to certain levels of alcoholic content before the alcohol kills the yeast.

MarkRenton

Postby MarkRenton » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:11 pm

sibley wrote:
Panther7 wrote:

--ImageRemoved--

5th grade memories.

Jack Daniels isn't bourbon. It's a Tennessee Whiskey. :) There's other parts to being a bourbon as well besides the corn mash. Like being distilled in oak barrels. I'm not too sure what distinguishes a TN whiskey from bourbon besides location of distilling, but there's definitely a difference.

Panther7

Postby Panther7 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:13 pm

HERetICal wrote:
sibley wrote:
Panther7 wrote:

5th grade memories.

It's by process. Distillation = illegal.
Beers and Wines can only be fermented to certain levels of alcoholic content before the alcohol kills the yeast.

Putting salt in hand sanitizer creates pure ethyl alcohol. Is that illegal?

jaxangler

Postby jaxangler » Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:13 pm

If there are any ad comms lurking they are going to think they let in a bunch of drunks lol.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”